My Training Upset

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by wayofthedragon, Mar 28, 2005.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

My MA training has been stopped in it's tracks once again. I was suppose to start ****o ryu karate and hakku ryu jujitsu training. I went to a few classes But because of being away on a ship a lot since I moved in the new area, I was unable to continue. Now I'm wondering if I still want continue to do this training when I get back in town and get a little more time. I was thinking that I should try something else being that this is a traditional style school and I won't be able to dedicate the time I need to dedicate in it because of my line of work. I was thinking about just hanging it up and going this mma school since that's the type of training i'm used to. I think I may get more out of it. It's right down the road from me as well....here is a link to the schools web page. It seems cool. I visted it once and it seems cool. What do you think http://www.easternacademy.com/

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Your gonna get a bunch of responses to goto the MMA school, as it seems there is a huge population of MMA guys reading the general topics forum all the time, but I vote for trying the jujutsu stuff. Based soley on the fact that you havent done anything like it before, and, as someone who went through the same situation, I feel its a good way to build your skills. Sometimes you have to remove yourself from your normal schedule to view things from another perspective. If anything you'll learn more about fighting, whether you decide to stick with it or not. Dont do the same thing all the time, its your duty as a martial artist to try new things. Just my 2 cents
    Ryan

3. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

do what best suits you, as long as you continue to train, learn, and grow as a martial artist and a person, then you are being true to the way... Just never quit training... Life will sometimes force you into making the right decisions, so go for it man... Good luck with this...

4. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

purple belt under Saulo Riberio, I'd say he's legit!

They seem to drop their hands something shocking when throwing kicks though ...

Looks alright!

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

just do whatever is closest and has a good teacher.

6. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Well I'm don't know how much you move around in the Coast Guard, but in the Air Force I move about every 3 years, which makes it very difficult to settle down in a particular style. It seems like everytime I find a place I like I move again and then I have to start over with a completely different style. So if you are going to moving around alot then I would suggest taking something that you can find anywhere like MMA, because if you get stationed in some hick town in Texas like I did for a while you're not going to be able to find ****o Ryu Karate. But if you're not going to be moving anytime soon, then just pick whichever one you like best.

7. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

^^^is that Jonny Cage in your avy?

8. DEATHskull

Heck yes. He's only like the sweetest Mortal Kombat character ever.

9. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

My suggestion is go with whats close and available. At the tender age of 22 you have lots of time available to learn new styles in the future. And skills gained in MMA programs (or any other well taught environment) will only help you in future martial endevours.

- Matt

10. wayofthedragon

I was strongly considering the traditional stuff. Being that I never did any "long term" traditional training before. But I'm begining to think the mma stuff may be better for me. I've done all of those styles before for about 5years except for the FMA, so that will be something new for me. Thanx for all of your input. More good news though is that I am begining to realize that there is quite a few people on my ship who are martial artist. Bjj, Kickboxing, Taekwando, boxing, and jujitsu is all that I have ran into so far. When I'm not on land I plan on draining them for knowledge if they will allow it:D

11. wayofthedragon

Every 4 years, however since this is my first unit i wont be staying here long either after I make rate, but it is possible that I could be some where in the area once I make rate. Possible but not all that possible.....................

12. DEATHskull

Then don't do any style that you're not going to be able to find wherever you get stationed in the future. I have had that happen to me twice already, that's why I was suggesting something generic like MMA.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

If he learned under Dan Inosanto, I'll bet it's a legit school.

If not, leave and practice by punching hard objects. :D :Angel: