My First Day in Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by MasteR-[G], Jul 26, 2005.

1. MasteR-[G]

MasteR-[G] New Member

just started my judo class ystrday and i quite had fun doing the basics, the rollings, break falls and some physical stuff. But for me, there was a bit feeling of confusion since my training in Kickboxing (Yaw-Yan), i was trained to disable or be agressive to attack the opponent in a -shall i say "brutal way" while in judo, it's the other way around. In Judo, it is more of a sports than an art of fighting. Since being a sport, you have to protect your opponent as yourself which is the otherway in my training in kickboxing.

I really want to learn Judo so much since for me it would add up skills of being an effective fighter. I just want to know if it's okay to learn the combat judo immediately or i still need to learn first the sport judo? I just want to know.

Btw, my bestfriend, a US Army KIA in Iraq, told me before that they had judo as part of their military training. was able to get this cool e-book from judoinfo.com. http://judoinfo.com/pdf/USArmyFieldManual.pdf
    Those i guess are the stuff that i really want to learn. Real hand-to-hand combat i could use in a fight. SOme kinda action stuff...

2. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Except for the old police kata and throws, most self-defense aspects of judo remain.

The difference between training sport and training SD is that you can actually train sport, through throwing and tapping in groundwork. Obviously there are things in Judo that do not apply to SD (read: turtling) but much of it does. If you want combat Judo, chances are your dojo won't teach it in much detail and there won't be nearly as many practitioners. My suggestion is stick with sport, it gives you the most room to compete and increase your skills actively. If you want SD, ask your sensei to give you some base guidelines, look at military manuals, expand your newaza (removing time limits etc.) and look up how BJJ people do no-gi holds then practice practice practice all the time with your buddies at home or someplace.

3. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think even sport judo will still give you decent real-world fighting skills. Get rid of the tapping and the mats and you've got an art that's just as str33t l3th4l as anything else. The main problem is the lack of striking, but it seems that you've got that covered anyway.

4. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Having been rattled by being slammed into the mat a number of times, I think "sport" judo does just fine as a fighting art. This was your first day after all. Stick it out. Go compete. You might begin to see the ways the throws can work in a fight.

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

bai... i envy you!!! i was supposed to start judo too... but broke a finger. where in cebu are you taking up judo? and... is it really a total new game coming from a different striking art? does it compliment with each other?

6. MasteR-[G]

MasteR-[G] New Member

THank you guys for enlightening me. Yes ill stick practising judo, there's just so much to be learn from this art. I know im still learning 1% of judo's techniques so i still have a long way to go. Ill soon learn to appreciate judo once i get to know the advance techniques w/c i could say, i can use in a real combat. Anyway, tonight would be my 2nd day of training. Im excited to go there.

bai, yes im from cebu. how about u? are living in the same place also? if you are interested enrolling judo just let me know. ill be glad to accompany you. anyway, im learning judo along w/ kickboxing (Yaw-Yan) w/c i am already in my 5th month. And yes, a number of guys here and from other forum sites told me that kickboxing and judo compliment well w/ each other esp. if you're interested in MMA.

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

i'm in manila but my parents live there. thanks for the offer though. since i envy you, i'll do my best to get my finger well very soon and start judo too so we can exchange notes!

good luck dude!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  8. MasteR-[G]

MasteR-[G] New Member

wow that's great, let me know once your here in cebu. hope we can meet one of these days.

by the way, i had fun w/ my last session. my judo instructor introduced me to grappling. it kinda pretty tought game, and very exhausting too. but it was fun, i loved it. im looking forward to my next session w/c is later this evening.

9. hollywood1340

hollywood1340 Valued Member

Brutal it is...

"I may venture to say, loosely, that in Judo there is a sort of counter for every twist, wrench, pull, push or bend. Only the Judo expert does not oppose such movements at all. No, he yields to them. But he does much more than yield to them. He aids them with a wicked sleight that causes the assailant to put out his own shoulder, to fracture his own arm, or in a desperate case, even to break his own neck or back. "
    -Lafcadio Hearn

10. pink warrior

pink warrior New Member

i think one of my favourite things to do in judo is the rolls, lol.

11. Aaron Fields

Aaron Fields Valued Member

I have been at judo for some time, and I don't think there is really such thing as advanced technique. The simple stuff is what works, complexity is just simple tied together, and perhaps an adaptation of angles. The Russians did some interesting charting of success of specific techniques at a world class level, nothing tricky showed up. Have fun, becasue in the end that is the real reason to study a combative.

Aaron Fields
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

12. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

I dont quite agree with you Aaron. I am more of a "researchive" type judoka. I oanalyze all the moves I make, and constantly try to improve them. There more I learn, there more I have to learn.
    Yes, you can do thing the "robotic" way. As in just repeat what your sensei told you, and if it works, great. If it doesnt work, then it just aint for you. Right?
    I abandoded that approach years ago, and started going my own path. What if I switch balance slightly here? What if I change the grip there?
    What if instead of sweeping the leg towards myself, I sweep it sideways?

Granted, the moves can be kept simple. But what's the fun in that? ;)
    I try to seek for more challenges, and constantly seek to improve my tecnniques.

13. Aaron Fields

Deepfreeze,

I think you missed my point, I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. But to me, what you are describing is just doing judo. As my judo is classified often as Russian style judo, thanks to my time living and practicing in the Eastern Block, my approach to judo is very adaptive. But then, that is just good judo, making the technique work for you.

What I am saying is the principles of judo are simple, as are the bio-mechanics of the technique themselves. In addition, unlike some combative/combative sport there is no "secret techniques" that are taught at some level.

Finally, complex movements in judo are really just a series of simple ones tied together. You say that you are in a constant effort to make your techniques work better, who isn't?

Aaron Fields
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

14. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

Ahh, that's what you get for just quickly browsing topics without too much attention paid.

Yes, the principles are simple. No doubt about it. But I would like to know what moves you mean with these "secret" techniques? I can think of some combinations, or pressure points, but otherwise it's mostly just a scam.

What Imean with the improving part is quite hard to explain. It's just that I see way too many people who merely "improve" themselves by always asking the instructor how to do something. They either dont have the capability or the initiative to start figuring out on their own.

15. Aaron Fields

Deep,

As to secret techniques...I have no idea, I don't know any. :D I am inclined to think that the "death-touch" is a bunch of hocus pocus. But, I do know that there are combative/combative sports out there that claim such things.

As to the improvement statement, I agree with you, but often folks try to start that process before they are ready. You need a technical base in order to get the full benfit. But, then most instructors in combative and combative sports are not trained teachers. In our club we use a educational model, with the various stages of understanding and the same general outline for skill aquisition. Before I was a firefighter I was a teacher.

Aaron Fields

16. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

How true that is! And true in most arts too. And its not until you've studied hard and long struggling to grasp the complexities that you realise it!

17. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

Yep, that's why I included "capability" statement. But still that is way too common. All the way up to the black belts, who simply have no innovation. They just repeat what their senseis taught them years ago.

In our club in order to become an instructor, you are required to go through courses. Ofcourse not arranged by our club or for profit, but simply to insure the level of teaching is high enough. But unfortunately many of the instructors still lack the basic skills and understanding of the essence of judo.
    And when the instructors dont know the basics, they cant teach em forward. Which leads into unfortunate downward spiral, and eventually everyone becomes a "robot".

Just these things in mind, I agreed to take a new class to teach which is starting in few weeks.I plan to implement few new instructional methods that me and my coach came up with. I want to put the emphasis back to the judo'ish methods and way of doing things. Instead of robotic repetition and brute force.

18. beef

beef New Member

I had my first Judo lesson yesterday!

All went quite well, got thrown about 30 times but still walking (just about) today! :D

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Only 30? They must have been going easy on you ;)

20. beef

beef New Member

lol I'm delicate....