Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Thursday 11.11.

Morning Taiji
    I thought about not going to class again in favour of home solo training. I might benefit more if I practiced the whole form 3 or so times at home, but on second thought, chances are I'd just skip it in the end, so I decided to go to class.
    Silk reeling didn't go as well as yesterday, but I put more emphasis on keeping my back straight, etc. After we did the whole form once, again, I focused on back straight and on the body's axis, not moving in the waist, which didn't go that well. I realised I got into habit of starting some motions from the waist instead of the hips. Need to get rid of that.
    The teacher then walked us through the first 25 moves stopping briefly in the main position at the end of each move to check our stance, straighten the back, etc. For like 10 mins then he talked about how to practice taiji, that we need to be mindful of some things, how to practice by ourselves, etc. Before I knew it, the class was over.

2. Nachi

Thursday 11.11.

Karate
    My knees hurt a little and I was sleepy, so I was hoping for perhaps not too a harsh training. A mom of one kid had some questions about upcoming events, so I answered them the best I can, but wanted to confirm with sensei. So when the kids class finished, I went in to find sensei, only to be told he wasn't there... (the class was led by a sempai who helps there). Uh.We didn't have any message, so Sett and I started the class. We were planning to do a Sanchin training the next time, so we did that. Well, Sett did, I only assisted.
    I was either demonstrating in the front or went by the people one by one. Sure enough, straightening the back along a stick we had was very hard for everyone, some of the kids couldn't do it no matter what. I understand, some time ago, I couldn't either. I didn't try today, but if I could do it, it would be only thanks to all of my taiji teacher's reminders.We went throught the kata over and over. As expected, two of the teenagers felt dizzy and had to sit down for a bit. The training was very relaxed, but the breathing can get someone to their knees when they're not used to it, and we were still breathing relaxed at that point. For the last half an hour maybe sensei arrived. He didn't want to disturb Sett's class, so he only went around, helping people with the posture and technique, Sett and I included. I haven't been practicing Sanchin at all lately and was seeing things I should improve.

Karate - advanced class
    Since sensei arrived and hasn't been there for long, he asked us if Sett and I, and the sempai had a bit of time to practice our bunkai. We had. I was glad there would be and advanced class, although, honestly, I haven't really been practicing bunkai since the start of covid, probably, so apart from me forgetting the newest, I knew they'd be awful and wished for sensei not to see. Sure enough, they were just as awful as I expected. I had trouble even remembering the newest ones - for Sanseru - and struggled a bit with the previous - for Shisochin as well. The last we did were Seiyunchin bunkai, which we practiced with the sempai. At the time we first needed Seiyunchin bunkai for grading, we prepared quite thoroughly and practiced them quite a lot, so I haven't forgotten these, but my technique and coordinaiton was still bad. Very bad. We spent about an hour doing this. All only relaxed and careful - my knees hurt. But during this practice they softened and relaxed a bit, so that was nice.

2,5 hours of training, only burned some 450 kcal...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  3. Nachi

Friday 12.11.

Bike
    I picked my bike up from the service and rode the short distance home. The ride was nice. I had a hat, no heavy backpak and no wind was blowing, so the whole experience was much more pleasant than last week :)

Around 12 km and nearly 300 kcal.

4. Nachi

Sunday 14.11.

Rest day.
    We were invited to Sett's parents for lunch (they had prepared boar meat. It might have very well been my first time eating boar) and were asked to help with work in the garden, so we did. Because I wasn't counting on that and had still some chores to do at home, I didn't go to an extra karate class happening in the afternoon, but went home to cook instead. I nearly wasn't able to do that as the smells started making me nauseaus and I didn't feel well in general, my temperature even slightly rose. I did have a bit of wine for lunch, but only about half a litre and that shouldn't be it at all. Anyway, I was glad I didn't go to class. The ill feeling passed as fast as it appeared, though.

Monday 15.11.

Karate kids - teaching
    Sett took care of the warm-up and Junbi Undo, then I taught the San Dan Gi Ichi and before it, just for review the three basic blocks. We planned on doing a bit of pads in the last ten minutes, but in the end we only had 5 mins left, so we let the kids play a game instead.

Karate adults - teaching
    I remembered a warm-up we haven't done in a long while (one I stile from one CrossFit class as I found it nice): 6 rounds of: 6 push-ups, bear walk across the dojo, 6 squats and frog jumps back. I cheated a bit on the frog jumps, they didn't do good to my knees, so I appologized in advance.
    After Junbi Undo we did Sanchin kata twice and Sett had an idea to take out chi-ishi to do a bit of practice with that so that when we do hojo undo, everyone has an idea what to do with them and it was a nice short work-out. Just as we were handing the chi-ishi out, I told Sett right awa that there are (which is great!) more people than chi-ischi and it doesn't look well for us. Indeed. The three smaller kids got a stone for a bit of a different practice - the chi-ishi would be too heavy for them and the rest of the "normal" ones were handed out, so I had to take the one bigger and Sett got the biggest. Well, For most of the exercises, if I payed attention, I was fine with mine. It was not that much bigger than the usual ones. However, Sett's was about twice as big :D But he did well.
    In the last half an our, we taught the Gekisai Dai Ichi bunkai - it is a nice practice of techniques and combinations for the beginners and those who already have yellow or orange belt would need them for the grading. We only had time for 3 bunkai out of 5, so we'll finihs next time.

Only around 750 kcal burned for the 2,5 hours.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  5. Nachi

Tuesday 16.11.

Morning Taiji
    I can still feel the knees today, so I should be careful when training.
    Today we had a warm-up with a senior instructor, then split into beginners and advanced. The friend whom I "kindly" usually support to stand in the front when doing the form, was missing today, so it fell on me. The teacher was there, watching at times, so I was a bit nervous, Tuesday morning after several days of not practice, I tend to be quite stiff. I focused on the corrections I got last time, but although it wasn't a complete catastrophe, I'd say, it wasn't that great, either. But the teacher noted that I straightened up a bit. He then proceeded to tell us about how to work on this stuff like streightening our back or figuring out the corrections we got when practicing at home. I just hope he never asks how much of solo practice at home I'm doing. Please just don't ask....
    There was one lady who was somewhere around the 17th move, so we worked on the last three. I got several corrections. I was happy about this as these are the moves we're working on now with the group I am assisting with, so getting a bit of practice and corrections on them separately was great. The teacher also explained a bit of a different version of one of the moves - leaning into it, which is supposedly the original way of the move, but doesn't have much purpose for people when in higher stances, so it is not taught as a basic version in the beginning. As for the next form, I got another correction, or explanation of how to do it, which differed a bit from how I was originally taught. It was again only a change in timing and therefore dropping one breath, which would make the move smoother. It did feel nice!
    I am going for a Taiji seminar this weekend. I am already looking forward to it, but I'd better not overload my knees this week... (easier said than done, though). The teacher noted that I was going and asked me what my plans are for this weekend, whether I am going to try the sword. Well, I have no plans, plus it's only a weekend this time, so I said I didn'T know, I was going to polish my form as I have plenty to work on. The teacher dismissed it a bit with: "Ah, you'll always have things to work on." ... so I'll see how it will go. Either way I am looking forward to the seminar :)

On my way back home I also got to practice a bit of footwork. When crossing the street on the lights and on a zebra, listening to music, in the corner of my sight I notices a large van driving right into me... obviously overlooking me. Since it just started and was turning and overlooked me and already started braking, it didn't go too fast, but it absolutely did look like it would still bump into me or at least stop not more than a couple of cm in front of me. A few sideways steps in the solved the problem easily, though, before we were both on our way. I am a bit proud of myself that I didn't startle, as I typically startle all the time at every little thing :D I actually surprissed myself I didn't jump in fright XD

6. Nachi

Tuesday 16.11.

Taiji Kung-fu
    Meditation and silk reeling with fajins in each type of silk reeling. The first two types with only right arm, my "fajins" were awful, on the other hand (literally), though, they felt pretty good! I could feel tingling in the left hand. Then all the types with both arms were so-so, but they generally felt quite good. I need to figure this out!
    Teacher P wasn't present today, so we were all taught by teacher R only. He split us into groups - most of the people went to the group knowing the whole Lao Jia Yi Lu and the teenagers and one or two adults who only knew a few moves practiced those and silk reeling by the mirror. OUr group was told to practice kicks as the two senior did last time. The kicking sequence. The teacher always explained ho to do the kick properly or better and we practiced over and over. I got a few corrections.
    At one flying kick I stretched my leg too much and felt a sharp pain in my knee, so I had to stop for a little bit, luckily, it passes soon. The teacher saw me bent over, clasping my knee and worriedly asked what happened, reminding me: "Take it easy, today, you have to be ok for the weekend, I am already looking forward to it!" Haha, how nice :D

We then stretched a little and the first hour was over. A class of the Cannon Fist started and we all were told to join to do one LAo Jia Yi Lu. Except for one, the teenagers and not too advanced adults seemed to have left. The teacher told us to do both Lao Jia Yi Lu and Cannon Fist - together the 108 form. I stopped before the Cannon fist. Then the teacher said we'd all together practice the ending of Cannon Fist. So I practiced the kicking sequence and the corrections from this morning in the corner. Although I wasn't doing the moves too fast, only the kicks themselves, I was breathing hard after practicing for a while, sweat pouring down, I actually got max HR 180 bpm here. The teacher came reminding me not to overdo it. The seniors who knew the push-hands well were told to practice that, then, I found myself a spot and worked on the kicks till the end of the class. I felt pretty good today, strong and soft. I think I was able to straighten my back a little (thought he teacher still reminded me to straighten them more) and focused on mot moving my waist, and turning alonfg the body axis. I think it actually worked quite well! Better than I expected - it gave me a different feeling from the form overall. I think I was able to eliminate my stepping too far. My legs felt good and knees didn't actually hurt, so I had little trouble squatting down low enough to put the other leg as far as I needed. That was also nice!

Taiji - 63 moves or so
    The teacher wanted to talk to the two senior instructors and me about a Christmas gathering of instructors, so we talked about when and where, which resulted in me skipping the meditation and a little bit of silk reeling. It was led by the usual senior student, who then went somewhere (to drink?) when we were split into the two groups (beginners learning the first move and the rest). I was getting a little nervous as the senior, who usually acts as an instructor - practicing inthe front, dictating the pace, was off somewhere. Sure enough, since he wasn't there, I was sent to the front instead and stayed there till the end of the class.
    We went through the 63 moves. Then we worked on the two latest moves and practised a sequence of about 3-4 moves. At the beginning, the teacher still came to ask if I was still ok and could do it (pull through the class), which was really nice, he really wanted me to be fine for the weekend it seemed :D I was fairly ok, though. Although the training before was probably more exhausting than most, my knees were fine and if my knees were fine, that's all I needed. I had plenty of energy left today (despite getting only 4,5 hours of sleep unfortunately).
    The teacher pinpointed some common corrections and had us practice several things in these moves till the end of the class. I felt relly nice today, I had fun exercising and was super happy my knees lasted till the end! I could actually walk home pain free (if I avoided running etc.).

axelb likes this.
  7. Nachi

Wednesday 17.11.

National holiday today, but there were still Taiji classes. I, however, apologized in advance as it was Sett's birthday, too. We went to celebrate to his parent's house. His dad is always happy when he has someone to drink wine with, so, despite me planning to hold back, we drank four bottles in three people. Again.

Thursday 18.11.

Morning Taiji
    I was originally planning to skip due to time, as sensei is away and we'll have to teach the children karate class today, but for the Taiji weekend seminar I'll be going by train and instructor L offered to take my byg by car at least, if I could bring it to the Taiji school, so I did.
    I wasn't feeling 100% ok after yesterday's drinking, but made sure to at least eat a small breakfast and was ok to go.
    After silk reeling we went through the whole formand then practiced the ending of it as there was no one from the group who didn't know it. I struggled with my least favourite turn in the whole form that the teacher wanted us to do slowly, while keeping a proper balance, etc. I just hate this place. Can't do it! :D
    I was thirsty (wine), but there wasn't realyl a break where I could grab my tea. Luckily the class was only an hour long.

The most infuriating thing was that when I returned home, Sett was still sleeping! (He had a day off work.)

Jaydub likes this.
  8. Nachi

Thursday 18.11.

Sensei is on a business trip abroad, so today's classes were taught by Sett and I.

Karate Kids
    Game of tag, Junbi Undo and a circuit training. I held pads and instructed the kids, otherwise I did nothing.

Karate Adults
    The covi is spreading fast yet again. This week we had an all time record in the number of newly infected people per day. We aren't in a lockdown now, but the government is doing all they can to make people get the vaccine, except for actually making in mandatory. A couple of the younger kids going to the adult class are in quarantine. In regards to that, we did Hojo Undo today, which the two are too young to do properly. We did Sanchin, Hojo Undo and a short Kote Kitae - iron body conditioning. It was a class of mostly beginners, so I was happy I could also partner up with Sett every fourth round and do some proper striking :)
    As for Hojo Unod, if I saw someone struggling with the teachnique of something I came to help, so I did perhaps only a couple of rounds uninterupted (the kongoken and 2 mins of lunges with a boxing bag - the lightest one on the shoulders). I also went to show someone how to hit our wall makiwara properly. To demonstrate, I hit it maybe twice and the little vain near my knuckle that burst last time I was doing makiwara burst again :rolleyes: Resulting in a small blush bump near the knuckle only slowly dissappearing, so I wasn't able to punch the makiwara with my right hand since then.
    The plan for the rest of the class was to go through the remaining two bunkai of Gekisai Dai Ichi, which we did.

Travess likes this.
  9. Nachi

Friday 19-11. Taiji seminar

I took a train there and walked nearly 7 km from the station. I started the walk at 15:45, so I hurried a bit to make it there before nightfall as I forgot a flashlight and the last 1,5 km was through a forest. It was indeed dark already when I made it there and because the terrain was a bit rough- uneven, tall grass or puddles and mud, thorns etc., I at least used my phone's flashlight. I arrived a few mins past 5 pm. Except for instructor L, who arrived for lunch, I was the first here. Instructor L and I then went to practice the spear I needed to review...

At 8 pm, after dinner we had the first training in a small "gym" with a stove. The teacher said we'd start with silk reeling, so we should spread as much as we can. I was just behind somebody and wanted to stay hidden there till I make it to a corner, but it was no use: „Nachi, come to the front!" Then I was moved a bit to the side as the teacher was actually going to lead the training himself. Why make me go to the front, too, then?
    We did the first two types when another attendee arrived, so I was told to continue in the teacher's stead as he went to show them the way. I was told to change the type of silk reeling after every tenth circle. A couple of changes later the teacher came back and joined again. Suddenly I was in a dilemma. What to do? Am I supposed to count and say when to change? Or would it be rude since the teacher was back? I did announce the next change after perhaps 11-12 reps - giving the teacher a chance to step in. Since I did it once, I did it the second time and eventually till the end. The teacher seemed to be enjoying the silk reeling without the need for him to count, so I took it as that. Instructor L, who was the most senior here besides the teacher wasn't even called to the front, so I guess stuff like this was simply a task for a junior instructor. We then practiced the beginning of the form for a bit and then the teacher spoke about taiji and about this seminar's organization. He decided how to form the groups based on experience for tommorow's practice.

Instructor L and I were the only ones knowing the whole form and we were given a bit of a choice or told to come up with questions or stuff we needed to practice ourselves. The teacher also told me I should learn another bit from the spear form, right? I said I didn't need to (as in: I can practice and improve what I already know), I can wait with the new moves for when a friend is here with whom I've always been learning this. I shouldn't have said anything, though, as what followed was: „Wait? What do you mean, wait? You can't wait! It's the opposite, you should take the opportunity and learn ahead! Didn't you want to start learning the sword and the Cannon Fist in January?" (Oh, did I? Wasn't I supposed to wait with the Cannon Fist as per this very teacher's instructions?)..... „You can't learn everything at once. You'd better finish the spear soon!" I didn't dare say any more :D

We finished at 9 pm. A friend heard about a sword and talked about how she'd like to learn. When instructor L heard this, she took a practice sword off the wall and showed her a basic type of movement. I was watching them, when I was encouraged to try, too. What a nice weapon the sword is! We were trying the basic move. The instructor kept helping the other friend, who had some trouble. I found that part easy, so I was practicing by myself as I couldn't connect the movement of the sword with my body and hips very well. We stopped when we saw it was suddenly already 10pm.

Jaydub and axelb like this.
  10. Nachi

Saturday 19.11. Taiji seminar

I got up at around 7:15 and started my practice outside at 7:30. I went through the form 3x. I wasn't sure if I won't be called to lead the general warm-up at 8, but the teacher took it upon himself.
    When we started the morning training after breakfast, I was told to basically practice what I see fit and come up with ay questions I may have. I did have an idea to practice and try to figure out several of the corrections I've gotten lately. The teacher also wanted me to practice the form as a whole a few more times throughout the day and I did. During that time, I was also called to come join the least advanced group who was just working on White Crane Spreads its Wings as the teacher saw before that I was doing it wrong and corrected me. I practiced with them. When he went to the bit more advanced group at the 17th move, he had an interesting lecture, so I followed and joined that group for a bit as well.

Again, when practicing I was getting hot, taking off one layer after another. It was around 7°C outside, no sun to be seen, but for some reason even it practising slowly, I just get warm and start to sweat. I didn't want to get sweaty and cold as a result, so I ended up taking off my clothes till I was in a thin t-shirt and summer Taiji pants (most often I tend to be rather cold, but...). I half prepared myself for the teacher's lecture when he called me over and an argument about how much I should wear (something I had to go through a few times already), but apparently he already gave up and didn't even bat an eye. :) Still he couldn't resist at least a remark much later in the day.

I was caught off guard when one friend came to me with a couple of questions about details in some moves. Ah, why ask me? I found it not too easy to figure out the problem he was asking about. I mean, I have enough work figuring out or noticing what I do wrong and figure it for someone else and explain how to correct it isn't always easy! I did my best, but still kind of looked sideways with a plea for instructor L to come save me. As expected, although she confirmed what I told the guy was true, she was able to approach the problem more generally and give several useful adviced. Phew....

After 2 hours of training came the time to practice weapons (for those interested). There were two ladies who planned to learn the basics of the sword and the friend whom I practiced the sword a little yesterday asked if she could join as well. The teacher didn't mind and told us to go to the gym and grab whatever weapon we wanted and we can try. Before we even turned, as if remembering something, he abruptly continued, though: "Except for Nachi! Nachi must practice the spear!" I wasn't even saying anything....

The teacher went to teach the group with the sword, instructor L was explaining the staff/spear to those who held it for the first time or didn't know much, while a group of four people came to the place I planned to practice and asked if I could help them with the bit of the form they learned as they had many places they were uncertain of. I don't have that much experience, either! I didn't mind helping them, but I told them to take my advices with a grain of salt as I may be unaware of some details etc. They didn't mind at all and we went trough the first part f the spear form step by step as per their wishes, with me answering the questions to the best of my ability. After maybe 45 mins, instructor L and the teacher both came and took over. Thank goodness! It wasn't long before the bell signalling time for lunch rang.

In the afternoon, the practice started at 3 pm. I went a bit earlier to actually practice the spear form till where I knew it as I didn't get a chance today, yet. When the official training started, I was still by myself so I moved to another place and practiced both Lao Jia Yi Lu and the spear. Instructor L came join me later and we worked on the spear together. I do not know the whole form yet, but a majority of it. So I told L if she wanted to practice it whole, she can always finish it by herself, I'd wait, but she said no need. The teacher came to check on us a corrected a few things throughout the form, mostly for me. It was just getting dark so we then moved inside, into the small gym, where the teacher had a lecture about silk reeling and Taiji in general.

After dinner the teacher had a lecture about a Taiji master. He streamed it online as he does every weekend, just that we had it live as we were there. We talked even after the streaming ended, the teacher talking about his visits to China and about his master and we had fun. Only then we realised it was already 23:15 and we called it a day.

11. Nachi

Sunday 20.11. Taiji seminar

Got up at a time as just about everyone else, so I had to wait for a free bathroom and only stared my practice at 7:45. I still did three forms, though.
    After breakfast I joined a group learning the Stepping Back and Wrapping Upper Arms, as it is a difficult move and I wanted to practice it a bit, so I did, along with the few moves just before. The teacher spent some time explaining, then moved on to the next group and... the people started asking me questions about this move for a change. Ah, I am really not used to this. Actually looking for an answer for one question I realised I am also doing a detail wrong in there. Or maybe only like half of the time.

After about an hour already we took the weapons, so I brought the spear to a larger space to practice, this time joined only by instructor L. We practiced together and she kept reminding me about my posture - straightening my back. In the spear form I find this even harder than in Lao Jia Yi Lu... I also asked her to help me figure out thepacing since she mentioned my speed was uniform across the whole form. When we went through the form several times and I safely remembered all of it, L showed me a few new moves. I tried while copying her a few times, when the teacher arrived with: "So does Nachi already know the whole form?" ....no I didn't. The teacher asked us to show him the ending of what I knew and in the part I just learned he saw some htings he would do differently and corrected them for us. It was just when the bell announcing lunch time sounded.

Today was the last day of this only weekend seminar, so we only had about 90 mins in the afternoon which are always spent by the teacher giving us "homework" of sorts. Everyone demonstrates the bir they were working on or just learned and the teacher would give them corrections, usually more general ones and tips for home practice or what to learn next or maybe stop learning new stuff for a while etc. I was called up first, being given the choice of what to show and an opportunity to ask for some clarifications as I didn't get many attention for the Lao Jia Yi Lu this weekend. I asked about the move that gives me the most trouble - Crossed Feet. Especially the turn at the end of it. I was asked to start a few moves prior and got one correction there already. When going for crossed feet, the teacher would give me a correction for the first turn, which he thought I was asking about. Well, I meant the next to which I didn't even get, yet, but I decided to maybe ask in class later, my knees were a bit stiff as I wasn't warmed up and I wouldn't be able to do it well at all now.
    I sat back down and the teacher still gae me several more advises in general and the homework. I was told to practice the form every day if possible, but not too many times, only like 1-3x (no way I'd find time for more anyway) and learn to slow the form down to take full 20 mins to finish. The teacher's point isn't to always do it slowly, but to be flexible and it is much easier for me to go through it fast than slow. Although I did do it slow enough to take 20 mins before. However, I was told to learn to do it slow like that while breathing only through the nose and breathing in the correct rhytm for the moves. Oh, that would be tougher! I tend to forget the breathing as it should be as hte form progresses. I can probably do it breathing only through the nose, but keeping the right pace will be tougher.

12. Nachi

Monday 21.11.

Karate kids

Running and coordination stuff for a warm-up, which took longer than expected, so we skipped Junbi Undo and went straight to Kihon and Kihon Ido practice led by Sett.

Karate adults
    Our plan for this class was to warm-up with two Sanchin katas, Junbi Undo, then half an hour I would have a kicking sesssion - practicing and teaching a few kicks and the last half an hour Sett wanted to do Kihon Ido, but with less talking and explaining and more drilling and cardio and body weight exercises in between. It all went according to plan, I took the Junbi Undo and focused on leg stretching before the kicking. Then we went through several kicks: mikazuki, mae, mawashi, yoko, kakato otoshi and mae tobi geri. Soem explaining, then slowly, then faster and then as high as they could. It went nicely. Then Sett took over and started as he planned - simply techniques with steps and not much explaining (he loves the theory nad explaining, while I usually tend to keep the pace). He still couldn't do it, though, haha! :D He announced the upcoming grading and started talking about how the grading goes or what is good to do to be able to last through it and got tangled in it with people asking qustions more nad more and him explaining more, that 15-20 mins of his 30 mins he spent only explaining how the grading goes, hahaha XD

A not very pleasant thing happened and in the weekend we got a message our sensei, who went on a business trip to Portugal contracted Covid again and is currently in quarantine in a Portugese hospital... (he is vaccinated). I just hope he doesn't have any serious symptoms. Anyway, he's stuck abroad, so until he returns and feels good, the trainings are apparently on us. We also have a sempai who helps with the kids classes, but she just let us know today her whole family is home down with Covid as well. Oh man. Now Sett and I better stay clear of covid as there would be no one left to teach the classes and people wouldn't have a chance to prepare for the upcoming grading.
    Covid is becoming real problem here again. Last week we had an all-time record in teh daily rise of newly infected. Starting today we have a lockdown for those not vaccinated and the government is going to do all they can to make their life unbearable. No one without vaccine or who went throguh covid in the last three months can go to sport clubs at the moment and probably won't be able to until spring. It's going to be a tough winter again, it seems :(
    Our sensei planned a Saifa kata seminar this Sunday, but considering his accident in Portugal, another dojo took it upon themselves to organize it in their city, booking a gym just today.

13. Nachi

Tuesday 22.11.

Morning Taiji - solo spear practice (15 mins)
    I asked the teacher in the weekend when the school opens, and if I could come earlier to practice the staff/spear form - I don't have enough space at home. He said it was fine. He has private classes there, but if the main gym is occupied, I can go to the terrace outside.
    I managed to get up earlier and saw the doors to the gym closed, so I just went in to borrow a staff, hopefulyl not disturbing hte private class. I went in in a shirt and the first thing the teacher would say: If you're going outside, do put on some clothes. Lol, of course I would. :)
    I borrowed a staff as there were only a couple of spears and not of a good lenght for me and I found the transition hard! I already got used to the spear and one a bit heavier at that and suddenly the thin staff without the metal tip was light and not that easy to swirl or thrust with at all. It felt like a toothpick....
    I went through the whole form a couple of times, the first one fighting with the staff that didn't keep momentum nearly as much as I'd like and also stopping at places when unsure how the form continued, proabably because I was distracted by the staff's uncooperation.

Morning Taiji
    Silk reeling led by the usual isntructor, who then took the beginner group. The rest of us were approached by the teachera dn as usual, we did the whole form once, me beign sent to the front. I tend to just stand where I am, but I guess I might as well start coming up front as the teacher makes me most of the time anyway, I guess. It's jsut that I don't always recognize when he's going to demonstrate himself or ask someone else.
    After the form I got a correction. It was a general thing to be mindful of throughout the form the teacher said was relatively advanced. I didn't even think about it before, but it could help improve the form quite a bit now that I think about it. He actually said out group's form looked quite well, he really liked it. He's not one to praise often like that. Did we look discouraged, perhaps?
    Two ladies were learning the Flashing Turn to Back move and we joined them. The teacher explained the first half of it and put me in chare to go through it ten times and he left. The a few people had some questions, luckily ones easy to answer. So I explained again, and while practising reminding which side to turn to and where to put weight very slowly. One of the ladies asked to go as slow as this for the rest of the 5 reps, so we did.
    When the teacher came back, he explained the second half - the turn. Also a tricky one I'd say. He explained how to do it slowly, move by move. I can hardly imagine any more detail he could go into, but it was nice. He explained the fine nuances that should be there, but not many people actually do. I'll have to work on that! We practiced this till the end of class, which wasn't long away.

500 kcal burned.

Jaydub likes this.
  14. Nachi

Tuesday 22.11.

Taiji Kung-fu
    Not too many people present today. We started as usual with meditation and silk reeling with fajins. I think my fajins may have improved by a tiny bit.
    Then we made groups - teenagers and adults. There were only 5 of us today, one guy knew only a few moves and practiced by himself, the rest of us were told to work on the part where we finished last time. Starting with Small Capturing and hitting. We did a few moves starting with this one, but ended up stuck at the first. The teacher wanted us to do it more flowingly, not step by step as beginners are taught (two guys were senior instructors, then another guy and me). The teacher's explanation of the tiny movement he was showing was tough to grasp, so we kept trying, but couldn't do it well and so we started askng questions to understand better. The teacher sighed that he didn't want to go to such a detail and then kind of changed it that if we go from the fajin just before the forms, the movement would basically only be a relaxing a muscle and no need to figure it out by milimeters. We got that a bit better and actually practiced this one move over and over again till the end of the first hour.

For the second hour came a group for Cannon Fist class. The teacher sent the three of us instructors to the front to go through the whole 108 form. Heh, I let the guys go first and stayed behind them as I was obviously the only one present now who only knew the 72 forms. We started a Wuji meditation first. I was already nicely warmed up and stretched and I was able to find a point of balance, balancing my body as a pillar on my legs and it all felt better than ever! Actually feeling that any tiny movement of my legs would translate into the movement of the body which I managed to relax. Maybe it was because I didn't hold my back straight with so much force as it was already stretched and relaxed. No matter the reason, it felt nice and I wanted to translate this feeling into the form, which I tried and although it wasn't 100%, I did feel imrpovement and felt generally soft, relaxed, yet my legs strong, kepping my stances low and trying to keep my body upright.
    I stopped at the 72 move as the rest continued. The teacher came into the room only towards the end and instead of appreciating my efforts when coming to give some feedback, he told me I need to keep my back straight and my weight back etc. Exactly the thing I thought I just imroved! :eek::(
    I jsut started to practice the kicking sequence and the teacher talked to me about how I need to emhasise my back and not do stances or steps too long that would force me to bend my back. His standards seem to be pretty high, though, I honestly did my best and when in a stance and checking in a mirror, I'd swear my back was as straight as a ruler!
    The teacher went with me through the kicking move very slowly to show me and remind me how to keep the back straight and upright at any given moment. As for the kick, it was not for the first time that he mentioned his long time student, a girl a year younger than me and some 11 times European champion in Taiji and World vice champion etc. Her Taiji is stunning, she is an athlete I'd say. The teacher told me (again) that she can do the kick in a slow motion - meaning she can very slowly stand up one one leg from a squat while lifting her other leg up till it reaches higher than her head and keeping it there without any support. The teacher told me she can do that because she can lift the knee high first, so I should practice with the knee only for now. Does he want me to learn the slowmo kick? There's no way I'd ever be able to do that. If that is his idea, he's pretty clever about it, though, not actually saying it, just giving and examplea nd letting me practice. Too bad I am going to dissapoint him. The other student of his weights like 45 kg or something. Not saying what she can do isn't an accomplishment, it absolutely is and I am awed, but I think I am simply too fat for this if nothing else, honestly.
    For the rest of the class I practiced a few of the harder sequences by myself. My knees did hurt, but not too much and so I pushed myself, trying to force myself into the low stance in Dragon on the Ground. I am aiming for squatting on that one leg and keeping my balance (again, if I was slimmer, this would be easier). I got lower than before, when I felt my knee, but on the second attempt it got better. I was really tired by this point. My muscles - legs and back - not exactly hurting, but got really weak.

Taiji - 63 moves or so
    Went to a bathroom to drink and I met instructor L who practiced with the other group across the gym. And she commented that she almost didn't recognize me as she saw I had my back unusually straight! Oh, thank you, L! It's so great to have my effort appreciated! ^^
    When I came to class, I joined the silk reeling. We then split into beginners and the group learning at around 63rd move. We we to go trhough the form. The usual guy was in the front so I just got a free space just behind a lady, who returned to taiji after a while and was just working of remembering the form again. She asked me if I could go in front of her so she could copy. Ah, no slacking in the back for me today, either...
    We again practiced the form by sequences, with focus on keeping our back straight and upright etc. Well, sure. Just that my back was already tired and I really couldn't probably do too well anymore, but I did try my best. The teacher mercilessly put me to the front in the direction we'd often be turning to, so I did double my best to keep my back straight, proper stances, etc. I managed to endure the whole class, but even standing felt difficult. I was honestly completely exhausted.

Here's why (these Tuesday classes are pretty tough):

Time: 3:14
    Max HR: 174
    Average HR: 132
    Training benefit: Steady State training +
    Kcal: 1495
    Fat burn: 31%
    Cardio load: Very high: 267

Over 3700 kcal burned today

Jaydub likes this.
  15. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

That sounds very interesting.

What makes a class "Taiji Kung Fu" as opposed to regular Taiji?

16. Nachi

It's what it's called. It is for people more interested to go in depth and learn martial applications and push hands. We have done quite a bit of that earlier, but not so much lately. Not sure if Covid plays a part, but we are expected to keep a distance, so now it is more that everyone gets a task and/or practices by themselves or what they need with the teachers helping.

Jaydub likes this.
  17. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

That's cool. Does it still fall within the realm of "internal" training, or is it considered "external" at that point?

I must admit that I am quite ignorant to the concept of Internal vs External. Despite the reading I've done on the subject, I'm still not able to fully understand and grasp the concept.

18. Nachi

Honestly, I have my own idea about what it is, but I am not sure if it's the same as the definition. :) I am not too bothered by it....
    Well, at this class we usually work more on the physical aspect, but if someone came who would want to meditate and/or exercise slowly with focus on breath, I'm sure they'd be welcome to.

Jaydub likes this.
  19. Nachi

Wednesday 24.11.

Taiji - 18 moves - assisting
    I was tasked with leading the meditation, silk reeling and go through the 18 moves this group knew. The teacher then arrived and explained details adn practiced with us the last two moves. The focus today was on good and upright posture. I was trying but I was stiffer and weaker than yesterday, so it didn't go as well bas I'd like.
    We then went throguht the whole 18 moves twice.
    I didn't have a very high heart rate today, burned less than 300 kcal. It was a fairly relaxed class.

20. Nachi

Thursday 25.11.

Morning Taiji
    Despite cutting my sleep shorter by a little to only 6 hours, I came early to practice spear for a bit. Surprisingly at 7:35 there were already 3 other students and more were coming not long after. The large gym was free, so I didn't really want to go practice outside and I overcame my shyness and practiced my staff form in front of those few people. I didn't get up early just to spend the 20 mins chatting, right? I was still chatting while practicing, though, so I messed up froquently. At least the first time. I did the form twice, the second one being a bit better. I went slowly, just trying to memorize it without a hitch and straighten my back, which didn't go too well, I think.

When the class started, we did wuji meditation, silk reeling. My legs still feel tired, right knee hurts a little more than usual, but not too badly. We then went throught the whole form once. My legs feel tired and the rest of my body a bit, too, so keeping my back upright was a struggle. I was determined to focus on proper breathing today, but I can always only manage that for the first few moves, today being no exception. Then we reviewed the Flashing Turn to Back again, this time with the second teacher.
    Around 500 kcal burned.