Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sunday 2.12.

Sensei planned a trip to a small dojo led by a blue belt, as he usually goes like once or twice a year. It is usually around Christmas time and Sett and I have been joining him for the past few years, just as today.

Training in Sedlčany (2 hours):

My hamstring still hurt, although it was getting much better each day. I still had to limp and move slowly as sudden quick move usually hurt enough that I didn't really want to try again :D
    I went easy on the stretching, avoided some stretches on the side where I felt like I couldn't do them, and the ones I could do, I did very relaxed, making sure it won't hurt. I also avoided a warm-up which included some running around in groups and generally did all the moves we had to do very slow. We did a lot of partner work. Usually kick + a couple of punches and block, while the other side blocks everything and counters. I didn't even try to kick as I was a bit worried, so instead on all the right sided kicking, I did a similar arm technique or a punch, depending on what the block was supposed to be.
    Towards the end, we did San Dan Gi. I avoided the kick in the San Dan Gi Ni, but because there are some low stances which I was afrain to go into quickly, I pardoned myself from drilling in in pairs and sensei took my place.
    Later he gave me the white and yellow belts to practise Gekisai Dai Ichi kata with. Later he and Seth took other groups to practice the next kata.

My leg actually felt a little bit better after the training, if I can judge :)

Polar had low battery and didn't start today. But I was very relaxed anyway :D I only did the hand techniques normally :)

axelb likes this.
  2. Nachi

Busy week, had to skip all the trainings till Friday 7th:

On the way from our training on Sunday we discussed a bit about what is happening in our other dojo led by a kyu grade, who invited his old teacher to be a chief instructor without any discussion or message to anyone. He still claims to be a dojo of our organization, but now they learn different stuff, do their own grading that has nothing to do with our organization etc. So we also wanted to find out what it is all about.

Training in Benešov (3h altogether):
    We did a training there, for kids and adults, unfortunately without either of the teachers participating, which was a bit of a pity. My leg is better and better, I started kicking carefully, but I didn't attempted to stretch the leg when stretching, although I led one Junbi Undo. I also didn't do much kicking in the kids class and decided to help the beginners instead :oops:
    As for the adult class, we did some partner work, a bit of randori and Ude Tan Ren (Iron body conditioning), etc. We also did Gekisai Dai Ichi kata, but we were going around, watching and correcting if needed.

After we went for a dinner with the dojo's instructor and his assistant. The instructor explained how and why things happened, our sensei told him his perspective, too. I am happy I was able to be there, although it ended the only way it could have, I suppose: their dojo as a whole left our association. Sadly, but inevitably at this point. It is impossible to do two very similar, yet different styles at the same time in one dojo and the instructor's viewpoint and methods differed a whole lot from sensei's and ours. Some things I could understand, but some I was quite baffled about. The dojo still has open doors should they ever want to return and for the one or two peope who still wish to attend our seminars and events, they are always welcome.

Polar results:
    Time: 2:46
    Max HR: 164
    Average HR: 121
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 1060
    Fat burn: 39 %

Travess and axelb like this.
  3. Nachi

Saturday 8.12.

As every year, at around the second weekend in December, there was a Christmas karate seminar in Jindřichův Hradec.
    There weren't actually all that many adults, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless.
    There was our sensei going and the four of us as usual, but in the morning our other sensei asked us about a place in the car. She wasn't going to train as she is expecting a baby in about a couple of weeks, but especially because of it, it was awesome she decided to go, too :)

At the seminar, there were four senseis 3rd to 5th dan teaching. After we greeted everyone, I asked one of the senseis who is going to lead the grading as I was curious. He turned to me and said, let's decide by rock paper scissors. "Ha!" I thought :D Well, sensei won, though. He gave me another chance to decide the winner in three tries, then in five... but he won every single time :mad: (well, not every single time, I am not that bad, but fromthe three tries or five, sensie always won the majority). I wonder what would happen if I'd actually won :D Lol, I would totally make sure the people grading would remember this one! XD

Anyway, for the first part, the local sensei led the warm-up and Junbi Undo, our sensei took the kids to another room and the two remaining led the grading, where our friend was participating and grading for 2nd kyu. Everyone was succesful :)

As for the warm-up, we did quite a few exercises in pairs or groups of three. My hamstrings ge better and better, but some stretches were a no-no still and I already tried to kick more or less carefully. Generally side kicks and rounhouses were ok to do even faster, but stuff like mae geri still hurt a bit when I forgot and tretched the leg. It is not a terrible pain, but quick, unexpected and sharp, so it makes me stop the movement. And I prefer to go easy until it is healed completely. Also going down in burpees probably made me stretch the leg in a way I didn't want to and then they became a bigger struggle than usual. Other than that, I was able to do everything, which was great :)

We were then divided into groups by grades, our group was brown belt up, there were four of us brown belts and one lonely Ni dan. First block, sensei had us pick kata. The browns all picked Shisochin, the black belt Sepai. We practised two different parts that sensei explained to detail, and the bunkai that are associated with them, as well as teh whole kata several times.

The next block, the next sensei had us go through San Dan Gi Ichi, Ni, San, Shi and a sort of a kicking San Dan Gi. Both solo and in pairs, mostly in pairs, then adding one self-defence technique to each San Dan Gi, until we finally chained everything and practised in pairs.

The last block was led by our sensei, together with a sensei who doesn't always teach at the seminars and isn't much into details, but is really good in locks, throws, etc. and he like teaching that. Our sesnei neeeded to leave before the end, so this other sensei was supposed to take over then. However, sensei gave us a clear task, which would probably last us for most of the 45 minutes: Do kakie in pairs and go through all the bunkai you know from kakie, once on each side. We did that. Some were a bit strange or we had to first figure out how to start them from kakie, but I think it mostly worked. When I saw the other sensei, being a partner to the black belt, are watching teh two of us, talking to themselves about where we are and wondering how we could do some of those bunkai. When I noticed, I said something about that it can be done, but by that point, sensei already got on the train of: This exercise is stupid, to waste kakie on something like this, you can practise bunkai like that at home in front of a mirror, we better do something useful :D Our sensei, who gave us this task was probably somewhere saying his goodbyes, so he didn't have any say anymore. And I was totally expecting, what kind of excuse the present sesnei would make so that we can practise lock and throws, etc. and here it was! :D When our sensei was finally leaving, he seemed not to be really surprised and just made "I see what your doing" gesture at sensei, who didn't really care and was happy we can do Aikido and JiuJitsu stuff :D It was nice though, no complains there :) We don't get to do it that often and it is always great to learn this from sensei :)

For the last three minutes, the organizing senesi had us do some work-out and techniques to get rid of the remaining energy of ours :)

Then we all headed for a dinner and after back to Prague, so I was able to get home at around midnight.

Polar results:
    Time: 4:07
    Max HR: 179
    Average HR: 125
    Kcal: 1669
    Fat burn: 37 %

axelb likes this.
  4. Nachi

Wow, it has been really long. There weren't many trainings I took part in, however I forgot to log the last one before Christmas, which was on 11.12.2018.

Karate kids and adults:
    Our guest from Moldova was going to leave soon and she wanted to make this her last training. I contacted sensei to let him know, because I was worried he may decide not to come if he's busy somewhat. I don't remember much of what we've done, but I had kids training and sensei taught the adult class after that.

My Polar results were:
    Time: 2:23
    Max HR: 156
    Average HR: 105
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 647
    Fat burn: 50 %

Self-defence:
    Since this was the last time with the guest, sensei planned for us to go for a dinner at least after class. However, this was Tuesday and sensei leaves earlier on Tuesdays as he goes to his school teach self defence for women. The guest sometimes tagged along, so we basically all finished the karate class half an hour early and moved to self defence. (When I say all, I mean sensei, the guest and maybe three of us). We did participate in some exercises, but in some we were acting only as pad holders and stuff like that.

My Polar results:
    Time: 1:21
    Max HR: 153
    Average HR: 109
    Kcal: 398
    Fat burn: 48 %

We were lucky that our favourite Asian restaurant was still willing to cook a mean for us at around 10 pm. We had a nice chat and said our goodbyes. So sad....

Since then I skipped maybe a couple of classes as I didn't realise the last term before Christmas was a Christmas party and no trainings. So I did nothing D:

However, my leg still wasn't ok. It was getting rapidly better in the first week or so, but since then, nothing has changed for maybe three weeks. So I was still moving and doing kicks quite carefully. I did go on several walks during the holidays, but I can still feel the injured leg when walking, especially when walking fast, which was a bit uncomfortable. Now, January 3rd, I took a day off doing nothing at all, which, as I realised by now, kinda helps. Three days ago I thought there was no improvement at all, but today, I tried stretching and I can definitely get into positions I couldn't a couple weeks ago. I can even sit with legs straight in front of me and actually touch the toes. Slowly and carefully, but I can! Which is awesome, as this stretch was among the most problematic. Still, I am going to be careful as I want it to heal properly and I want to restart crossfit asap, too. I've gain weight, I am fat now and I need to get some muscle and condition back! :)

axelb and Travess like this.
  5. Nachi

Thursday 3.1.2019

Sensei originally wanted to do a special advancd training for the few of us, before the school and regular trainings start, but somehow it turned out that there was a training, but sensei wasn't there....
    I arrived around half an hour late.

Karate class:

When I arrived there were three other people. After some warm-up and stretching (never going to underestimate them again), I joined them in a sequencial exercise of sorts. We also did some kihon ido lately. Then they wanted to do kata, but I needed to go as it was well past 8 already, so I skipped, unfortunately. It was the one thing I wanted to do, but the time flew by too fast.

My Polar results:
    Time: 1:30
    Max HR: 154
    Average HR: 111
    Kcal: 469
    Fat burn: 48 %

Travess likes this.
  6. Nachi

Tuesday 8.1.2019

First Kids class after Christmas:
    To be honest I wasn't the most enthusiastic about it (also because I had to hurry up to be able to make it on time). In the end, there were 7 kids (most I had since the start of the school year, I think), as the cute little girl brought with herself a boy from her family, I think (I didn't ask much as they arrived in the middle of the class) and another small boy brought his... well he called him his cousin, I think. He called him brother, but... I don't know. Anyway, this little karateka of ours is fro Kazachstan, but understand Czech even if he may take a bit longer to say what he wants. Unfortunately, his cousin didn't speak a word in Czech, nor English and even if the languages are a bit of similar and my experience from time spent in Russia taught me that vodka erases all language barriers, I don't understand Russian. Luckily, we have one other Russian boy, a bit older one, who speaks both languages pretty good, so he got the job of a translator. And although he is fairly hyperactive and is a pain to handle sometimes, he was very responsble with this, so it worked well for me.
    It was the first class after Christmas and after grading, so I took the class a bit easy - technique-wise. We did soe ground fights (get your partner on their back etc.) and games and only covered tsuki for the newcomers, in hopefully fun ways. Then pads for tsuki and hiza geri and a gae at the end. Even though more kids = more loud voices => me having to basically shout whatever I wanted to say => sorethroat an more exhaustion, I found this class pretty fun and I enjoyed it quite a lot! :)

When I finished a bit later, I thought there will be no more mental strain, but as I stepped out of the dojo ten minutes into the adult class, I learned sensei is nowhere to be seen. I had no message from him today, so I asked and he appologized he can't make it today. So me and Sett quickly thought of something to do.

Adult class:
    - Game of tag with variations in between
    - Junbi Undo
    - Footwork practise + some type of kihon ido exercise
    - Oyo bunkai - everyone took turns in adding techniques to the bunka and we all practised, so we only had time to finish two actually.
    - I left 13 mins earlier as I had something to still do today.

Polar results:
    Time: 2:47
    Max HR: 170
    Average HR: 120
    Kcal: 1030
    Fat burn: 41 %

axelb likes this.
  7. Nachi

Ok, so, I wasn't training very much. Just before the next training, the dojo got flooded big time (central heating or something broke). I wasn't there to take care of it immediately. Unfortunately all the carpets we put in place in summer were destroyed. There was a company taking care of the drying and of repairing floors and some other stuff, but basically the dojo was out of order for about a couple of weeks.

In the meantime I was also moving to a new place, which kept me busy a bit, too, so I didn't get much exercise done. I moved my kettlebell, though, and decided to try it out and get back in form. I did a couple home bodyweight and kettlebell trainings, at least. The first one after a while made me sore for about the next three days, so despite me planning to exercise regularly, I really didn't :D

Tuesday, 22.1.19:
    Bodyweight & kettlebell (measured with Polar watch):
    Time: 0:27
    Max HR: 174
    Average HR: 142
    Training benefit: Steady State training
    Kcal: 218
    Fat burn: 25 %

Friday, 25.1.19:
    Bodyweight & kettlebell (measured with chest strap):
    Time: 0:27
    Max HR: 185
    Average HR: 146
    Training benefit: Maximum training
    Kcal: 248
    Fat burn: 24 %

axelb and Mitch like this.
  8. Nachi

Tuesday 29.1.19:

The dojo was finally ok enough to train in, despite changing rooms furniture being still moved to somewhere etc.

Kids class:
    I had three regulars, and two siblings, new ones. They both did Shotokan for a few years, but only just returned from Serbia and found this dojo. Their parents wanted to watch the class, so I invited them in. We did some games, turning the other person onthe floor, practised tsuki, mae geri. Maybe the kids were quieter than usual because of the parent in or something, but I think the class went really well. Except for the older new girl going to cry to her daddy in the middle of class. I was explained she is a perfectionist with great ambition and doesn't take well when she can't do something and some of the things were new or unusual to her compared to her previous style or dojo. But she then continued with class and seemed like she was enjoying it, so hopefully, she will do better as I hope they will come again. I actually learned the dad did Shotokan, too, so I invited him to our adults class. In the end he watched a part as he didn't have any suitable clothes with him, anyway, but hopefully he'll join us next time :)

Karate adults:
    I was a little worried sensei won't arrive, but luckily he did. It was a traditional class that I enjoy.
    - Junbi Undo finished with 1é Neko Undo
    - Hojo Undo (only kongoken, makiwara, chi ishi). Still, kongoken was pretty tough now, maybe as I got weaker, but at least partly as my arms were weak already fromt he neko undo.
    - Sanchin kata 3x - I wasn't able to feel it today and I did many mistakes. When sesei told us to focus on strong and long breathing for the last kata, I did even worse than before and it felt like I just have no space for the air. No good.
    - Kakie, along with Shisochin bunkai, which specifics I forgot. It was great, sesnei did that for the two of us as a preparation for our black belt training. I need to really start training properly.

Polar results:
    Time: 2:59
    Max HR: 175
    Average HR: 122
    Kcal: 1145

Today, Thursday, there is a 108 Gekisai Dai Ichi training, but I had stuff to do and due to work I won't make it today.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That is a real bummer about the school flooding. Is the cost of damages covered by any insurance?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's not just me then! I love kettlebells, but if I stop using them for a while, the first session back gives me the most wicked DOMS. Days off grief! After that I'm ok, but the days after that first session? Oof!

11. Nachi

It is. I didn't have a chance to speak to sensei about it, yet, but from what I heard, it was most likely all taken care of by the city, from which the dojo is rented. Luckily. They took care of all the repairs, so they were done rather quickly, too.

12. Nachi

Yes, exactly! :D I was fine after the second session, too. I wanted to do one today, but had some additional work to do, unfortunately.
    Maybe.... it is because you overdo it from the start :D The logical way would be to ease back into it, but... that is easier said than done, I fully understand. :)

Mitch likes this.
  13. Nachi

Tuesday 5.2.19

Kids karate:
    Only a couple of kids came. I talked a bit about some theory and history of our karate. Had them fight to untie the other's belts for a warm-up and well, since I talked a lot, I did a very very fast stretching before we moved onto kata. We practised it always in a different way, sort of, which took the rest of the class. Although one kid was a boy who seriously has too much energy and tends to fool around, he didn't at all today, so the class went well.

Karate adults:
    Sensei showed up, but appologized he had to go somewhere, but will be back. Unfortunately today there were two guys who came for the first time to try. So we quickly thought up some program. I started with some basic footwork exercises, then for a proper warm-up I argued out a "Scotch 5" - 5 rounds of: 5 push-ups, 5 squats, 5 V-ups, 5 burpees and 5 crunches. And I led the Junbi Undo.
    After that it was Sett's turn, and we thought about using a heavy bag and laps, both big ans small and do a round of exercises in pairs. We wanted to hang the bag, but we couldn't find the ladder that we needed to do that. But... one of the newcoming guys was pretty tall, almost to the point where he could reach without a ladder! He was able to hang the first half tiptoeing and we gave him another bag to step on and it all worked nice. In the end, ma and Sett didn't participate in the exercises since th enew guys wouldn't know what to do, so we went around helping them and others. For a round of copying tecniques form one partner, we partnered up with them.
    Then we did some basic techniques and partner drills - simple strikes and blocks, when sensei arrived. He had us practise some kicks. My torn hamstring is getting better, but still not good enough for proper kicking. I kick up to the hip height and in a rather controlled manner as a recless kick still gives me a pinch and a throb in the injured spot. Dang. it is exactly two months today. I expected it would have gone away by now.
    For a while towards the end sensei proposed some iron body conditioning, only two forearm strikes, both at least with two different partners. I partnered with both the new ones, too. One was going at it pretty good! When we finished, sensei had us do a pyramid of push-ups: first partner does 10, the other does 9, first one 8 etc. By this time my newbie partner seemed pretty done, but he fought and did it even if on his knees.
    I hope to see them bot around! We don't have enough men in the dojo honestly :D

No Polar results, I lent the chest strap to someone else to try. But I felt good after today's training. Finally some exercise :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Travess likes this.
  14. Nachi

Wednesday:

A bit of bodyweight, but mostly kettlebell training at home (16 kg kettlebell - swings, lunges, goblet squats, single leg romanian deadlifts, clean&jerks, windmills, shoulder presses and whatnot).

Polar results:
    Time: 0:25
    Max HR: 183
    Average HR: 151
    Training benefit: Steady State and Tempo training
    Kcal: 237
    Fat burn: 22 %

I had a nice training, feeling nicely spent afterwards ^^

15. Nachi

Thursday

Karate training:

- Junbi Undo and Kihon
    - Exercises with yoko uke - solo - footwork, yoko uke and some technique usually
    - Combinations with yoko uke in pairs
    - 25ish minutes kata and bunkai practise (the kata for our next grading - Shisochin for me). I have a hard time remembering the bunkai as I haven't practised them in a while, but sensei helped me wiht that. Trying them solo as we did is all the harder....

Still didn't have my chest strap, so no results, but it was pretty much an average karate class :)

Also I finally started itching to go to crossfit as my leg is fine for most things I could do there. A could probably make it on Monday - not much time tommorrow and on Saturday we have a karate seminar, so I don't want to go there sore all over :D

axelb likes this.
  16. Nachi

Saturday 9.2.

National karate seminar in Prague:

Sensei organized a seminar, which however wasn't advertise in much of an advance, so only around 15 people arrived, but... all the better for us who did :D
    The seminar took place from 10 AM to 2 PM, with a short break after each hour, which marked the end of a block.

- Warm-up was a lot of running wall to wall in teams of three when one always runs from one to another, with something in between (like lying down or rotating etc)
    - Junbi Undo - stretching, some techniques, too, I think; also a burpee game -> quite a few burpees
    - Next hour we had a sensei from south Bohemia. We went through Shisochin and most of its bunkai, which was great. Got several corrections. There is a lot I need to work on with this.
    - Then I am not sure if it was for the whole hour, but we did some kicking kihon ido (mae geri + kizami and gyaku tsuki; mawashi geri + uraken uchi and gyaku tsuki+ yoko geri, ushiro geri and gyaku tsuki), then we did those in pairs. I was paired with hour... well, maybe former dojo sensei, who teaches at the faculty this semester. I swear I always try to act respectful to him as he is a sensei, but all my trying fails the moment he speaks, as it is surely some provocation or stuff like that, so we basically ended up beating each other as we could... XD
    - After we practised Gekisai Dai Ichi oyo bunkai in groups of five - by this point there were only 10 of us + our sensei teaching, which was fun. The only not fun thing was my leg still giving me some slight trouble at stuff like burpees or kicks. Or making trouble by myself by trying to kick butt of our insanely tall sensei who was in the other group and decided to surprise butt strike me or something. Well, I did try to back kick him, but he, obviously, caught my leg, which stretched my hamstring and the sudden, not too terrible but sharp pain caused me to bring my standing leg closer to the kicking one and summed up I ended up approaching the floor head first....
    - Then there was 20 or so minutes for our favourite kata practise, so I picked Shisochin. The three senseis were going around correcting. I got new corrections, but well, they are getting more and more abstract or seemingly contradicting the previous ones sometimes... A lot of practise needed.
    - Lastly we practised some Renzoku kumite

After lunch there was an official association meeting. Also our other dojo's sensei came to visit us with her newborn! :)

Polar results:
    Time: 4:03
    Max HR: 175
    Average HR: 126
    Kcal: 1677
    Fat burn: 35 %

axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

Tuesday 12.2.

Karate:

Most kids have holiday this week so kids classes and well, all the classes were cancelled, except for a training sensei announced for today, an hour later than normal. Well, there were only sensei and us two first kyus.... Therefore sensei announced (as he kind of forsaw that), that today's training will be cut for himas his goal is to "not be able to move tommorrow", which sounded like a lot of pain for me :D
    We did Junbi Undo, then all the kata I know including the two Sanchin versions, slowly. After we went to do hojo undo. Sensei wanted us to do all the exercises we know starting with kongoken. The idea was that sensei will start, do a specific exercise for a number he picks - like 30, then we do the same (though I don't have to do 30, of course), second round with 20 reps and third round with 10 for example. He did the presses. I actually managed to do 30, too, BUT... I kind of learned to do them easy - like a push-press, instead of a strict press with a sumo squat - meaning I use my legs a lot to do them => a lot easier. No one actually told me specifically to not use them, although I kind of have a feeling I shouldn't. Well, sensei noticed, looked suprised, knelt to my foot and tried holding it down on the floor. Which, unfrtunately, just about signaled the end of my reps XD. It was sooo much harder! Well, just about as the difference between a push press and a strict press. Too bad :/

Then we did the wheel sort of, I did 20, then 14 and 8 reps. Just about now sensei got a call from our friend that she invited a couple of her colleagues to the self defence class that starts at 8 in a school nearby. But was cancelled today... So sensei did not expect them. He said they could come here. But after a while he got another call, as the girls didn't have a car so he went to pick them up. In the manwhile we did more kongoken exercises - squats with the other person adding their weight on the kongoken, push-ups etc. Then we did Miyagi's gardern with the stones and a Nigiri Game kata. When sensei arrived, he paid attention to the women and always gave us a part of Shisochin (or Seiyunchin) kata to practise several times. At the end we did Sanchin while having the feet pulled apart. It turned out to be quite a long training...

Polar results:
    Time: 2:31
    Average HR: 115
    Kcal: 862
    Fat burn: 40 %

18. Nachi

Wednesday 13.2.19

Monday I had a bit of a stomach ache, so I postponed it again, but today, I finally had no excuse for myself to not go to crossfit :D I really need to start going again to get back in shape and to prepare for my black belt grading in summer, hopefully.

CrossFit:

I met some familiar faces who noticed they haven't seen me in a while. I was a bit worried about how I'd do. I was going to take it easy, but still. CrossFit is kind of hard to take really easy :D

- 4 laps around gym for warm-up
    - stretching
    - Stretching with a bar for front squats
    - Front squats - do set of 5 and find something like a 90% of your max (I would guess a max for 5 reps, but who knows). When I did find a weight I felt to be on th borderline of comfortable and not - 50 kg, I did 2 sets of five when we did three more sets every couple of minutes. I could probably go heavier, but I was taking it easy and it definitely worked m out enough :D And my wrists that haven't hurt me for a long time started hurting just form this...

- Then we went straights to WoD, which was:
    - 3 rounds of (with a time cap of 14 mins):

- 12 burpees over bar
    - 9 sumo high pulls (Rx 30 kg for women)
    - 9 thrusters (-II-)
    - 6 chest to bars (or 3 muscle-ups) - yeah, right, I took my thick rubber band and wouldn't let go :D

Well, when thinking of which cf exercises would still be uncomfortable for my hamstring, I could only think of sprints, burpees and probably some big jumping. And burpees were there right away. So I approached the instructor and told him. He thought about a replacement exercise for me and came up with 30 air squats instead of 12 burpees. Which seemed good to me - like any number of squats is probably going to be easier than burpees :D Although with all the squats before and thrusters right there, too, they weren't incredibly easy, either. And some guys did their burpees faster than my squats, so I guess it was fair.
    High pulls pulled on my hamstring, too, but only a tiny bit and mostly just in the first rep. The thrusters were difficult and heavy and terrible as usual, so I took breaks even in between in the last two rounds. I did finish at 12:07, which wasn't a very good time, but I seriously took it easy, especially the end when I knew I had enough time to finish.

Nice training. I was glad I went. I think today's class wasn't a particularly difficult one according to my experience, which I definitely appreciated :)
    ..I am also glad I did those 3 kettlebell crossfit-preparatory exercise sessions at home :D

Polar results:
    Time: 1:04
    Max HR: 186
    Average HR: 139
    Training benefit: Tempo & Maximum training
    Kcal: 536
    Fat burn: 26 %

axelb likes this.
  19. Nachi

Monday 18.2.

Due to holiday, there was no training on Thursday. I was planning to go to CF on Friday, but.... my legs hurt for three days since the previous one, so... I decided to skip XD

And went today.

CrossFit:

- Warm-up:
    - 3 minutes of rowing, interrupted by 3 burpees each time we burned 5 kcal (I burned 20 altogether)
    - Duck walk for... 25 meters? The second time with a 5 kg disc held overhead. And probably a slightly shorter distance. Some stretching for strict pressis with a bar, and kips on the horizontal bar.

- Stretching

-Stretching, preparatory exercises and trials with only bar - for power snatches.
    The goal was to try 1 RM, but for me and others we practised technique. The coach only slightly adjusted my starting posture and wow, only tiny changes really improved to technique towards what I was supposed to do. I still struggle a lot with the hip movement or whatever that would help me with the spead at the right moment. Soem said, sure, this hip movement is really more natural for guys. Yeah, hahaha, but after witnessing what it can also do to guys when they aren't careful later on... I think I am fine with working hard on my technique :D
    Ehm, anyway... we were then lower the max weight to 80% and do 5x1. Since I worked with 30 kg constantly, and did not go for the max, I kept the 30 kg. My max, when I last did it was 35 kg as well as the women written on the board, so it may have been appropriate.

- WoD:
    - 30, then 20 and 10 of: front squats (25 kg for women) and chest to bars (which I did with a thick band). Miraculously, I finished first. Although the other guys did strict chest to bars. But I got a head start by not taking a break in the first round of squats, so by the time they got to the horizontal bar, I already had 10 reps. I finished at 9:47. I am not sure, but may have been the only one in our group as the time cap was 10:00. I just found a tempo so I can get comfortable breaks between the pull-ups and still make it in time :D

This didn't feel like a particularly difficult class, compared to how I remember them. that said, I will probably have some slight DOMs tommorrow.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:07
    Max HR: 182
    Average HR: 139
    Training benefit: Maximum training
    Kcal: 563
    Fat burn: 27 %

20. Nachi

Tuesday 19.2.

Karate kids:

I expected only a few, but out of nowhere, there were suddenly 8! One boy was new, also a Russian, luckily this one spoke Czech. Or at least he claimed to, but actually never really spoke it and he really had trouble following even the very simple instructions. But when the two other Russian speaking boys took to explaining to him, it was no better. There were also the new siblings who used to do Shotokan. The younger boy was a bit troublesome, as he was shouting and doing stupid stuff along with the two aforementioned "Russians". So this class was a bit hard for me. On the other hand, the older girl, the other sibling, was a bit shy the first time and went crying to her dad as this karate was a bit different and she got herself stressed that she isn't good enough in it or something along those lines. There was nothing of that today at all. She kept smiling throughout the class and the stuff that scared her last time, she actively participated in, so I was really happy about that. I talked to their dad after class. He himself might join the classes later as he's busy now, but the kids liked it. They offered to visit a Shotokan club nearby, which is a large one with probably a reputable sensei, I think? I hope I am not mistaken. However, in the end the kids decided they didn't even want to try as their classes are geared towards competition and they read reviews that the student there are pressured for results etc. And they liked our trial classes and want to stay, even if they have to learn a new style. Which is awesome :)

We practised tsuki and hia geri, and did some work-out in between. I feel like every other class there is like one or tow new students, so I am stuck with teaching the basics again and again all the time.

Karate adults:
    Warm-up with a game of tag, Junbi Undo
    - Practising San Dan Gi Ichi and 3 varieties of defence (with gyaku tsuki, double harai uke as in Seiyunchin kata and the whole thing open handed). When going full power, although solo, I sweated a bit and didn't really welcome the 50 push-ups which followed. But we had time till the other group finish, so I certainly did not rush them. Then we briefly practised Renzoku Kumite - the attacking part followed by 20 burpees. I was careful with my hurt hamstring as when I forget and dive for a burpee it tends to hurt sharply. But after three or so, I tried normally, although carefully, and it seemed to work! I kind of feel like my first class of crossfit last week somehow helped this. I still can't stretch towards the leg very well, but it gets better and better! :)
    - Then in pairs we practised some combination - each starting with an appropriate block, followed by tsuki mostly to the ribs, and then either mawashi geris or a hiza geri or elbow and choke. I had to leave earlier today, so this was the time. Sensei leaves earlier on Tuesdays, too, so I didn't actually miss out on anything (other than being the attacking part for the same combination, which only involved tsuki).
    I sweated quite a bit today, it was a good class :)

Polar results:
    Time: 2:35
    Average HR: 118
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training, long
    Kcal: 925

axelb likes this.