My first Black Belt Point Sparring Competition [Kickboxing]

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, May 27, 2007.

1. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Nf0IrX9ew"]YouTube[/ame]

There are other videos being uploaded.

Enjoy!

I'm obviously the Taekwon-Do competitor in white with the ponytail.

-

Edit:

I was the only Advanced Lightweight in Continuous. So they offered me to either take Gold without a fight, or to up myself two weight classes and fight a heavier guy.

So...

Here's me against a much heavier Turkish Kickboxer.

2 rounds.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1ih1hstM8"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLIJtZOYXg"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Yippee for point fighting. Not Kickboxing though.

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

the guy in black is a total beginner, doesn't do/know anything, i watched half of the video, to watch the rest would be a bit boring and i don't like point sparring.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Nice kicks, for points sparring shaun.

Was that dude really a blackbelt???????? he looked ****ed! :D

5. He was in the blackbelt division. Not my place to call on anybody.

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

as far as point sparring goes, that was one of the cooler more interesting matches I've seen. Nice job with your kicks. Pretty clean and accurate, with decent power to knock him off his feet. You do that stuff at the tournies around here and you get DQ'd or deducted points for "excessive contact" lol!

7. It varies so much it's crazy. I'd say today had it pretty right but I've seen other tournies and been warned for hits that anyone with any willpower would have ignored. Been warned multiple times for hitting an opponents back when he kept turning at one.

8. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

So what was it like fighting Cobra Kai?

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Nice job kicking him out of the ring.
    I could never stand point-break sparring, myself. It always seemed like whenever we actually started FIGHTING, the ref would stop and reset us. Really irritating.
    Good job, though.

10. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I keep on thinking why don't you just go for it, then I remember it's semi-contact.

11. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

now whenever I see point sparring, I'm thinking, "SWEEP THE LEG!"

But that's illegal in point sparring isn't it? What the hell kind of ruleset was that movie fight anyway?

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Sweeping isn't always illegal in point sparring.I was in a comp recently with WAKO rules and sweeping was allowed,but you couldn't grab onto your opponent at the same time to try and take them down.

13. Kralk

Kralk Valued Member

I'm confused.. Why do they stop it every 5 seconds? Is it just the first person to touch the other wins? If it is you were really kicking his ass, he was like a rag doll.

The continuos one was better you have pretty impresive kicks technique wise, but i'd work on your boxing skills if I were you because thats where you were getting hit.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

That's point sparring for you Kralk, every time a point is scored it is stopped and you start again.

Don't get me started on points fights,I'm not a great fan after 3 points fighting tournaments!

15. Not gonna reply individually but:

Point sparring you can sweep the leg. However, given the nature of point fighting, a good practitioner will be exceptionally good at lifting their front leg quickly and often sweeps don't work so they aren't all that common.

Point stop isn't anything like fighting. It's not frustrating because you aren't aiming to get stuck in fighting, the mentality is different. See an opening, strike an opening. It's a sport. And a very fun one at that.

"Is it just the first person to touch the other wins?"

Yes. Think of the name. Point Stop.

It was originally a drill in TMA to develop speed, reflexes and awareness.

I am working on my boxing skills. I know I'm not great at it, but I'm a ton better than I used to be with my hands. Ask Comaboy. :D

16. Hiroji

Yeh if you just work on your boxing and your guard, with your kicks you will do fine against kickboxers at light con. ;)

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Nice job Rags! Good energy and accurate kicks. I especially liked vid #1 when you hit the side kick and knocked your opponent on his butt out of the ring! That's 2 points in my system. Good on ya!

Striking can use some more work but not a bad job! You did score at will in the first vid. Nice work with the heavier bloke! I used to train with a 225lb Lithuanian gent! Thank God he was all muscle bound and not very fast. He did pack a wallop if I got sloppy though!

Great vids.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey! It says the vids were removed by user. What gives?! I wanna see!!

Stuart

19. Hiroji

Basically apmeister....Rags spin kicks some kickboxers into oblivion!!!!

:D

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, that just makes me want to see it more!