My weight routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sgttom, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

2. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Another question,
    If I lifted weights on Monday and am still sore from it on Wednesday should I still lift, or should I wait until the soreness is completely gone?
    Thanks!

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I would say yes, presuming soreness is not injury. Delayed muscle soreness is normal. Just be sure to warmup progressively with range of motion exercises. My main lifting days are Mondays and Wednesdays, though I do different lifts on each day, eg Mondays for Deadlift and Bench Press, Wednesdays for Squat and OH Press. Plus other stuff of course :)

4. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think there is an injury, I am not really that sore. I guess I will be lifting today then. :)

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

A quick check I like to do is grab an empty barbell or a broom handle, do the movement you wanted to do at the gym.

If DOMS impinges your ability to do the movement don’t lift, if it does your probably alright.

Not the best check, but it works for me. I always do extra warm up if im a bit sore too.

6. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Sounds like a good idea. I was able to complete my workout with no problems. I have no extra soreness or anything now so I think I am good.

7. mortimer657

mortimer657 Valued Member

Not bad as routines go. I personally wouldnt be overly worried about adding in isolation work myself. I'd have opted for somethine along the lines of:

PULL-PUSH-LEGS+Abs (Set/Rep Scheme of 5X5, 3X5 or 5X3):

Monday: Pull:
    Deads
    Barbell Row
    Weighted Chins or Pull ups

Wednesday: Push:
    Bench
    Military
    Weighted Dip (from dip bars)

Friday: Legs+Abs:
    Squats
    SLDL (Stiff Legged DeadLifts aka Romanian deadlift)
    Weighted Crunch or Hanging Leg Raise (3 X 10-12 as opposed to lower rep work)

This routine includes the big compound lifts, maximising your time in the gym. The need for isolation work is negated as the big multi joint lifts cover the whole of the bodies musculature. Set/Rep scheme is only given as a guide ..you could, for example opt for perhaps...3 X 6, 4 X 6, 3 X 10 etc etc. Your choice.

Another routine, this time based on a two day full body routine would be : (Set/Rep as per above 3 day Pull/Push/Legs+Abs)

Monday:
    Squat
    Bench
    Row
    Weighted Crunch (3X10-12)

Thursday:
    Deads
    Military
    Weighted Chin or Pull up
    Hanging Leg raise (3 X 10-12)

This routine, again, covers the whole of the body's musculature and utilises the big compound lifts, again, making best use of your time in the gym (with regards to weight training).

Again which type of weights routine you prescribe yourself will depend entirely on your goals. The above would be fine for someone looking to gain mass or significant strength gains by keeping the emphasis on increasing the poundage lifted.

For the combat athlete however I wouldnt reccomend the above for someone looking to maximise their abilities as a combat athlete. Over use of routines geared purely towards for example, Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy aka "pretty disco muscles" will impact negatively on athletic attributes such as explosiveness, power, speed and strength endurance ..the same for an over focus on maximal strength routines (look into works and studies by Siff and Zatsiorsky for more info).

In this instance Far better in my opinion, would be to create a routine with a greater focus on dynamic/eplosive strength. by all means include movements geared toward raw strength (which is perhaps of interest to wrestlers, mma grappling etc where brute strength comes into play), but keep the focus on lifting explosively. Strength Endurance can then be addressed by the inclusion of Integrated Circuit Training, GPP work and such like on another training (non weights) day.

Just my two pence worth.

Morti.

8. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Thank you for the advice mortimer657. I don't do any sports though so I don't have any specific goals in that area.