My side kick needs improvement

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Labatt, May 7, 2003.

1. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

clearly you dont do patterns at your school

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree with you.

different kicks at different heights should definitely be part of the training.

3. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

yes i do patterns and so far I have never had to do a pattern needing a kick above mid section.

if I eventually do have to do high sections kicks I will as needed, but I would never try to kick above the abdomen in a self defence situation.

my school specifically concentrates alot of effort upon incorporating TKD into a street effective defence method rather than concentrating on competition or traditional TKD.

4. Rochambo83

Rochambo83 Martial Artist

For me I was lacking strength in my legs more than flexibility. I am now much more accurate after doing some simple strenthening excercises like holding your leg out and throwing 50 kicks without putting your foot down. Its easier when you don't have to rely on pure momentum to fling that kick up there.

Does anyone know the names of the muscles that are used for kicking? Is it pretty much every leg muscle?

5. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

All the major muscles are used really.
    The sartorius muscle originates in the tibia and inserts in the spine, which assists in flexing the leg and moving/rotating the thigh.
    Your quadriceps, origin in upper hip, insertion in fibula and tibia, is used to straighten the leg out and extend from the thigh.
    The biceps femoris, insertion in fibula/tibia, origin in hip, flexes the lower leg.
    The gastrocnemius, origin in femur, insertion in ankle bone, rotates the foot and moves the body forward e.g. in walking, running, jumping.
    And thats just in your leg, not mentioning all your stabilisers in your core etc.

6. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

well originally you said
    its the "shouldn't ever" that is poor advice.

in patterns Taegeuk Yuk Jang and above there are high section kicks. Suggesting someone who practices Taekwondo doesnt need high kicks is just daft. Also I think it is better to work on your flexibilty as soon as possible so that when you reach the level where high kicks become more regular, your flexiblity wont hold you back. High kicks are not just for competition and demos they are an integral part of TKD.

Personally I dont believe that TKD is that good for transferring to a street situation, the likes of Ju Jitsu, Kung Fu and Aikido are far better for this application.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

But on all points I guess you're thinking WTF TKD, not ITF? ;)

Hwarang Tull has 2 high kicks, first ITF pattern to use them (red belt), he says foolishly quickly and without bothering to think about it :D

Mitch

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

yes i dont know ITF patterns sorry :D

9. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

yeah mitch in fact up to 2nd dan theres only about few patterns with high kicks
    Hwa-Rang
    Choong-Moo
    Choong-Jang
    Eui-Am
    Juche

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Phew, glad my memory didn't let me down, knew I'd get called on it otherwise :)

Mitch

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Its refreshing to see that some ppl still study the patterns rather than just go through them. kicking at proper focus levels is just as important as punching and blocking in the correct place otherwise its WRONG. Im just hope theres more guys like mitch who place importance in proper technical points.

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Trouble with side kick

Is this normal?

Every time I do the side kick off my right leg it refuses to lock. Like in this picture. [​IMG]

I love that straight leg. Mine has always got a little bend in it which does not look good.

I always have trouble when I do kicks in slow motion. I practice but I always seem to keep falling over side ways. :eek:
    Are there any exercises I can practice at home to help improve my balance and flexibility?

13. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Can't see the pic Hapuka, not sure why. Are you saying that the leg you are standing on does not lock? If so, I think that is normal. I would hate lock out my base. Just in case my opponent targets it. Having a bit of bend in the leg is the way I have always been taught. Now, the kicking leg, that is a different story.

As far as balance exercises, you know what to do. Practice every kick SLOWLY! Take 10 to 20 seconds to do a kick. Concentrate on the technique, foot placement, hip rotation, chamber, toes, everything. Hold the kicks out at full extension for a 5 count and then bring it back slowly. Get to the point that you can do your kicks slowly without setting your kicking leg down.

Another great training aid is a wobble board
    [​IMG]
    The object is to keep the sides of the board off the floor. It works your ankles, legs and your core! Fantastic for balance.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Thanks man. The problem is my kicking leg. When I'm kicking with my right leg it refuses to lock. It kind of looks ugly, not good for patterns or step sparring.

15. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Have a physiotherapist look at it as the issue may be joint/tendon related. There may be a physiological reason that your leg won't straighten out. A full exam of your hips, legs, ankles, and feet wouldn't hurt either. I am getting one done next month by my Sports Orthopedist. The last thing any of us Martial Art practitioners need is to have joint issues that impair or inhibit our flexibility. Get a professionals take then we can address strengthening the kick!

16. tkdbb3

tkdbb3 Valued Member

your leg should not lock out all the way anyways... no stability that way you should have a slight bend in the base leg. jmho

17. Keon Thunder

Keon Thunder New Member

I agree. If anything, completely locking your kicking leg out will cause arthritis or similar damage after time. I think even in your photo, his leg is still very slightly bent. You might need physio work, but analyse the direction your toes are pointing in when your kick is as straight as you can get it. If your toes are pointing up, then your leg will be inclined to remain bent. Aim to have your heel highest so that your toes are pointing down slightly. Start by kicking like this at knee height, then work your way up. This has helped me get my leg as straight as possible without locking it. Also, make sure your arms are close to the body to keep your balance. IMO I find having my left hand directly above the standing foot's toes with the elbow pointed straight down at them (when doing a right side kick) (hand placed near my head or chest) works. Other hand can then be guarding or, my preference, punching at the same time. Also, a must is to have your standing foot pointing backwards. Let me know if any of that helps. Good luck.