My second N-Class fight is near!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Unreal Combat, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Really, I should have kept my chin down a lot more than I did.

At that first point you noted I think I attempted to catch the Teep, so my guard on my left was down (I think).

When he caught me with that left, on that second point, I was un-composed, trying to chase him down to force clinch, at that point. I should have had more patience and kept my hands up. Had I have done so he would have likely hit guard.

I also have a bad habit of pulling my head back when I punch sometimes, in anticipation of returned punches, rather than taking the return punches on the forehead or weaving sideways.

Something I need to work on more for definite. I know I can take the shots but I still have that instinctive reaction to avoid taking a hit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That makes sense, that you're pulling your head back and up rather than putting it forward and down with the chin tucked.

Just something I noticed, no criticism from me mate, I'm not the one who was in there; kudos to you!

Mitch

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Great vid dude, managed to catch the effect of the sweep by watching the mirror behind you when you pulled it off - nicely done :D

One question though, when you went for the sweeps you kept dropping your hands completely. Are you able to sweep someone without completely dropping your hands or does the sweep just not work without you doing that?

4. Unreal Combat

It's a valid point to raise, no complaint from me mate. Sometimes other people pick up on things I may miss, so it's good to get this sort of feedback. I'm open to it as long as it's the constructive kind and not the destructive kind.

Thanks.

Normally you should keep one hand up at a minimum (the opposite hand to the kicking leg), but I wasn't throwing Thai roundhouse style sweeps (I don't know all the Thai names yet). I was using Kickboxing style inside foot sweeps. Same rule of thumb should still apply but I find them a little harder to keep balance with. If you look carefully (better to see on the second video) you'll find my opposite hand was still up for a couple of them, but not in a tight guard. More outward via long arm.

Could, and should, have used better technique (though my injury restricted me a little, but no excuses) but I blame it on inexperience mostly! :D

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

This is actually a question more than a criticism, but why are both of you dropping your hands each time you throw a leg kick? I can see how it would be a reaction, but it makes one WIDDDDE open for all kinds of counter situations. Of course, not being in there makes it easy to say, and perhaps much harder to do, so I mean no offense. If you know you can take a good leg kick, I'd trade that for a 1-2, 1,2,3 , take your pic there. I don't know.. just very curious because both you guys were doing it, so I might not be understanding something either.

Edit: I now see the question right above me lol.

6. Unreal Combat

Can put it down to inexperience mainly. That's what fighting at this level is designed to teach you before you take that step up to C-Class and beyond and do it at decision level. I think I had a good fight though. I was fairly comfortable even though my technique wasn't very good at all this time around. Even my punching was off par and that's probably one of my stronger areas. It was good for me to get someone better than I had at the last interclub as it helped to highlight my flaws for correction.

Next event is on the 16th of February, so it will be interesting to see how I progress from here.

7. Saved_in_Blood

That's cool... didn't mean to bring that up not seeing the others. I was just wondering. I have only sparred a few times in my life, but I always watched fighters who kept their hands up and I would practice just holding my hands up with 2 lb dumbells as I shadow boxed and then just holding them up with the weights just to really drill it into my head.

I'll add that Miguel Cotto was one that I watched a lot, even though he's not considered a "defensive fighter", but I think his defense is a bit underrated. Also Winky Wright was a HUGE influence on how effective that shell and just a jab could be.

Warning for language... but you just don't get much more of a schooling than this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHXKFlgcDFU"]felix trinidad vs winky wright - YouTube[/ame]

8. Unreal Combat

Since it was pointed out earlier I went and took a look at a few Thaiboxing videos and noticed a fair few fighters can drop their hands (or put them outward in long arm) when kicking also. Maybe it's something that is more commonly seen when a fighter is relaxed or comfortable during a fight? I noticed I only really threw my guard up when I was put under a bit of pressure.

Definitely something I need to be wary of mind. I can take a good hit, but it only takes the right hit to put someone out no matter how tough they are. :)

9. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah man, being able to take a punch is a good thing, but think about using your brains when you are no longer fighting and protect YOURSELF! It's not worth proving you are tough. Having great defense is what helps make a complete fighter! When you need a good chin, it will still be there, make it a game, and don't get hit and be MAD when you do and try to see all angles and watch where you could hit and not be hit.

Just my .02 brother.

10. Unreal Combat

I don't get mad when I get hit. A few people seem to think I do (my old coach used to think this) but I really don't. :)

11. Saved_in_Blood

Not mad like your mad because someone hit you, just mad at yourself for allowing yourself to be hit.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yeah, you definitely seemed very calm and controlled in that last bout, especially compared to your opponent. How long have you been training?

13. Unreal Combat

Oh, nah I'm good. I don't beat myself up over stuff. I try and constructively break down what happens for improvement, but never let being hit bother me. You win some exchanges, you lose some. Is the nature of the sport. :)

I've been training in Muay Thai since about October-November 2013 and I did about a year and a half of Full Contact Kickboxing, with a few Muay Thai and K1 rules, techniques thrown in for good measure, before.

14. Saved_in_Blood

well, it takes guts to get into a ring in general, so that's good... keep learning... bob and weave baby!

15. Unreal Combat

Indeed it does. Anyone who steps over that rope gets a lot of respect from me, regardless of what they are competing in. :)

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've got a low guard in general, its why I also use head movement a lot. I think its very common for hands to drop during kicks.
    Hands go foward and down when you teep and the arms swings when you do a round kick.
    Its all about the balance.

Hands go right back up after though.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Which makes sense... my only point is that it does make it easier to counter if it's timed right. I'd rather use the kick as the distraction before I ever dropped my guard... but everyone has their own style.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its with everything though. If you can block a rear round kick, you can (probably) counter with a cross. But with kicks like teeps/front push kicks, it creates such a distance between you and the opponent, the only way to counter is either catch the kick, deflect it or counter with a teep of your own. Either way you can't reach the face (unless you're Jon Jones fighting BJ Penn)

Its easier to show with pics, so apologies if I'm not being clear.