Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Oh, no, I don't have this even in my App, I have A370... It looks cool, but probably a feature I can do without. Still, I didn't know there was a function like that!

As an update: My rest day has turned into a rest week. I wasn't feeling well enough to do any sort of exercise, except for a nearly an hour walk aiming for one shop and pharmacy :D Sensei also called to check up on me and to find some things, so I got to appologize to him personally, that unfortunately I will have to miss the seminar :( I am sad I missed it, I heard it was physically quite engaging and fun, the type of seminar I would enjoy, but not now. I am glad I decided not to go, it wouldn't be fun like that. I did an hour and a half long walk instead and that was more than enough. My temperature is almost ok, headaches better, but I started coughing and since I talked with some people yesterday, like I thought, I lost my voice completely today :( I planned to start exercising again on Monday, but.... it probably won't be the case.
    On the other hand I had more time for resting and I well, it was actually ice to just lie down and not stress over things and to actually read or doing some relaxing stuff like that. I haven't in a while! So it is not all that bad :) And I'll try to catch up with some of my drawing projects, too. If only at least one of my tablets worked... :(

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Sounds like you are doing the right thing though Nachi - As they say in music 'play the pauses' - Continue to make the most of your downtime, and you should be back to your 'old' fighting fit self again in no time.

Travess

Nachi and axelb like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

The rest will do you some good :)

Nachi likes this.
  4. Nachi

Thank you guys :) I actually enjoyed just doing nothing for a change :D

But now it's been enough and I was itching for some activity. My voice gets better quickly, it is now only affected a little, I still have cough and runny nose, but that's about it. To ease into stuff I thought I'd try something easy or something I can control the pace of well. Tuesdays karate trainings are usually not hard on the fitness side, but I am kind of feeling down and decided to do something outside to cheer myself up and clear my head. So I took out my bicycle :) I planned a trip to a pond and back. I had similar pace like last time, but at any tiny hill, my heart rate jumped up pretty quick and kept being quite high throughout, so I was breathing more heavily than I'd like (which was probably to be expected), but not like muscle-tired, so it was ok and I enjoyed myself. :) Not sure about tommorrow's crossfit, though. I'll either tell the instructor I am taking it easy or I won't go. Breathing harder than normally could take all the air out of me there :D I'll see tommorrow.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:48 (just the riding time without breaks)
    Distance: 30,07 km
    Max HR: 171 (I went close to that every single tiny hill)
    Average HR: 148
    Training benefit: Tempo training +
    Kcal: 1106
    Fat burn: 32 %

I guess I didn't take it all that easy (or maybe it looks like this because I am still not perfectly healthy?), but I enjoyed the ride very much and feel well afterwards, so I suppose it was a good idea :)

As an interesting fact, after the week of doing nothing, I progressively became less and less hungry and needed to eat less and less often. I guess the exercising has a really noticeable effect on appetite! :)

Didn't count calories today, sleep around 6,5 hours.

axelb likes this.
  5. Travess

Sounds like you are in the same 'boat' that I had been in - Physical exertion is causing your heart-rate to spike, (possibly quicker than usual) and your breathing is unusually heavy, compared to what your workload would suggest, but your body (muscles) do not appear to be feeling the same strain?

Took me 10 days, before I started to notice an improvement (but I am in my mid-40's) so don't rush it, keep doing what you are doing, and I'm sure you'll set yourself right soon enough.

Travess

axelb and Nachi like this.
  6. Nachi

Oh, you described it perfectly!
    What, 10 days?! Don't scare me! :eek: I don't wanna wait that long, aaaah -_-

I'm glad you're ok now though! :)

Travess likes this.
  7. Travess

You seem to have made better use of your rest than I did, so I am sure, with the benefit of youth, that you will make a speedier recovery.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  8. Nachi

Thursday 24.5. 2018

Karate day today whether I wanted to or not as I have the kids class there (although I wanted to anyway :) )

Karate Kids:
    Terrible traffic again, so I arrived 15 mins late. Just as my friend and co-teacher there was doing Junbi Undo. I joined in and after was about to take the class as usual and she proposed we could do a combination and exercises they did on the Saturdays seminar. Sounds good and I can relax more for once :D I exercised only a little with the kids, did a partner to a kid who didn't have a partner, then I paired up with an injured kid who couldn't hold the pad, so I was could be the holder the whole time. At the end I was asked to do a short work-out which I did.

Karate adults:
    Just before the kids class I got a call from sensei as he promised to give me some info about an event and karate classes in the weekend he organizes at his school. Before ending the call I asked if he was coming normaly today, when there was suddenly a short silence: "Actuallyyy...." Ok, so I told him we'll start the class and think of some program until sensei comes.
    We led the class with my boyfriend - we are both assistng with teaching there and are the highest grades now except for senseis. I took the warm-up with yet again the crossfit-stolen belly work-out since not everyone did it yet (although those who did were uttering some complaints and protests :D ):
    - 3 rounds of: 20 Russian twists with a stone, 30 knee-to-elbows - lying on the back, 10 V-ups
    - I was starting to cough a bit and my head was spinning a little occassionally (the before the storm-like weather) and my ear was ... hm, no idea about the English word for it and can't find it easily - in my ear, the kind of feeling like you have a water in it so you hear worse? Anyway, we couldn't decide who'll do the Junbi Undo so I asked my partner so that I can rest a bit ^^ After that we thought about going through some grading stuff, like kihon ido. Luckily, I took the syllabus with me (as I wanted to do something like that with the kids). After the Junbi Undo, my partner took the syllabus and continued through some kihon ido combinations and San Dan Gi Ichi and Ni practise,solo and in pairs. :) We didn't want to do anything that would have to take a long time to finish, as we didn't know when sensei will arrive. when half the training was over, I proposed I'd teach the next part so it is fair (there were and odd number of us so he didn't participate in the partner practise) and I didn't mind to relax a bit in his stead, either.
    We therefore switched, I started with simple practise of the step of the first ippon kumite combination (somethign that can be cut short when sensei comes) and sensei arrived! But, he stood in the door and watched. Which.... he doesn't usually do if he wants to join in, he'd go change. He watched for about a minute and then said he isn't coming today but will communicate with us stuff about the weekend tommorrow. :/ How nice of him! :D
    I did some short practise because of the beginners present and then we proceeded to practise the first three combinations solo, then in pairs. We still had like 25 mins left, so we moved onto the last two kicking combinations two (the ippon kumite for the first kick is same as the third one for a punch so we skipped that for time reasons)
    After some solo practise of some movements, I had the class partner up, for each combination one partner attacked 10 times for each side, then second partner, then each of them went full power for each side. Those were the three stages for practising each combination and in between each and between the solo practise I inserted one bodyweight exercise. I thought of some and on a whim decided I'll always think of a different one (which wasn't all that easy toward the end :D). These may not be all, but hopefully most of the exercises I managed to come up with:
    - 10 push-ups
    - 10 V-ups
    - 10 sumo squats
    - 10 crunches
    - 20 mountain climbers
    - 30 s glute bridges with one leg stuck up in line with the body for each side
    - 1 min wall sit
    - hold in a plank and put and hold for a sec an arm stretched horizontally forward - 10x for each arm
    - side plank and the turn to the floor sort of moving your arm toward your back, ugh, difficult to describe, then stretch it toward the ceiling, 10x per side
    - 30 s hollow hold
    - Lie down on the belly, hands, face and knees above floor and bend both knees (feet up) 10x
    - 40 calf raises per side - hands on the wall, feet a bit further from it, rest one foot on the other calf and do calf raises an that one foot
    - 40 dead bugs or something similar as I couldn't remember how those were done XD Now that I watch a video about them I was close :D I did the exercise similar to it we did at crossfit - that is hold a stone up in your hands and only stretch the legs out, one at a time, 20 per side
    - 10 those yoga-like exercises we did at crossfit, which is basically like a Neko-undo, only easier. Aaaah! I found the name! Hindu push-ups! :)
    - 5 Neko Undo (I suppose this is not a universally known exercise, and I finally found a video, so this!)

- 10 crossfit-style burpees jumping laterally over the legs of a partner who holds a plank, then switch places
    - 5 pistol squats, with one hand on the wall to make it easier and actually doable for most, me included. I forgot to say the heel should stay on the floor, though, I guess no one seemed to be able to do it like that, but well, at least I mentioned it at the end.

Hmm, those are probably nearly all the exercises we did in between. Toward the end some people made some really funny noises with some exercises :D The other, third brown belt present actually made sounds so terrible during the pistol squats, that I had to laugh and had trouble doing mine :D He apparently even cut his burpees short as he would say something along the lines, "Hm? It seems I can't do anymore" (he's also always training hard and really enjoys the karate, it's not like he'd just decide to rebel or soemthing, but still!) and proceeded to lie there, face to the floor. Oh, had I known that he actually cut them short! :eek:

One final kata of choice - Shisochin for me :)

Actually as much as I was coughing at the beginning and didn't feel all that great, I guess you just don't think too much about stuff when you teach and think about teaching :) I enjoyed myself in the end and now feel comfortably tired or worn out after the whole body exercising, but not overly, which is good! I could feel my heartbeat rising rapidly when it shouldn't so I had to breath hard where I normally wouldn't, but I seem to be better off than other people after the class, so I am considering crossfit tommorrow! Although that would be much harsher, I am worried about the cardio part :/
    Low battery in my Polar, so no HR data today. :(
    But I had fun :)

6 hours of sleep today, or less, need to catch up a bit again, I haven't slept as long as I'd like for the past few days.

axelb and Travess like this.
  9. Nachi

Friday 25.5.18

CrossFit:
    So I was still thinking I should go to CrossFit today, although my sore throat got worse, but only in the morning. A friend of mine said she may go in the morning, so I gave her a mission to find out what's on the program today :D She was nice and even took a picture of the whole class's program for me. It didn't seem too bad, no burpees, no running and not any similar hard cardio. There was rowing for a warm-up, 1000 m, ok, not too easy, but I could still go by my own pace and if I didn't feel like it, I'd do less. Those were my thoughts until I came to class and we found out the rowing machines were taken and the competitors were using them... So we were told to go run for 1 km outside :confused::mad: Such betrayal!
    So I reached my max HR for this class during that run for the warm-up already, although our pace really wasn't fast....
    Apparently the instructor caught my friend taking pictures of the program. She told me the instructor thinks I shouldn't push myseld after being ill and he apparently remembered so he asked if I was ok. I was, although it was probably a bit more tiring than usual.

- TGU: 3x for each side. I started first round with 12 kg, the next two I went with 16 kg.

- 10 min EMOM: odd minutes: 6 double kettlebell goblet squat (2x12 kg), even minutes: 30 s squat position hold with plate in outstretched arms (5 kg)
    - The more experienced girls took 2x16 kg. Instructor said go heavy, but I didn't hear him state a weight for women, so I was a bit surprised especially if one seemed to be a bit unhappy with how heavy it was :D Not that 2x12 kg was an extremely tough challenge, but I think it was alright. I wasn't sure how well I'd be able to get the 16 kg kettlebells in position and it seemed too hard for my liking.

- WOD:
    - 5 min AMRAP - pull-ups (as many as you manage in 5 mins). I took the black rubber band, but did them more strict rather than kipped. Did 40. About average score (people did between 26 and 88 reps as written on the board), but the black rubber band was well a pretty big cheat, I'd say. I am still really bad with pull-ups.

- 2 min rest

- then 4 rounds for time (time cap 13 mins):
    - 5 handstands push-ups
    - 10 toes to bars
    - 14 kettlebell snatches (12 kg)

I did a very scaled version - feet on the box instead of handstand for the push-ups, I started with knees to elbows but eventually pushed myself for toes-to-bars, although I didn't really touch the bar most of the times but tried to go close. The probelm is my grip on the bar and the kipping motion, neither of which I can do, so when I attempted these, I did them one at a time. As for the snatches, they are usually ok, but although I got new wrist bands to help me against the uncomfort, my right wrist was quite uncomfortable in the finishing position and the kettlebell pulled my wrist to bend back and it pulled at the front and was uncomfortable. I did a pained face for a brief moment, I think, so the instructor asked if I was ok. I said it is fine, just the wrist hurts, so he sort of urged me to take a smaller kettlebell, especially if I came after being ill (and I coughed quite a bit still O:) ) It felt like such a pity since this is one of the exercises I can do without great trouble (with 12 kg that is). So I took an 8 kg kettlebell, but kept the 12 kg one for left hand and each alternation I took the appropriate weight for each wrist. Finished at 9:58.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:03
    Max HR: 178 (running and 177 in the WOD)
    Average HR: 148 (I think normally this should be lower, especially with these type of exercises, I spent the vast majority of time equally in the 3rd and 4th HR zone)
    Training benefit: Tempo & Maximum training
    Kcal: 598
    Fat burn: 22 %

Around 6,5 h of sleep tonight, I need to force myself to go to bed early! :D

axelb and Jaydub like this.
  10. Nachi

Saturday 26.5.18

Sensei had the sport event at his school. We were asked to come help and just hang out, too. Unfortunately, there were really not too many people there, but some, mostly kids arrived for the karate training which we partly participated in and partly assisted.
    Sensei also wanted to make a technical training especially for us, but we were really hungry, so agreed to go eat first, but then, somehow... the karate didn't happen. It was a really hot day and we were kind of tired, too. We wanted to go check a kinball session. It was however mostly kids and not that that would be a problem, but there was a power yoga and pilates teacher from our dojo having a pilates session and she had like one person there, so we decided to go there instead. My first time trying out pilates. It was stretching and mostly core work-out and some compensation exercises or something like rehabilitation exercises for back, too. It was just a taste, nearly an hour long and not with the hardest exercises, of course. To work my belly properly, I did the hardest versions of exercises we were shown. And time from time glanced sideways where I was getting angry looks in return from my partner as he had his abs and neck sore from my Thursday's training and these exercises worked precisely that :D Other than that I think I did more or less ok, but the teacher told me to bend my elbows alightly in some exercises as she spotted some slight hypermobility there.
    The pilates class was nice and I think I could use these types of exercises. And they left me not tired, but energized just as the teacher promised. Too bad there are just too many things I would like to have more time for, but I don't...
    After that, we went to look how they play the kinball. Before I looked around, a friend handed me her dress and I was suddenly a part of a team, with little understanding of the game :D However, the rules didn't seem too hard and for us, who never played 'and I was like the only adult there), the game seemed rather simple, rule-wise. However, as I didn't get a chance to get familiar with the huge ball, when it was my time to serve, I did like I would at volleyball, and didn't tighten my arm enough, resulting in a pain and numb feeling in my elbow for a few minutes. Yeah, that was a very clever move! The elbow hurt me later in the night, but has gotten almost ok now in the morning.
    After kinball, we in the end didn't join the yoga class, but found ourselves a free table tennis table. I used to play a lot for fun many years ago, so it took time to get into it, but I had a lot of fun, although the ball was flying everywhere :D

My chest strap's battery didn't allow for recording trainings, but I was wearing my Polar watch for the table tennis at least and that alone made me complete the daily activity goal (which I have set for the hardest), so I guess I had a reason to be quite weary in the evening.

I slept around 7 hours.

Jaydub likes this.
  11. Nachi

Sunday 27.5.18

I again went to sensei's event today, however, I wanted to do some work, so only arrived before 3 pm when the self-defence was supposed to take place. However, kind of as expected, there were even less people today and no one came for this class. We at least tried petanque, although we fell out in the first round :D So we tried table tennis again. It was better than yesterday and I had fun. Then we did a match against our two senseis for 3 winning sets. Well, we lost 3-2, by just a few points, but it was all fun. Sensei had a nasty service which I failed to return several times, so when I had just enough about trying to return the strong and rotating ball back on the table which made me angry with myself, I went for a smash right from it, although it was quite low and actually succeeded! :D I wasn't lucky with too strong returns usually, but this went amazingly. I need to be happy about something since we lost, right? :D Oh, and I love table tennis! :)

I tried my Polar with new battery for it:
    Time: 0:45
    Max HR: 145
    Average HR: 113
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 245
    Fat burn: 46 %

Sensei also wanted to do a karate training with only us three assistants there, going through each of our kata once and then all its bunkai (Gekisai Dai Ichi, Gekisai Dai Ichi, Saifa, Seiyunchin, Shisochin). Kata first, then we made a circle with one person in the middle and attacking consecutively with bunkai in treir order, each bunkai once, then another round with more strenght. I still don't even remember the Shisochin bunkai very well, so I appreciated we got to practise.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:03
    Max HR: 146
    Average HR: 110
    Kcal: 324
    Fat burn: 48 %

Plenty of sleep today, nearly 9 hours! ^^ Although I was waking all the time, not sure if partly because of my hurt elbow - when I wanted to lift and adjust the arm, it did hurt quite a bit. But later in the day, I hardly ever feel any discomfort anymore, which is good :)

axelb and Jaydub like this.
  12. Nachi

Monday 28.5.18:

CrossFit:
    - Warm-up: 3 rounds of 10 air squats and 10 push-ups (I did them on my knees to preserve strenght as much as posible) and a shoulder mobility exercises with a rubber band. More like a work-out I'd say, but it was intended to get blood into hour shoulders so they are warmed up for what was to come.

The crossfit gym I go to decided to make weekly challenges that can be done anytime, but will be always the WoD on Mondays.
    It was announced, this week's challenge would be a Hero WoD - Murph. Work-out named in honor of the Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

"This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it "Body Armor". From here on it will be referred to as "Murph" in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is."

The rest of the time was left for the WoD itself:
    1 mile run
    100 pull-ups
    200 push-ups
    300 air squats
    1 mile run

The time cap was set to 50 minutes so we finished in the class. Meaning we can stop when the time passes, no matter how much we've done, or we can set our stopwatch and finish while the next class starts. Which was the option pretty much everyone went for, so the time limit was a bit arbitrary.
    The description of the WoD allows for partitioning the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats, although for the Rx, it should be actually done with a 20 pound vest.
    No one really wanted the vest (until the next class), so we all did the scaled version, which is as described, bodyweight only. The more scaled version some people chose was the same, but with half the number of pull-ups, push-ups and squats. We weren't told we can partition the exercises, so we had to finish the whole load of one exercise before starting the next.

The run wasn't the nicest part, it was hot outside and everything. I didn't want to overdo it, so I ran slowly, finished last.
    The pull-ups were allowed to do however we wanted - using a band to help us. So I did as well as some guys, too. I took my usual, black one, the second thickest. I went by sets of 5 before always taking a break. It started to be tough at around 50. Instructor as usual reminded me to relax my neck, which I couldn't. He then assked me why don't I have the violet one, the thickest. I told him that I am wondering about that, too, so he brought it for me :D I used that one starting at 65. He also asked if I was going to do the scaled, halved version,since I wasn't sure at the beginning and said it depended on the pull-ups.
    It is said the limiting factor for most people are the push-ups. Honestly I wasn't thatworried about those, since I thought if I can pull through the pull-ups, I'm gonna make it! It is also generally allowed for women to do the push-ups on the knees and most do, but I don't like doing that, so I thought unless I really, really can't push myslef up, then maybe, but I wasn't ready to scale the push-ups down like that, too. And I managed to do them normally! Starting by 10 for the first 10 or 20, then going by 5 up to around 65, 70 or so, taking breaks in between. I had my hands a bit furter apart, not under shoulders, and I tried to go low as we should. We should touch the chest to the ground, which I didn't do really, maybe just in the beginning, but I was trying to go within a few cm from the floor. I don't think anyone was able to touch the floor properly and they did the same. By the time I reached around 70, the instructor came to sit besides me and told me to go by 3 as I just started doing. When I finished the 3, he started counting from 8 or 6, which was the number of seconds I was allowed between sets. It was shorter than the breaks I was taking, so I had to adjust a bit at first, but his counting helped a lot and pushed me. He then started to count aloud so that everyone could join in that, going by 3 push-ups at a time. He told me I was doing great, which was nice. It started to get tough at around 150, but I didn't allow myself to go at an easier pace. Again, the counting helped and I actually didn't finish last! As for the 300 air squats, it is a lot, but compared to the rest, I was sure this was going to be more or less a breeze. I went by sets of 10 from start to finish, doing each ten quickly, which I find easier, than taking a few seconds break. By now I actually finished 3rd I think, out of 8 people (6 of whom were guys, one girl who doesn't come too long, who also finished a bit before me, but she did the halved version). I had around 8 minutes till the time cap and whenthe instructor learned I was done with the squats, he urged to go run, quick, so I can make it, I can drink later. Screw that! First drink, then run! :D I ran and walked in between several times, too. I tried not to walk for two long, so I used the counting from ten, which halped and set goals - I need to run at least to theat building before taking a break etc. I tried to speed it up very slightly toward the end, but I didn¨t think I could still make it within the limit. But I did! When I threw myself on the floor, instructor came running! Great! You made it! 12 seconds to the end! Not that I really cared by that point :D My finish time was therefore 49:48. The fastest of our group finished at 43 minutes. In the morning classes, no one did Rx, either (with the vest), and no one actually finished within the time limit. So I didn't really believe I would, nor did I have such ambitions. I just wanted to not die trying :)
    I am glad I didn't shy away from the challenge and did it! :) I am happy especially for the push-ups. Pull-ups, still, need a lot of work.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:15
    Max HR: 146
    Average HR: 179
    Training benefit: Tempo training+
    Kcal: 698
    Fat burn: 20 %

7 hours of sleep today.

Jaydub likes this.
  13. Nachi

Wednesday 30.5.

I went to help teach a karate class to a kids volleyball class in a small town not too far from Prague as a surprise for them. I did the Junbi Undo, after that sensei also arrived and took over. We did some footwork, tsuki and knee strikes. I didn't break too much sweat nor did I bring my Polar. It was a nice class, hopefully some of the kids enjoyed it :)

Travess likes this.
  14. Nachi

Thursday 31.5.18:

Kids class:
    Only 7 kids today, with the main troublemakers not present, so it was a pretty nice class! :) We did some animal walks/runs and whatever for a warm-up, then Junbi Undo, some workout - everyone had one time to stop everyone and tell which bodyweight exercise we'll do 10x. Most kids did that right after I announced this and the rest didn't stop the class in between, so we did them just at the end. Main focus today was kata, Gekisai Dai Ichi, as grading is approaching. There were two of us teaching, so I took the half that "knows" the kata, my friend those who don't know the steps well. Game at the end. A good class today :)

Adult class:
    - Sensei confirmed he was coming today, but seeing how we were about to start late and he was nowhere to be seen, we started by ourselves. Game of tag - catch by hand, then 10 push-ups with a clap. Catching with a leg, then I wanted to do some a bit more difficult exercise, but wasn't very inspired, so I asked for ideas and a friend came us with jumping V-ups :D Most of us did a V-up and stood up and jumped. Some, however, tried jumping in the V-up :D Catching with a butt, again, a friend proposed like "hahaha, we could do one-handed push-ups." And so we did, or tried :D 5 altogether. I more or less did something resembling it even on the left hand! Though I won't comment much on my form.
    - I did the Junbi Undo
    - Then my boyfriend and partner in teaching had an idea for a partner drill that wouldn't take long, so we could end it anytime when sensei arrives. So he took over the class. Sensei wrote he is on his way, but apparently got caught in some work and took another hour to arrive. In the meantime we did several partner drills - based on bunkai from several kata. And some partner bodyweight exercises in between.
    - when sensei finally arrived, it was 15 mins before the official end of the class, but he made it a bit longer, although people were leaving when they needed, until it was only us three assistent teachers left. With sensei we started on a program for a flat and strong belly from an app he just started. Not a difficult level, yet, just a daily dose of work-out. Then we did kakie and Shisochin bunkai from them. Great, I though we didn't do kakie in a while and great, I need to learn those bunkai well, I have a lot of work to be done on them :) My first partner for the maybe four bunkai was sensei, which was great. Then we went through all the bunkai once again, after practising all of them for a bit. Last thing we did was kata - Shisochin. Once with sensie looking, then he worked with a frined on her Seiyunchin, so I just practised Shisochin by myself.

After training we need to move all the stuff in the hall which is going to be reconstructed.

The training in the end lasted quite long, actually, it ran at least 45 mins longer! I don't think there were any tough parts there, but I was still quite worn out at the end, for some reason.
    As for a health update, today, finally, my DOMs from Monday Crossfit are almost gone. After I was ill, my reconvalescence ended on that very Monday, but I can't get rid of the cough. It is not bad, just shortly in the morning it is not that nice, but it is generally just annoying. And last time I had something similar, it lasted for several weeks, which is an idea I don't like much...
    And my wrists hurt. Well, left one is quite ok, it hurts only occasssionally, but the right one gives me some trouble now :( And I forgot to tie my wrists for today, which I should have.

Polar results:
    Time: 3:51
    Max HR: 163
    Average HR: 116
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 1349 => probably the reason I was worn out
    Fat burn: 43 %

Yesterday's sleep: 6 hours, today's: close to 7 hours. I really wanted to go to bed early today, but we ended up going for a (soft) drink after training and... oh well, hopefully next time.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  15. Nachi

I skipped CrossFit on Friday and Monday as I was fairly tired and had a headache and generally didn't feel all that great. On Friday I wanted to take a short nap instead and only woke up hours later....
    No training on the weekend, either. We planned a cycling for a bit, but in the end, sensei invited us to a barbecue at his place, so we did that instead, ooops :D

Tuesday 5.6.:

Karate:
    - The main, not the usual Tuesday sensei today. I arrived nearly half an hour late and joined the class as students took turns to do Gekisai Dai Ichi kata in the front under sensei's watchful eye, while counting for the others to go at the same pace. I got a turn, too, but sensei changed it, from the usual kata to three techniques at every step, so I wasn't given any tips at the end, either.
    - Kihon: Each person said a name of the technique and would count to ten for everyone. We did maybe four rounds, until some people didn't know anymore. I had a few techniques in mind, yet, but when I started maybe the fifth round and sensei asked if I know of any techniques, yet, he then cut it and showed, not single techniques, but combinations from kata on his count.
    - After we made groups - we had a group of four brown belts and were told to go through all the bunkai till Seiyunchin. One person in the middle, the others attack. When we got to Seiyunchin, the two younger brown belts didn't remember the bunkai well, yet, so we paired with them and practised more properly, after we did them with three attackers, too.
    - At the end sensei again took out his app with his belly strenghtening program and today's challenge and we did the work-out. Not particularly difficult, after all, it is yet the start of a 90 day challenge :D

The training wasn't really very exhausting today, but as the past several days it is really really damp and hot, so I was sweating quite a bit still...

Polar results:
    Time: 2:04
    Max HR: 161
    Average HR: 117
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 743
    Fat burn: 42 %

Hours of sleep:
    Friday: 6:30
    Saturday: 8:15 (catching up on sleep today)
    Sunday: 6:15
    Monday: 5:45
    Tuesday: 7:10
    Wednesday: 6:15

16. Nachi

Wednesday 6.6.18

CrossFit:
    - Warm-up: 2 mins on rowing machine, start slow and speed up a bit every 20 s. After, only breathe through the nose for 1 min
    - Stretching. In one move for stretching hips, I immediately got cramps in both of them...

- 3 rounds of:
    - 30 s shuttle runs (sprint)
    - 90 s rest
    - 30 s vertical jumps as high as possible
    - 90 s rest

- 6x6 back squats, add weight and rest 1 min between sets. I did 35 kg, 45 kg, 50 kg, 55 kg, 60 kg, 65 kg

- WoD:
    4 rounds for time:
    - 10 pull-ups (rubber band for me)
    - 10 box jumps (50 cm)
    - 14 alternating kettlebell snatches (12 kg)
    - 15 sit-ups

I did everything as written, except for the pull-ups again, I scaled those down with the band. I thought I may need to get a lighter kettlebell for my right wrist again, so I prepared it, but it only hurt a little during the first round, the next ones were ok :)
    I also thought I was doing pretty well, always first or second at starting the pull-ups, but it turned out 2 or 3 guys were quite far ahead, maybe a round, that's why :D I thought it weird befire as i know they are better at this stuff than me :D I still finished with quite an ok time, 10:35. I didn't take many breaks and those I took were just for a few seconds.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:05
    Max HR: 184
    Average HR: 147
    Training benefit: Tempo & Maximum training (10 mins in the 5th HR zone, 21 in 4th)
    Kcal: 612
    Fat burn: 22 %

axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

Thursday 7.6.

6,5 hours of sleep for today, rest day.
    Sensei kindly agreed to teach the kinds class in my stead so that I won't have to go all the way to the dojo, since today we were catching a late flight to London for the MAP Meet! :)
    I thought I may be able to make it to the crossfit at least, but there were too many things to take care of before that and most of all, I've had a slight headahe for a few days now as I do when I sleep too little and inthe afternoon, suddenly, my vision also turned funny. I saw patches like I looked straight into the sun (but I didn't), that were also swirling, sort of. So I couldn't focus on anything. And later if I did, these swirling patches made parts of the objects to fade. Basically it was kind of hard to see properly. Then this type of swirling blind spot basically appeared to the left of my vision field. It took a while before it went away finally and only a headache remained for the rest of the day. Not sure what it was, but it wasn't pleasant in the least!

Friday 8.6.
    Night in Luton (I caught up on sleep even though our flight was delayed and we only arrived to our hotel at around 1 am). 7:45 hours of sweet sleep ^^
    In the morning we caught a coach to High Wycombe. We didn't do much that day, just solving some accomodation trouble and walked from the center and then back to find a place we could have something nice for dinner. One Polar-recorded walk (hotel-restaurant-hotel): cca 6 km in 1:35, 450 kcal.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

Saturday 9.6.18

MAP MEET 2018!

First warm-up was the walk to the venue, uphill most of the way: 2,8 km in 33 mins, 246 kcal.

Aegis' HEMA session:
    I will be sort here, as I have written more in the MAP Meet 2018 thread. We learned a bit about longswords, trying different slashes, putting them into a combination of 6, then working in pairs using different guards, different strikes and blocks, also grabbing the sword as a part of sequence. Great session, a lot of fun! :)

Polar results (hehe, I tried to measure everything for fun :) ):
    Time: 1:33
    Max HR: 145
    Average HR: 94
    Training benefit: Recovery training (easy pace)
    Kcal: 292
    Fat burn: 59 %

Dunc's japanese weapons session (staff vs. bokken)
    Working in different pairs, always staff agains bokken. We did quite a lot of things I would say, all of them were a lot of fun. A slightly different handling of the staff then I am used to and I actually tried something with a bokken for the first time. Very nice session.

Time: 1:38
    Max HR: 143
    Average HR: 112
    Kcal: 534
    Fat burn: 47 %

Ben Gash's Sanshou/Sanda

A session about combinations and takedowns geared toward competition. I was a bit uncomfortable wearing gloves (my naked thumb was sticking out all the time and I had nowhere to put it :D), but I didn't all the time. We tried blocking a kick and cathcing kicks turning into a takedown, defenses agains that and worked all the time in pairs, mostly take-downs that had some similarities with what I am used to, but I didn't know, mostly. I need to work on my falling strategies :D

Time: 1:21
    Max HR: 149
    Average HR: 110
    Kcal: 414
    Fat burn: 48 %

Dunc's ground BJJ-like self-defence sort of stuff :D
    Very nice session, I enjoyed Dunc's style of teaching and somehow he was always there, when we were trying but had no idea what to do to make the technique work. Which was great and very helpful. Even if we got lost, though, we had a lot of fun and the things we learned were useful, too.

Time: 1:18
    Max HR: 141
    Average HR: 96
    Training benefit: Recovery training
    Kcal: 269
    Fat burn: 56 %

After we went for the dinner and did a nice walk back to our place across High Wycombe. Walk: 5,5 km in 1:07, 334 kcal

Roughly 7:15 of sleep today and 3184 kcal burned

I had a great day and if I can make it, I'll be there again next year! :)

axelb likes this.
  19. Nachi

Sunday 10.6.

Late for Dinner kindly took us to see places. We did only a bit of walking and in the afternoon he gave us a kung-fu lesson, whcih was very nice :) We tried some interesting drills, were even lent weapons like a staff and butterfly knives for a while and went through a hand form. A relaxed, but very interesting class as we tried quite a few things. 2 hours.

Monday 11.6.

We moved from Wycombe to London, where we went straight to the Hyde Park and National History museum, after that we took the underground and walked a bit to our hotel, then back most of the way for the dinner. No training today, but quite a bit of walking, most of it with backpacks on. We may have done some 18 km, probably, over 27000 steps and again I burned a little over 3000 kcal today :)

Tuesday 12.6.

Still exploring London, although we found a way to store our backpacks to have it more comfortable :) We may have walked around 12 km, 26 000 steps a day again. Aegis also kindly met us for lunch :) A return back to Prague in the evening. Our MAP holiday is over, but it was really great :)

I also got plenty of sleep there, between 8 and 8,5 hours each day. ^^

axelb likes this.
  20. Nachi

Wednesday 12.6

My motivation for work today wasn't as great, so I spent some overtime instead of going to CrossFit.

Thursday 13.6.

Karate Kids:

I didn't participate much in today's class, we did preparation for grading.

Karate adults:
    Started a bit late, but probably finished later, too.
    Kata Gekisai Dai Ichi and Ni, Renzoku kumite. Kihon ido combinations done solo and practised in pairs. Kata bunkai training - solo and for speed. Also 50 push-ups and each person counting the sit-ups. I messed up twice so 40 additional push-ups for me XD
    Now I have a feeling we may have done something else, but I really can't rememeber.

Couldn't start my chest strap today, so no results.

Jaydub and axelb like this.