My sister's uni house is squalid.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by u6s68, Aug 22, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

My sister has moved into a house with her friends and there's some real red flags. Although she hates it she went along with it to stay with her course mates. I just wondered if there were minimum standards for landlords to keep or whether I have grounds to complain? She will go mad at me if I do but she wouldn't speak up about it.

Some of the issues:

The radiators have leaked onto the carpets and this seems to be rotting them.

The kitchen surfaces have holes in them which must be a hot bed for bacteria.

The walls are cracked and shabby but the estate agents say I cannot paint them at my own cost or she will lose her deposit.

There is exposed wiring, sockets not fitted to the wall properly and I just feel it is an accident waiting to happen

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

First things first, I doubt you'll get any lawyers on this board so take any advice with a pinch of salt.

Second, which country is she in?

Third, private or social landlord?

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sounds like a fairly typical student house to me.

4. LemonSloth

Pretty much.

The one bit that's bothering me is the badly attached sockets though.

EDIT: Hang on, re-read the OP. No, if you're not living there, you won't have any ability to complain.

5. holyheadjch

There's badly attached and there's dangerous. They're not necessarily the same thing.

If the OP kicks up a fuss he might end up making his sister homeless, which is probably not much of an improvement in terms of living conditions.

6. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Worth asking. Yes it is typical of a student house. Private landlord.

7. LemonSloth

True, but OP did also mention exposed wiring. I'm not an electrician but I would have assumed that exposed wiring is generally a no-no. :dunno:

Pretty much.

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

9. LemonSloth

Absolutely nothing you can do about it.

The reason I asked about private/social landlords is that social landlords are expected to follow the "Decent Homes Standard" which has minimum guidelines on heating, insulation and general property care. They can be fined pretty heavily if they're found to be failing in this regard.

Private landlords, on the other hand, can get away with renting out places that are utter dives. As long as there are basic safety requirements. Which are pretty low.

But again, the contract isn't with you personally so you will have no sway at all over anything.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If it's in the UK, get your sister to go to her local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

11. holyheadjch

Living in a crappy student house is a right of passage. It makes you appreciate a nice house when you can afford to live in one.

12. David Harrison

They're also good for strengthening the immune system :)

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Pretty much what LemonSloth says.

All contracts are more in favour of the Landlord and loopholes also tend to go towards the owner. Police cannot help because it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter.
    In regards to repairs, your sister can complain to the landlord but if she signed up after viewing the property then "she knew what she was getting into". Especially if its that obvious...or negotiate with the owner, pay for the repairs and have the bill reduced from the rent.

Like mentioned before, Citizens Advice Bureau can give some advice but not a solution. And the local Council can only do so much with Private Properties (very little, if at all)

14. David Harrison

CAB can at least spell out your rights in the situation.

As long as the fire alarms work, the council can't really do much.

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I appreciate its not how the law works, but if you get a house without being offered the chance to see it (I assume) and it turns out like that you should really have a right to do something about it. It seems like a similiar problem as 'fit for purpose' laws in shops. Ok yes technically the house is fit for purpose in that its inhabitable, but still.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Tell your sister to approach the students union as they will offer her legal advice and representation if it comes to it and will ensure that the landlord doesnt kick her out for no reason.

Believe or not but there are housing standards that landlords have to comply with. Take photos of all the issues (in this case the plugs sound like and issue but may be lawfully safe)

Many of the foreign students at my uni were getting drawn into crappy accommodation and the student union really helped them out.

but if its a basic house with minor cosmetic imperfections - welcome to student life

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

both of these dont meet up with landlord registration (in scotland at least)

and if you can prove a real hazard then its worth pursuing

18. holyheadjch

Finding a student house after the start of the semester is normally really hard. You don't want to get your sister and her friends kicked out of their place over old carpets.

If there is exposed wiring (the actual copper), then that's dangerous, but if its just that the outer insulation finished a centimeter before the socket fixture, then it's shoddy work, but it's not particularly dangerous.

19. LemonSloth

Since they're most likely on an AST and no legal reason is needed for a landlord to give notice to a tenant to leave (as long as the notice expires past the usual fixed term), how does that work?

All this is somewhat moot though. OP's sister has already mentioned she doesn't want to cause a fuss and probably won't do anything.

20. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

There are people working 6-7 days week who can only dream of affording a home in that condition.

Sounds luxury compared to what people on min wage are forced to take