My keylock sucks!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

When I'm not getting my ass kicked totally, I seem to end up in the side control position a lot, where I usually go for the americana/kimura because I like the submission. I'm having some trouble pulling it off though, and it often becomes a battle of strength between me and the guy on the bottom. I get keylocked easily by blue belts 40 pounds lighter than me, so there's gotta be more to the submission that brute powwa.

Any suggestions on how to get a more energy efficient keylock?

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think you've got work on going with the flow and using your partners power against him. If you are struggling to get say the kimura and your are resisting with power vs power, try and take the opponents arm into the americana.

Also try and maintain control of your opponents shoulder with you elbows and hands.

Failing that try to change position or try another submission. One of the things I found helpful was not to get tunnel vision and try something else rather than work on one technique that your opponent is already wise to. IMHO its better to try other things than get caught up in the "I've gotta get a particular sub" mindset. I would prefer to try something else and maybe lose position and get subbed myself than spend a minute or two trying to force one sub.

In my limited experience subs usually only work when the technique is done correctly and surprises your opponent. if they see it coming you probably wont get it.

3. Adam

Adam New Member

YES! That's what I've been doing wrong all the time. Thanks JD :)

I already jockey for better position when I can, it's just that I feel pretty comfortable in the sidemount and I have a good rate of success with keylocks.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

These are two of my favourite subs that always seem to end up using. Basically, like johndoch said, try and flow to the other sub if one isn't coming on and your fighting strength vs. strength. If he is stretching his arm out just go for a flat arm bar or a wrist lock. Something I like to do it distract them by smothering their face with my arms, ragging it around a bit if I've got knees and elbows tucked in to keep their head off the ground, any kind of distraction is good. If it really isn't working then I might start to grab the neck to see if they loosen up a bit, which by this time usually happens and you can quickly go back to the kimura or keylock, whichever is appropriate. If none of this works or I feel like a change of attack would be easier, I just go for the mount and choke immediately, or go for the armbar. Clock choke works sometimes too if you are any good at them (which I'm not) and if you're using gis. Always remember to think what the opponent is thinking rather than just thinking of your attack, because a counter can come from nowhere and suddenly your mounted, especially against physically strong opponents. You probably know this but it's just a reminder that some people lose sight of sometimes.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Don't try and force him to give you up a limb.. you've gotta relax and take what your given. Save your strength for when you need it most.

If your in side control and your after the keylock and it's just not happening, then swap into mount and work from there.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

If the rules let you knee him from side mount :)