My parents got held up!!

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by kungfufighter, Mar 31, 2005.

1. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

So my parents recently told me and my other siblings that a week ago they were both held up coming out of a funeral late at night. My dad said he was thinking of kicking the guy and trying to wrestle him down, but if he got shot would my mom have made it far enough. Now I'm thinking, if they both knew Krav Maga would they have been able to prevent themselves form getting robbed? See stuff like this makes me wanna find that guy and torture him :mad:

2. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

I feel ya

I understand what your saying but toturing or beating the guy will not resolve anything but an emotional anger so lets try looking at it like maybe hes less fortunate infact he must be if hes willing to rob innocent people thats a coward move but he will get his just not now

I agree maybe if ur parents knew a little self defense they could work with it but then again material items versus a gun wound i dont know i mean even if it were me id let him have what he wants its just materials maybe id try and get him when he walks away

3. MossIsGone84

MossIsGone84 New Member

tough break man... and after a funeral, that must've been a really bad day. The best thing to do in any situation where an attacker has a gun (at least I think) is to just give him what he wants... I mean whats more important risking a life or giving some jerk some money... down the line that man will probably end up being caught or killed, its sad that people have to resort to stealing and threating somebodys life just for a few bucks.

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

AFTER A FUNERAL!?!? thats really low, really low, you should get your parents to do some RBSD, MMA or JJ/MT ect. asap, something credable and effective. this should fule them to do so, i know it would me. just be thankful that your parents wern't hurt. i have to refrain from saying some really inappropriate things that i would find amusing at the moment. but all in all, i'm glad your parents came to no harm.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

let just hope this guy decides to mug Randy or Shamrock or Liddle some time soon, that would make for a nice headline "MMA champion slaughters unsuspecting mugger.....muggers family sues... :eek: :D

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

if the guy had a gun then they did everything right.

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Exactly.
    If the guy has a gun, give him what he asks for.

And I don't think MMA/RSBD or whatever is going to do your parents much good. What I think they need to learn is just to avoid those places whenever possible. MMA/RSBD/Krav Maga/<Insert art here> is a bad idea when someone is trying to rob you. People may get nervous when robbing you, sudden moves and the might pop off 5 in your chest.

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Up to a point. If he starts saying things like "Get in the car" or "Come with me" or "Sit still while I tie you up" it's time for desperate action because you really don't have anything to lose at that point. My favorite technique is running like hell.

9. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

My mother and I were once robbed at gun point... by a policeman. Not in the UK though! Having a gun in your face and your mum sitting next to you changes things!

Thing is, we weren't surprised, we were prepared. It was only a matter of time before something like that happened given where we were living at the time. My mum had most of our money stuffed down her underwear and only a small amount of cash in a wallet that she could hand over.

10. Where?!?!? :eek:

11. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Haha, is your mom a stripper?!?

lol I'm jk. That IS a good idea though, hiding your money. Perhaps for guys, having 2 wallets would work better.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i know that, if the guy has a gun, chances are if he wants to kill you, you're gonna die, but RBSD/MMA/krav maga would get them a little more able and aware of their surrounding don't you think?

13. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

lol! If she were a stripper, her knickers would've been empty!

Re the 2 wallets thing, even if it didn't work against robbers, having a wallet stuffed down you're trousers / pants might help you pull.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Couple of quick things...

1. Always good to have a "fake" wallet with you. Keep the important stuff in the hidden wallet, put a large bill in front of the fake one, and keep that one for muggings (that sounds horrible, I know). If he wants your wallet, toss it to him and run like hell.

2. I'm sure ppl wil disagree, but working in the criminal justice system, one thing I've learned is that if someone comes at you with a weapon, they usually don't want to use it. It's there for the sense of power and fear it inspires in the vic. Most (although not all) of my clients who have used weapons in the commission of a crime never plan on using them; if things go south they're actually more prone to run away than shoot you. Most criminals don't want a murder rap over ten bucks (again, most. there are a lot of freaks who don't care, especially in larger cities).

3. I'm being trained in knife and gun defense. And guess what? Unless it's in my face, he gets my fake wallet. I'm brave, not stupid. Bare hands against a .38? I don't think so.

15. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Not necessarily. Even if you do attack him chances are you won't avoid getting shot a lot in the exchange.

16. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Or what they used to call a Chicago roll - a ten dollar bill wrapped around a few ones.

Mmm, yes. If they show you the weapon there's a good chance they're using it to intimidate you at that moment. But there is a whole bunch of stabbings, shootings and clubbings which demonstrate that people do jack each other up. If someone has a personal reason no matter how irrational to want to hurt you the presence of a weapon should be a huge flashing DANGER sign.

I'm also a little skeptical, no offense meant, about what your clients tell you. Criminals are not the most reliable people in the world, especially when they are talking to the authorities and have a stake in being seen in a good light. Besides, many of them don't plan to use their weapons but have poor impulse control.

If it's a choice between getting shot and handing over twenty bucks there's no question of fighting. On the other hand, if it's a question of fighting or getting shot there's no question of not fighting, although running is still preferable. "Get in the trunk" or "You've screwed up my life for the last time [synonym for female dog]!" doesn't leave much room for negotiations.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Fair enough. Just thought I'd contribute a little something I've learned over the years in the criminal justice system.

Agreed. Just trying to stick with the hypo, which was a mugging. But you're correct, AFAIC, if I know I'm a dead man if I don't fight, I'll fight.

18. Maverick

Maverick New Member

What's it like defending people you know are guilty, if you ever do that?

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

quick off topic

I just do it, it's a job like any other.