My first lesson of capoeira

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Bozza Bostik, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Why not? It's a ton of fun and I find it quite a good way of exercising. Maybe it's just me, but it really hits my core and loosens me up.

There's a fascinating history behind it all too...If you like that kinda thing.

Where are you going to train? What style of capoeira is it?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What's macaco? Been a while since I read about capoeira. I've forgotten everything. :(

3. Bozza Bostik

This...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdB8bfxRVzo"]Monkey[/ame]

I wondered if I could mix escrima with capoeira...don't think I'll be trying that with a barong though! ;)

4. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

I don't know the style as yet - The Mestre is in Brazil right now. I am currently doing research on the art as I type. Capoeira makes for interesting reading. The history appears far reaching and has significant impact. I am contemplating learning Portuguese to aid my understanding of the art - I learned Ninjuitsu for a number of years and struggled with naming the moves because I didn't know Japanese!!

5. Bozza Bostik

Yeah - I find the names in capoeira a bit hard to remember. I struggle with the pronunciation too...I'm not too good with languages anyway.

It doesn't help that it is another art I practice that different schools / styles might have different names for the same technique :bang:

6. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

To help with my motivation I have started a Twitter page to show my progress. Just a way to keep me thinking a must not let those who follow me down rather than myself - I don't appear to care about myself enough!

7. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

How do I change that "Registered Mapper" thing below my name?

8. Bozza Bostik

You can change it through the User CP and edit your details.

Send me a link to your Twitter thing if you want (I think you need to post more before you can PM people). It'll be fun to keep an eye on how you are doing. I've only had a few lessons myself..and it'll be the first time I have ever read Twitter. :)

Edit: There's a training log section on MAP...might be good to add stuff there and then we can shout at you if you haven't been practicing aus.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

just visit:

https://twitter.com/CapoeiraIpswich

Will give the Log a look - bare in mind I work shifts and sometimes will not be able to go, but I will try to arrange practice sessions with the other guys there to supplement.

What part of the "edit you details" section? Can't see anything relevant. Maybe I can't do that for a while too?

10. Bozza Bostik

Under 'Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members.'

Custom User Title

Cheers for the link thing. I'll keep an eye on it.

I think it's pretty easy to practice capoeira in the house though. I only train once a week at the moment, so I practice the kicks and moves in the house and then kinda try and put it all together...kinda "shadow boxing".

I also do like 20 handstands, 20 headstands and 20 cartwheels of each side and stuff like that. I try and do bodyweight exercises that help capoeira; handstand push ups, L-sits etc.

There's some good instructional videos on youtube if you need to check the technique after class etc.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  11. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

Yep - looks like I can't do that yet then - Never mind! Will keep an eye on it for when it comes available to me, many thanks for the info.

Good drills regarding home training - will take that if you don't mind! Looked at loads of videos on youtube and can see some really crazy moves I probably won't ever be able to do but maybe I can aspire to do them?

Time will tell..........

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, nor I. Mind you, I wouldn't try that with a feather pillow either.

13. Bozza Bostik

I stole them from other people too! As for other things to do, you could check out this thread for ideas:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113339&highlight=animal+drills

I mentioned that the drills would be good for capoeira in the thread, turned up to class and we did half the moves during the warm up. But I am not an expert on MAs or "fitness" so...

Some of the high level stuff is really fantastic. I don't worry about it and just "enjoy the journey", the destination isn't so important. :) Whether it's MA or playing guitar, I really enjoy the learning experience. People get to caught up in the end result (IMHO).

Our school has an acrobatics class on Sunday nights. It's in a gymnastics centre, so they have all the crash mats and bouncey floors and that. I am thinking I'll go there in a few months and start to work on stuff. I've always wanted to be able to do gymnastics, just seems like an amazing thing to be able to do...I'd rather have a go and fail miserably than be kicking myself in ten years.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh absolutely. If I had ready access to a facility like that, I'd want to do the same. I should just sneak into my kids' tumbling class.

15. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

First hurdle in my training - tooth abcess has made my face swell up, dentist has drained it but will need surgery! I will still go but try to take it easy and really focus on the fundamentals. That will teach me not to ignore tooth ache. Dentist said another day and the swelling would have completely closed one eye!

Not going to let this stop me.

16. Bozza Bostik

Ouch! That sucks...Just take it easy, I am sure you'll be fine. You won't be getting kicked in the face or anything. :)

17. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

Hopefully they will leave my face alone! I'm ugly enough as it is!

I want to focus on the most important thing in any martial art - foot work. And seeing as Capoeira is mostly that I should be fine! I'll just be studying more than actioning. Observing and practicing mainly the ginga.

18. Bozza Bostik

hah!

I didn't find the basic ginga movement that difficult...in some ways the ginga in capoeira is similar to some of the escrima (I do that too) footwork. There's other similarities too, both use a cross step now and again.

Getting the ginga low enough and keeping it going is not so easy though. I have huge flexibility and mobility problems.

19. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

My problem is my huge tractor tyre round my waist - part of the point. I do seem to have better flexibility than most with my body frame so hopefully will get on ok!

I can even still do a cartwheel! Even though I am over 30 years old and abused my body for many a year! Mostly KFC. . . . I discovered I could still do it when my 7 year old daughter returned from gymnastics class last summer and showed me what she learned. . . . She was shocked, my wife was speechless and I was . . . . Breathless!

20. Rhomulous

Rhomulous New Member

Ok. First look at Capoeira today, had to sit at the side because of current medical irritations.
    Was a very small class but this was put down to time of year and the fact the main instructor is in Spain right now.
    I found myself wanting to get stuck in but had to hold back. Maybe in a couple of days I might try and practice what I saw.