My weight routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sgttom, Apr 22, 2011.

1. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Hey Guys, I have been lifting weights inconsistently since the spring of 2010. I have tried a few different routines and here is the one I am doing now. I am 16 by the way.

I have been doing this Routine for 12 weeks now, I just added Curls and Lunges this week though. I do two different workouts, which I am listing as A and B. I workout 3 times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I added in how many pounds I am currently lifting. Week one I started with 10 pounds on the bar and would increase 5 pounds every workout. The bar that I use heavier weights for was damaged and I had to use my other one for a while, which I only had 80 pounds of weight for. I have fixed that now though.
    Anyways........

Workout A consists of:
    Standing Military Press: 55 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps
    Deep Squats: 108 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:
    Bent Rows: 45 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:
    Lunges: 45 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:

Workout B consists of:
    Bench Press: 83 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:
    Deep Squats: 108 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:
    Deadlift: 98 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:
    Curls: 30 pounds 4 sets of 5 reps:

I take about a 1 to 1/2 minute break in between sets. I have timed both workouts and they seem to take 45 mins to an hour to complete, which seems like a good amount of time. After I lift I do an assortment of stretches, which I do not know the names of :confused: :). I hold them each for 30 seconds. I haven't been doing a cardio lately. I do plan to add sprinting to my workout very soon.

As of now I don't take any Martial Arts nor do I practice them. I plan to in the future but as of now I just find myself too busy for it.

Anyways does all this sound good? Does it seem I am not lifting enough. Maybe I am doing things in the wrong order?
    All advice or comments appreciated. :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Looks good to be honest.

I lacks veritcal pulling but that's no big deal. I expect with decent eating and determination you'll make some decent gains on the weights.

3. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Thanks for the input! Good to hear. Anyways, I wanted to add pull ups but I don't have a pull up bar. Been thinking on making one though.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

One thing you will need to reconsider, as you get more weight on the bar, is your rest periods. At the moment 1 minute breaks between sets are obviously ok, but as your poundage increases you'll need to increase the length of the rest periods.

5. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Alright, how would you suggest I judge my rest periods though?

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Needs more curls...alot more curls you have to tone those biceps!!!!!

Seriously though, that routine is lookin good

7. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Thanks! On that note though, do different exercises need different amounts of repetitions. I've heard some say leg centered exercises should get more reps and arms less. I believe Arnold Schwarzenegger said that, so its probably a body building thing though.

8. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Jim Wendler says to go heavy on power lifts such as Bench, Military press, squat and deadlift, while BBing everything else to maintain a balance. Usually it means twice the reps, so if you bench for 5, row for 10.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

When I'm doing my heavier working sets I use 3 to 4 minutes between sets. One way to judge is that you should be able to complete all your sets, but the last couple of lifts on your last set should be a struggle.

What I find is that if I'm doing 3x5, I complete all the first set with no problem, struggle a little on the last lift of the second set and have to grit my teeth for the last 2 lifts of the third set.

So a squat session would be something like:
    1x5 10kg 1 minute rest
    1x5 20kg 1 minute rest
    1x5 30kg 2 minute rest
    1x3 40kg 2 minute rest
    1x2 50kg 3 minute rest
    1x5 60kg 3 minute rest
    1x5 60kg 3 minute rest
    1x5 60kg

Note the weights used are just examples of a progressive warm up to the main working sets.

10. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Thanks for the advice, sounds good.

That makes sense, thank you.

11. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

.... I just fell in love with you a little bit... jus sayin...

12. Bigmikey

First dont do the Bodybuilder vs everybody else thing. If you're out to change your physique in anyway and are lifting weights to do it, I hate to break it to you but YOU ARE a bodybuilder by definition... welcome! Come right in, cookies and juice are by the fridge.

You want a way to guage rest periods? I have the best one ever. After each set, drop and do 50 crunches then rest 30 seconds to 1 minute. That way you get as much ab work as you can stand AND still let the muscle group worked rest!

I scread your post but didnt see anything refering to your goal. Whats your end goal? Size? Strength? Stamina? All three? Training for a specific goal like strength will allow for a greater rest period than training for stamina so knowing the goal will help greatly.

At 16 I might also suggest trying to do a fair amount of bodyweight work. Your bones still havent healed and your body isnt fully matured yet, AND given your natural level of testosterone right now I'd wager you could do a great deal just by heaving yhour body weight around.

13. Osu sgttom,

Please take a seat and a deep breath...

Inconsistency does not sound good. :(
    Why did you change a few different routines along the way?
    You've been at it for a whole year, where are you at right now? Have you met your goals? are you disappointed with the results you've had?

........ I could go on all day long, but I hate to **** on your parade; any great routine must be connected to your present situation and to where you want to be at in the future.
    Furthermore, the best of the bettest routine the good fellows of MAP can give you won't be worth rotten peanuts if you don't consistently do the work!

okay ---- now that I've said that, would you like to share where you are at right now, what did not work for you in the last year & what you are trying to achieve with your training...
    Then, I am sure someone will step in with great, immediately employable advice. :)

Osu!

PS: if you don't have a PU bar, you can find anything sturdy enough to hold your weight & start pulling. (I do mine in the park on two tree branches that are at the perfect height and angle when I walk my little dog ;) - I even get the benefit of fat grips!)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Mine are done on a swing at the kids park.
    :woo:

15. Bigmikey

I posted an article on my blog and fitness sites ages ago that pertained to things one can do outdoors when the weather permits. Maybe I should carry it over?

16. Osu BigMikey,

Great teaser post BigMikey, I can't find the link to your blog... :D

Osu!

17. Bigmikey

LOL, it wasnt meant to be. I may have posted the article here. Lemme look. If I haven't I will :)

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good tip.

Check out The Members Workout Thread for some great ideas on body weight exercises and exercies with very little equipment.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94114

19. sgttom

sgttom Valued Member

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys it is really appreciated!

Ok, sorry about that :).

I may try that.

I know that inconsistency is no good and will lead to me getting no where. I pretty much jumped into the whole working out thing without anything about it. I know now, it is always a stupid idea to get into anything without reading alot about it. Anyhow I started out doing things like lifting soup cans 250 times and such. As I took the time to read more I kept changing my workout. Like anything their are quite a few differing opinions on what and what not to do. So I was a bit confused hence why I kept trying different things and being inconsistent. I should have made up my mind on what to do before I started working out I guess. Live and learn, right?

As far as if I am making progress and am happy with my plan, I don't think I have been doing it long enough to tell. The only two exercises I lift my maximum on right now are Bench Press and Military Press. I guess I will see if I am able make a gain and lift more in a couple weeks or so.

The thing about going to a park to do pull ups and such is aren't you supposed to do all your strength exercises in one period?

As for my goals, I train for strength, stamina, and health. You can't really do both strength and stamina at the same time though, right?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  20. Osu,

Ahhhh, great to read your reply sgttom... I like the progression from the can of soup to a complete routine as presented earlier... indeed, you did change the routine! :D:D

Now that your story and goals are clearer, get ready to receive good & competent advice from the big guns of MAP. :)

Osu!