My First Boxing Match

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Korpy, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well sort of.

I don't have any training. (I think this fitness club, 5 minutes away from me, has a Boxing program)

But I know the punches, footwork, and how to defend pretty good.

Well both me and my friend have Boxing gloves, so I asked him if he wanted to go 5 rounds of 5 minutes. (my idea)

So we had some minutes of warming up and decided to go.

Now my friend is smaller than me, but packs a good punch, and he can use really fast combos. (he doesn't have training either)

Well it started out by just getting a few shots in.

Then we started getting more serious.

Then unexpetedly he got me into the corner, and just started punching me like no tomorrow.

I nearly fell, but I saved myself.

I got angry and with I got a pretty good shot to his head and knocked him down.

It phased him, but he got back up.

But then I saw a slight open, hit him with a powerful shot to the face, and he was so hurt, that he gave up at the start of the 2nd round.

So that was my first Boxing match.

Any comments, questions. :D

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

first off, where did you do this? in a room in a house?

I think its pretty stupid. im guessing you had all the gear such as a mouthguard and headgear, but what you didnt have, and is something required for a boxing match-

a ref
    a doctor
    training

what you did was begging for an accident. its one thing to have a friendly sparring session with two people who know what they are doing- its quite another to have two untrained people flailing away at each other attempting to win some kind of dickwaving match.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

We did have mouthguards, I have a couple so I gave him one.

We did have a ref.

But no doctor.

We weren't begging for an accident, we were looking for fun.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I mean a real ref, not some adolescent friend standing there laughing at two people bashing each other. and you gave him a mouthguard? thats kinda... ick. :/

sorry if i come across as harsh but this kind of thing is just plain stupid and does nothing to improve peoples views on sport MAs. imagine the headlines if one of you had been seriously hurt.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

errm... only boxing matches don't use this time format.

Pro's go @ 3 min. rounds with 1 min. breaks

Amatuers go @ 2 min rounds with 1 min. breaks

A five minute round is something out of MMA type bouts.

While it's good you guys both have a lot of heart... I think you need to get some proper boxing training under your skulls. Otherwise your just reinforcing bad boxing skills taht you may not even know your making. Then if you ever do make it to a real bout... your gonna get KO'd.

Use the energy you guys have to a better end.. find a boxing gym and trian seriously. If you don't train seriously no one will take you seriously.

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm trying to find a Boxing training place.

I do agree with the energy thing also.

He uses his too fast with a few fast combos.

I use mine too fast by using powerful 1 hit punches.

7. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

I think what he means korpy, is instead of waving appendages at each other in your backyard, use that energy to go to a gym and get some correct instruction.

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I understand that.

There's a new fitness gym by me. It's called Cardinal Fitness. I think they might have a Boxing program. :)

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It doesn't sound like a boxing match to me... sounds more like two untrained kids having a scrab with boxing gloves on.

Seriously, your just begging for an accident by doing things like this; not to mention giving the sport a bad repuation!

10. hux

hux ya, whatever.

yikes. where to begin?

>>I don't have any training......But I know the punches, footwork, and how to defend pretty good

Can you see how the two are contradicting?

Lookit, I don't wanna come down on ya cause it sounds like you are making an effort, and an effort is always a good thing. But you gotta not do this any more...ever. Real fighters don't scrap in their basment, think about that, eh?

Join your local fitness center that has a boxing program. Get real training. Don't do this again, it's just not smart. Not to sound condescending, just too many things can go wrong up to and including somebody losing their temper. Be professional about this.

Ugh.

edit

oh yea, and re: sharing a mouthpiece - that's just nasty man LOL

/edit

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

We didn't share a mouthpiece. :rolleyes:

I gave him an unopened, unused one.

Also I didn't know I'm giving the sport a bad name, by having fun.

12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

ah ok....that's better. :)

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yeah, cause the other thing wo8uld have been gross.

But yeah guys, I wasen't looking for a super good Boxing match. Just a little fun.

14. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

dont worry, i have done worse, we boxed, using 8 oz bag gloves, and lemons as mouth pieces :eek:

15. kano junior

kano junior Uchi-Monster!!

Interesting story but a bit of a stupid idea in my book. One of you could have got seriously injured. :cool:
    Also where did this take place you havent answered that question yet.

16. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

How stupid are you, really? What do a lot of people (including many of the TMA guys on here) say about boxers? That they're thugs, yes? Then there's you and your mate having a match without a medical professional, a trained referee, insurance or training. Suppose one of you had an accident. Can you really not see how that would add to boxing's bad reputation?

Think, for Christ's sake!

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thanks for the personnal attack. If all your gonna do is that, then don't reply.

It wasen't a serious match, it was for fun. Settle down, go run into a wall if you have too. :rolleyes:

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Emphasis mine
    The things I highlighted say to me that this wasn't "a bit of fun." With no supervision, you cannot go to this level of contact safely. You knocked your friend down twice, according to your story. Did you know his medical history? He could've had some kind of medical condition and you could've killed him with this "bit of fun." It's unlikely, but it's always a possibility if you're doing this kind of thing.
    I spar with my friends outside of class, but we've all trained, we go to sensible levels of contact, we do not try to knock each other out - sparring with your friends, particularly those from other styles, is fun. Standing in a garden smacking the crap out of each other is not - it's moronic. Get some training and spar with your mates, by all means, but engage your brain first

19. I don't think I ever actually have sparred with ANYONE without a qualified guy (coach) there. Once we did in my coaches garden, but that's about it.

I've had lots of friendly grapples at mates houses, but never any contact striking sparring.

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

My friend takes Taekwondo.

I take Hapkido.

Our medical histories are fine.

I didn't try and knock him out either. We were trying to win by decision, but he quit, becomes the punch I threw just knocked the energy out of him. He was too tired and couldn't get back up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.