My First Class- Very Nervous

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mrs Owt, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Hello All! In my dojo it is a requirement that we learn to teach as we progress through the ranks. Well, it is my turn to run an entire class. I must do the warm-up, set the lesson and make sure everything runs smoothly. Of course the regular BB's will be there to make sure everything is okay but I am rather nervous to take this on. I fall apart in front of crowds and am very worried about actually planning a lesson (what sort of drills or what area should I cover) and then forgetting all that I have planned in a fit of nerves.

I am lucky that the sensei's have basically given me free reign in what I teach even if it isn't technically "karate". They said I can even pull stuff from my other MA training. So I have decided to work on clinch and drills related to such. We can't do groundwork because no mats so I figure working in that intermediate stage will be something a little new and different for the class. Any advice on this and tips on conquering nerves would be great!:)

I hope this is the right place for this thread, sorry if it isn't.

:D Anything:D

2. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

Thats cool to switch up the training a little different from what they normally do. I love when we have a guest instructor and they teach something totally different from the norm.

Make it something that they will talk about :)

As for tips about getting over your nerves... i have no experience myself but i've watched a few black belt instructor classes at our school and they seem to get over their fear pretty quick once they actually start doing some stuff with the class. Just get to actually demonstrating stuff pretty quick so you don't have to stand up there and talk too long.

Good luck man.

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Thanks for the good wishes Stratiotes. Getting down to it quick seems like a good idea. Just hope I don't talk to fast - I do that when I get nervous. Big problem in this whole thing is that it is a mixed adult/kid class. I've got ages 7 - 60, how do I keep it fun for the kids yet relevant and interesting for the adults? I am getting more and more nervous just thinking about it.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yoda's tip of the day:

Treat the adults like kids and the kids like adults.

Not as daft as it initially sounds :D

5. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

Ahh that's not good. Teaching kids and adults together sounds complicated. Our school not only splits the kids from the adults, but adult beginners from advanced. I think it's much easier to learn this way. It's probably alot more intimidating then it will actually be once you start though.

6. Yoshukai

Yoshukai New Member

lol.. our dojo has all the adults and kids mushed together.. regardless of rank.

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Just wondering your rank in the art?

Now, i'm not an instructor, but i would play it safe for the first class and plan it along the lines of what your instructor teaches, along with a few of your own ideas. :)

8. Yoshukai

Yoshukai New Member

well.. on 2/5 days it happens

9. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

10. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Anything

Good luck
    Braking up the regular practice is always a nice change. But one hint. Teach something you can do and have self confidence in.

And most off all try and have fun.

No matter what the grade is, you must show restrain as a teacher.

Anyhow have fun and tell us how it went.

Regards Kerling
    ps. We did a single stance for 50 minutes yesterday damn damn damn it was good

11. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Do you think it'll make me popular if I try this:D ? I think I'll stick to something that won't get me lynched in the parking lot!

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement:) .

12. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

Anything, what is the name of your school ? I want to come check it out.

13. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I belong to the North Winnipeg Isshinryu Karate Club. Non-profit and just rents space so we don't have a phone number. I will PM you dates and location and times so you can come see it.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

plan ur training session at home. sit down and think about it. start with warming up and stretching. how much time will that take? in the articles section i have written about exercises that can be used at the beginning of the training session. if u run out of ideas, use some of the ones i described in my article.

think about the main part of the training session. will u revise what they did last time? and add something new to it? will they train in pairs? how much time do u need for the things they will be expected to do? it wouldn't be ok if u were in the middle of teaching them something and the time ran out.

u can add some relaxation exercises at the end of the training session.

whatever u do, explain it to ur students and demonstrate, explain the purpose of the exercise, how, when, why they can use it. don't demonstrate only once. also when doing the stretching exercises, explain them to ur students, tell them which muscles they are supposed to stretch, or ask them where they feel the stretching. talk to them. ask them if there are any questions. but don't forget that they have to behave. finally, it's a dojang, not a playground. treat all of them equally.

don't worry Anything, u'll do fine. before u start, take a deep breathe, inhale, exhale and do ur thing. once u start, u'll see how wonderful teaching can be.

good luck, and let me know how it went :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  15. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Thanks neryo_tkd! I think I have the lesson down, actually I am going to print some drills from MAP tonight and review them with my family as my 'class'. I really think my biggest barrier is nerves. Hopefully if I know my stuff cold and yet am still able to deal with the curves kids will always throw you I will come out of it with my dignity intact and maybe someone will actually have learned something!

16. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Hope the nerves fade Anything.
    Remember they want it to work the same as you do.
    There should probably be a fair percentage of what you do that is very similar each wek. Let that be the backbone of your planning.
    As for introducing new material.
    Be prepared to explain what you want them to do. Show them it.
    Tell them a little about why you want them to do it. Then let them do it. Resist the urge to explain too much. I know that might seem an odd suggestion. Let them try it. Give praise for good results and good efforts. Possibly some feedback on common errors but dont be afraid to move on. If the activity is worth doing you will return to practice it another week.
    And remember to enjoy your teaching.

17. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

another thing you can do that i've seen a couple of our subbing or guest instructors do, is ask us what we'd like to work on. He'd have us vote, who wants to work on conditioning, who wants to work on technique, etc.

18. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Thank you Teacher, Stratiotes and Neryo_tkd, your comments have helped me think through it a little more calmly with better focus. Fortunately my instructor called today and said I needed to hand in a written lesson plan. I can't believe how much this has helped calm my nerves. Actually sitting down, thinking it out -minute by minute and writing it out has helped. It also worked out well at yesterday's class that I was given a small group of about 8 kids to teach the basics too. Without having the whole class (usually over 40 people - YIKES!) staring at me I seemed to be able to get comfy teaching.

Fortunately for me MAP had someone post all the drills I remember doing so that I could recall all the finer points of them. It also helps that my hubby and kids have been willing guinea pigs as my test class. Hopefully Thursday comes quickly so I can get through this and not be constantly harassing my family about it. They will be happy when mom gets back to normal!

19. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

ha ha ha and mom herself will be pleased with the work well done :) :) :)

don't worry, i'm sure u got everything covered.

it's different to work with kids and adults though. one useful little thing when it comes to teaching kids is to awaken their competitive spirit (although usually it doesn't have to be awaken :) ). what i do with 'my' kids at the club is take 10 minutes at the end of the training session and play something with them, they have to race, or do some exercises, i divide them into 2 groups. the kids love it and when they know that we will do that at the end, they work hard the entire training session :) and they love to be praised when they do things right :)

let us know how it went :)

20. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

I think it's really amazing to watch my instructor teach his "little dragons" class, which i think is age 4 and 5. I don't think they actually advance through belts, but its just to get them started early. It's so cool to see a class of 10 or 15, 5 year olds standing up straight, focusing, and actually saying "Yes Sir". Maybe schools should adopt martial arts as a pe program, since it seems to teach even kids so young dicipline and focus.