Nage Waza (Throwing Techniques)

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by sshh, Sep 16, 2004.

1. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

As promised in these threads:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300289#post300289

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300230#post300230

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300296#post300296

I've decided to devote a separate thread to the discussion of throwing techniques and anything related to them.

From "Training Thread:"

Practicing dive-rolls has many practical uses, one of which is getting used to hitting the ground a little harder than usual, which comes in handy when someone is throwing you. In fact, one of the best ways to practice ukemi is to do them in response to a throw or other kind of takedown manouever - or to just have your partner hold one of your hands and "assist" the fall or roll. This way, you have to learn how to fall/roll when one of your limbs is not under your control.

From "Booting my Bad Budo:"

Hip throws - there are four basic types of hip throw I have seen in taijutsu training (I mentioned three varieties in the aforementioned thread - I forgot one).
    1. Koshinage: this is the basic hip throw - using the hips as a leverage fulcrum and throwing the person over.
    2. Haraigoshi: this is a sweeping-hips throw. It is hard to describe, but for contrast, in the regular koshinage, the hips are placed into position and left stationary and the throw is done over them. For haraigoshi, the hips are swung into place and continue to flow through as the throw takes place.
    3. Hanegoshi: similarly to haraigoshi, this throw involves more movement of the hips than the basic koshinage. In this case, instead of sweeping the hips through in a horizontal manner, the hips are moved into position (low), and then snapped up vertically (by straightening the legs) lifting the person well off their feet before starting the throw over.
    4. Takiotoshi koshinage: this would be the opposite of hanegoshi. Instead of entering low and snapping up, the entry is pretty much the same as any of the above throws, but instead of throwing the person completely over, once they are off the ground and essencially being carried on the hips, one side-steps quickly out of the way, or drops down and out allowing the opponent to fall into the empty space.

Vocabulary notes:
    koshi/goshi = hips
    nage = throw
    harai/barai = sweeping
    hane = snapping
    taki = waterfall
    otoshi = drop

From "Ukemi Taihenjutsu:"

Yoko nagare belongs to a class of throws called "ryusui iki" which means to move like flowing water. Similar in feeling to the taki otoshi throws which also drop and flow like water falling (hence the name "waterfall drop"), the ryusui iki throws not only fall, but continue to flow like water running down a slope.

They are:
    Tomoe nage (semi-circular arc throw),
    Tachi nagare (standing flow),
    Yoko nagare (sideways flow),
    Temakura (hand pillow), &
    Kuruma nage (wheel throw).

I won't go into descriptions of those now, just wanted to make known that there are numerous similar throws in taijutsu.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

You forgot the most popular Ninpou throw.

Itami Nage (Pain Throw)

If you don't know it ask your sensei, I won't tell poeple this on a public forum.

3. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

No, I didn't forget itami nage. It just wasn't part of the two subjects (hip throws and sacrifice throws) that I covered in the first post.

I learned itami nage as more of a general concept than a specific throw. I'm sure there's a kata somewhere out of one of the ryu that is called itami nage and has a specific method to it though.

As for most popular? Depends on your point of view, i.e. giving or receiving. :D

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

actually Itami Nage can be a type of hip throw. I was referring to a specific technqiue but you are right, you can use the idea of Itami Nage in almost any throw.