My routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hades, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I have been boxing for 2.5 years now. In the near future I might be doing amateur bouts.
    I have also been working out in the gym for over 4 years.

I want to intensify my workout, and do more weights, but I lack time.

I think you guys can't help me if I don't tell my goals so..

I want to be a better boxer, I am in good shape, but I want to be in better shape. So I want to be stronger, faster, and have better endurance. I also want to be more muscular, that's not a goal, it's just something I wouldn't mind becoming.

I have stopped lifting weights in the gym because I haven't got the time to visit more than once a week, and I don't think I can workout my entire body in one day.

I have been training with several weightlifters, who all have different ways of training, I've spend hours reading on rossboxing.com, I've read a whole lot of articles on fitness for a martial artist, but I would like to hear the opinions of people around here..

This is my present schedule:

Monday:

I work out at home.

I don't know the correct name in english, so i would call it "the vacuumcleaner" because the movement resembles how you move with a vacuumcleaner. It's basically a sort of pushup but much much harder. It trains alot more muscles than normal pushups. I can do 50 pushups but with these exercise I can barely perform 10 reps. It's too difficult to describe, so I hope i can find a vid of .gif pic of it..

Warmup (consists of shadowboxing, jumping rope, some stretch exercises)

The vacuumcleaner 10 reps
    Sit-ups 30 reps
    Dumbbell snatch 10 reps each arm
    burpees with explosive jump 10x

I repeat this 4 rounds.

I have a duffelbag filled with old shoes and jeans, which weighs around 50 pounds, and I do some lifting and throwing with that.

that's for my exercise at home.

Tuesday:
    Usually I go running in the woods with a mate for about an hour. nothign fancy, no intervals, just plain running.

Wednesday & Friday:

I go to my boxing classes. Every session lasts about 1.5-2.5 hours.

Sunday: depends on my mood, but sometimes I go running alone.

I do not consider myself a n00b, neither on MAP, and neither when it comes to training, or fitness terms..

It's a very long post, but what can I change/improve??

2. You can! Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Bent over rows, Chinups :)

Just a thought, but how about interval sprint training? :)

3. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Definitely give a read of Dan John's Training For the Busy Guy. 2 days a week of training. If you absolutely, positively cannot find more time to lift weights, either A. - You're trying hard enough to find time (drop one running session, and shorten the duration of the other, like Jabber commented), or B. - Clean and Press 10x3 or 5x5.

I need to see this, or I need a better explanation. If only for my own curiousity. ;)

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Dan John also made an article entitled one lift a day

5. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I'm already looking for pics or vids.. it's really hard to explain :eek:

6. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

7. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

8. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I've looked at the Dan John site.. and I was thinking of adding one day of lifting..

With the following exercises

So my training schedule will look like this:

Monday:

- Bench Press 4 sets
    - Weighted Chin-ups 4 sets
    - Arnold Dumbbell Press 4 sets
    - Front squats 4 sets

I train pyramid.. and I dunno if that's good or wrong..

Tuesday: Running

Wednesday & Friday: Boxing class

Any comments?

9. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

I'd definitely recommend you keeping atleast one day of weight lifting in the routine.. Sounds like a decent routine, you've got thursday, saturday, and sunday as rest days, and you've got most of the big compound movements in there. I'd probably jog more than once a week however just for the added endurance and because it should'nt stress you too much.

10. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Update

Owkay.. I quit my job.. and have found a new one.. 9-5 office job so.. I got more time to workout..

My schedule now looks like this:

Monday:

Weightlifting

Warmup:

about 5 minutes of running on treadmill, and a couple of ab exercises

-Benchpress
    -Rows
    -arnold dumbbel press
    -front squats

Tuesday:

Stamina

I go to my Spinning class, or I go running in the parc

Wednesday:

Boxing class

Thursday:

Weight lifting

Warmup:

about 5 minutes of running on treadmill, and a couple of ab exercises

-Benchpress
    -Rows
    -arnold dumbbel press
    -front squats

Friday:

Boxing Class

Sunday:

If I have recovered from all the partying on Saturday, some running...

11. Colucci

Sweet Mother Of Pearl, you win the award for Best Way To Find Time To Workout!! :love:

Oh, and yeah, that schedule looks good to go. What reps are you doing on those exercises?

12. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well.. I haven't visited MAP for a long time, because on my last job, I wasn't allowed to visit the internet.. but I'm back! Sorry for my bad grammar, being Dutch and haven't spoken or written english for quite some time now, it has became even worse than before.. :Angel:

My schedule now looks like this:

Monday

Weightlifting:

Warmup: ab exercises, some stretching

-Dumbell-press
    -Raised bench press
    -Weighted pull-ups
    -Rows
    -2 kinds of shoulder muscle exercises (can't figure out their names, hack, i'm dutch)
    -biceps curls (2 different exercises)
    -triceps curls (2 different exercises)

Per exercise I do about 4-5 sets, and I train piramids..

The whole show takes about an hour.

Tuesday

Spinning

An one hour class.. great cardio-workout

Wednesday and Friday

I go to my boxing gym.. no need to describe the whole session, we train under supervision of 2 trainers, so I can't change much there.

Weekend

If my social life allows it, I work out at home on saturday or sunday..

I have an old army duffel bag at home, filled with old clothes and shoes. It weighs about 80 pounds, not that heavy, but hey, it's cheap!:D

It's great to do lifting-exercises with, I do some wrestling and throwing with it, I do some Ground and Pound, some ab-exercises, some punchout drills.. My mom keeps wondering what all those sounds are coming from the attic.:D

Thursday is my resting day.

This has been my schedule for the last 2 months.. It works very well for me. I have became much stronger, faster, my stamina is so much better.

I'm quite comfortable with it, but if you guys have any suggestions, ideas, changes, things to add or edit.. please let me know!!

13. Colucci

Leg exercises...get on them.

"But BeWater, I take an hour of Spinning every week. I don't need to train legs." Yes you do. A heavier weight, lower volume (like 5x3 or 4x4) lower body workout will increase your lower body strength significantly and shouldn't terribly interfere in your Spinning.

Here's the plan, drop one exercise each for shoulders, triceps, and biceps. I won't stand idly by while you become Lieutenant Upper Body. ;) Toss in one kind of Squat, one kind of Lunge or Step-up, and one kind of Deadlift. Problem solved, everyone's a winner. :D

Oh, and I like that duffel bag idea. Good thinking. :D

14. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well, thanks for the advice.. there's only one problem: I have very bad knees.

My kneecaps produce some very weird sounds when I'm bending my knees.

When I train legs, the next day, it hurts like hell.. my shins, my knees.

I used to have squats included in my programme, but after two weeks I tossed 'm out, because of the pain...

I used to do some running in the woods, but the next day.. well you can guess.. :eek:

Any suggestions?

15. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Don't worry, your English is a lot better than a lot of native English speakers.

16. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

If all your hearing is cracking and no pain, it should be fine. As for hurting the next day, you sure its the bones being sore? Not the muscles? Soreness in muscles is perfectly fine (most of the time).
    You might also want to try doing squats all the way down, bum to heel, this stresses the knee less than going parallel to the floor.
    Its possible that the pain after running are shin splints, if so you need to rest it, ice it, run on softer surfaces such as grass and get better shoes with good support, also try doing some tibialis anterior work (the small 'shin muscle').

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The knees could be a quad/ham imbalance if you aren't going **** to ground on the squats.

18. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well.. Yesterday I went to see a doctor so he could have a look at it. I haven't got enough cartilage in my knee joint.. so the bones scrape each other. that's causing the noise, and the pain. My body doesn't produce enough fluid to keep the bones moving smooth, without scratching each other. There is nothing I can do about it, nor can doctors. well, maybe very expensive surgery, but he adviced me against it. The only thing I can do about it, is cardio work, which will stimulate my knees to produce more fluid, and I can do strength exercises to make the surrounding muscles stronger, so the joints and bones won't have to take the full weight and pressure of my body. physiotherapy won't do much good, since my muscle are allready quite strong, and the exercises he would do with me, are all designed to train the surrounding muscles.

about my shins, I'm pretty certain it's not muscle soreness..

Half a year ago I could barely run because of shin splints, and that's why I do spinning now.

Running puts to much pressure on my ankles and knees.

About the advice Bewater gave me, about more leg exercises.. I added deadlifts and squats to my monday routine, and kicked out 1 biceps exercise, and 1 triceps.

Problem is: tonight I have spinning class, and my hams and quads hurt like hell.. that's why I didn't do leg strength exercises in the first place...

When I have trained my entire upperbody on monday, I have a lot of "oo yeah, I worked out yesterday" -pain on tuesday, but that doesn't matter, because I do spinning, and that doesn't involve much upperbody-strength.

Spinning doesn't cause much pain the next morning, so I can do boxing om wednesday, without pain, sore muscles, or stiffness.

Boxing causes a lot of sore muscles, small bruises, and stifness, so I do not work out on Thursday so I can recover, and I have an extra long session of boxing on Friday (2 mile run as warm-up, and 2.5 hour class)

Saturday mornings are hellish. Pain all over, but i'm satisfied, cause I had a great work out, and I can recover all day..

So, How can I do more leg exercises, ( I know they're important, and I do not want to become Lieutenant Upperbody) in a way it won't compromise my boxings lessons or spinning class??