my legs and squat problem

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hottdogg, Oct 5, 2008.

1. hottdogg

hottdogg Valued Member

Hi all,

I just signup for a gym member,I'm about to do weighted strength training (to support my MA training)but I got problem doing bodyweight squat, let alone weighted.

My posture is that my legs are long and my torso is short -> high center of gravity.
    So, when I'm squatting down is very _HARD_ to keep balance if my knees not to go over my toes.(which is correct form I suppose).

To keep me from falling, I have to sacrifice the correct form,that is my knees _go over_ my toes when squatting down.

With my posture, how can I improve my squating down so my knees don't go over my toes while still maintaining my balance ?
    Or squat isn't an exercise for my type?

Tnx.

2. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

You can have your knees over your toes in a squat. That whole thing is a myth.

There is a good analysis of the safety and technique of full-squats here:
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good link Garret.

Hottdogg, you may find it beneficial to performing bodyweight squats while holding onto a support in front of you (e.g. a bar attached to the wall, a towel around a door handle, or even the hand of a training partner) until you develop sufficient balance to do the exercise without assistance.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dan

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Took the words right outta my mouth. This has helped me to improve my form on squats dramatically. Another thing that's helped me is box squatting. Set up a box high enough that when you sit on it, your thighs are parallel. Unrack the bar and stand in front of it. Push your hips and butt back, keeping your shins as upright as possible. Sit on the bench and rock your body back, then forward, and drive up into the squat.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Nice posts guys.

I have a short torso and long legs and have no problem squatting ass-to-grass. I think its one of those things where the more you practice it, get your balance, have the right technique, sink your weight back and keep your posture strong, you'll improve and eventually be able to do bodyweight and weighted squats no problem.

As to the 'no knees over toes' rule, your knees will naturally go slightly over your toes. I've never had a single knee problem from the time I've been squatting.

One other thing, instead of doing bodyweight squats, why don't you try goblet squats with a dumbbell held between your hands (it doesn't have to be heavy, more there as a guide to a good squat position):

[​IMG]

6. BorntoFight

BorntoFight New Member

If you struggle so much with squats why not substitute it for other exercises such as leg press till you've built up the muscle enough so that you can perform a squat with good technique.

Alternatively do plyometric exercises to build up the stabaliser muscles around your knees and ankles.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The leg press won't help him improve his squat. The SAID (Specific Adaption to Imposed Demands) principle states that the best way to improve an exercise is to do the exercise itself. Therefore his best bet to improve his freeweight squat is to do freeweight squats, holding onto a doorframe or other object in front for support until his balance is right.

This advice is wrong and dangerous. Plyometric exercises build explosive power in the muscles. They do not build the stabiliser muscles. If anything they stress the stabilisers if they are not sufficiently strengthened. Plyometrics are extremely taxing and should not be attempted until you are able to squat properly.

8. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Set up a bench in front of you or stand in front of a wall. Let your toes touch the wall and then squat down. Go with your hips out and knees can only touch the wall do not force yourself away from the wall.

9. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Wow...for the most part every post in here is giving great advice!!!

I would avoid doing a box squat though and go straight to full squats (ATG). Do yourself a favor and do a search on full squats and you will find TONS of supporting evidence that they are beneficial AS LONG AS THEY ARE DONE PROPERLY!!! To do them properly, your knees WILL go over your toes. I have yet to find anyone still saying they are bad that has ANY evidence whatsoever. The trick is to make sure you push off through your HEELS and not your TOES!! Pushing with your toes can lead to problems.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Why would you avoid the box squats?

11. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Not as good for the knees due to the stop with all the tension on them in an akward position. I understand that they are a tried and true method for many people and they do work. However, IMO if you are gonna do the squats, and you plan on doing full, or ATG, squats anyways, why do the box squats?

I was doing them prior to doing research into the full squat because I always heard that full squats were bad (not true AT ALL). I was doing a decent weight also. Then I started doing the full squats with a much lower weight. In a matter of a few weeks I noticed that my knees where stronger and not popping as much. The full squat helps improve your knee in many, many ways. I am trying to find the initial article that I read about them because it has so much good info in one location.

Again, I know the box version works, but the long term effects are much better with a full squat. So just my opinion.