My theory regarding BJJ and Japanese Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by GojuShotokan, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I know an ITF TKD guy who goes to my club and beats the snot out of me. I'll reserve judgement until I spar with more.

2. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

He bulldozed me. It's not like I was caught by surprise:rolleyes: And yes wrestlers are incredibly strong and not easy to shake off. The fact that he got up after slamming his head hard is a testament to how tough they are.

I didn't claim any superiority over wrestling. As usual people put words in my mouth. What type of club are you talking about - MMA?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So what exactly happened and what context/situation was it?

4. itf-taekwondo

It was 10 years ago.. A spontanously arranged competition of wrestling. People were bored and wanted it. Simple as that.

I remember even back then the claim: boxing beats karate/TKD/Kung fu -While olympic wrestling beats them all.

5. Pretty In Pink

I didn't claim anything either. We train in kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, CSW, and kali through out the week. There is one MMA class at the weekend.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's beginning to sound like the GR guy immediately took you down and you subsequently imagined that a concrete floor would have stopped him at that point. I'm just guessing. Am I close?

If so, that doesn't really support your argument at all.

7. itf-taekwondo

No. He tried to take me down and failed. Instead he went down head first.

Btw this stuff about being thrown on concrete as effective as a strike is not true. Unless the guy falls head first like the wrestler did(that was inside), the opponent will get back up again right away. I have floored heavy guys doin sommersaults and landing on their back on concrete, and they got up. They would NOT get up ifI would have punched or kicked them in the face full force. Thats why I said striking is more effective against several opponents and takes less time.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This proves you are either A) clueless, or B) trolling.

If you take someone down you either maintain control of a limb, follow them down and apply a restraint, or monitor from a position of safety (head end) in case they try to get up.

If you throw someone and then wait for them to get up you are more foolish than you appear.

9. itf-taekwondo

I was referring to throws - JUDO. When I threw the guy we were one one, and I waited for him to get up, close the distance and get thrown again (which is exactly what happened).

If this had been several guys and I attempted to follow up my throw, the other ones could assault me, had it been a gang of competent individuals.

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

[​IMG]

11. Pretty In Pink

So landing on your head into concrete is less damaging than being punched? Cool story bro, needs more dragons though....

12. itf-taekwondo

He got up fast. Landning on concrete doesn't mean anything unless I basically lift the dude up and throw him down.

13. itf-taekwondo

I wrote, UNLESS he lands head first on concrete. That's a big if.

14. Simon

This still shows a lack of understanding.

You are now assuming you can knock everyone out with a punch; a punch that will knock them to the ground and keep them there while you deal with their mates.

How many people have you knocked out, how many fights against multiple opponents, how many went to the ground, how many aggressors stayed on the ground once you'd hit them, how did their friends react?

15. itf-taekwondo

Supposing the striker is good at striking (which is everyones ambition), I prefer wokring on that, as opposed to simply being able to throw someone on concrete. I will work on that more than throws.

16. Simon

You've avoided the questions.

17. itf-taekwondo

I can't speak for the generating power in my strikes against an a MMA fighter, but that doesn't matter now does it? We are most likely dealing with street thugs.

The chances of an opponent not getting up are higher if I punch him full force. Am I crazy in holding to this belief?

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Grappling isn't about throwing or ground work

like striking its about control

tying, untying, gaining dominance of a close range, Getting off the floor or your opponent quickly = these are all things i've spent the first and last quarter of any class of bjj/wrestling/judo ive been to in multiple countries by instructors of vastly different backgrounds and nationalities.

during the last two classes i did we spent the entire class sparring with the aim of creating distance, controlling the situation and getting up safely.

19. Simon

Still avoiding the questions.

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's what you leave out.

Why are you asking me if there is a higher chance of an opponent getting up if you punch him.

You've done the training, have the answers and can back up your claims with facts, can't you?

20. itf-taekwondo

Yes, punching is more effective time wise and connectively.

Now your turn: Throw the individual on concrete - landing on his back, or punching him. Both executed equally well. Make your pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.