Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Tuesday 7.1.

Karate Kids
    The roublemakers weren't present, but a new girl came to try out a class, so it was relatively peaceful. Except for the fact that I kicked one of the boys in the groin :confused: Very slightly, though, that I thought I missed, but the boy looked to be in a lot of pain. I felt terrible. It was during a game. His mum took care of him and he refused to participater in the rest of the class that was mostly about kicks - hiza, mae, mawashi, and only arrived for a game at the end, which he even won and looked just fine by then. I promised to do a 100 push-ups at home as a punishment...

Karate adults
    Sensei M, who only teaches at the faculty and some kids, but doesn't train so much himself for a while now decided he'd like to grade for a san dan in March on a big gasshuku we'll be holding. Our head sensei told him if he wants, he has to come to regular trainings to practise properly. It's been a while since I've seen him in the dojo! It's always fun training with him. And since he's been in the dojo already when I arrived for the kids, I felt completely safe from having to teach in case sensei hadn't arrived. In the end, he did, but like 45 mins late :D So sensei M had to take over to teach. We did ssome slapping sparring games, a bit of push-ups and punches and kicks to the heavy bags. Unfortunately, during the slapping game, I must have had my hand hit in a way that a vein on the wrist just below the palm must have burst open (is that the word? It sounds worse that it was) :D Basically a bluish buise formed on my wrist I didn't know about until I wanted to do push-ups and had an uncomfortable, even a bit painful feeling there. It was a tiny injury, but any hitting or putting any force in my fingers or bending the wrist outward felt really uncomfortable, so I avoided things that would feel that way. Unfortunately being as sensitive as I am to my blood flowing apparently even if it isn't visible, I started feeling dizzy due to that feeling that something was off. And I was kind of embarrassed getting dizzy from that....
    When sensei arrived, we continued for a bit with the bags. I thought I looked normal and did the best I could, except that I didn't make any contact to the bag with the hurt hand, but sensei asked if I was alright, so apparently I wasn't a very good actress. I told him so so and was sent to sit it out. I tried to say I can go on, but the truth was that I also wasn't sure how long I could keep it up. I did a few crunches which felt fine, but seeing as the class moved onto practising ippon kumite with contact and blocks to the wrist, I just grabbed my stuff and left the class for good. Took a shower and waited in the social room. As I feared, all the katas were practised at the end, which I really wanted to do, but oh well, I guess this won't be the last chance. The wrist was a little uncomfortable in the evening still, but the next day I wouldn't know anything happened if there still wasn't the bruise...

Such a start of a new year... :confused::(

Polar results:
    Time: 2:12
    Max HR: 182 (during a kick session at the end of the kids class)
    Average HR: 122
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training, long
    Kcal: 861
    Fat burn: 35 %

axelb likes this.
  2. Nachi

Thursday 9.1.

Karate
    When I arrived, I saw sensei and the boy I kicked to the groin on Tuesday in the bathroom together with the boy's mother. Apparently, the boy was injured. I later learned that a much heavier one accidently jumped onto his forearm near the wrist. The boy seemed to be somewhat in shock and in a lot of pain so everyone worried he might have broken the arm. Sensei took him and his mom to the hospital. So the training was again left on us. Sett came up with hojo undo. Which was great for a work out we all need after Christmas and would be easy teaching-wise. We spent around an hour with it and then practised the rest of the kihon ippon kumite combinations that weren't done on Tuesday. At the end, one kata for everyone. By that time, sensei returned, but didn't interfere with the training anymore. He said the boy's arm wasn't broken, only bruised, so that was some good news.
    A bad news for myself, there is going to be a black belt and dojo instructor training on Sunday in another city. However, I have already made birding plans for the weekend and won't make it, 95%. Which makes me kind of sad. Such trainings are rare and I made myplans when it seemed there wouldn't be any training this weekend, but since everything is decided on such a short notice, it is hard to accomodate :(

No Polar results, had trouble starting the training on my chest strap.

Travess and axelb like this.
  3. Nachi

Friday 10.11.

Tai chi
    - we learned one more movement in the form that would allow us to practise the four forms (except for the first) to four sides without stopping. We should be practising this for some time now before learning something new. Or so the instructor said.

I spent the weekend in Moravia, watching birds. Missed the black belt training, and I heard several senseis from the organizing dojo were missing too. They spent 3 hours practising and correcting all the kata and bunkai everyone has for their next grading. Sett was kind enough to show and tell me all the new info he learned, so I was able to note everything important down at least, which is great. Then I can practise all that by myself.

Travess and axelb like this.
  4. Nachi

Tuesday 14.1.2020

Karate Kids:
    One new boy, but the biggest troublemakers missing. The third biggest troublemaker took offense when I told both him and his sister to do 10 burpees as a punishment for her kicking him and him jumping back on her to get revenge. He thought this was unfair as she started and that I am abusing kids and refused to do the burpees. I was determined to not back up even an inch, that wouldn't work. So I told him to either do the burpees or leave the dojo and tried to nicely explain my reasons for giving him that punishment. He left the dojo, but then came back, trying to sneakily participate in the Junbi Undo. I repeated what I said several times and he tried doing 10 push-ups instead. I told him burpees or out. He stayed, so I told him, alright, now it's 15 burpees or out. And gave him an opportunity to do them by asking one boy eager to do the burpees in his stead to do them with him. He still didn't budge until another boy offered to do them with him. Then he did, but told me he still things is unfair. Some time later he came to appologize, but told him he still things he learns karate in order to defend himself when someone kicks him. While that is true, I tried to explain that this is not to be done in the dojo and against his sister. He should have told me instead. I explained I am not siding with his sis as he thought, that is why she got the 10 burpees too. Well, I think he wasn't happy in the end anyway, but I simply want to stand by my word and try to reason with the kids in a calm voice and explain why they got the punishment. For once I think it more or less worked.

Karate adults:
    Sensei arrived a bit late, so in the meanwhile we warmed-ups with a game of tag. Sensei led the junbi undo. Then we practised bunkai - pick whatever bunkai that defends against head punch, then chest punch, then belly punch, then two chest punches and finally, a front kick. We practised with different partners and after each round we played rock paper scissors and the winner decided on the bodyweight exercise we do. After first round it was 5x, the second 10x.... etc. until 50. We also practised the bunkai from San Dan Gi Ichi. After that was the last round and I was with a beginner guy. I tried to avoid sensei for the final rounds as it seemed he likes his push-ups and I am really bad with them after Christmas. However, sensei remained without a partner and for the bodyweight stuff joined in with some of the higher grades to participate in the rock paper scissors. Somehow, I was always in the pair he chose. Luckily, he had enough push-ups by this time, too. And I won once, too, so I said lunges, one friend had us do mountain climbers. The last round was when sensei chose another pair with both high grades and I was with the beginner guy. Sensei said that for the last round we won't be stingy and do the exercise 100x. My partner won and wanted to do burpees, which I immediately forbade him. I couldn't really do that again when he then decided on push-ups :rolleyes: Aaaah, I hated him! I'll get my revenge on him as soon as I tech some class! :D
    The next exercise was practise your kata once, then we made a circle and each round one person went in and the others attacked with the attacks we did at the beginning and the defender used his chosen bunkai. We started form the lower grades. One round slowly, one round fast with kiai. When we got to brown belts, sensei said three rounds - one light, 2 hard, the 1st kyu guy who's planning a black belt grading soon got 4 rounds, by which time it was obvious we'll get 5. I was getting a bit dizzy for some time now, but tried to fight with it and I think I did quite a good job. Determined to survive my five rounds, I did my best. When I was getting to the last round, when sensei just shouted "kill her!", my first attacker was the very same beginner guy. I earlier realized, when paired with him, he tends to do not straight punches, but rather, hookes, which are difficult to block with the blocks we were practising. But that was mostly to the chest area. However, one brown belt before me didn't block his head punch when he was going easy, telling him he aimed to a strange spot. I didn't suspect anything though and don't honestly know what really happened, but despite me blocking as usual, the guy went full power as he should and somehow avoided my block completely to punch me straight in the teeth. In the very same front teeth I got an elbow from sensei a few years ago and it still hurts upon touch! Gosh! Why do people hate my teeth! I just held my mouth with my hands and sensie sent me away right then, which was just what I was going to do. It wasn't a light punch at all and of course, no gloves or stuff. Luckily, compared to sensei this guy hit me better - in the upper part of the tooth, and although it definitely hurt, it was a dull pain and relatively manageable. I had my gum numb, but only a bit of blood appeared. The pain got better quite quickly, that I went back to the dojo to participate in the final etiquette that came right after Sett and who knows if also sensei made their rounds. Unfortunately, I had to lead the etiquette and I may have pronounced some stuff a little funny. All's back to normal by the next day, though. I'll have to improve my blocks...

No Polar results, my chest strap fell out of my bag at home. I believe I should have burned a good number of kcal today :)

axelb and Travess like this.
  5. Nachi

Thursday 16.1.

Karate:

Wow, today was a day! I first waited till my washing machine stops washing, to leave for the dojo, worried that I may come maybe 5-10 mins late. Since November I have a new Kindle and insted of driving a car to the dojo, I use public transport and spend the while reading, which makes the hour long journey to dojo pass quickly. I was travelling in that fashion, but after 20 minutes in a bus, I realised it is not the bus I should be on. I am not sure if it was because my vision wass rather bad today, maybe I had tired eyes, but even with my glasses I had trouble focusing on the letters. I probably just didn't pay attention, but had some trouble reading the list of the stops. I was waiting if it would take me to a subway station where the correct busses from the dojo go, but it only took me to another. So after finding an opened entrance to the subway, I went one station and was waiting for the usual bus 150 that would take me to the dojo. I saw it approaching from afar, checked if it was indeed 150 and hopped on. Reading my Kindle. After 7 minutes or so, I heard the announcement of the next stop, horrified, that it is a stop in a direction I definitely shouldn't be going. I looked up, and believe it or not, the bus I was on was not 150, but 196. I really have no idea how it happened. I saw a bit blurred, but I looked at the number from quite close and these numbers shoul look quite different, no? I returned back to the last correct stop on foot and only saw two 150s pass by before I could catch them. I arrived in the dojo 30 mins late and before I changed, a third of the class was over...

As soon as I arrived, though, I noticed sensei wasn't there, yet, either. So Sett was teaching, doing some pad combinations in pairs, useing the traditional footwork and he had it well thought up considering he didn't know much in advance sensei was coming late. It was a nice lesson, although there was quite a lot of talking and explaining, so I didn't get my HR too high. Sensei arrived for the last 30 minutes and also kept using the pads - six people were holding them, six people were goin around in circle hitting each. We did 5 or 6 rounds of different combinations before the end of the class.
    A great surprise was that a boy that arrived during Christmas holiday on one of our two open classes showed up! He's rather good form what I saw so far and it would be great if he became a new student :)

Polar results:
    Time: 1:22
    Max HR: 169
    Average HR: 106
    Training benefit: Regeerative training (the lowest HR category, wow, I really didn't break much sweat today!)
    Kcal: 387
    Fat burn: 44%

A couple of days ago, there was a very surprising news from the IOGKF Chief Instructor, sensei Nakamura. On FB he announced that the next World Gishiki - the week long seminar in Okinawa I'd attended twice so far, isn't going to take place 4 years from now (as always), but only two! Meaning it is coming in July 2021! Wow, that's great news, but it's maybe a little sooner than we'd like. It would be a pity not to go, but the trip last time was very expensive. We may go on a bit of a budget trip this time, if we do :oops:

When I thought about it, I told Sett that it is going to be exactly 2 years from out black belt grading, therefore exactly at the time we could theoretically grade for Nidan. I think it is a courageous thought and we decided to play it safe and not to even utter a word in front of sensei. It was only a few hours later that we went for a dinner with sensei as we haven't in quite some time and as soon as he mentioned Okinawa, he added: So you two could grade for Nidan, right? What do you say?

:confused:

6. Nachi

Friday 17.1.

Tai Chi

Today we kept practising the first five forms. I tried to do lower stances, suddenly I could do them a bit lower and it felt good. I also definitely broke a sweat.
    Today I tried measuring the training with my Polar watch:

Time: 1:31
    Max HR: 146
    Average HR: 116
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 527
    Fat burn: 44%

Morik, axelb and Travess like this.
  7. Nachi

Sunday 19.1.

Karate:
    Sensei was talking about a possible training in the weekend and he then announced one. Not much in advance, but this time I had time for it! It was an advanced training from brown belt up, which was awesome. It was made at a request from sensei M. who is planning to grade for sandan and also for a friend training for shodan. Me and Sett joined in. Although sensei M. didn't arrive in the end.
    When I arrived in the dojo, sensei was already there (unusual!) and practicing. I changed and then stretched while watching him practise katas. I then found myself a spot and practised mine - Shisochin, Sanseru and just when I bowed and planned to try Seipai, I saw sensei start Seipai, too. So I copied ^^ Sensei saw and I am not sure if it was the reason he did it at quite a slow pace. I thought he'd continue with others, but he started Sepai once again, so I quickly followed. And then once more, with sensei explaining the finishing part that I screwed up. I asked him about one more techique I had trouble with and then told sensei, when he was doing Sepai again that I will join in, but he needn't worry about me and slow down so I can follow. I could see he had a good time to practise his kata, so I didn't want to make him stop in order to pay all attention to me. In the meantime the remaining two guys arrived and we started training by Shisochin kata. Sensei was planning to do kakie and bunkai for the kata the two gradees will need - Sepai and Sanseru. And we would join in Sepai kata. Sensei M. didn't show up, though, so we spent the class working on Shisochin. Neither of us was unhappy about it as we felt we didn't practise Shisochin for our last grading as much as we did the other katas before it and a bit of a practise of the kata and also the bunkai is something we were looking forward to.
    There were four of us includin sensei, so we were switching partners all the time, practising Shisochin bunkai from kakie. Then we worked some more on Shisochin kata. Sensei asked us to take down our shirts for Sanchin practise. After one Sanchin we did a bit of iron body conditioning. Also changing partners. The two guys were nice and ok, in a way that I was pushing for going harder, but I was a bit scared of sensei as usual. And he gave me a good beating as usual. I always do my best to keep up, return the hands where they should be and return the strike as much as my numbing muscles allow me to and force myself to do a proper kime so that I do not avoid sensei's strike, but it is definitely tough, with sensei pushing me to my limits. I'd rather die than beg him to stop or ease down, though :D Well, not literally of course, but I don't try to look as tough as I can :D And was looking forward to partnering up with the other guys. Later though, to my huge surprise, Sett told me I was being harder on him than sensei was. Like... seriously?! He had a theory that I am invoking such a beating on myself by myself by startin out tough on sensei. I never felt like I am doing that, though! If I don't go hard enough with sensei, my arms just begin to fly around without me being able to pull them back to strike again in time and then it generally only gets worse. But if sensie goes on the guys easier than on me....:mad: -_- I will have to figure this out!
    At the end we did one more Sanchin.
    I have to say I was really happy about today's training. We got a great opportunity to practise some of the advanced stuff and with advanced students and sensei, which is always a pleasure and I really enjoyed myself. It looks the others did, too, and I heard sensei even said he'd like to do more trainings like this. That would be awesome!

Polar results:
    Forgot to start on time and only did so half and hour into the training.
    Time: 1:02
    Max HR: 172
    Average HR: 137
    Training benefit: Steady State training
    Kcal: 501
    Fat burn: 29%

8. Nachi

Tuesday 21.1.2020

Karate Kids:
    Two troublemakers arrived today after quite a while, not to the delight of others. However, they were surprisingly quiet today. Especially the one who like to scream and always do stuff. Just do it. After warm-up I skipped stretching today and had them practise hiki uke and tora guchi - two open handed techniques that appear in Gekisai Dai Ni kata that I wanted to teach them. As agreed before, Sett arrived in the middle of the class to help me out. Since there were two of us, we could split the kids into two groups - Sett taught Gekisai Dai Ni kata and I took the most advanced boy to teach him Saifa. The class went surprisingly well :)

Karate adults:
    Except for that just as I was about to begin, I got the call from sensei. He appologized he'd be coming late. The adult class starts at 6 pm and lasts till 8. Sensei said he will arrive somewhere between 6 and 7, then thought and said probably closer to 7 and advised me to practise kakie and bunkai from kakie. I told Sett and he started the class with Junbi Undo and some stuff with pads he thought of some time ago. He took the full hour, so I was thinking if we really got the time to still do some kakie. I was naively thinking that sensei would indeed arrive around 7 o'clock. Well, he had to arrive as today his new course of self defence for men was starting at 8 pm. But it was indeed at 8 that the men arrived and sensei was still nowhere to be seen. Nervous, we gave him a call, but he was just arriving. Didn't join the karate class, obviously. So we managed to go throuhg kakie and bunkai of Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni, a little bit of work-out, and one kata at the end. While I was teaching kakie, Sett took a brown-belt friend away and was helping her with Shisochin kata.
    I was an odd person to the lot, so I was going around correcting stuff, not getting practise myself during kakie. But I think correcting was more important now.

Polar results:
    Time: 3:02
    Max HR: 166
    Average HR: 103
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 798
    Fat burn: 49%

Travess likes this.
  9. Nachi

Thursday 23.1.2020

Karate:

I was generally thinking it would not be a bad idea to always come to dojo with a plan for a class in mind in case sensei was missing. I mentioned this to Sett, who said he's basically doing just that....
    However, when I arrived today, sensei was already there, teaching the kids class, as he should, so I felt save and despite having a bit of spare time, didn't spare my precious energy of thinking up potential program. The kids class ended maybe 10 mins later and as we assembled in the dojo, sensei said that a physiotherapist is coming in 6:15 (basically any moment now) to take a look at the physiotherapy room we have in dojo that is currently empty.
    That was all. So we were going to start the class, hoping the meeting wouldn't take too long. We were caught off guard, so I quickly came up with a game for warm-up that we didn't in quite some time and continued with Junbi Undo. Still, sensei was nowhere to be seen. Sett had time to think through the plan he had in mind for today, which were a few combinations in pairs. We then did that and felt that it is a good thing to do until sensei comes - can be stopped at any time.
    In the end, sensei arrived at 7 pm, in middle of the training. Sensei also had us do similar combinations, a few finished with a bunkai. Or some kicking and blocking combos. Sensei said he was planning that for today and also a kata and bunkai practise, especially because of a friend preparing for the black belt grading, but there wasn't enough time for that. We did Renzoku bunkai kumite for Gekisai Dai Ichi and Gekisai Dai Ni instead. In the end it was a good class. But I may really just make some class plans to have in store in case sensei isn't teaching and I don't know in advance...

Polar results:
    Time: 1:54
    Max HR: 170
    Average HR: 122
    Kcal: 741
    Fat burn: 37 %

Friday - no tai chi, the school has a Chinese New Year celebrations that I am planning to attend, but it will be tea ceremony, form demonstrations, some talking about taichi and trips to china, but no regular training or practise for me.

In the weekend, as every month, we should go make a training to a dojo in Sedlčany. Sensei will yet let us know which day exactly. I hope it works out.

Morik likes this.
  10. Nachi

It turned out sensei was busy on Sunday, so he asked us - Sett and I to go alone, if we could. So we prepared for the Sunday training in Sedlčany. Unfortunately, Saturday evening I got a sore throat and felt like a cold was creeping on me. Sunday I didn't feel better and decided not to go in the end. I didn't want to bring any illness over to the other dojo and I started to feel not too well. The decicion not to go turned out to be a good one as my not feeling too well resulted into a fever in the evening.

So I only asked how the training went etc. Sett brought back a big chunk of homemade smoked meat, which was a gift from a dad of one of the students of the dojo. We have previously gotten literally a bucket of that meat when we picked the girl to drive to a seminar in Slovakia before. I am not sure how we deserved it this time, but it was delicious!

Monday morning I feel much better, with normal temperature, for now. In the past three years or so, this is actually only about a third time since I had a fever, and all of those times, the fever lasted exactly one evening... So it would be good if it was the case this time, too.

11. Nachi

This week was terrible, training-wise. My fever got better, but my cough worsened instead. I didn't go to any training at all, asked sensei if he could take my kis class instead, but sensei wrote he had a fever, too! Poor Sett had to teach all the karate classes this week.
    I thought I'd get better and although I thought karate was out of question, I was pretty sure I'd at least make it to taichi. Well, I didn't. I'd just be coughing through the class and be really tired and I am sure the others wouldn't appreciate me there, either. I haven't really left my home this week, except a couple of last visits to a dentist. She said cough didn't matter, so I went.
    Sett brought me to a pharmacy to get something for the cough (I still think my ginger tea is enough), but the pharmacist was looking at me like: Seriously, why haven't you gone to see you physician? She tried to tell me that this is the case for antibiotics. Well, I guess if it doesn't get better, I'll go at the beginning of the next week.... otherwise it would be no trainings for me again and I am really feeling bad for sitting on my butt all day...

On Saturday we did at least a slow walk, for an hour and 20 minutes or so.

axelb likes this.
  12. Nachi

The next week my cough didn't let up, either. It got better,but in turn I started to be more tired generally. In the end, I didn't go to any training, either. Even decided against Tai chi in the end.

Only on Sunday 9.2. sensei M asked Sett if he'd or we'd (not sure) come to the dojo to practise bukai with him as a practise for the upcoming black belt grading - he's going to go for San Dan. I decided to go as this was a nice opportunity to try an easy training to slowly ease into the training regime again. We went through all the bunkai we knew. Apart from those sensei needed bunkai for Sepai, which we were never taught, so we were just going to attack sensei in whatever way he asked us, but... he couldn't remember those bunkai, either. At the end I am not sure if sensei was going to practise kata, but I asked him if he could do Kururunfa. It is the next kata after Sepai and I know it looks pretty good. And sensei seemed to be in the mood, so we sat down in seiza to watch, but sensei didn't feel like just showing us like in a theatre and asked if we wanted to try with him and learn a bit. I was unsure about that, but Sett wanted to go for it, so we just tried mimicking sensei who went step by step. I only focused to end us in the same position as him and really didn't remember anything. We did this only once. Then we decided to do a bit of a training for ourselves and went through Saseru and Sepai. Sensei joined us. Also watched our Sanseru once to give us some tips. And helped with one move in Sepai I just can't get down. His way of showing it helped me, but I am not sure if I still remember :(

This training lasted for an hour and was fairly relaxed. My cough worsened slightly after the activity, but not too terribly.
    The head sensei - sensei J was invited today, too, and he wanted to come, but called just before the training that he has a higher temperature and doesn't feel well, so he won't make it.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:11
    Max HR: 142
    Average HR: 102
    Training benefit: Recovery training
    Kcal: 296
    Fat burn:

Travess likes this.
  13. Nachi

Tuesday 11.2.

I thought I can't miss another kids class and have Sett or sensei stand in, and I was getting better, so I went. Planning to maybe try or not participate in the adult class dependent on how I'd feel.

Kids class:
    Biggest troublemakers were not present. Great. I didn't have the capacity to shout too much today. I didn't have anything in particular prepared for today, so I asked if there was something anyone wanted to practise/do today. Two or three kids wanted to practise kata for their next grading. The most advanced boy remembered that he needed two new kata - Saifa that he was learning, and one more - Sanchin. The youngest wanted to do a game with running through obstacles and pads etc. Which is only a game, but since I was planning to go forward with what the others asked, why not add a game?
    At the beginning someone asked about the big calligraphy with the names of all our kata. I spent 10-15 mins talking about that. The kids seemed surprisingly interested. I explained a bit about Sanchin and Tensho kata.
    Skipped stretching and Junbi Undo - too much to do today and nothing where they'd need much of their flexibility. Continued with a game for a warm up and the obstacle game. After we had about half an hour left. Sett showed up and asked if I wanted help. Why not? I tried explaining the specifics of Sanchin, let the kids try breathing into their bellies and went to each one to put some pressure on their lower belly trying to get them breath into that spot. A lot of them had trouble breathing in a different way than to their chest while raising their shoulders. The two siblings - one of them the youngest boy, though, managed really well. Then I explained the stance a bit and we tried the whole kata once. I was explaining, facing them, showing the movements, Sett was the same direction as them so they could check their posture and which hand to move etc. We only had time for one kata with all that explanation. None of the kids has ever tried or really heard anything about Sanchin before.
    At the end we only had time for one normal kata - so everyone picked one they wanted - like the kata for their grading - and practise once.
    And I nearly forgot, btu I promised to show what Tensho kata looked like. So I did one with Sett so that the kids could see.
    The class went surprisingly well today.

Karate adults:
    Sensei wasn't still feeling too well, but I asked him earlier to day if he was coming just so we know wheather to prepare something to teach, but after a first ambivalent answer sensei said he'd come. And he did. I decided I was feeling uite ok and would try, maybe half of the class. We practised blocks and combinations in pairs and for the first half of the class in an easy pace. And a bit of work out in pairs. Sensei paired me with a beinner girl so I can go easy.
    I then continued till the end. the other half of the class was in a faster pace, practising combinations in groups of three and my cough was getting worse, but other than that I could manage. Sensei put me in a group with a friend with injury and another beginner, so even the final work out we had a bit easier compared to the guys' group.
    I am really tired though, even if the class was easy.
    I am thinking of maybe still skipping Thursday class, going to tai chi on Friday and on Saturday there will be a training for black belts and instructors with people from other dojos coming. It should be more technical than physically difficult, so I should manage, even if it is supposed to take 3-4 hours.

Can't download training from my hest strap, so no polar data.

axelb, Mitch and Travess like this.
  14. Nachi

Friday 14.2.

Tai Chi

Went after a while, but we still practised the same. I tried to keep the stances low.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:33
    Max HR: 155
    Average HR: 116
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 553
    Fat burn: 45%

Mitch, axelb and Travess like this.
  15. Nachi

Saturday:

Black and brown belt training in our dojo and a general meeting in our dojo.

We started with a three hour long training with all the black belts and brown belts from our association. There were therefore guests from all the other dojos except one that doesn't have an active brown or blackbelt and the instructor probably couldn't make it.

We wet through San Dan Gis up to San Dan Gi Go, Ippon kumite in groups, Renzoku kumite, Sanchin kata - both types and shime and Tensho. The training was also about preparation of the three candidates for grading - for first, second and fourth dan. Our sensei M who wanted to grade for third dan couldn't make it today, unortunately.

Then we split into groups by grades to practise our kata needed for the next gading - Sanseru for us. Sensei was going around helpng us with details etc. In the middle of the training, a guest showed up - our sensei K who hasn't been training for a while now as she has a year old son. She, however, left him with his dad today and arrived to train, which was great :) Her plan actually is to participate in the upcoming gasshuku, if she can figure out some babysitting for that time. That would be really cool. It was nice to see her after a while. We were sort of expecting her to show up for the general meeting, so we luckily brought a T-shirt we brought her as a souvenir from Okinawa. We, however, didn't really expect for her to come and train.

At the end, by the groups we practised kata in we went to do all our katas in from of others. Meaning Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni, Saifa, Seiyunchin, Shisochin, Sanseru and Sanchin for me. No Tensho. After that when the next group went up, we were told to do 100 push-ups, 100 crunches and 100 squats. I tried asking sensei if by any chance we can switch between the exercises, like say, do 20 of each and then 20 of each. But sensei still hasn't forgiven me I did this at my black belt grading and said he'd never allow that, I can just forget about it. So I just started my struggle with the push-ups. However, of our group of 4, 2 were alternating the exercises. Only Sett and I knew better. Therefore I finished last. I took time with the push-ups, but wanted to work hard and at least do the crunches and squats as best as I can. So I focused on going all the way up with my body in the crunches and chose normal squats, insted of the sumo ones we usually do in karate (which everyone else chose) and paid good attention to always get my thighs parallel to the floor. I managed to do a hundred like this with no problem, but stopped after every 10 for a short break and then did the 10 squats fast. I think it could have been worse considering I have been skipping trainings for the past three weeks...

We then went for a dinner and returned for the general meeting summarizing the past year in our association, the big events and seminars that will come etc.

I chnged the battery, but I am still having trouble downloading the training from my chest strap, so although I was curious, I have no hr measure today, either.

16. Nachi

Thursday 20.2.

Today, after a few months pondering it and getting more and more excited about it, I bought an electric scooter to make trips out for birdwatching and stuff. Not really good for exercise, but definitely for fun :)

From the hsope, Sett and I went straight to the dojo. There are school holidays this week, meaning sensei is away and Sett has taken it upon himself to teach the classes. I am still coughing, though, and feeling rather tired, and had still some work to do, so I practised a few kata and kakie kumite with Sett to come up with all the various techniques he could then use in class aimed to help a friend prepare for the black belt grading. I felt reluctant to go to the next room and work, so I stayed for half an hour into the training for chi ishi exercises and some leg work-out.

Friday 21.2.
    It has been nearly a month of coughing for me now, so I gave in and went to see my GP. Of course, she had been away, but appointed another GP nearby to send her patients to, so I went, since I've already made up my mind. I was given the CRP test that came out negative, but was given antibiotics nonetheless. I am a bit conflicted about this. I do not like taking medication pointlessly, but ok, whatever, the gasshuku is getting near and I'd really like to be fir for it and not annoy everyone with constant coughing.

17. Nachi

Friday 21.2.
    I wanted to go to taichi, but got on the wrong tram. Decided to get out at the next stop and go for a subway, then another one and a tram, finally. However, I was quite tired, not focusing, reading, and before I knew it, I went two stations past... By this point I felt like sleeping while standing, so I decided to turn back, went home, took a shower, and went straight to sleep.

Saturday and Monday I made trips on my new scooter.

Tuesday 25.2.

Went for karate kids class. Practised a few kicks, Sanchin kata and other katas towards the end. Quite a lot of kids today. The two who used to give me a lot of trouble are suddenly pretty calm and nice. But there are a couple of others taking their place and annoying everyone else. Ah, well...

Didn't feel particularly energetic, so I planned to leave before the adult class. That was when I saw a missed call from sensei. Sett said he already spoke to him. Basically sensei wasn't coming today nor on Thursday. I felt a bit guilty to leave Sett there, but he didn't seem to mind too much.

I decided to take it easy this week and get a rest. I am still working since I am working from home, but skipped all the karate, including the Wednesday faculty class that has already started.

Friday I went to see my usual GP as instructed, after finishing the antibiotics. As expected, I don't feel the antibiotics really helped. I mean, the cough has gotten a bit better, but as much as it was getting better without the pills. My GP today prescribed Codein for the next week. By the time I finish it, the Gasshuku starts. My fitness levels will be a disaster by then.... I will only have an opportunity to come to class on Tuesday and I promised a few weeks ago I would teach the wednesday faculty class. So I guess I'll see how it goes.
    I am reluctant to go to taichi today. I am just plain lazy :D
    I wonder how codein affects exercise, though. I just read it slows HR and breath. So I checked my watch and found out that I had a lowest measured HR today while awake at 40 :D Ok, I guess what I read was true. I usually get between 48 and 50ish something, but 40 just seems much lower.

18. Nachi

This weekend we have a big Gasshuku. I wanted to be fit and exercise before it, but not feeling the best still and taking the codein, I thought to take it easy this week. I skipped Tuesday class and sensei agreed to teach the kids in my stead. On Wednesday, however, I promised sensei M a few weeks ago that I would teach at faculty, as he's away.

Karate - uni:
    There are two classes - first beginners, than advanced, both 75 mins.

Beginners:
    I said I wouldn't participate too much, but I did. I just hate to issue work-outs and do nothing. We started with running across in various ways. There I pushed my HR to 181 bpm...
    Then we did Jubi Undo, reviewed their tsuki and age uke as well as hiza geri. Did some footwork and then I paired them to drill tsuki and age uke, then with moving sideways. And bodyweight exercises throughout. At least I didn't participate in the drill, but those were the least demanding. And a Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally Down song at the end with raising legs while lying. Not ever touching floor. Few people actually lasted till the end!

Advanced (slightly):

A few people from the beginners stayed for this class. I started coughing quite a bit again and got a bit of a headache and I thought I am definitely not going to overdo it this time. We played game of tag for a warm-up (I didn't want to do the competitive runnign again as there was again an odd number of people and I would have to participate. And since a few people stayed and they wanted to do a game of tag anyway.)
    Junbi Undo and a bit of a work-out.
    I wanted to go through Gekisai Dai Ichi kata with them. Some kind of knew it, some didn't remember it too much and the beginners had no idea. But this is an advanced class, so I guess they will have to do their best. I started with going only through the footwork, explaining everything, including the japanese names since I was asked to do that. Then we went twice through the whole kata. I was demonstrating and explaining everything, but the beginners were obviously quite lost. Therefore at the end of the class we went through some of the techniques - namely yoko and harai uke.
    Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally down again, this time with sumo squats. As expected everyone lasted till the end, but some didn't look particularly happy.

I told both groups about this weekend's gasshuku, but it is a tthe last notice, although sensei M probably told them as some people claimed. I don't thing anyone will really come, though. Two people were moderately interested, but that's about it. One girl at least is planning to start visiting our dojo starting next semester and maybe she will grade again in June.

That would be great :)

Polar results:
    Time: 2:54 (I forgot to stop the training until half an hour later - that obviously had to affect the average HR etc., although it was still quite a bit higher than an average karate class)
    Max HR: 181
    Average HR: 128
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training, long
    Kcal: 1230 (Yep, I didn't manage to take it easy. At least the first class)
    Fat burn: 33%

Travess likes this.
  19. Nachi

Thursday 5.3.2020

The Czeck IOGKF is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year and sensei organized a weekend seminar - gasshuku, inviting two awesome senior instroctors of IOGKF to teach and a few more seior instructors to participate in the teaching for one day. The training was going to be 2,5 hours on Friday, and 5 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

The invited instructors were:

Sensei Tetsuji Nakamura (7th dan, IOGKF Chief instructor, Canada)
    Sensei Ernie Molyneux (8th dan, IOGKF Vice chief instructor and chief instructor of EGKA, England)
    Sensei Roy Flatt (8th dan, England)
    Sensei Paul Nolan (7th dan, England)
    Sensei Peter Galer (7th dan, England)
    Sensei Torben Svendsen (7th dan, Denmark)

For us, the honestly rather exhausting (but in a good way) weekend started on Thursday, when sensei Nakamura arrived to Prague. Our sensei picked him from his hotel and we went with him for a short walk to the Old Town and for a dinner in a medieval tavern. Sensei Nakamura is very nice, always smiling and it was a great evening.

Friday in the morning, Sett went to pick sensei Roy to the airport, while I was asked by sensei to come to his school, where sensei Nakamura would teach a kids class - sensei's school (he is the principal) has a focus on karate, which is taught in several classes. Me and another friend were going around, helping correct the kids, who were around a hundred in number.
    After the class, it was sensei who went to the airport this time to pick up sensei Ernie and sensei Torben I think. In the meanwhile, Sett and I brought sensei Nakamura for lunch and then for a walk to Vyšehrad - a nice place in Prague, which is very nice, too, but doesn't have too many tourists. We saw a nice graveyars with many famous Czechs and visited a basilique.
    It was really cool to be able to tour sensei Nakamura around Prague like this. Sensei Nakamura has a very high standing in IOGKF and really is someone to look up to. It is kind of like spending time with a celebrity of the karate world. He is very nice and friendly, though.

We then drove sensei Nakamura to his hotel and had a bit of a free time. After that we went to sensei's school where today's training was going to take place. We prepared a few things - like sticking some arrows with kenkon to lead people the right way. Sett then drove back to the hotel to pick up sensie Nakamura, sensei Ernie and sensei Roy. While I didn't seem too busy, sensei gave me and a friend a mission to go out to the main street and direct people to the right entrance to the school. We picked one of those kenkon sighs each and took strategical spots in the street. The first person to arrive, half an hour before training, called out to me as he saw my sign I pinned on my chest (it was very cold and I didn't have gloves, so I was not going to just hold it). I directed him to the school, but he still then came up to me, took out his phone and took a picture of me, amused that he hasn't yet seen a live sigh on a gasshuku like this. Then hugged me "nice to see you" and left. I realised it was actually sensei Torben, whom I haven't really known. Me and friend then went back after about 25 minutes, when we were rather cold already and wanted to change into a gi and be ready for the training in time.

Friday 6.3.: 18:30 - 21:00.

Quite a few people gathered for the first day already. Nearly a hundred, I think. After Junbi Undo, sensei Ernie and sensie Nakamura split us into two groups - kyu and dan grades. Our group was taught by sensei Nakamura. We started with Sanchin kata and then did some exercises connected to Sanchin, like practising the right stance, using "Sanchin sit-up" I have never seen before. Then he pointed out some similarities with Sanseru kata and we worked a bit on that one. Unfortunately, I don't remember that much from this training and I didn't have time to write notes as I was planning as our sensei approached us after this block to ask us, or Sett in particular to go pick sensei Paul and Peter to the airport. Sensie would have gone himself, but after the class ended, he would need to send all the people to a nearby restaurant for a dinner and organize everything, so we thought it best that we go to the airport. We therefore missed sensei Ernie's block.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:42
    Max HR: 153
    Average HR: 99
    Training benefit: Regenerative training
    Kcal: 403
    Fat burn: 53%

The class wasn't physically demanding, but still, my HR seemed to be pretty low. Not sure if it is possible there was a problem with the chest strap (but can't imagine what kind) or maybe it was the work of the Codein pills, last of which I took on Thursday evening?

It turned out sensei Paul's and sensei Peter's plane arrived maybe 25 minutes early, so they were already waiting there. We appologized and offered to take them to a hotel. Our sensei - sensei Jarda - thought they'd be tired and would probably like to go to a hotel. I thought it unlikely that they would miss the dinner since their flight was short and in a daytime. They only had carry on luggage and wanted us to take them straight to the restaurant. Which is what we did after I checked with their hotel that it isn't a problem to check in late.
    In the restaurant, most people ordered in advance - we had the meny posted on the internet, so the meals were handed out pretty fast, with sensei K organizing them. I helped a bit when needed. After dinner, at around midnight we took sensie Paul and Peter to the hotel, stayed to make sure there is no problem and went home. We got to bed at around 1 am. I was very tired as I usually go at 11 pm at most. Unfortunately, there was a lot to prepare in the morning, so We set an alarm for about 6.30 am. Not too much sleep to be had...

Travess likes this.
  20. Nachi

20th anniversary of IOGKF in the Czech Republic - day II

We had to get up late, drove to teh school and took all the needed things to another school with big gym. Sensei and Sett drove to pick up senseis while me and a few people from our other dojo prepared the venue, tried to hang up a huge poster in the gym, which was, however, a meter too long, so it was just resting on the floor. There wasn't any higher place than the balcony to hang it from, though.

The training started at 9 am for black belts.
    We were split into groups of 1st - 3rd dan and 4th dan and above. Our group was taught by sensei Ernie. We did Tensho kata and then practised actual Tensho bunkai, which, now tht I think of it, I might have heard about before, but they were very new to me.

At 10 am the training started for everyone. We were split to adults and children. Adults stayed in the gym and did warm-up led by Nakamura sensei. It wasn't the usual Junbi Undo. Rather, sensei had seveal exercises to relax ad loosen up our muscles while moving and building up to trying soe techniques derived from the movement of spine. Relaxed ad fast. The exercises were simple, yet the principles very important and hard to apply. Compared to sensei Nakamura, we were as stiff as bricks. Watching sensei show this stuff and even some techniques, like mawashi geri, his karate kind of looks very different and very awesome. I was very happy about this session.

11 am we were split to kyu grades and dan grades. Our group had sensei Nakamura again.
    We worked on some footwork and worken in pairs, later in groups on a simple exercise to avoid people left and right. Very easy in theory, but very nice, too! Senior instructors were also going around, helping us. For me it meant sensei Paul as an additional "attacker" from behind, so when it was my round against six people instead of five, I just screwed up :D It was kind of fun, though!
    Toward the end we did some partner drills, combinations. Worked on this with sensei K, who left her toddler home with grandma and came to train, which was very nice :)

12 am senseis switched and Ernie sensei came to teach us
    I think sensei Ernie really likes his combinations, kumite drills and working in pairs. We did five combinations with a few variations. I paired up with another lady. I felt her techniques were very nice and felt bad when I had a hard time remembering the combinations sensei only briefly showed. She was slightly better at this, but some of the stuff we just missed.
    However, I am spending all the breaks between the blocks to write down all the stuff we did in order not to forget, because all of that is very interesting. And if I don't know, I ask friends to help me come up with everything. Everyone is lazy to write and eager to get their hands on my notebook later :)

13 am - Nakamura sensei again.
    We started with turning Sanchin and continued with Tensho bunkai. Not the same as the ones we were taught by sensei Ernie, but since they are bunkai, they were of course similar.

Polar results:
    Time: 5:26 (I forgot to end the training until 20 mins later...)
    Max HR: 171
    Average HR: 102
    Kcal: 1347
    Fat burn: 51%

After training, sensei and Sett drove all the senseis back to their hotel, while me and a few other ladies from our dojo styed behind, cleaned up, made up plans acoording to what is necessary, and closed the school.
    Then we had more or less a free afternoon, but we had to drive somewhere etc., so we didn't really get to rest, only for about 40 minutes. Later Sett dropped me and a friend at a restaurant where there was going to be the Sayonara party at 7 pm. We were here about an hour and a half in advance, because Sett just turned and drove to pick up senseis again - the guys from Slovakia wanted to discuss soething with them just before the Sayonara party.
    In the meanwhile my job was to take care of all the IOGKF passports. Members of the IOGKF visiting a seminar hand their membership book over so that the main teaching sensei could sign their attendance at the seminar. Sensei Nakamura lent us his stamp, so I stamped all the passports we were given. That was how I found out the lady I partnered up with today was a Sandan. No wonder her techniques seem really good!

During the Sayonara party, Slovakians next to us shared some of their plum spirit with senseis, and me as well. Luckily, I know how to drink not to choke on it, which was a good way to make senseis want to try. None really seemed to enojy it too much, though.

At the party the results of the dan grading that took place in the afternoon were announced. Everyone - 3 people - passed. That meant that we have a third shodan in our dojo - Sett's childhood friend who joined our dojo with Sett at th same time as I did. And the sensei of our association's dojo successfully passed his Nidan.
    When I was eating my dinner, I oveheard that Nakamura sensei was just calling out my name. Me and Sett received our black belt certificates that sensei Nakamura brought with him from Canada. They are wonderful with a spcial hand print, which is a japanese technique and according to sensei's words, quite rare. With Morio Higaonna shihan named on it.

Later, Sett drove sensie Paul and Peter to the hotel and returned for me. Got to bed some time after midnight. Luckily, we don't need to get up as early tommorrow...

Travess likes this.