My routine..

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hades, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well.. I've been away for a long time.. but.. here we go!

I quite boxing after 3 years.. haven't been doing it since january this year.

I used to have quite a good routine..

Monday: chest+triceps
    tuesday: back+biceps
    wednesday: boxing
    thursday: spinning
    Friday: boxing

the past half year i've only been doing weights, and i'm having some great results, allthough i'm not satisfied with it!

I can squat 120 kg, bench press 90 kg, and deathlift 130 kg..

my routine is:

Monday+thursday: chest+triceps
    tuesday+friday: back+biceps
    wednesday: legs+shoulders

I eat quite good, take whey protein shakes..

I'm 1 m 90 and I weigh 87 kg.

But, despite eating quite healthy, and taking it easy on the booze.. i still haven't found the power to stop smoking, and because of that, my fitness and stamina sucks!

well.. I want to keep the muscles i gained, and keep the strenght.. and i want to start boxing again!

Judging from what i've been told.. muscles should have enough time to recover, and that boxing, or any other full contact sport will only slow my recovery, and will heavily interfere with my weighttraining.

I do not want to take up my old routine.. i was thinking of something like this:

Benchpress
    incline benchpress
    dumbbel press
    overhead flyes
    flyes

Triceps curls one hand
    curl with both hands
    curl with rope
    kickback
    overhead curl

Overhead pull
    wide pull down
    seated row wide
    seated row small
    pull-ups

biceps curl
    hammer curl
    bar curl
    decline curl

wednesday: boxing

at my gym, 1,5 hours of boxing, including sparring, heavy bag, rope skipping, technique training, shadowboxing, ab exercises, punch out drills

thursday: legs+shoulders

Squats
    deadlift
    quadriceps curl
    hamstring curl
    calf raises

millitary press
    millitary dumbbel press
    side dumbbel raises
    front dumbbel raises
    shrugs

friday: boxing

a 2 hour boxing session

A lot of strength feels good.. but i really miss the stamina i had, and the fun of boxing..

I want to keep growing in muscle mass, and in strength, but meanwhile regain my stamina, and excel in boxing again!

With this routine, combined with a new attempt to quite smoking, a protein-rich diet, and whey protein shakes do the trick for me?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

I think you know the answer to your own question! :D Yes it will all be beneficial, especially the not smoking part! But you do need a rest day! Or at least a day in which you do very little. See about doing some power cleans and deadlifts and let's not forget squats. Good luck with everything man. :D

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

I'd change things around, your not getting much rest mid week

you effectivley train your back when you do any chest work such as pressing as the negative portion of the movement is controlled by the lats and mid back... think of the reverse of the bench press and you get bent rows.

i would do this so that your muscle groups get rested effectivley

mon: chest/shoulders/triceps (essentially a push day)
    tues: legs, abs
    wed: off
    thur: back/biceps/forearms
    fri: off
    sat: chest/shoulders/triceps
    sun: legs:abs
    mon: off

are so on... monday would then become a day off the next week and it all shifts along. The human body does not know monday, tuesday etc, so workout using the above pattern.

Benchpress
    incline benchpress
    dumbbel press
    overhead flyes
    flyes

more is not better, drop the flys, your not a bird so flapping with dumbbells will not grow your chest as much as a good set of weighted dips.
    this is too much volume, 3 exercises with 3-4 sets is more than enough.

Triceps curls one hand
    curl with both hands
    curl with rope
    kickback <--- i'll pretend i didnt see this
    overhead curl

tricep workout is crap TBH, not flowering it up for you, its constructive feedback. These exercises will not help you bench more nor gain more strength in your pressing overall.

Skull crushers
    Close grip bench press
    kickbacks are the worst exercise ever hyped up by mens health...graaggghhh lol

Overhead pull
    wide pull down
    seated row wide
    seated row small
    pull-ups

chins
    bent rows
    deadlift <----key exercise
    one arm db rows

these should be your bread and butter

biceps curl
    hammer curl
    bar curl
    decline curl

your working out your biceps during your back workout and at the end of it all your subjecting them to a 4 exercise all out battle.
    mate, the biceps are tiny muscles in comparison to the rest, they do not need 4 exercises... 2 at the most

barbell curls
    db preacher curls

db preacher curls stop the cheating element by forcing your upper arm and shoulder against the pad, therefore taking out any possibility of swinging the weight up

Squats
    deadlift
    quadriceps curl
    hamstring curl
    calf raises

leg day is as follows

squats
    leg press
    stiff leg deadlift
    Glute ham raises
    standing calf raises
    sitting calf raises or donkey raises

leave deadlifts till backday, they are very intensive and after working out your glutes (biggest muscle group) and quads (2nd biggest) you dont want to workout the rest of the body with deads...trust me.
    If your training heavy and hard its the last thing you will want to do

millitary press
    millitary dumbbel press
    side dumbbel raises
    front dumbbel raises
    shrugs

standing military press
    side raises
    rear raises

drop the front raises, with the pressing movements you are fragging your front delts all ready, they are toast by now, move along to the side and rear delts.

drop the shrugs, picking a heavy weight off the floor and deadlifting it hits the traps HARD, overhead pressing works them HARD... shrugs are a 3" movement for a muscle that runs 2ft from your neck to your middle back... think about it.

so in essence your workout should be IMO:

1) Push
    Bench
    DB Bench
    Dips

Standing military press
    Side raises
    Rear raises

Skulls
    C.G.Bench

this keeps the muscle groups worked primarily together when you press. working them the next day does them no favours when you split them up with other muscle groups

2) legs

Squats
    Leg press
    S.L.D.L
    G.H.Raise
    Standing calf raise
    Sitting calf raise

3) PULL

Chins <-- 1st when your fresh
    Deadlifts
    Bent rows
    One arm rows

Barbell Curl
    DB Preacher curl

Plate pinches

-------------------------------------------

abs you can do in your own time at the end of your workouts if you want or if you do them during your boxing workouts.

4. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

yet again sound advice from bulk. two things that i disagree with tho. #1: you said that biceps are smaller muscle group and don't need 4 exercises. i agree with that, but you said 2 exercises would be plenty. i find that 1 exercise would be plenty if you do the routine for the back that bulk gave you. pretty much all the back exercises work your bi's well. i think you'd be fine w/ one bicep exercise if you do it hard enough. i alternate each time w/ hammer curls or a set or 2 of 21's(normally one, but if i feel good i do 2) w/ a curl bar. i've found this works best for me as my arms are a weak point for me and if i don't watch out its very easy for me to overtrain them. you can give this a shot and bulk's bicep stuff a shot and see what works best for ya.

#2: i've found that shrugs were key in building the shoulders when i used to train 3 years ago. i was always strong in the shoulders and able to go heavy in all the shoulder lifts. i was trying everything to get more size. i started doing shrugs w/ heavy weight, alternating between db and bb and rolling my back, most people just go up, but i find going up and rolling your back as you go down works best, and my shoulders just blew up in a matter of a few weeks.

5. Incredible Bulk

one exercise is what i mostly do but not everyone is the same as me so i say 2 as a max. If you train well enough then you do only need one isolation exercise in there but as a noob starting 'proper' training it cant hurt for now.

powerlifters have thick shoulder girdles and train only in the core lifts, they do not do a lift that will not benefit their core lifts.
    Shrugs does not benefit a core exercise IMO and in their opinions too it is reflected by their workouts...

picking a heavy ass weight off the floor places tremendous strain on the shoulders pulling the traps, it has been widely spoken about by pros (and their trainers) that the negative portion of a rep is the most productive... thats why holding onto heavy weight is effectivley a heavy negative on the traps, its forcing them to deal with the load.

farmers walks are a great exercise for the traps, if the grip doesnt fail first its the traps that will ultimatley fail next.

as a sign off, rolling your shoulders is asking for major trouble!!!?!!? :Alien:
    You have a heavy barbell in your hands and you shrug upwards, then decide to roll your shoulders backwards? Why oh why?! This is something from the 50's mate, the old adage that rolling some how stresses the traps more when all it does is place strain on the rotor cuffs and the ball/socket joint itself.

6. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

thanks for the info on the rolling shoulders, don't need more shoulder injuries :(. i used to do heavy deads and all the core and powerlifting stuffs before i got so many injuries. and like i said, my shoulders didn't get really built till i did shrugs. now i'm restricted on what i can do for shoulders. i can't do dips, i can't do heavy deadlifts till after my next knee surgery and rehab. i can't do military, etc. so i'm having to find new ways to build strength. i need to watch deadlift, can't do alot of weight at all right now, but i still do sumo, regular, and romanian deadlifts almost every week. do you think setting up the spotter racks in a cage and putting the bar down there and holding it up w/ heavy weights would work just as affective?

7. Incredible Bulk

try face pulls mate, great for the traps

use a dual rope handle like you would use for tricep pulldowns and place it on a lat pull station.

lean back to 45 degrees and pull so the connection of the Y shape nearly hits your nose.... its good for the rear delts too

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  8. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

thnx buddy.