N00B Question On Rolling.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by JonWal, Dec 3, 2014.

1. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Hi all, Recently due to work related issues I've had to pack in training in Karate due to class times interfering with my new job role.

As an alternative I've managed to find a very good BJJ school which is local to me. I'm 3 lessons in so far and loving it. I'm battered and bruised, but the adrenaline rush from rolling is addictive, so I think I've found my new path in MA.

There are obviously hundreds of questions running through my head, and they will probably end up on here at some point.

The one I have at present though, which I cannot find any information on as I dont know what things are called. When rolling with someone, the position when I'm on top, but between the guys legs, closed guard (legs wrapped around my waist and his feet crossed behind you?) What would the position I'm in be called. I thought it would be called 'inside closed guard' or something like that?

I''ve rolled a few times now, but I always seem to end up in this position. Is there anything I can do to directly attack from here, apart from trying to move to mount, or side mount for an attack?

Sorry, for the stupid question, I understand there's probably better options by changing my position and looking to attack from there, but seeing as im stuck in this position for now, I was wondering if there is anything worth attempting from here.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Hey! Glad you're loving it! It gets more addictive as you learn more and start pitting strategies against other people's. Inside closed guard is a fine description, inside his or her guard is also good, you'll be spending like a lot of time there, so don't worry that you're constantly winding up in this position. There are a few attacks that you can conduct on an opponent from there, but in general they are low percentage. Your opponent is able to control your weight, distance and posture with their legs (or at least they have a good shot of doing so). In general, keep trying to pass guard. It's an insanely important skill and one you're going to want to develop as soon as possible, then refine for likeā€¦ y'know, fifteen years.

3. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Thanks for your reply, my first attempt at attacking their arm from that position ended up with me getting armbarred after they quickly shrimped out to the side.. or something, so I didnt try that again...

I am consciously trying to evaluate where im going wrong, but they've probably got strategies and high percentage counters for everything I attempt at the moment. Although im tapping often, I like to think (no, not really) that I'm not making the same mistakes twice :)

It's a steep learning curve. I'll work on passing their guard for a while.. like 15 years ;-p

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yeah, no worries man, that's how it happens. I try to group my BJJ knowledge (limited as it is - I am also a white belt, but we have some high ranking folks out here) into two categories: specific knowledge like how to counter an arm bar, and theoretical knowledge that I apply to bigger picture situations. My theoretical suggestions for guard, as just, bare bones, overall advice is to maintain good posture. Don't go into wrestler mode and just start shoving forward, that doesn't do anything besides make the other person uncomfortable. Work on standing passes. They're going to feel awkward, because you'll be tired and want to be lazy. You're going to get swept a lot before you figure out your balance, etc. But they're higher percentage (for me anyway).

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...most of the legit attacks from being inside guard are leg locks so no point going for their arms.
    You aren't really in a position to attack anything else until you pass guard or create a scramble (or a scramble is created when you get partially swept).
    Best advice is to keep your arms close (don't get caught extending one or having one arm in and one arm out), good posture and base.
    You can pass over, under or around the legs..standing or kneeling.
    I'd say first thing to establish is a semi-reliable way of splitting the guard (knee in butt for example) and then getting to combat base (that's what I know it as) so they can't reclaim closed guard again.
    Then pick a pass you like and work that. I used to like the toreando (sp?) guard pass as I liked movement based grappling rather than control based (never strong enough for that).

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You need to work on staying safe, breaking guard and passing their now open guard.

1) keep your head above you hips and have you hands on the guard'ers body to stop them sitting up.
    You can either have both in the armpits, or staggered hands holding their gi, dont hold it too far away or cross your hands.
    2) you break guard on your knees by moving backwards 45 degrees, if in doubt move more. Once its broken bring one knee up to stop it reclosing.
    3) work under, around, and through passes equally, but to start through passes are the easiest from your initial position.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just keep rolling. that's the best thing you can do at this point.

8. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Good advice here and you will be ending up in this position a lot and you will be triangled, arm barred, etc. a lot. It's part of the process and tap often and early and try to relax.

Again like others have said you need to practice and drill passing the guard from this position. Don't try to attack your partner while you are in his guard right now and you most likely will only put yourself in a worse position.

My advice is keep those elbows in tight, open your knees, sit back and maintain your posture then start your pass. Look up and not down at your partner. A lot of times you might think you have good posture but when you are looking down even a little bit your posture is a little forward and its enough for your partner to pull you forward and break your structure.

Oh and did I mention keep those elbows in tight ;)

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Learn good posture and passing skills early on. They are some of the hardest things to do. Once you've got that you'll be laughing sincenobody is great at it at comps at the white belt level.