Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sunday 30th April

Gardening
    I cut the grass at the edges at home and then we went to do a bit of work in our allotment. I took my hand cart, put in my veggie plants and brought them there. It is a custom and recommended to put them in the garden bed outside in the second half of May, after the "Frost men" pass. But the forecast says no frerezing for the next week, which will be nearly half of May :oops: and my plant have been in pots outside for at least a couple of weeks now, so I trust in them. They'd grow better in the bed. So I planted them. Well, most. My melons and Physalis are a bit too small, but the rest...
    Planting them actually took pretty much all afternoon as the soil in my plot is heavy, so I dug a hole with a spade for every single one, threw the soil elsewhere, and filled the hole with compost, then I planted the plant. It was a lot of carrying soil and compost and got me quite tired, actually.
    Kettlebell class was cancelled today (we have a national holiday tommorrow and the Witch-burning Festival today, so it was understandable. Burning the witches means we make bonfires, burn witch-dolls, but mostly, we just make sousages over the fire. And instead of attending an event close by, we just made a little bonfire in our allotment. It was very nice. We are so happy about the allotment! My mom left soon, but my dad and I stayed until we finished the two bottles of wine. I really wasn't planning for that. I really wanted to be fit for a bit more gardening tommorrow...

Frodocious likes this.
  2. Nachi

Monday 1st May - National holiday

Gardening
    I did a bit of gardening at home, fertilized my berries, planted some veggie plants at home, too. Then at our allotment I dug holes for the melons and Physalis Ill plant later, so everything is ready. And watered everything.
    My mom found out yesterday that she wasn't strong enough to push a spade into the ground, much less dig a plot, which she claimed she'd be able to do easily. And before I got to the allotment today, she took the opportunity and used the hole I filled with excess soil as a garden bed for her tomatoes and cucumbers (which she claimed she wouldn't bring to the allotment, but plant at her yard at home). And it was at the exact spot where I wanted to make my garden bed before, but she forbid it that she'd like to make a relax zone there, instead. Lo and behold, a couple of weeks later, and it's a relax zone for her tomatoes :mad:
    We met our neighbor there for the first time, one who keeps bees. He took three out of four bee hives away recently and since my dad got stung, he gave us a glass of honey. Awww, that was very nice. He's an older man with Czech ancestors, but originally from Ukraine and we ended up chatting for quite a while and had a late lunch.
    After it I cooked for the rest of the week and it was about time for training.

Karate
    Some people said they'd like to come, so Sett and I made a training, only for adults, today. A friend is over from the UK, who is a student of our dojo, getting ready for black belt grading. Because of her, we focused today's class on Kakie and Kakie kumite - she should be able to do a fe techniques, locks, chokes and takedowns for her grading. THere was an odd number of people, so I paired up with her and while Sett was explaining techniques to the rest, we tried those, but I showed her a few more and we practiced them. We didn't have enough time for takedowns, as well, but we will have a couple more classes with her.
    I was happy I got to practice, too, although I usually only tried once per technique per side, but then usually I needed to explain some details, so I got to do the technique a couple more times.
    We also did 3 Sanchin katas at the beginning and some push-ups in between.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Frodocious and axelb like this.
  3. Nachi

Tuesday 2nd May

I went to water my veggie plot in the morning nad while there did 1 Laojia Yilu (we have started a challenge of 50 Laojia Yilus by 1st July). So today I have: 1/50.
    I also did one Sepai kata while at it, but it wasn't going that well on the slightly wet grass and I feel a bit beaten from the physical work in the weekend, so I only did that one.

Taiji fan - teaching
    Today started nice, I met a couple of friends in the changing room and we chatted and laughed so hard that the receptionist came: "What on Erth is going on here?". We thought she was going to make us quiet down, but she was just curious as to what was so funny, so in no time, she laughed with us. More people were coming, so I went to wait in between the two practice rooms. Both had door closed. I said like a couple of sentences to one of the student, I thought quietly, but one door opened, and there stood the teacher: "Hey Nachi, while I hear you here...." I... should probably work on my volume. He wanted to tell me something else, but who would have throught I would be heard so easily.
    The fan class went well there. At the beginning, not everyone remembered the form well, so I reviewed the whole later half of it, then the steps in the beginning, corrected mistakes I saw, had people stop and correct stances in each move, and finally taught a couple of new moves. One wasn't too complicated, the other was, for those who don't know Laojia Yilu, so I just wanted to cover it briefly, but explain and practice it once again next time. But give people an idea first so it has some time to sink.

Taiji sword, broadsword
    Instructor L usually leads our group's warm-up with three sword forms. She was gone, though, so I tried, again, to urge everyone to start, but again, they would just have me go forward and lead that. I tried to avoid it as I struggle with the first sword form right after the fan practice. There are moves which are the same, but are chained differently and at one place there I always get stuck. I had to focus extra hard but did it with just a brief pause for thinking. Instructor L arrived soon after and joined. So when we finished the first form, I cleared the space and let her go forward. She wouldn't budge, though. -_- She enjoyed her practice in the back, so I had to return to the front. We did 3 more forms before the tracher came and briefly reviewed a part with us.
    We then took broadswords and pracziced, the teacher giving us corrections. We did not learn anything new today as many of the students from the less experienced group were missing, but that was no problem, we improved some of the familiar moves.

Taiji - Cannon Fist form
    The usual instructor was missig today, aparently. I wanted to drink and refresh myself, but saw the group just standing around. I would have thought they would have started by themselves now, but that wasn't the case. And there was no one to take charge anywhere. I am technically not responsible for it, but... well. I was fairly tired from the previous class and also missed the class last week and didn't know the newest move (and I might mess up as I don't remember everything too well) and I also wanted to go to the bathroom first. But then I saw two senior instructors chatting away close by! Well, one was a former instructor and I couldn't see how I would make him take charge, but the other was, although a much more senior instructor, a young guy, which I could potentially push around a bit better :D :oops:
    So I came to innocently ask how about he would help start the class, there's no one. He hasn't been coming to classes much lately and was a bit surprised as he hadn't done that for a while, but I assured him he just needed to do the wuji meditation and the whole form and then the Cannon Fist form, etc. Once the inicial moment of surprise passed, though, he frowned: "You don't want to work, do you?" :oops: Well, yeah :D I promised I would come back soon, instructed him on how the warm-up goes and returned for Laojia Yilu, then Laojia Erlu (though I stayed in the back, there was no way to help anymore, right?)
    Being in the front is tough in a sense that you would try hard to do everything well. And the instructor was sweating and seemed glad it was over. It is 108 moves, after all, jumps etc. in the Cannon fist especially and plenty of fajins. The teacher arrived, saw an unusual face in the front and told us: "Oh, since instructor J here is full of vigor, let's do the Cannon Fist once more!" Hehehe :D
    The instructor shot me a look, and escaped to the very back of the class (right next to me) as soon as the form was over (which was probably 30 mins into the class) :D I tried to cheer him up: "Hey, good warm-up!" But I think he saw through me. Well, never mind now :cool:

I stretched as usuall, and practiced the 5 moves to 4 directions and the 14 moves once or twice before I left.

Frodocious and axelb like this.
  4. Nachi

Wednesday 3rd May

Taiji Fan and Double Fan

I started the class, we did the fan form once or twice, I don't remember. The teacher came and reviewed the end of the form with us. Then had us go through the whole form once more and he left for a while. I was about to start it for a second time when the teacher returned and told us to do just that.
    After that we practiced the double fan, got some corrections, learned a couple of new moves. The teacher took a short video of us to sent to his sifu in order to ask about the list of the moves - their names. As this is probably the first time he is actually teaching this form to anyone, I think. And also the first course ever where any double weapon is taught to multiple people. :)
    Some friends of mine said they might start coming to my fan course in order to etch it into their memory. Someone else chimed in if, when that course is finished in around September, I am going to teach the double fan form there, too? Gosh, don't even let that idea leave your mouth! I hope not :D But ï think that's unlikely. :)

Taiji 33 or so moves
    I took the warm-up and we did the form up tot the 33rd move. Then again from the 15th, then again from the 25th and when the teacher came he had us repeat frmo 25th. We worked onthe last two moves and added a new one - a jumping kick. As he said that, as expected: "Nachi, demonstrate!" We then practiced only step by step. We probably should get ready for a class full of jumping kicks next time :D

Taiji 22 moves
    I was asked to do the warm-up outside on the terrace. It was a nice warm evening there. After silk reeling, we moved inside and practiced the form once or twice. The teacher had us work onthe last move, which wass a bit complicated. We tried a different version that could help us with the mechanics. It was fun :) The teacher was also in a good mood, got to demonstrate or comment our mistakes, so we had a good laugh :D

Taiji 6 moves
    I started with my stretching routine instead of silk reeling. Then joined for the 6 moves and we spent the rest of the class practicing that. I had a sharp pain just above, or somewhere inside my butt. This spot gives me trouble for years now. From time to time the pain appears, like something squeezing a nerve tehre or something. So I was extra careful in the stances and transitions where it happened. The teacher had me go to the from for the last form (6 moves), so I hoped I won't fall or get stuck in a stance there. But it went well :)

Frodocious likes this.
  5. Nachi

Thursday 4th May

Kettlebell morning class
    Sunday training was cancelled, I didn't make it before, so I went today. Oh, so early.
    There was an instructor I haven't met, yet. And I thought I'd met everyone. She was nice, had the same name as my usual instructor.
    We did a few mobility exercises together, then everyone went according to their plan. The preparatory exercises, then TGU.

TGU
    I am slowly adding reps with the 20 kg. I did one with 16 kg, then 4 with 20 kg. But then, the instructor came by and gave me a correction, that I should lower myself to the side a bit more instead of just falling onto my back. Aha, I didn't know that. She showed me and had me try a few times without weight, but then I tried one round each side with 20 kg. So I have actually done 5 rounds with 20 kg now. Yay! Today it didn't feel as heavy as I remembered it to be. :) Good sign.

Well, I don't really have a program beyond this, but I told the instructor I'd just do the exercises I usually do. I usually do variations, but the core is similar.
    Kettlebell deadlifts + push ups
    5 rounds of:
    5 deadlifts with 48 kg. I've been using this weight for a while now and I would actually like to take a heavier one. Maybe I"ll ask next time. I don't know when the right time is, but I feel like it should be by now.
    5 push-ups by a step. I did 5 each round. I was trembling by the end, but I don't think I compromised the technique. The instructor came to check on me, told me to put feet together and reminded me to tighten my butt, but when I did, she said I was doing well. Great. I am feeling more confident with these push-ups, too :)

Double kettlebell squats + dead hang
    I remembered last time I was taught the double kettlebell squats. I tried with, I am not sure, 12 or 14 bell in each hand. Maybe 12 actually, but it felt too light, so I grabbed 2x16 kg. Which felt like a good weight. Not too light, but not that hard, either.
    And I also made myself do the dead hang voluntarily. Well, not that I had many exercises to choose from (oh no, now I remember, I was doing stuff on the rings last time!). But I wasn't too harsh on myself and only did between 20-30 s.

I think I only did like 3 or 4 rounds, because this class only lasts an hour (as opposed to 90 mins on Sunday), and there was only 12 mins left, so I asked about the wswings. Are there swings for everoyne? And as expected, there weren't.

Swings EMOM
    But the instructor lent me her phone with the timer so that I can do the usual exercise, too. Lately I am thinking that maybe I could at least try with the next, heavier weight. But since I tend to miss classes, I usually repeat with my 28 kg. The instructor wanted to check my form. She was actually surprised I took my 28 kg bell. That I've mad ea quick progress if I started in Decemebr. I told her that I do other sports, so I didn't come without a single muscle on me, but she said it was good still. Well, yeah, but I haven't changed the weight since January. Anyway I didn't ask about it. Especialyl since it's been again like 2, weeks since my last kettlebell training... And good thing I didn't! The instructor checked on my form, gave me some tips, but by the second round she said it was good enough. But she had me do the power breathing. I know everyone does that when working with weights, but... I just can't. I just don't like it and I can't do it :D But I was ordered to try. Oh, well. As a result I forgot to cound 10 reps and as advised ended on time. But when I did count later, I've probably been doing 11 reps. The breathing threw me off :D
    By the 8th rounds, although I was chalking like crazy, I could feel the familiar feeling of tearing skin. Nooo. Dang it! I tord half of my calluses and a large piece of skin just below them on both hands at the same time. Noooo. I finished the round, but it was hard holding the bell mosly just by the fingers and I couldn't see myself doing more rounds like this.
    It irks me. I would like to up the weight, I didn't even need to use my mouth to breath, but how could I, if I can't even keep hold of the bell?
    Anyway, next week I'll ask about it. I am determined! (Well, for now :D) Though it will most likely bee this morning class again.

Frodocious likes this.
  6. Nachi

Thursday 5th May

Karate
    It's been a long time since I last had a class with sensei and I was looking forward to it.
    We did Sanchin in the beginning. First 50% effort, I did it too in front of the beginners and younger ones, who may not know Sanchin kata. For the second one, full effort, sensei asked Sett and I to go around, check people'S posture and perhaps do a little bit of shime. There were many people today. Probably 21 + the three of us. A few of them were the more serious children probably transfering from the children class.
    After Junbi Undo we did sayu - footwork - slides, then a bit of bodyweight work-out and partner work-out. I was participating in all that, but occassionally helped or corrected if I saw something requiring attention.
    We then did some partner drills - around 7 rounds of various basic blocks and 10 push-ups with high-five (or low-fiving?) the partner in between.
    Then, for the next 30 mins sensei split the class in three groups by the grade. Each group would work on the highest kata and bunkai they had for the next grading. Sensei took the two most advanced students for Seiyunchin and Shisochin. Sett and I could decide and since said he's fine with either, I left him with the huge group of people for Gekisai dai Ichi and ni practice, of whom not all actually knew the kata. So that group would be rather troublesome. And I took the tow people for Saifa kata :oops: Lately, Sett has been the one teaching Saifa and I always took the youngsters for Gekisai or basic techniques if they couldn't follow, so... it is good to change sides from time to time, right? :D
    With my group of two I had them go through Saifa several times, giving corrections and tips, things to focus on in the next kata, etc. We did the kata full power a couple of times at least, as well, and practiced the bunkai. The student with 5th kyu practiced saifa bunkai, the other had 6th kyu and wouldn't need those for the next grading and only learned them briefly, so I had her practice Gekisai dai Ni bunkai instead. Those would be for her next grading and that was the priority of this practice.

Near the end of the two-our long class, a friend arrived for a visit. A guy who moved abroad years ago, but officially considers our dojo his home one and comes train with us (usually at seminars) when time allows. His karate is awesome, and he is getting ready for third dan grading. He came specifically for this class today, but since he was late, sensei had us all form a line and attack him one by one so he could practice all the bunkai from Gekisai dai Ichi all the way to Sepai. Which wasn't an easy task. It wouldn't be for me, at least.
    The class officially ended then, but sensei wanted to check this guy's kata and we were invited to join, which we gladly did (we don't get much opportunity to practice kata with sensei and get corrections, after all, so this was a no-brainer). We did each kata once, full effort. If sensei saw something amiss, he would stop us from time to time, having us repeat parts, giving corrections. Some more general ones, some to someone specific, mostly to the guest, of course. I did not get any correction at all, but I think some of those sensei said generally applied. And I had energy left today and really enjoyed a serious kata practice. Focusing on things we had learned at the black belt gasshuku not long ago. Although since i haven't bee practicing much by myself, in one kata after another it wasn't easy to focus well on everything. After Sepai, we did Tensho kata and the turning Sanchin. It was great. I tried to adjust my general tempo to the friend's next to me and went full effort. To my surprise, I didn't need to breath hard, either. I thought I'd be out of breath, but... either my full effort wasn't good enough, or my conditioning is rather good. Aaaand, I obviously choose the lattter to be the answer :D :p

To be honest, although it is kind of stupid, I am just a tiny bit sad we can't grade at the upcoming event in a couple of weeks here in Prague. Several friends are getting ready and it is such a nice hype that I would kind of liked to take a part in. (Although I would have to drill the kata and bunkai much more.) But I have at least two more years to wait.

Frodocious likes this.
  7. Nachi

Saturday 6th May

Morning park Taiji
    I went to a park where a group of Taiji friends gather to practice together the past few weekends. There were four of us and we, ehm, chatted more than trained, but I still managed to do 3 Laojia Yilus, 1 Laotia Erlu and practiced the double-fan for a bit - just to remember. I can't do it smoothly, or well...
    We was there nearly three hours. It was nice, though, I think I'll go tommorrow, as well :)

Laojia Yilu Challenge: 8/50.

I did a light gardening in the afternoon. I found out my rhubarb is all grown, so I walked to a grocery store for missing ingredients and baked a rhubarb cream cheese pie for my mom's birthday. I hardly ever sat down today. Only for the meals, I guess, and in the tram. I feel nicely tired, though.

Frodocious likes this.
  8. Nachi

Sunday 7th May

Morning park Taiji
    Yesterday was fun, so I went again. There were more people and we brought weapons today. Sett also stopped by, so I helped him practice the first 6 moves and the first part of the spear form. Aside from that, I did 3 Laojia Yilus and 3 broadsword forms.

Laojia Yilu Challenge: 11/50.

9. Nachi

Monday 8th May, national holiday.

Gardening
    In the morning I spent 4 hours in the garden, mowing the grass with my hand mower, which seems to be a bit blunt, probably, so it was a bit of a work-out. Then I trimmed the hedges and did some other little things.

Karate
    In the evening we had karate class outside. Sensei taught. We started with one Sanchin kata and Junbi undo. We spent most of the time working on Gekisai dai Ichi and Ni katas, practiced them a lot in one stance on the spot, also probably because one of the students has a bad knee. We also did a lot of shiko dachi. In the end, practiced the kata in pairs, one person always checking the other, perhaps giving tips, and practicing the bunkai. I was paired with a friend getting ready for her black belt grading, so I only did the checking and helping her. Very easy training today, physically. 90 mins, and some 300 something kcal...

We went to the allotment at aroun 10 pm to cover the veggies with textile as it could be freezing tonight.

Frodocious likes this.
  10. Nachi

Tuesday 8th May

Kettlebell gym
    The Sunday class was agin cancelled due to the national holiday, so I cam today instead. Soooo early! To make it quick I rode my bike. But, I completely forgot it was supposed to be a cold morning today. And it was, 3°C. Luckily, the ride is very quick, so I didn't really get cold (and I put layers on).
    It is only an hour long class. We did mobility exercises, then I did the basic stuff with my usual 14 kg bell.

TGU
    1x 16 kg
    just for a warm-up, then 5x 20 kg per each side. I think I'd better get comfortable with this weight while I can :)

Double KB squats + push-ups
    I used 2x 16 kg bells for 5 squats. And then did 5 push-ups. Usually on the step, but twice just on the floor as there were people near the step and I didn't want to be in the way or end up hit with a kettlebell. 5 rounds.

KB (double-handed swings).
    I was going for 10x10 as usual, did them by myself today as only few people did, too.
    Last Thursday I tore off my caluses. I have been creaming them up since, but they still haven't healed,yet, so I was going to see how it goes today. This class is shorter, so I didn't have time for the deadlifts and horizontal bar, so my hands were a bit fresher :)
    However, it really did hurt. By the 6th round, I could feel the sensation like something is about to tear again, and I was compensating for the looser grip with my technique and it was really not worth much. So I ended it there. The instructor saw this last round and told me to engage my core more. I think that was prectisely how I was compensating. She gave me a few advises about calluses and told me to do something, I understood was a bear walk, instead. To rest my hands, but work on my core. So I did, a couple of rounds across the width of the gym (around 15-20 steps) and back.

Stretching.

Frodocious likes this.
  11. Nachi

Tuesday 9th May

Taiji - fan, teaching
    A fairly normal class, not much talking, mostly practicing so that everyne could remember. We reviewed the last few moves. No new one today, but we added two last time and the last was a bit complicated.

Taiji - sword, broadsword
    We started the class with three sword forms. The teacher had us practice a few moves near the beginning.
    Then we took up broadswords and we went through the nearly whole form a couple of times. Wow, I felt tired just by that. We spent some time reviewing bits, the last part then done fast, together. I did my best to keep the teacher’s tempo and I am fairly sure I would if he wasn’t behind me. Then we practiced by ourselves, the teacher told us a few tips to get faster, which really helped. I feel these moves chain nicely together and they are fun. If only I wasn’t so tired. But still it seemed I was the fastest as the teacher challenged everyone to finish faster than me. Oh no, looks like I can’t take it easier now. Fun class. :)

Taiji - Cannon Fist form
    We started with usual wuji and one Laojia Yilu. I felt like skipping it, but we do have the ongoing challenge, after all...
    Then the Cannon fist form. Two, I think. I couldn’ find the energy, so the fajins weren’t much of fajins and I took the moves easy. Except for the sweep near the floor as I forgot the way to do it in a higher stance. I tried before at home, but couldn’t figure it out.
    We then worked on the ending, on some parts we were unsure of and learned the last move of the form. Looks like we’re done! I mean, certainly not practicing and going a bit in-depht, which the teacher promised would be the plan for the next few months. Then we might start learning the Chen Fake’s form - the Xin jia. That would be cool. But it looks damn complicated. So none of us are in a rush. We’d better learn the Cannon Fist properly first. We all struggle with it at least a bit.
    And one last Cannon Fist form to end the class. My fajins weren’t really fajins anymore. I guess this is all due to my morning kettlebell class. Oh, how weak I am! I was a bit angry with myself and I wanted to ret really badly, but thought I can’t be too soft, so I stayed for the final class, too.

Taiji - 14 moves
    I did skip the silk reeling, though. I stretched for around 25 mins as usual, which helps recover my legs a bit. And I was able to join the next class. I didn’t push my stances that much and couldn’t hold in them for a longer time, but otherwise it sort of worked. Until the class learned the 14th move and we practiced the last two over and over. There’s weight on the left leg most of the time, so... that was painful.

A tram took long to arrive, the bus too, and carrying my weapons over the shoulder, I came home aching all over.

12. Nachi

Wednesday 10th May

Taiji fan + double fan
    3x fan form (I was late, only 2 for me). Then we worked on the ending and another part of the form.
    We had around 20-25 mins for the double fan. We went through what we knew a few times and were shown the next move/couple of moves. Again a turn and fans rotating around the body. This time it was supposed to be a leap and a different ending position again, meaning, different trajectory of the fans. Not that easy. During the leap, one fan opens with the first step, but the teacher said it would be best if we could also open the second one after it, right after the next step with a turn. Easier said than done. So far it is fairly difficult to do the leap well with the technique. And hard to open the second fan, too. I feel that leaping and opening one and then the other fan in that instant and coordinating everything is impossible. But hey, never say never, I guess...

Taiji - 33 moves
    We went outside on the terrace for silk reeling. Both groups. There's junior instructor doing warm-up for the other group and he was in the front, so, well, I didn't let him leave and wished him all the best.
    My legs were hurting already. In fact since the very beginning. And my back and random parts, too. All from yesterday. I didn't need to do the silk reeling if I needn't to :D I did it, but at a higher stance, focusing on technique, without the need to count and pay attention to if I should change the silk reeling, etc.
    Our group then went inside and we did the 33 moves, then repeated a few times from the 26th. The teacher decided we should practice the first type of kicks today. He saw mistakes, so we move across the gym and back a couple of times, practicing the silk reeling within the kicking moves. And also did a bit of stretching. We agreed that summer may be spent practicing various kicks, stretching and trying to imrpove those. Sounds good to me :)

Taiji - 25 moves
    We again went outside for the silk reeling. The same junior isntructor was there, again, too. But he was smarter and would let me through the door first. Playing a gentleman, but very obviously pushing me forward so that I am the one the teacher sees first and has to lead the silk reeling. Tsk. I kind of planned to do it now, at least.
    I did it at a faster pace, again, focusing on my hips. I felt quite good in it near the end. Except for my legs hurting badly.
    The teachers haven'T arrived, yet, so I sent the advanced group insode and went through the first 4 moves with the 4-moves group. The teachers came then and I went to join the other. We practiced the same move as in the last few classes. It is not an easy one, after all.

Taiji - 6 moves
    I was exhausted. I discussed this weekend's event with a couple of friends and then joined the class. I didn't stretch today. We did a bit of stretching before nad I somehow felt too lazy for it. Not sure if joining the froup for 5 moves to 4 directions twice was a wiser move, but...
    I still kept my stances low. I was tired, but I felt soft in the hips. Actually I feel like this got better in the last couple of weeks or so. Which, is, unfortunately, accompanied by popping feeling in my left hip from time to time. I am not sure what that means and although it doesn't hurt or anything, I would prefer it to stop.
    It also feels like I can rotate the leg (thigh) a bit more in the stances. Which is good, gives me more freedom within the stance, but I worry if that type of position is healthy for the knee. But it doesn't hurt of feel uncomfortable.
    We practiced stepping, the 6th move and part of the 7th.

Frodocious likes this.
  13. Nachi

Thursday 11th May

My hip keeps clicking and popping. I did a self-google-diagnosis :oops: and found out this should most likely be snapping hip syndrome. While it can cause problems, by itself, it is a tiny problem, but I don't like it one bit, anyway. Better get rid of it. It is supposed to be caused by tense muscles/tendons along the hip joint. By overloading, I guess. Or one source said it could be caused by muscles too loosened. I do feel definitely more loose than tight, but who knows if I worked that one muscle too hard. Anyway, I found stretches for this and strenghtening exercises. I hope I can't go worng with either of those. So I was stretching today and massaging my hips with a foam-roller. It did feel like it was better in the afternoon. Only snapping from time to time. But I was also careful with it. Rest is adviced. To not do anything that causes the snapping. So I thought I'd take today's training easy and did no taiji form for the challenge, either. On Saturday we'll have both karate nad taiji demonstration, so I'd better let my hips rest for at least these two days.
    Not all the blackbelts can come or would be able to do some exercises, so chances are I might need to suffer through some tough stuff :D And you can't go easy in a demonstration, right? I just hope sensei won't beat me too harsly, if it comes to it :D I have to avoid iron body conditioning with sensei if I am to hold a taiji sword or a fan after that, at least.
    As usual, though, I don't know what will be my task in the demostration. For karate, nor for Taiji... But for Taiji, I can make a guess, as there are limits to what I've learned so far and had some time to practice. But I'll be happy with anything, as long as my hip doesn't give me trouble :)

Karate - teaching
    Sensei couldn't make it, so Sett and I teaching today. We started with Sanchin kata. First very light. However, aching all over from the training in the past few days, I sneezed in the morning and pulled some muscles in my side. And the deep tanden breathing, although done lightly felt uncomfortable as my sides would expand against the belt. And here I thought Sanchin was a great exercise not straining my hips :D I feel like I am getting old...
    Anyway, for the next two Sanchin katas, I went around, correcting everyonwe's posture. We ended up douing more theory about this and some exercises.
    After Junbi Undo we split the class in two groups. Sett took the majority do to partner drills, as we agreed, while I took the two 1st kyu students who will be grading soon. And a fried with 3rd kyu. I asked the grading candidates what they wanted to go over. One wanted San Dan Gi, wspectially the 4th and 5th, the other Ippon Kumite. So we did both. San Dan gi several times solo, then in pairs, ippon kumite in pairs nad then oyo, with added technique. There were four of us including me in the group, but today, although it is a bit unfair, I wanted to pay attention especially to the black belt candidates. I asked the other friend to practice all that stuff ago, and made sure I'd check on her and give some corretions. I had her practice kata - Seiyunchin in the end adn gave stuff to work on there. While mostly correcting and advising the other two. I really didn't train myself, but I was planning to rest today, after all, so it worked for me.
    Suddenly, the class was nearly over. We then did kata demonstration - everyone would show their highest kata solo or in groups of 2-3 and Sett and I each would give one correction to every person.
    Somehow the class took 2 hours 15 mins today....
    We also covered some etiquette, like how the final bowing to each other is done in a gasshuku setting with plenty of people in a large gym, etc. We are hosting a bit gasshuku in two weeks, after all. :)

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  14. Nachi

Saturday 13th May

A litttle biit of gadening in the morning.

Karate - yudansha training
    14:00-16:30 we gathered in the dojo with a few friends from different dojos. There weren't too many of us - only 6. Sensei wanted to join to teach the class, but at the same time, he was organizing this school's 90th aniversary. There was even barbecue. Right under the dojo's window. What a torture :D
    So the class was handed to sensei who is getting ready for his 4th dan grading. The grading is next week, and 4 or the 6 of us were getting ready for it - one for 4th dan, one 3rd dan and two 1st dan candidates. We went through all our kata, some bunaki (Sett and I prioritized the more advanced ones, so we didn't go through all), Renzoku kumite, Ippon kumite, San Dan Gi - the two of us didn't have time for it. Sett and I were also asked to help everyone with the turning version of Sanchin - we don't practice it that often and the people from other dojo's did not remember soem details. So we went over those several times.

There was going to be a tiny Budo show starting at 17:00. Sensei was supposed to tell us his ideas and let us know what we will be demonstrating. He was kept busy by the celebrations, though, so he only came to tell us quickly at 16:15. Once he gave us tasks, he wanted us to try it out, but I had to meet up with Taiji people for the demonstration at 16:30 and show them into the changing rooms and gym etc., so I missed this. When I came back, sensei was giving out hojo undo equipment. He said there would be 5 mins of hojo undo, everyone demosntrating one piece of equipment. As soon as I entered the dojo, sensei aasked: "Nachi, will you take the kongoken?" I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not, but I agreed. He was not. Since there were, by this time, 5 strong guys demonstrating, and two women, one would kind of expect that the heaviest thing would be assigned to a guy. But we are the only dojo out of these who has a kongoken, so three + out brown belt who joined relatively recently, don't know the exercises well. And Sett has hurt his shoulder. So I guess it was my turn. Five mins of it, keeping a good for for the demo would be tough, but to be honest, I was a big happier with kongoken than with the hard three-person makiwara, or the nigiri game - vases, which are light, but most of them has their mouth wide so I, with my small hands have trouble keeping a good hold of them. Kongoken with it around 20 kg of weight (not sure of the exact weight), is tougher, but more fun, too :)
    I we then racticed the inicial entrance with a few dozens children from the school learning karate.

BUDO SHOW at the elementary school anniversary celebrations
    Karate demonstration

We entered with the children, our sensei taking the microphone and commenting, the next sensei in line taking charge. The front line of adults moved to the very back and everyone did a few basic kihon technique and San Dan gi - this was mostly the children's demo. Then those who knew the fist kata demosntrated it. Then the children moved back and we did the adult demo. Then came hojo undo. I did my best to keep exercising throughout, changing exercises. Doing the tougher ones when sensei was introducing kongoken, but I didn't really listen to what he was saying. I lasted through the 5 miins, somehow. I felt like after a nice work-out. All ready for Sanchin kata asn shime. Then we did Renzoku kumite in pairs - I was with Sett. Then kata demo. 6 of us did 4 katas at the same time - Sett and I did Sanseru. Then bunkai demo. Sensei wanted to use this to check on the grading candidates, so Sett and I only acted as attackers. Lastly sensei demonstrated the higest kata - Pechurin and its bunkai.
    The demo was supposed to take 30 mins, but took probably 40-50. We told sensei that it was impossible to fit all he wanted into 30 mins, so he shortened it a bit, but still.

We went to take the hojo undo equipment back inside. But there was a guy, probably from the parents, who came and asked to tra how heavy the kongoken was. By all means. He held it and asked if he may carry it back. Oh, by all means! I told him to just follow everyone and saught the taiji people to ask what I was going to demo there.
    Not many of the usual people doing the demonstrations gathered at the last min notice, but there were 6 of us. Two people didn't practice with weapons, so would only be a part of the group demo of the beginning of Laojia Yilu. One guy learned the short form with a long spear he was going to do. The teacher would demonstrate either Xinjia form or the 42 fajins. Then, I was very happy that the senior, one of the young instructors came. He knows many of the weapong forms and usually demonstrates the double-saber. Unfortunately, he was coming here not from home so he asked someone to grab his pouch with the sabers, but he was instead handed a pouch with a halberd. Ah, what a pity! Luckily, I brought at least my saber in case it would be useful and I was very happy I could at least hand him one. So he'd do a saber form and a halberd one. While I had sword and fan.

Taiji demonstration
    Between karate and taiji, there was a demo of another school practicing here - kendo and iaido. I thing they also took longer than 30 mins, so our taiji group was watching nervously, as many people, the karate guests, and many parents with children were leaving. We decided change the plans slightly. We planned to starte showing the beginning of Laojia Yilu all together at the start. But it is slow and not too flashy and we didn't want people to think nothing interesting was coming anymore. So we put a weapon in. The teacher said I would do my sword form while everyone would do the Laoji Yilu behind me. I think that worked. Except, as expected, I messed up and one point and foget which move goes next. It is too similar o the fan form... I just had to follow up with something, and I think it wasn't very noticeable, but I did skip a few moves.
    Then came the spear form, then saber, then the teacher, who showed the 42 fajins as it is a bit flashier. Time came for my fan form. I worried I'd lose balance on the unever lawn, during some of the jumps of difficult turns, but it went better than expected. The fan is surprisingly loud and I made sure to open it fast and loudly. Scarign a few women int he front, who didnt expect it at first :) Lastly came the halberd form. This particular halbert was heavier than the usual trianing one, and very pretty. I haven't seent eh halberd form done by this instructor, but it was really awesome :)
    Phew, we made it relatively quick, I think, and quite a few people still stayed :)

And a few pictures :) Unfortunately, there are probably none from the karate demo.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  15. Nachi

I took a rest for a couple of days. I spent several hours in the garden on Sunday and felt sore and not at all energetic enough for the kettlebell class, so I skipped. I was sorry about that as I won't be able to attend like every other class from now on due to weekend events, but in hindsight, I didn't feel too well, so it was a good decision.

Monday 15th May
    Karate Kids
    Mostly just corrected and acted as reference for the kata practice we focused the class around today.

Karate adults
    Sanchin kata at the beginning, 2x for me. Junbi Undo. Then we decided to do San Dan Gi San this class. Most people did not know it, so we practiced the basic techniques first, then the combinations separately, then we put everything together and then we let people practice in pairs. I participated inthe solo stuff, but as for the pairs,we went around correcting. And some pads at the end. Again, I didn't participate.
    Very easy class. But I slept badly today and I felt really tired. Too bad I won't be able to sleep early today, etiher.

Frodocious likes this.
  16. Nachi

Tuesday 16th May

Taiji fan - teaching
    We started with the whole fan form a fewt times, then I let the group try by themselves. The late comers hadn't come, yet, and the people present remembered well!
    Apart from a couple of people, who missed the last two classes, so we reviewed the last few moves. Apart from that, I made sure we did the whole form we knew many times so that people would rememeber. I guess that is the biggest struggle.
    In the last 15-20 mins I taught the next move - Oblique walking. I should have prepared how to explain it. I started way too roughly, and only then did it bit by bit. I always read my notes on the move I am going to teach before the class, but at least with the harder moves, I should probably always try to think about how to explain them, too.
    The Taiji people had little trouble with it and grasped the move quickly, but for the newcomers, this will be harder. We didn't have much time to practice the ending in detail properly, so I guess next class will be just finishing this move.

Taiji sword and broadsword
    3 sword moves at the beginning. The teacher gave us some corrections and we moved onto broadsword. When done quicky, I think the broadsword form takes maybe only a little over a minute. Or around a minute. However, it is very exhausting and hard on the legs. Especially one move in particular when one would jump and fall into xiebu three times in a row (with a 360° turn each time on top of that), then do one move followed by two more xie bus, one of which can alse be jumped into. This sequesnce is killing me when practiced repeatedly. although to be fair, I was really looking forward to learning this move, it just looked so cool when demonstrated by the instructors :D I don't love it as much anymore, though XD
    We worked on some moves in the middle and added a new one. Same as the one beofre, with just a 180° turn. Seemed easy, I was familiar with the turn from the fan form and was able to just copy the teacher the first time he demonstrated and got it, but not everoyne did, so we worked on this step by step for around 10 mins. I wanted to practice the jump in it, but this way, I could not. We only tried once or twice and I got the timing wrong (with the jump). Need more practice.

Taiji Cannon Fist form
    Wuji, Laojia Yilu, Laojia Erlu. I was tired, although not as exhausted as the last couple of weeks by this time. We had learned the last moves of this form last week and today we started reviewing it from the beginning. But also worked on the end so we remembered (I shamefully forgot). This was a very nice class.

Taiji 14 moves and 1 move
    I was planning on doing my stretching routine nad then probably joining in the class, but apperently the second teacher couldn't come today, so the head teacher asked if I could help. So I started right away with the warm-up.
    I got into my wuji stance and after plenty of taiji today, I felt very comfortable in it, very stable. I thought about shifting my weight back, on my heels, and surprisingly, I felt like I was able to lean furthre than expected and felt really comfy and balanced, still, I had a feeling as if I was leaning against the wall. And within the 30 breaths I held the wuji for, I got nicely relaxed and felt enhusiastic about exercise. So I went for a wide stance for silk reeling, which I normally wouldn't have, much less after 3 hours of classes with no rest at all. I felt very comfortable, soft in the hips, legs stopped hurting and I was actually rather enjoying myself (which also rarely happens to me in silk reeling :D ). THe only problem was that trying to figure out the smooth movement in the hips etc. made me do the circles rather fast. And half of the people had only just finished learning silk reeling. Well, it is said everyone can foolow their own tempo, right? Or surely, it wouldn't hurt to change the pace from time to time.
    Anyway, I felt nice and felt comfy in the lowest stances I could manage even for the next practice with the more advanced group - first 5 moves to four directions, then all their 14 moves 2,5x
    Then the teacher called eveyone and talked about theory for quite a long time. To make up for the absence of the teacher. I at least tried to stretch my back in any way possible while sitting, I really needed that.
    For the last 10 mins, I was sent to the beginner group to practice the first move over and over. So I did some explaining while practicing, checked stances, answered questions and had everyone try to do the silk reeling in each move - 3 full circles insted of on or half a circle that would be in the move.
    It went well. But I had a sore throat from the speaking today and my voice wasn't at its best anymore.

Felt really well after the last class today, not going home utterly exhausted for a change :)

Frodocious likes this.
  17. Nachi

Wednesday 17th March

Taiji fan & double fan
    On my way to taiji, I again, like not long ago, got a cramp or whatever in my intercostal musles on my left side. I really don't know why it is always this place. It wasn't as bad as last time, but still preented me from breathing in too much. It got a little better by the time I arrived and I was able to move around, just not breath in too deeply at all, cough, sneeze and stuff like that.
    I started the class, we went through the fan form. We usually do so once, or perhaps twice, before the teacher comes to teach. Today, however, he came only near the end of our third form. But before we finished it... he left again :D too bad, class, we simply review before he comes. So we did a fourth one. Luckily he came back right before I was about to start the fifth, some people basically hypnotozing the door by now... Oh, it was tough for me, too, my legs hurt from yesterday.
    The teacher corrected some bits in the form for us and we took up the double fans.

Taiji - 33 moves or so
    The teacher was gone, again, so I started the class with the group. We did silk reeling, practiced Cloud Hands as usual and went through the whole of the form they knew once. The teacher had us practice the kicks and one turn, we didn't get to the jumping kick as we expected. I did not mind at all. Jumping kicks were the last thing I needed for my cramping chest.

Taiji - 25 moves
    I did the general silk reeling. One teacher came right after that, so I took the other group for the form. Today, the teachers switched places and we practiced with the second teacher. He had us work on some general things and we did the 25 moves several times in that class, basically drilling.

Taiji - 7 moves
    I took my sweet half an hour of stretching that I really needed, then joined for the 6th and 7th move practice. I felt nice and flexible in the hips (so why do you keep snapping, hip?), but the prolonged practice of the last move keeping the weight on only one leg for a long time was... tough for me. At the end the teacher wanted to demonstrate some principles and was looking for someone to demonstrate it on. He often uses guys for demonstration, especially demosntrating in pairs, but there was none of his favourites here now and I already knew how this would play: "Nachi, come up!"
    "Show the silk reeling in the move." So I did. The teacher commented on how the posture was and explained on me how the hips moves. Then he said: "Now, do it wrong!" Uh... how... wrong?
    The teacher, being his blunt self, responded: "How you've been always doing it. Don't tell me you already can't?" :mad:
    I did try, the teacher told me to move in my back, and I did my best. He said to everyone that was it, that's how it shouldn't be done, but I am moving my hips anyway.
    Hah, there you go! I unlearned it pretty well, haven't I? :cool:

I came home late, as usual, but since we organize a big karate event this weekend and tommorrow, the teachers and other guests are coming and sensei, Sett and I will be taking care of driving them and showing them around, taking them to eat. It is quite an honor and I am very humbled and appreciative that sensei would, like last time, let us take care of these important guests, but it was about time we actually discussed some things! We were supposed to discuss the plan on Saturday, then on Monday, but we ended up doing so over the phone late at night today... oh how I admire sensei being so calm about everything. He has many important things in his life at the moment, having a lot on his plate. I expected he would delegate more of the preparations of this event to us, but he apparently took care of most of the things himself, our another sensei taking care of the financial stuff etc. as usual (thank goodness she's good with this!)

Now came time for the practical logistics of the next few days, where from my last info, I wouldn't be needed, so I didn't take a day off. The task will be to bring the guests from the airport - 5 different planes tommorrow, but my car isn't working, so I have nothing to drive and unless I want to bring someone on my bike... Some arrivals are groups of three, so I wouldn't fit in the car as a company anyway, therefore there was really nothing I could help with. But since sensei and Sett will be busy, I will take care the usual evening class in the dojo. And it turns out I may then go and join everyone for dinner, though I'll be a bit late.

The plan sensei told us changed from the last version and we learned of some unexpected changes in the next few days, too. It is amazing that we always stress about everything when we learn sensei's plans, or that he doesn't have much of a plan, and worry it would end up terribly, but every single time, it just works out well. Sensei truly has talent for this. Now the one stressed for tommorrow is Sett, getting some unexpected, last-minute-notice tasks and responsibilities. I couldn't help but laugh hard afterwards, especially to Sett's misfortune, but oh, how my cramping muscles hurt! :D I couldn't stop laughing, but couldn't breath in too well. It was torture. And Sett didn't feel sorry for me, at all. XD Oh my gosh, I hope everything works out... Well, if Sett is too stressed or has trouble tommorrow, I guess I will be called over to give a helping hand.

I also hope the T-shirts for the event arrive in time. They should be printed by now and will be shipped from sensei from Slovakia, arriving hopefully before the event starts on Friday, or on Saturday at the latest. This stunt is on Sett's and my head, though. It was us finishing the design only week and a half ago :oops: Only then did we ask a sensei in Slovakia to get the T-shirts of the desired color and material and sizes ready, print and ship them to us all within the next few days. Oh, T-shirts, please arrive well! And please, look good!

Anyway, I am looking forward to our gasshuku a lot! I am still inspired from the one a month ago in Germany. And this time we'll have 4 senior senseis (8th dan) teaching. We expect over 120 participants from at least 11 countries mostly from Europe, but apparently also from Canada, Brasil and Pakistan! The majority actually being black belts. It will be big! :)

Frodocious likes this.
  18. Nachi

Thursday 18th May

Karate
    The adult class was taught by me and Sett, who came in the end, so, well, he was the one teaching most of it. We started with Sanchin kata asi usual, then Junbi Undo. Then a few kicks and sicne the dan grading was behind the door, I wanted to split the class to let the grading candidates practice whatever they wanted. Or the higher belts for that matter. I thought they would practice bunkai or whatever by themselves and we'd check, but a friend did not remember her bunkai, neither did her partner, so I basically just stayed with them while Sett worked on kihon and probably parts of Gekisai dai Ni kata with the rest. I first showed one pair the bunkai for Seiyunchin, one by one, then I checked on the other pair, one of them being the black belt candidate. I saw some mistakes or imperfections to correct and that was basically about it. We ended the class soon. We usually stretch it to 2 hours but only did an hour and 20 mins for once.

The reason was simple, we went to join our sensei and his family as well as the guests. Four senseis with 8th dan teaching, one of whom brought his son and a few friends from Scotland.

19. Nachi

Friday 19th May

Sensei had a something to do in the morning, so it was up to Sett and I to pick up the van and go pick up senseis and take them sightseeing. We took the group of 5 to the traditional sights like Old Town square and the Charles Bridge etc. and to a medieval pub for lunch, where our sensei joined us.
    In the afternoon we helped a bit getting the place for the gasshuku ready and a just wantched and help a tiny bit with the registration of incoming karateka. Also, the T-shirts arrived just in time and looked good! We were very happy about it.
    Today evening wa the first 2 hour long class. Usually, not as myna people come on Friday as there are for the full days of training, but there were more than expected, around 80 people. The vast majority being black belts up to rokudan (6th dan). There were probably at least 20 people with 5th and 6th dan only. Wow.

IOGKF INTERNATIONAL SPRING GASSHUKU IN PRAGUE, day 1
    The training started with sensie Ernie doing Junbi Undo and some basic kihon for a warm-up. Then we split into four groups (as we had 4 teaching senseis with 8th dan, three of whom being the IOGKF executive committe).
    We had a group of 1st adn 2nd degree black belt (shodan & nidan). We had a smaller hall for ourselves, making only two lines. I stood in the fornt one, so I was able to see everything sensei was showing very well.

We had sensei Henrik Larsen for the first block. He taught Sanseru bunkai. Well, we all knew the steps, but he taught us more details. Me being right in front of sensei meant my mistakes were, however, easily noticed as well, so I got several corrections, be it sensei adjusting the height of my strike or seeing something I did wrong and telling to everyone (hopefully, he didn't see that mistake only in me, but sometimes he obviously stopped our practice after looking my way :oops:).
    Sensei gave us several very nice tips and corrections. I tried hard focusing on correcting them along with the corrections I got personally, but several of them were ithin one or two techniques following one right after the other, so I had a hard time getting all of it right.
    Sensei also had us practice a few things in pairs. He actually picked me up as a partner to demonstrate the exercise on. He said it was about kansetsu geri. Oh no, there are many kicks in karate, but if I had to pick one I am fairly sure I can't do well, it would be this one. Luckily, I was asked to just stand there and sensei demonstrated on me. Phew. I was fairly sure I'd get a storm of corrections had he asked me to demonstrate the kick. Well, all the corrections came later, as soon as sensei came by me and my partner :oops::D

Second and last block was taught (for us) by sensei Roy Flatt. He came to ask me about what we had done before, how many people were to grade from our group this weekend and he decided we'd do Sanseru bunkai. Our group was also joined by 1st kyus, so sensei showed some Shisochin bunkai for them.
    We were ordered to partner up with someone we did not know, preferably from a different country. My partner was Kim from England. She was very nice and we had a good time practicing together. The bunkai sensei showed us were slightly different to what we do, but only slightly, so that it wasn't easy to adjust. For me. I suck at combinations in general. We were always told to do maybe 10 reps per side and eahc of us and then stop. But when we did, most people seemed to have been practicing still and for a long time. So we usually chatted a bit and eventually returned to practice. However, sensei caught us just chatting away at one time and we got a few comments on that. When he was returning our way back, we got a "perfect" from sensei :) Lathough I am sure senseis would praise people mostly for encouragement, it does feel encouraging anyway :D Especially since he just moved past us tot he peir next, who got a few more explanantions.
    By the fourst technique to pratice, sensei suddenly grabbed my sleeve: "What time are we ending?" I did not know. But sensei wouldn't let me go and it was already 8 pm and I had a rough idea that was indeed the finish time. I called Sett to ask his opinion and he ran to check both the schedule and if the clock worked well. It was both correct, indeed. What a pity, the block was over way too soon. There were a few bunkai to go I would love to learn! Some were more, some less different from ours, but some felt better and it is nice to see the possible variations.

After training we packed qhat needed to be packed and went together to an asian restaurant very close.
    The first day of training went well and was very nice :)

20. Nachi

Saturday 20th May

So yesterday Sett and I completely forgot to measure and buy a rope to hang a huge transparent (10x5 m) we have for gasshukus and wanted to hang up in today's gym. We asked a friend in the dojo to spread the thing and let us know it's size, etc.
    So we went to a hobby market first thing in the morning, as soon as it opened, at 8 am, to get a 30 m or rope. Then rushed to the location we hadn't knows till now and hang the thing up. It was in a nice gym in a school. The training was to start at 9 am and we were there at 8:15, as soon as we possibly could, but there were already international guests, but all like at a closed entrance, a wrong one. So I directed them around the fence and we quickly called sensei to learn where the entrance to the hall actually was (we couldn't find it, either), and directed the people there. THen we just dropped the rope to our friends to figure out how to hang hte huge and heavy transparent and we hung up signs to direct people to the hall all the way from the wrong entrance. We brought packs of drinking water in, using any Czech we met at the parking lot. Don't even think about walking light, without bottles! :)
    Firends from a sister dojo were just hopelessly staring at the transparent at first, but by the time we were done with our big and small errands, it was finally nearly hanged, by our tall sensei, climbing as high as he could. It looked well and everything was taken care of, including the registration desk, which was the task of our former sensei, or sensie still, but currectly not very active, and a volunteering parent.
    We just went to change then, the training was about to start.

IOGKF INTERNATIONAL SPRING GASSHUKU IN PRAGUE, day 2
    Today's teh main training day, and most guests arrived. There were over 120 people form I think 12 different countries. Sooo nice! There were more kyu grades, but black belts still took the majority.
    Junbi Undo and kihon warm up was taken care of by sensei Henrik Larsen.
    Then we split into 4 groups, each taking one corner of the hall. Our group was probably the largest - 1st to 3rd dan.

First block - sensei Roy Flatt
    Since I only have a 2nd dan, I would not dare to go to the fornt row, especially since tehre were many rows of only a few ( around 6) people in each. But I can hardly see over guys if I am more to the back and of course, it is sometimes very hard to hear, too. But luck was on my side today! We started with sensei Roy, who, upon his arrival, said to line up according to height - short one forward, taller back. So the front line was nearly exclusive to women. I guess my only chance to actually get to the front. This was awesome ^^
    Sensie Roy had us work on Gekisai Dai Ichi kata and he showed us bunkai, where we were to focus on distance and angles. The bunkai were later practiced in groups of five - 4 bunkai, one defender, four attackers from different sides, 5 rounds for each person. I got a group with two friends and two foreign guests, whom we sadly had not much time to get acquainted with. This exercise was a lot of fun, though.

Second block - sensei Jorge Monteiro
    Since people generally seemed to respect sensei Roy's line up, I squeezed to my spot to the front. I feel a bit inadequate doing this, but my eagerness to see and here wins. I made sure to always sit down any time sensei wold start to explain something, so that poeple behind would be able to see, as is the custom. I'd rather doa hundred squats in the classes than stand in the back. But some people do prefer that.
    Sensei Jorge wanted us to practice kumite, or more like kumite drills or sports-type strikes with evasions. Basically to strike with lifting heel of the floor and twisting the foot. I've never really done that before. Or maybe just tried once, but I simply have no experience to speak of with this, similar to most people here, I guess. We were practicing in pairs, working a lot with distance and angles, it was very nice and also very fun. Sensei Jorge demonstrated with his son from our group and wow, just wow. The son was incredibly nimble and quick. Simply on a completely different level. But I knew that, just didn't see him practice like this before. I have a loooong was to go :D
    I paired up with Sett this time, evading his tsuki just by stepping back just enough so he couldn't reach and then the second just to move the head tot he side so he wouldn't conenct while simultanously countering with a punch from the inside, lifting the foot.
    I got into the pattern and actually had fun. I had a feeling it would be really easy to get punched in my face, but as we were going faster and faster, I never did and I really had fun. Though my twisting the foot could definitely use some work. I felt I would always drag it a little bit forward on in a small circle while turning it.
    But I felt a pat on my back and sensei's: "Very good!" ^^ That was encouraging again.

Third block - sensei Ernie Molyneux
    Sensei Ernie doesn't have a strong voice, so I was extra happy to be in the front. I have to say, sensei's classes tend to usually be quite challenging for me, one way or another. Be it relatively complex combinations which I struggle with (simply not my forte), or like today, improvisation. We practiced Sepai kata, but not working on details within the kata, but trying to incorporate the techniques into kumite. Trying modified bunkai, working with anlges, distance, etc. To be honest, I don't remember many techniques from this block, which I am very sad about. It was bacause I didn't have much time ot note then down, because I fried my brain thinking about any techqiue from the kata and defend with it against different attacks, which, however, my partner threw rather randomly. On top of me struggling with this, it was nearly impossible. Another, probably not a small reason that a friend from ta different dojo - a sensei about to grade for 4th dan caught me to translate for him. In these seminars, someone from the group would be often asked to translate to the hosting country's language, but nearly everyone seemed to understand and those few who could not probably didn't want to bother everyone. So I translated simultaneously, which requires quite some thinking and actually makes it harder for me to remember what sensie was saying. It is such a pity as this was a very nice block, too.

Fourth block - sensei Henrik Larsen
    Last block for today. Sensei had us go through Gekisai Dai Ichi kata a few times, correcting a few things. Then he told us how to skip the final etiquette and start the kata agian from the last position. Then he told us to chain 10 Gekisai Dai Ichis like this, all full power, full effort, not stopping for even a second, skipping the etiquette that would provide a break. It was tougher than it sounded. It was, after all, at least five minutes of doing techniques full power. Hard to admit it, but my limbs didn't want to listen too well. I did my best to keep the strikes sharp, shouted the kiai loud, but I was usin my back muscles for the strikes more and more. Which, I think, is actually good. But it was still exhausting.
    After this ordeal, when all of us got fairly sweaty, we did a couple of Gekisai Dai Nis. And Saifas. Then sensei showed us how to chain the katas in a similar fashion and told us to do Gakisai Dai Ichi - Gakisai Dai Ni -Saifa katas chained, three rounds - so again, 9 katas, ful effort. Wow.
    Then we were asked to make groups of four. There weren't enough people, though, so I we had a group of three - me and two friends - one was the one I translated to, so I kept doing that, and the other wasn't that confident with English, either, so she listened in, too. One half of our group (me and the sensei) did Shisochin kata, while the other half (the remaining friend) would hold in a high plank position for that duration, then we switched. Then we did the same for Sanseru bunkai (which I messed up, I forgot how many times I turned and remembered the starting direction wrong, so I ended up facing back), then Sepai kata. I was slowly easying into the plank position, keeping in mind the push-up instruction I got at hte kettelbell gym - keep shoulder baldes to the sides, legs stretched, butt tight. I was trembling a bit, but didn't struggle that much with the position and I think I alighed my body best for the last round.
    Then we had one last kaishu gata left - Seiyunchin. Sensei said we would practice it separately in three groups. I kept translating to the friend - our sensei, a rough man in his fifties. Sensei Henrik said that the guys would perform the kata first, all women come to the side and sit down. I was telling my friend, as I was leaving, but he either heard wrong or just had a brain forg by this time and didn't register what I was saying, although I reperated it once or twice with the emphasis on "women sit down". When he was still following me, though, I very illustratively shooed him away ("Shoo, shoo!"). And do you know how sometimes you want to say or do something silently or inconspicuously and suddenly everyone is silent and everyone hears you. Yeah :D I think sensei had some comment on it, but he basically just laughed and approved :D
    Then came the time for the guys to sit down and we did our Seiyunchin in a significantly smaller group. Lastly, sensei told for everyone who is younger than 35 to do one more Seiyunchin. I stayed, but I saw my friend with a slightly confused expression watch some guys to come back up and he did, too, so I just shooed him away again. XD
    And we all did one Tensho kata as a finish.

That was it for today. An amazing, 5-hour training. I burned 1750 kcal. The last class was the toughest. It was nice to be able to learn new things and practice with friends old and new (from England, Denmark,...).
    After training finished, we helped with organization a little. The dan grading was to take place in half an hour, but in the original school not too far away, but we needed to transport all the grading candidates without cars there. Therefore we did not shower, yet, and divided the group. In the end we did not bring anyone to the grading, instead took one guest back to his hotel.
    Sett and I then went home to shower and returned to the school to help with anything that was needed. We helped to take the tables, waters, etc. back from the gym after grading and had some free times, so we played cards. Some napped or rested, just switching their brian off.

Later in the evening we had a Sayonara party. We went a bit early to again check things and ask the stuff to bring more tables and chairs as we expected 86 people and aroudn 10 sport were missing. We ate after sensei's arrived and the grading results were then announced. There were quite a few people grading. All our candidates were successful. The Czech Republic thus has 3 new shodan (1st dan) one of whom lives abroad, though, 2 new sandan (3rd dan), one of whom lives abroad, again, the friend whom I translated to and we kept making fun of him that he felt like a 30 year ofl woman earned his yondan (4th dan) and above all, our sensei, our country's Chief instructor passed his rokudan (6th dan) grading! :) Awesome!
    Bacause 3 out of 4 memebers of the IOGKF executive committee were teaching at this gasshuku, it was one of the few events where there were senior gradings - for 6th dan and above. It was also the reason why we had so many high-grade guests. At least 5 people passed their nanadan (7th dan) grading :)
    It was a good occassion to celebrate, so the successful gradees (is that a word?) would buy a round of shots. I was happy about the first, didn't mind the second, reluctant about the third and resolutely refused the fourth. I also had two glasses of wine before, after all. As for the fourst I got a shot of something of golden color. I asked what it was, since I was drinking vodka till now. Sensei told me not to ask useless questions and just drink. So I gulped it, realized I was the only one this time and just got laughed at since when was whiskey to be drunk like this. Who said to not ask, and drink? I don't usually drink whiskey. How would I know it is one? :rolleyes::oops:
    Anyway, it was time to stop while I was still ok. So we left at around 22:30.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    Frodocious likes this.