my Gym is irresponsible ?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by de Beuker, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

To be honest, neither of them are ready to compete in amateur boxing. I thought that they were first timers in the ring having a spar. I didn't realize that the guy in the black tee had been training for 7 months. But then again, he could of been far worse when he started and 7 months isn't that long as far as training goes.

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Gym does seem irresponsible, competing for the sake of competition is never worth it. Master the basics first, have some sound strategy and compete when ready.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

My post #9 As for the video, did the trainer purposely match a experience with a non-experience? Did the trainer do this to cast out the fear of sparring from the non-experience?

The savage beating is subjected to the participants as well. Anyone could have stepped out when they wanted to. There are people who do not like to spar (As I when I started) Most I have taught who did not like it, was out of fear. Some, were more pacifist. In my case, I was concerned with controlling my temper and rage - the primary reason when I started. I have seen (and experienced) sparring injuries, that could also seem to negate confidence. As for sparring in boxing, there will be a injury or a rare KO. One of my instructors came from a "boxing family". I spoke to him last night. He said there were occasional bloody noses and mouths as well as the very rare KO in sparring. Upon my explanation of the video, he also stated that he needed to have been there to actually make comments. He also stated there were many people who went to the boxing gym, no matter that their time spent, their skills were still low. And that they sparred anyway. Some even resigned, He harshly stated, people should know what they getting into and if they do and accepted it, they should expect the good and the bad

Per my Post #2, Without being there, it would seem they mis-matched the spar session. From watching a video, we cannot actually or completely state what should or should not have been done. We were not there. We do not know the trainer nor the participants. Watching and commenting on that video is like watching a police shooting. We cannot, just by watching a video, come to a conclusive point. On another point, without being there, I would rather further investigate per hearing from the trainer and both participants

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Okay, I admit it - I'm getting confused.

At first I thought, they were at a competition (within their club), but suddenly half the people are talking sparring (as in: During training).

It's a big difference though, isn't it?

I sparred right in my first training session in kickboxing (very slowl of course, since I had no protection whatsoever) and still do it.
    I'm there for a few months now, but can only attend classes once a week (which makes the "...after 7 months..." a thing of: How often is he there. That's why I mentioned me going only once/ week).
    The sparring now is faster, I get hit all the time and my movement is certainly terrible for people who do it longer - but I keep learning and even managed to hit my teacher once.

My point is: If that's only training/ sparring - it doesn't have to look good, because it should be more about learning, especially after only a few months, shouldn't it?

If it's a competition... Well, in that case even I (and since I'm rather inexperienced that's a bit concerning) can see, that at least the dude in green shouldn't be in a ring yet. Not for competitions.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In which case no one should be getting their bell rung to any great degree (unless there's an accident).

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pinko....:evil:

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my god I loved the editing at the end xD

Hell no dude in green shouldn't be fighting. Look at that footwork when he takes a punch. This video looks like a highlight of a guy who is picking up the basics (black shirt) being put in with a guy who just came in off the street (green shirt). From my experience that's done to help the person who has been there a while learn self control and to relax. The black shirt guy was pretty flat footed but he looks like he's getting it, so there is probably some decent instruction there?

Place has a nice ring, looks like a decent facility. Just look out for yourself OP.

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Has anyone noticed that the vid is composed of one to two second frames that have been spliced in between the other frames and repeated over and over?

Green-shirt one-two-one'd into our left corner beginning at about 1.5 sec, then the - I guess it was supposed to have been an overhand right that misses - at that point, around 5 seconds, green-shirt does that ... [​IMG] thing with his arms then eats a right.

Watch it at 1/4 speed and you'll easily see that the 20 sec vid is almost entirely made up of 5 seconds.

Whatever the original intent of filming the match, whoever uploaded it did it for the purpose of making a cartoon for their entertainment.

I'd very much echo what Ero said - watch your back cause these guys aren't going to - hope its not your gym owner getting his kick's n giggles from this.

9. 47MartialMan

Was it fighting or sparring? Without talking to the others there or in the ring, we really do not know what is actually being done, and for what reason. I have seen people at many arts/schools longer than others and still look like they need more practice. Does this mean, never let them spar?

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

No argument from me here, I totally agree!

11. 47MartialMan

I do we know it wasn't a accident or someone who can't take a punch?

Glass jaw, easy bleeder comes to mind

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was under the impression, that Smitfire meant that it can't be a good thing, if people get ko'ed during training all the time - and I agree there.

The main goal of sparring shouldn't be to get knocked out all the time. After all, it's "only" training and not competition.

If you have some dude there who does his first sparring ever and really goes down with the first hit - that's very unfortunate, but there was no way of knowing that beforehand.
    But after it's known it can't be, that the same dude get ko'ed every session, because he can't take a hit.
    Then it's up the coaches, that they match him with someone who fights very controlled.
    Or the coach sends someone to "fight" him with instructions not to hit back but only to work on his defense.

13. belltoller

A person's first sparring should always be with an opponent who is very experienced (read controlled).

I don't think it realised how dangerous KO's can be. They not only should not happen "all the time" in sparring but they should be exceedingly rare.

14. 47MartialMan

But that's my point. We do not know what was going on. We were not there. We did not speak to those in the video. Does it say in the video that someone gets KOed in every session? What are the actual details of the whole session besides the video? If a person "can't take a hit", should he resign from such a contact activity? We do not know all of the details of the teacher, or the participants

Agreed. But do we know that guys continues to get "KOed? What details do we know that we can actually come to a definitive deduction?

15. belltoller

Oh, we cannot (and should not) come to any sort of definitive conclusion based on this video and the sparse details given by the OP.

As I'd mentioned before, this vid is made up of short frames that've been spliced together - presumably for the purpose of making the subject look as silly as possible. It looks like ( I could be very wrong ) the editor used two frame sequences (lets say, for example, the fellow took 3 shots and/or attempted counters, two of those three were cut and re-spliced back in at different points of the vid to make it appear as if he were taking 5) which might suggest that the other parts of the sparring match did not find the subject of the vid looking quite so silly.

Not saying that green-shirt might have actually turned in a Golden Gloves performance here - of course not in any way whatsoever - but things may not have been so bad as they seem to appear based on the vid alone.

Which is a very long, circuitous way of saying pretty much what you said.

That's the vid - I'm not going by that - they may have all (including the subject of the vid) been in on it and done it just for fun.

I'm going strictly by
    ===========

Seems the vid has been removed...hmmm

16. 47MartialMan

"the guy in the green shirt was ko in the first round when the belll rings he was not getting up for 15 / 20 sec and still the let hem do the 2e round! "

Many times in sparring, I got bloodied, kicked in the genitals, KOed (rare), after a short break, I still went on to spar moments after

I would think it was up to the person (getting KOed) if they wanted to continue

17. belltoller

You're so old school, it ain't funny! lol.

I reckon it all pivots on what one means by "ko'd" - the only experience with a ko during sparring I had resulted in the person going into partial limb convulsions, needing smelling saltz to be revived ( and being revived only after great efforts ) and never really recovering from it.

I know that has to be very rare - but still it does leave a deep emotional impression when the idea of "being ko'd during sparring" comes up.

18. 47MartialMan

Not only am I "old scool", I am old :evil:

KOed-Partial limb convulsions.....revived from great efforts...what they get it by...a truck?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  19. belltoller

Worse...a new guy.

He'd just signed up (the ko' er) - in fact I don't think he was even through his free trial yet. He was new to our class but he must've had experience elsewhere cause it warn't long afterwards that our BI sent him to fight in a regional, IIRC.

Did you ever see Ero-Sennin's video where he was knocked out during an ammy bout? That was the size difference. It could've been even greater and I know the weight difference was far greater.

Except the fellow at my gym who was knocked out was around our age - had been a boxing student for a good while.

20. 47MartialMan

In the 70's, as a prank, some of us males in school (grade school-not martial art) would hold our breath while another bear hugged. This made us pass out. The others would then get a teacher. the teacher would revived the "victim and send them to the school nurse. Where he would could a decent length break.

This fad spread to other schools. Where a student did not revive quickly and had to be sent to a hospital (so we were told). Needless to sate, we stopped this