Mystery Muscle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Verx, May 20, 2007.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I've noticed something MAPers. My neck/collar bone muscles are huge (IMO) but I've never done any exercises to build up my neck/collar muscles. I do a few push ups now and then and go to Karate often. So how do you think those muscles got there?

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

could just be your natural build Verxter.

What is your Dad like, is he well built there like you...or was he when he was younger?!

3. Verx

My grandad worked 24 hour shifts in a cement factory back in the day. My dad used to do a lot of cricket and walked quite abit when he was young. Both came from a village in a warm country. Apart from that no both have big bellies now. :p

4. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

This is something I've always wondered, as well, except I'm the total opposite. I deadlift alot, even tried doing shrugs for quite a while, but my traps have always appeared comparatively small when viewed from the front. However, some people seem to naturally have really good/well defined traps. :confused: I have a slight theory on this, which perhaps someone could complete or totally dismiss, I don't really care. :D On looking at my collarbones, it appears as though they angle up at almost a 45 degree angle, whereas some people seem to have a collarbone which runs parallel to the floor i.e. straight across the top of the pectoral, thereby accentuating the entire muscle above. It's kninda hard to explain without pictures. Is there any truth in this, or am I talking total rubbish? :eek:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

repeat after me people...

g e n e t i c s

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

They aren't muscles. They're tumors. That's the only explanation.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Actually, aliens getting ready to pop out of his torso would be another valid explanation. Remember, in the gym, no one can hear your scream!

8. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

Aren't those muscles responsible for elevating the shoulder? Lifting your arms would seem to recruit them... Y'know, like, when you punch...

9. Verx

Bwahahaha you guys know how to cheer me up. :D

10. Hiroji

your mum didnt used to hang you up on the washing line when you were a kid did she, with the pegs on your collar bone muscles.... :cool: :D :p

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I think my alien sugestion is the best so far :D

12. Hiroji

If i didnt have so much freakin revision to do...i would think of something to better it... :D

13. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

I noticed the same thing happen to me. Before pic and after pic from about 4 months of Muay Thai, main noticeable difference was the traps/shoulders became much better defined and friggin huge.

So yeah...I'm gonna go with punching on this one.

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

sounds like you need those big neck muscles to hold up that big melon of yours :eek: :p :D

15. Verx

Personally, I don't it's to do with punching. We're taught to punch from the body so not much shoulder/ neck use. Sometimes I try to force them down because I keep on tensing them up without thinking. It maybe to do with holding guard. Uhhh... the best explanations were the tumor and the alien, maybe I have both?

16. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

I assume we are talking about the muscle between the neck and collarbone? Mine is quite big for my size (i'm alarmingly thin lol). My collarbone runs parrellel to the floor. Perhaps you're right and this makes the muscle look stronger than it is, because its bigger?
    I don't do much in the way of weights or fitness at all, i have enough trouble trying to balance on my back leg without weighing anymore :D

17. Nurofen

Nurofen Valued Member

Maybe you have aliens with tumors in your muscles.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Is this you?

[​IMG]

19. Verx

How did you get that? I was sure I got rid of it that night when I...