Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sunday 9.9.18:

A trip not far from Prague - 15 km long walk:

Polar results:
    Time: 3:13
    Distance: 15 kkm
    Average HR: 125
    Max HR: 166
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 1349
    Fat burn: 45 %

axelb likes this.
  2. Nachi

Tuesday 11.9.

The dojo is... more or less finished. At least enough for classes which restarted this week. I will be teaching the Tuesday kids class (alone this year). The adult trainings will be again 2 hours long, on Tuesday and Thursday, taught by our only active sensei remaining. I will try to go to the faculty trainings as usual as soon as semester starts, which will be taught by a sensei who hasn't taught karate for a while, at least not in our dojo.

Karate kids (1 hour):
    I was wondering whether a lot of people, or only a few will come today (the classes and times were only announced last week, so...). In the end, only five arrived, one of which was a newcomer. They were loud as usual, but manageable in such a small number. We went through some theory (what is the name of our style and what it means, what is the symbol of our style and what it means), none of which surprisingly anyone knew... So we'll have to review that a bit more often. After a fun warm-up we did a long stretching/Junbi Undo to get into it. Then practised tsuki and sideways movements, and combinations of that, a short game at the end. A little work-out here and there.

Karate adults (2 hours).
    - Junbi Undo
    - 10-9-8-...-1 push-ups
    - San Dan Gi Ichi
    - 1 st bunkai of Gekisai Dai Ichi, more variations, several exercising, then against a hook, with one more counter, than that with people attacking form 4 sides.
    - 50 gyaku tsuki (per side) to the pads. I was paired with sensei and thought this will shake my brain a little :D It isn't very comfortable to hold the pad for sensei, especially for my chest. When it was, however, sensei's turn, I noticed he didn't hold the pad against his chest (which I think is usually best for the striking person), but against his shoulder, which, if done well, must be much comfortable, so I took a note to see the exact way he was holding it :oops:
    - Gekisai Dai Ichi kata twice

My legs aren't used to shiko-dachi anymore :D I think it was a bit more uncomfortable than usual, today :D Also San Dan Gi Ichi felt weird, too. I didn't do any karate im more than a couple of months, after all.

Forgot my chest strap, no polar results.

axelb and Travess like this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Glad to see you back in the dojo - The best medicine for you, if your 1st Dan is still on the cards for cards next year.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  4. Nachi

Yep, thanks :) It is, still planned for the next summer (good memory, btw!) :)
    Sensei actually said we will work on that and another sensei from a sister dojo is just organizing weekend trainings once a month in Prague or their city for anyone brown-belt up! So everything looks good! :)

Travess likes this.
  5. Travess

That is fantastic, and just the support structure that any senior student would benefit from.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  6. Nachi

Exactly, it is great ^^ Especially since our organization doesn't have that many brownbelts, and most of the blackbelts are sensei-level, so we should learn a lot! Working on advanced kata among other things :)

Travess likes this.
  7. Nachi

Wednesday 12.9.

CrossFit:

- Warm-up: cca 800 m run
    - Stretching

- Skill practise: Snatch complex:
    8x high pull + high pull + squat snatch + snatch balance - I did 3 sets with 20 kg and 5 with 25. It was mostly about technique. I wanted to try 30, but I didn't realize I was doing the last round :D I stil can't pull the barbell close enough to my body and use hips to help kick it off. I am constantly being told to do that by everyone, but can't get it right :D At the last set today, I managed a bit!!! ^^

- 4 rounds of:
    - 6 back squats (35, 40, 50, 50 kg each round respectively) - 2 seconds (slowly) down, quickly up
    - 12 box jumps - a bit higher than usual, I got a cca 60 cm box (usually do 50 cm)
    - 60 to 90 s rest

- WoD:
    - 21, 15 and 9 reps of:
    - Deadlift (40 kg Rx for women)
    - Pull-ups (used the black band)
    - Sit ups

Deadlifts weren't hard, although I haven't done them properly in a while. Did them without break, except one short in the middle (15) round. Pull-ups were what held me back as I usually did 5 at most and was getting only worse as time progresses. Regular sit-ups were then a breeze. Finished at 7:07 which wasn't a great time compared to the two guys in the morning, but from our group of 3 I finished first.

Today's class didn't feel cardio heavy at all, it was more about weights. Despite that(!) I had the highest max HR in a while :/ I really don't understand this anymore, it didn't feel like I got to any particularly high HR. I reached it in the last round of the WoD, apparently.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:03
    Max HR: 184
    Average HR: 146
    Training benefit: Tempo & Maximum training
    Kcal: 584
    Fat burn: 23 %

axelb likes this.
  8. Nachi

Thursday 13.9.

Karate (2 hours):
    ...although I came a few minutes late, just in the middle of Junbi Undo.
    We did mostly basic techniques and some combinations in pairs. Later we focused for quite a long time on Gekisai Dai Ichi bunkai, did several exercises with them (all in one go in pairs, solo to various sides, everyone attacks one person in the middle, the same with some techniques added, everyone stand in line and attack the one defender and so on). A few push-ups between exercises.
    Can't remember if there was something more... It is possible.
    It was a training more on the relaxed side :)

Polar results:
    Time: 2:06
    Max HR: 154
    Average HR: 101
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 507
    Fat burn: 52 %

Friday - planned crossfit, but I don't sleep very much lately and last night I did even less, so... instead of crossfit, I couldn't help but go for an afternoon nap instead :oops:

9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Nothing wrong with a nap when you lacked sleep. :)
    I try to do this more recently, as I often sleep 6-7 hours a night at best with interruptions; at least 2 times a week, I have 30-60 min nap in the day.

Especially if I feel aches, sniffs and soreness, then after I feel a lot better! I have been a lot less ill this year also, so I think taking the needed nap helped that.
    In the past I used to mask it with caffeine, but it just catches up eventually.

Nachi likes this.
  10. Nachi

I suppose ^^ Yeah, I sleep 6-7 hours for several weeks now and when I slept only 5 for Friday, it was already too much :D Or rather, to little to bear :D

11. Nachi

Monday 17.9.

CrossFit:
    - WU: cca 800 m run, 10 down-ups, 10 ground-to-overheads with 14 lbs ball - 2 rounds (there was supposed to be only one when the coach changed the run for this long, so the second was a very unpleasant surprise when we thought we were done :mad:)

- stretching

- 12 min EMOM - alternating:
    - 3 snatches - increasing weight (1x 20 kg, 2x 25 kg, 3x 30 kg for me)
    - 6 burpees over bar (facing the barbell)

- 6 rounds of:
    - 5 front squats (we should have been increasing weight up to 80% of our max, but today for some reason I found the squats harder, so I only went from 35 to 45 kg.)
    - 10 sumo kettlebell high pulls (3 rounds 16 kg kettlebell, then was sent to get a 20 kg one) - it wasn't as hard as it looked

- WoD: 10-min AMRAP:

- 2 - 4 - 6 - 8.... adding reps of:
    - push-ups
    - toes-to-bars (oh no!)
    - box jumps

- I finished the 12 rep round and did 14 push-ups and 8 more ttbs (although I did the scaled down version of only knees to chests basically, my grip getting weaker and weaker with each round)

Polar results:
    Time: 1:14
    Max HR: 180
    Average HR: 151
    Training benefit: Tempo training+
    Kcal: 720
    Fat burn: 20 %

12. Nachi

Tuesday 18.9.

Karate Kids:
    Only 6 kids today, not many are coming in general, I wonder if it'll be better. We practised age uke and tsuki, some stepping sideways, all things combined and eventually putting them together in the first bunkai. There are girsls who would like to grade in December and need to learn them.

Karate adults:
    After Junbi Undo we started practising in pairs sequences from Renzoku kumite, which was to be the main focus for today. After that, I had to go out for like three minutes to take care of something, while the rest went through the whole Renzoku themselves. When I returned, sensei called out one young yellow belt to show renzoku kumite by himself, but he couldn't remember. Sensei asked him to pick a partner who could help him, but "hey you" didn't work, so he had to pick someone he knows by name. Which apparently only left him with the option to pick another guy who really didn't remember. Until someone whispered to him my name. I was trying to be invisible, since I didn't even try Renzoku for like three months and didn't have the three minutes just now to try! I was like: Hell, I don't remember, either! I actually remembered somewhat, of course, but... for the first try it wasn't good that I had to show with someone lost as I usually have a tendency to switch between the attacking and defending side, especially if I go slowly, like just now. So of course, I messed up two times in a row. Awww, how embarassing! XD Then we practised solo and I did ok even when we took turns to stand in front of everyone and counting. Still: Shame on me XD
    We spent the last 40 minutes going through our kata - in groups by grades. We covered up till Seiyunchin, towards the end went through bunkai for Saifa nad Seiyunchin. I am quite rusty with some kata, I have to say :oops:

Pretty relaxed class otherwise:

Polar results:
    Time: 2:50
    Max HR: 142
    Average HR: 108
    Kcal: 835
    Fat burn: 49 %

axelb likes this.
  13. Travess

Good job you're thinking about grading to black belt soon! :p

20180919_133525.png

Messing up is part of the journey, messing in front of those that look to you for help and inspiration, just plain sucks!

Travess

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Aw that does suck!
    That reminds me of my kungfu teaching days and being asked by students to help with wushu forms which were recently added :oops:o_O
    Wushu was not my speciality so I had to spend a lot of extra time getting up to speed with the forms to save further embarrassment.

15. Nachi

Oh, you! :mad::mad::mad:

Hey, guys, anyone living near Travess? I need to deliver a kick! :mad: A good one! :D

Travess likes this.
  16. Nachi

Wow, that sucks! :D Luckily our style doesn't have that many kata XD I can still mess them up, though! :D

axelb likes this.
  17. Travess

Good job you're asking someone else to land it then!!! ;)

(Deletes account, and goes in to hiding...)

Travess

axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

Thursday:

Karate (2 hours):

- Junbi Undo
    - Sanchin kata 1x
    - Hojo Undo for the first hour. The usual stuff. The higher grades were told to pair with the lower grades. I picked a guy near me, a youngster, who was messing up my kids classes until last year. Now came the time for revenge! Muhehehehe :D Well, he saw it coming since the classes started, today was a great opportunity! He's actually doing this karate longer than me, but because he slacks off, like... a lot, his technique is generally pretty bad. He isn't very tiny, but puts no force into anything, usually doesn't even close his fists properly, and is totally scared of contact, so I basically, unintentionally chased him into a corner during partner drills where we were practising distances and kicking mae geri into out partners stomach. Very soft kicks, though, I wouldn't do much more than touch him, but he still always jumped back, arms defending his body, making sure I won't even come close :/ He totally needs to change his attitude now in the adult class.
    He was doing much better today, though! He does have some strenght when he wants. I tried to fix his strange and uncomfortably-looking shiko-dachi across multiple exercises, but that was to no avail. I pretty much sort of bossed him around all the time (more or less in a friendly way). The one thing that really made me angry, when we went to the belly work-out station. I asked him if he wanted o do his own exercises there or do mine with me. He definitely wanted to do mine, but when I told him feet up on the wallbars and do just the short type of sit-ups first (100), he grabbed his pants and used his arms to move himself up since sit-up one. :mad: Then, when I wanted us to do the same, but all the way up, 50 x, I basically took breaks all the time to smack his arms to let go. XD With little success, though. At least I got to beat him a little :D
    - We did some techniques or combinations in between the stations. Today, it was sensei's 39th birthday, so we did everything 39x. Also, his wife wanted to throw a surprise party for him. I brought some drinks, but couldn't get them to the fridge as sensei was standing nearby before the training started. Now, when sensei was at the belly station and I was on one of the makiwaras near the entrance to the gym, I asked Sett who was just carrying stones back and forth to check on sensei and I slipped out to get the drinks. Sensei had no idea even after I told him later. So: mission accomplished! :D

- Sanchin kata 1x with a bit of Sanchin Shime from sensei
    - Some combinations and running as changing positions in groups of three
    - Then sensei wanted each one of us to show one kata to the others, before he leaves soon. After a while, though, he got a phone call from our other sensei, who's job was to lure sensei out of the dojo so we can prepare the party. This sensei actually manages a par/children playground around the corner from the dojo. His excuse to luring sensei out was that he had a couple of teenage gangs there beating the hell out of each other :D Seriously? Well, the problem was our sensei in the dojo told us: Hey, there are kids fighting, lets go split them everyone XD Great :D :D :D So we went and the plotting sensei sent us back just saying he only needs our sensei after the gangs ran away (yeah, not suspicious at all) XD So we ran back to the dojo to prepare the party. It went well in the end, although sensei didn¨t know we were in the main room and went to shower first instead. And he probably realised what was happening as Sett apparently didn't shower (unusual) and maybe that we also had our bikes in front of the dojo, still :D But otherwise, he didn't expect anything, it seemed :) So we celebrated until later evening.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:32
    Max HR: 164
    Kcal: 575
    Fat burn: 39 %

Jaydub, axelb and Travess like this.
  19. Nachi

Wow, you better prey we never meet in person! You, you...! :mad::mad::mad:
    :D

20. Nachi

Saturday:

- Last weekend I went with my dad to our cottage and since everyone is posting pictures of baskets full of mushrooms from everywhere, and the best mushroom time is coming, we went to the forest, but... in an our stambled acroos just a couple of mushrooms, and inedible ones, at that :mad:
    - But! Sett's parents were reporting mushrooms everywhere at their cottage, soooo.... we went mushroom hunting there! :D Sure enough, the forests were full of mushrooms and all the delicious and easy-to-process boletes(?) - apparently that is the English name. Looks like it was heavily inspired by Latin :D Anyway a couple of visits to two different forests brought me like two big boxes of mushrooms to bring home and share with my parents, too. My mum made my favourite mushroom sauce with beef and potatoes, I dined mushrooms on caraway, prepared some mushrooms and froze them to make a traditional mushroom soup for the net week, we dried the rest to store for the upcoming year and my mum gave a few to my grandparents, too. :)
    I love mushrooms!
    Anyway, the mushroom hunting meant quite a long walking in teh forests (time-wise), although pretty slowly. And carrying the heavier and heavier basket helped me burn some calories, too, I bet! :)

Morning mushroon hunting:
    Time: 1:49
    Estimated distance: 4 km (mushrooms everywhere)
    Max HR: 129
    Kcal: 541
    Fat burn: 55 %

Morning mushroon hunting:
    Time: 2:59
    Estimated distance: 9 km (mushrooms a bit more scarce, we actually had to look for them)
    Max HR: 139
    Average HR: 105
    Kcal: 815
    Fat burn: 58 %

Nice training results, I'd say! :D I fulfilled my Polar daily activity goal by 199% :)

axelb likes this.