My theory on the perfect diet.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KidCanFight, Oct 6, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

SOrry if this has been posted before.

I think the perfect diet is natural stuff. God made humans (or we evolved from monkeys, it doesnt matter). He made us food to eat. Meat, fruit, vegetables etc.

It would be logical that these things are made for us to eat, giving us all the needed vitamins and not making us fat.

God did not make trees that grow Coke, chocolate, lollies, and other unhealthy 'crap'. Therefore, we shouldnt eat it.

Any thoughts?

2. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

My view on 'the perfect diet'

There isn't one.

If you're going to follow the creation story, I wouldn't bother, not unless if you can swallow the part of the story that says he created light, then he created the sun like a few days later.

Why shouldn't you drink coke, eat cakes? Why shouldn't you have fun? Just do it in moderation, that's all. Did god make protein shake? Did he make vitamin and mineral supplements?

Who says eating fruit and meat can't make you fat? It contains energy, so if you eat enough of it you will get fat. Are you telling me that people in ancient times that didn't have lollies and other 'crap' never got fat?

3. KidCanFight

You are obviously smarter than me.

I am just suggesting that most "all natural" stuff is coincidentally healthy.

I dont have anything against eating Coke and chocolate. I do it. Everyone does.

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Just remember, deadly nightshade is a fruit, laburnam pods grow on trees, tomato and potato leaves are highly toxic, some mushrooms will stop you liver from functioning or give you hallucinations, polar bear liver will make you go blind and possibly kill you, These are all natural so natural = good for you is not always true.

5. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry, but don't assume things, you have no idea how smart/dumb I am. In fact if you asked me the same question in real life, I might not answer it as well and 'intellectually' spoken, hehe.

good one, though (I'm smarter than someone else, as if! :D )

I'd say most things natural are relatively good for you (and I'm afraid I'll have to follow the creation story with the ninjas, the monkeys and of course the ninjamonkeys) because of the way humans have evolved with our environment. If there's a particular nutrient that a plant had, surely over 1000s and 1000s of years our body would accidentally figure out a way of using that nutrient to our advantage.

So in general I guess it's safe to say, most 'natural' food would be good for you because (and it doesn't matter whether you're athiest or thiest on this one) humans were meant to eat from nature. It's just along the way we've figured out how to make our own little foods, like, mmm, maltesers, (drooling everywhere).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry but your post doesn't wash. As much as I maintain a healthy diet and stay away from the bad fats, excess sugar and sodium and junk food... I'd have to say you have a warped idea about what is crap.

Let's take a look:

1)
    Hmm... lots of naturable, edible stuff that will kill you quicker than greased moose poop. Most of your industrial/agro grade herbicides are natural. And you sure wouldn't want them in your groundwater tables or in your food.
    You wouldn't run around eating the leaves and stems of the nightshade plant... you end up dead in short order. Nettles... yeah they'd go down the old cake hole with a bit work... but it wouldn't be pleasant... yet they're natural enough. The gritty moist scum on the underside of the rim of a toilet bowl is natural enough... but you wouldn't scrape under a public bog with you fingernail and then suck out the muck and think 'mmmm good & natural".

2)
    This one in regards to meat can be argued from many angles. Paleontologists and physiologists have gone round and round on much of this both sides using current human physiology to argue for either side. Evolutionary biologist's have had a go as well... the best that can be had at the current moment is that like all things - meat in moderation is not going to single handedly wipe you out. On the other hand... it's primarily the way in which meat is prepared and what goes into the animals that are then processed into the meat that we eat that are the real issues.

3)
    Well in a sense he did... (if you buy into the 'he' route at all) - the cola nut is perfectly natural and has been in use for thousands of years. Originally there was some cola nut in Coke, thus the name Coca-Cola... originally a mixture of sugar water, cola nut extract, carmel flavoring and cocaine. In fact coca leaf has been used for thousands of years by many different peoples... perfectly natural... but for some reason western people have taken it and made a mess of it and now you have crackheads.

But back to Coke... coke is primarily water, sugar and corn syrup. A bit of carbonation and caramel color and a gazillion dollars in marketing and you have something more widespread and more popular than Jesus. Coke is not going to kill you... a shabby diet with little self control will. American Super-Size me 64 ouncers every day will... free All-Day refill's will... when you'r drinking more Coke than water... there is a problem.

4)
    Sorry but you're dead wrong here.
    For the choco-uneducated yes... but what they're eating (hershey's, snickers, mars bars etc.) have very little to do with real chocolate.
    Pure chocolate has nothing wrong in it for you. Nada. It's 100% natural. Look at most of you chocolate bars in the super market.. do you see any % listings of the cocoa solids or cocoa mass anywhere? Probably not if you're markets are like many markets in the western world... their idea of chocolate is a lump of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil that has some colorings and some flavorings and skads of sugar and probably very very little actual chocolate in it.

Chocolate comes from the Cocoa beans that are grown on moutain farms the world over... from the Philipines to Mexico to Africa. Many people that grow up in chocolate growing areas don't neccessarily eat their chocolate sweet. Moctezuma payed his Aztec warriors with wafers of cocoa. He more than once almost had to put down and uprising when cocoa payment was late getting to his troops. We grew up as kids drinking it hot and bitter with a crushed chilli in it or black pepper... no different from how it was drunk in Moctezuma's day! In the Phillipines many kids in poor and rich area's a like have chocolate everyday for breakfast in the form of champurado... rice mixed with cocoa.

So if you consider crap, sugar laden candies that have very little real cocoa mass content chocolate... then you have been sold down the river by the big corporations that manufacture that crap. Even at that... a Snickers bar or a Mars Bar every now and then isn't going to kill you. But if your serious about your health why cut out one of the true pleasures on this earth... quality chocolate. There is no point to buy chocolate that has any less than 70% cocoa mass in it. You're only cheating yourself. Skip the low quality milk chocolate and acquire a taste for quality dark chocolate - or better yet learn and try how much of the rest of the world eats chocolate.:D

Again... it comes down your personal habits... while generally I stay away from foods that'll cause a massive sugar rush.. now and then... they aren't going to kill you. What get's defined as crap often comes down to what is pre-packaged and marketed as an easy purchase item with no back end work (read as prepartation) needed when the consumer gets it home.

Come to think of it.. it's time for a bit of chocolate... I like it like I like my women... dark and extra fine... to be exact a bit of Lindt 'Dark Extra Fine' with the cocoa solids at a 70% minimum.:D

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'm going to back Holocaust up here! ;)

I can see what he's saying. Natural v Processed foods there no comparison, in GENERAL.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ahhh... I'm feeling better already. Agreed... it's generally the processing that becomes the point where nutrients and vitamins creep out and synthetic chemicals and scary amounts of the wrong things (sugars, fats, sodium) creap in! In general the prices also creeps upward as well.

Now... that being said... natual rim of the bog scum under you nail can be all natural - but you still don't want to suck it from under you nail if you mistakenly scrape the rim of a public bog. :eek:

9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I think the fact that we used to easily survive on natural stuff and a lot of the greeks had a very Adonai build from natural foodstuffs prooves that natural food can easily support us. Just these days everyone wants everything now and everyone wants to eat what they want when they want it in 2 minutes.
    Hardly any people can cook properly that i know of lol

10. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

In either case, it's an interesting topic Holocaust, and interesting threads like this isn't something we get here a lot. Now, if you asked for some help on your program.... B-o-r-i-n-g :).

11. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

The perfect diet is one that is healthy and you can stick to.

12. KidCanFight

When I said eat natural, I didnt mean grab something off the nearest tree and eat it. I mean eat natural things that are foods.

13. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

And did God make weight benches and equipment or gear for whatever martial art it is that you're in? I mean, really, you can't use "since God didn't make it, it's not good." Did he make the comp you're askin' these questions on?

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not to mention the athletics and military training that we don't have nowadays...

When does food stop being natural? Cooking something is not a natural process, so should everything be eaten raw?

15. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Not that I want to get into the whole, 'athiest vs. thiest' thing... If you believe in him, you might say he didn't make weight benches, but he made the physiological changes in your body possible to increase muscle, decrease MSD or do a number of other things.

I don't think this thread was supposed to be taken quite so literally, it's definitely an interesting change from Gym rants from Combatant all the bloody time :)