My first tourny coming up

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Well, I went yesterday I helped roll out mats and move heavy things at The Revolution, a tournament held in Sumner, WA. I really regret not competing, even though I'd have my butt handed to me. It looked like a blast. They had over 140 competitors, and it looks like this particular event is going to need a bigger facility. They had matches running on two mats for 7 hours straight.

But on a good note, a tournament was being advertised up in Seattle on April 28th. I can't remember what it's called or who's hosting it, but it looked like it was going to be pretty big. I'll try and compete in the gi/white belt division at 185 lbs. So, there it is. I have about 1 1/2 months to learn a takedown or two, sprawl until I die, and drop 10 lbs.

I've never been involved in competitive sports or anything, so I'm a little nervous about getting out there and actually COMPETING. At my advanced age, my adrenaline will kick in and I'll need a nap! :D But, I speak in front of large groups of people almost every day, teaching classes of between 300 and 2000 students at a time. So, I should be able to manage my anxiety (yeah, right).

Any tips or advice for my first competition?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ahh good one.
    Don't think about it... just get in and give it a go.

Chances are you will be able to compete more than just once. You're training should kick in. So just train like you normally would. You're instructor may have you doing a bit of extra stuff to build up your endurance as well.

Just go and have fun. :D
    BJJ comps are a good time. The atmosphere is real postitive and you learn to get the heebie jeebies out of your system.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Will do. I'm sure I'll have stuff to say about it on my training blog.

4. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Work your cardio. Your nerves will sap some of your gas. My first match ever, my heart was racing. But I went for and got a double leg. Then, like Slip said, my training kicked in. I was less nervous and instantly thought about how to pass the guard.

Working sprawl and takedowns is good too. It sucks to be down 0-2 and it rules to be up 2-0 right off the bat. Do be prepared for 'guard pullers' though. Im my experience alot of BJJ scholls neglect takedowns so they just pull guard in tournaments.

Another thing I do, is at the end of class when I'm tired, I get guys to get me in bad positions(mount,back mount, side control) and work on getting out in 15 secs or less.