My story of joining TKD!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TigerAnsTKDLove, Dec 7, 2003.

1. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

out of curiosity why did you artists join tkd? the reason i joined tkd was because my ex boyfriend punched me in the face leaving a nasty bruise on my face for weeks. and i knew right then and there i needed self-defense. my father then took me to meet my master and he is the nicest korean guy i have ever met. the next day at school my 18 year old bro chris beat up my ex but i really wish i had self-defense to block his punch... but now if he wants to come around hitting me i know how to take immediate action.

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

WOW! If I ever need self-defense, I know what I'm doing......I'm calling your brother, Chris!

Actually, I started TKD in Feb. because I had gotten so out of shape after Baby #2, and things had continued to go downhill after Baby #3. I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and Graves' hyperthyroidism. I was overweight, tired all the time, overworked, stressed-out, and my life was completely out-of-balance (mostly desk/brain-work, high stress, zero physical activity/outlet). At 42, I knew that if I didn't do something drastic, I probably wouldn't last to see 50. Then I scared myself at a routine physical, when I stepped on the scale (Avast! That lying god-forsaken scale was making up numbers, for sure!). I started TKD that week.

I was also looking for some "character fine-tuning", but that's another story.

Anyway, my goals have been more than met: lost 20 pounds, I'm totally off thyroid meds., I look and feel years younger, I've gotten some of the input I needed on the character issues, and I've gotten a BIG perk, besides: I've met some GREAT people and have some real friends that I just enjoy hanging out with.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to the both of you!

Please stop by TKD Check In so other TKDoists here can formally give you a welcome!

Ann I also have 3 kids and 2 years older than you... I began 11 years ago joining a family class along with my then 7 yr. old and have been training ever since.

My daughter who is 16 is a 1st dan BB and I am rest assured that she would level anyone who'd ever have the gumption to even think they would raise a hand to her!

4. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Welcome to MAP...look forward to hearing about your journey in the arts and in life...

Blessings...
    Bulldog

5. Ara

Ara New Member

I started when there were flyers handed around at my school a few years back. Myself and a good friend of mine went along to see what it would be like. The instructor was great and had brilliant teaching techniques. Before i knew it i had hit blue belt and then study took over as well as a few other unforseen problems :(

i didnt train for a number of years, and forgot pretty much everything i had learnt. I got to university in 2001, and decided to take it up again with the students union club. I spoke to the instructor of that class and he said there was no problem with me picking up from my blue belt and learning everything until i was ready for the red tag grading. He is a phenomenal teacher and a great inspiration!

Anyway, here i am now, a Red belt (itf) and training hard towards that black tag ;)

6. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

I started when my friend took me to his class. I was hooked immediately and have been training ever since!