My Invitation to the Event of the Year!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, May 22, 2013.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

So, I woke up this morning and found this gem in my inbox. I can only assume that since this was sent to me unsolicited, it was intended to be shared with everyone here.

It's my invitation to the "2013 Masters (sic) Hall of Fame" ceremony. As everyone here likely knows, my views on such organisations are not especially pleasant, and receiving this badly spelled and atrociously punctuated travesty of an email was not what I wanted at 5:30 this morning!

What's entertaining are the new titles that I haven't seen before, namely "Senior Grandmaster", "Great Grandmaster" and "Ahgung".

I genuinely do not see the point in these Halls of Fame, and have had more than enough evidence in the past to convince me that a large number of them pad out their numbers by inducting people who have no knowledge of the organisation in question in order to gain credibility. As such, if any of your association instructors hgas made it into this list, it might be worth drawing it to their attention in case someone is unfairly using their name to give their business more legitimacy.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Damn. Always the bridesmaid. Never the bride. :(

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Obviously my cheque never cleared.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

All joking aside a table full of drunk MAPpers heckling the stage would be a joy to behold!

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Looking at their store , I'm tempted , damn those rings look cool !;)

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Those rings are just straight up pimpin'.

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Would be great to see Master Ken do a skit live at the gig.

Just to see the confussed looks on their faces whist they try to work out if he is sending them up or as serious as they are?

Gary

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ah Gung is Cantonese for (an affectionate way) of saying Grampa

In the Triad world its a high rank. As they refer to everyone as a family member.

Grampa - Ah Gung
    i
    Big Brother - Dai Lo
    i
    Brother/Sister (same rank) Ah Gor/Ah Mui

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Since no discussion should be one-sided, I'm going to say "Congratulations - from what I know, you deserve the honor."

I was inducted into the Action Martial Arts Hall of Fame a few years ago - the reason I accepted was because my instructor and the senior students of the dojang had met and chose to use it as a way of thanking me for my achievements/hard work over the years at the school. As such, I took it as a sincere offering, went to the dinner (it was superb), enjoyed the company (some great people there) and the entertainment (also good), did some short clinics with some awesome people (and watched some demos), and then accepted the award with grace. Now, granted, I didn't buy the ring, even though it looked cool!

I hope that maybe someone who knows you well nominated you for very pure reasons and that there is a level of sincerity behind it. If so, you might even consider accepting the gift and thanking the people who nominated you. Or, if it was sent just to solicit money, exact your vengeance in an even-handed manner. :D

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I wasn't offered an award, just invited to the ceremony, for which they expected me to pay. A rather bizarre offer, I must say!

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Can I lead a drunken, nekkid MAP conga round the hall as the awards are being handed out, legs akimbo?

Or will I be on my own?

Again.

Mitch :D

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I'll join in!

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Oh - I see. That is odd.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's like to invite you to be a judge in a tournament but you still have to buy your ticket to enter. It makes no businese sense to me.

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

*Readies camera*...:eek: :cool:

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You'll be needing a wide angle lens on that camera, yeah baby!

For our stomach girth. Everything else will need close focus and high resolution.

Mitch :D

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

NO!

No close ups!

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It sounds just like a MAP meet, only with 'blingy' rings instead of mankinis.

Maybe everyone who attends a MAP meet could be awarded a blingy ring like theirs?

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2wD35MBI8&sns=em"]Master Ken's Acceptance Speech - YouTube[/ame]

He's in at one anyway. :D

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Love it - awards for people who have been fleecing the public for years, because it is so unfair that people who have achieved absolutely nothing other than perpetuating nonsense don't have any real trophies or awards they decided to create their own!

Count me in Grandmaster Mattt!