My introduction to the forum

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Novembers Paul, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Novembers Paul

Novembers Paul New Member

Greetings everyone! This is my first post at these forums, although I've been lurking for quite sometime. I've recently come to the decision it's time to walk the path once more. I'll give you a bit of background, and my present condition.

My name is Paul, and I consider myself a Martial Artist. I am currently 34 years old, and started my training back when I was 14. I trained at a school in the suburbs of Chicago called The American Martial Arts Academy. They taught a blend of martial arts, built upon the Jeet Kune Do concept, consisting of Kickboxing, boxing, Jun Fan, and Filipino arts Kali, and Escrima. As time went on, new instructors were brought into the school, and we were encouraged to attend seminars to add as many tools into our style as possible. I was exposed to many amazing arts, as well as people. Ron Balicki became our schools senior instructor, who taught under Guru Dan Inosanto. I have also studied Tacosa Serrada Escrima under Master Jimmy Tacosa, Kali, Penjak Silat, Muay Thai, Shooto, French Savate kickboxing... Just about anything I could wrap my brain around. I lived for the arts. It was a very strong part of my life. After the school had closed, and Ron Balicki moved to California to manage the Inosanto Academy, I moved my training to the Degerberg Academy in Chicago.

I began showing signs on my illness young, having leg numbness, and lower back pain. I always thought it was training injury, because after a few days, the pain would subside, I would ease back into training, and soon I'd be 100% again.

It was 8 years ago, when the pain became too great, a few MRIs, and I was diagnosed with several spinal conditions including Spinal Stenosis, and Spondylitis. The Stenosis is a degenerative disease, causing the bone and disc to create pressure on the spinal cord. There is no cure, and eventually I've been told paralysis may be a reality. It's more or less dealing with intense pain and leg numbness 24 hours a day.

I've been addicted to Vicodin and pain killers for over 6 years, also battling depression, insomnia, and the harsh reality of being on permanent disability and not providing for my wife and daughter the way I always felt I needed to. I have seen rock bottom, and needed to do much soul searching.

Being away from the training and the martial arts I love, has been more then difficult, not only mentally, but physically as well. From not moving, and no longer training, I gained an obscene amount of weight, and I'm positive that has a huge impact on my condition. My mental therapy has come in the form of the metal band I'm the vocalist of, Novembers Doom. I've been able to use this as a creative outlet, and it's been my crutch for years, but it's never been able to fill the void left from the arts.

Basically, I have decided it's time to get back into the swing of things, obviously not in the same way as I once could, but I still consider myself a martial artist, and I need this in my life more now then ever.

I'm not looking for sympathy of any kind, I was just happy to see a forum that I can address my issues, and get some feedback, some training tips, and overall support from people in similar situations.

You'll be seeing a lot more of me here at the forums, and I welcome all comments, suggestions, and words of wisdom... Hell, I'll even take some insults! :)

Peace in the arts, everyone!

Paul

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome Paul.

Thanks for introducing yourself - I hope we can provide you some help. I hope you enjoy it here.

You maybe able to help others here too - its a bit of a support system going here :D

Please check out other parts of the forum - including journals, photo gallery and articles :)

I look forward to hearing more about your journey..

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Welcome Paul and congratulations for all you have overcome and all that you conquer on a daily basis. I know someone very close to me with spinal stenosis. I know how much pain there is. I applaud your decision to get back into MA and continued success. You are an inspiration to me and I have no limitations that I am aware of. Keep up the fight! :cool: :Angel:

4. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

hi paul. good to see another jkd'er on here.
    looks like you trained under some really cool people.
    look forward to seeing you on the jkd forum

5. Novembers Paul

Novembers Paul New Member

Thanks Melanie, I have been checking out this entire site. It's hours and hours of information!

Tel, I've been blessed to train with some of the nicest people I've met. I'll be jumping into the JKD and the FMA forums more often for sure!

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to MAP Paul... glad to have you! :)

I am hoping that this particular forum (Disabled Martial Artists) is used more often.

Any informative discussion is most welcome here ... !

7. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Welcome

Greetings Paul. Welcome to the board.

8. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Greetings Paul and welcome to MAP..