My fighting style

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Jewbacca, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Jewbacca

Jewbacca New Member

Alright, to give you all my validity in reasoning, here's why I've come up with this.

When I was a kid I took judo classes and loved them. I never cared about advancing in rank, simply because I never felt any need to. My instructor taught us all the same thing.

When I was about 13-14, I developed cancer in my left leg, right above the knee (distal femur). I had to have all of the bone from my upper thigh to my upper shin removed and replaced with a metal internal prosthetic. My days of playing soccer and judo training were just about over. There was a complication in the whole process (don't you just love it when that happens?) and I wasn't able to be put on the physical therapy machine that bends the joint while you sleep. The joint quickly scarred down, and now I only have about 10 degrees of flexion in my left knee.

After a yearlong healing process, I tried to take judo back up again, but being thrown was way too much shock to the prosthetic knee.

There's been quite a long latency period from when I last had any martial arts training and now, when I've decided to make my own style (I've been recieving FREE instruction from a couple of instructors and a few close friends. I figured, in Richmond where I live, if someone pulls a knife on me or if I'm caught in the middle of something, I need to be able to defend myself (I sure as hell can't run, bad leg and all).

I've blended techniques from Hapkido's Cane style and Hanbojutsu, along with the balance taught by Tai Chi and leverage techniques of Judo. The stuff I've been learning (and teaching) its pretty nice. It's a huge jump from not doing anything with my knowledge.

The style's called Cripped Fist, and I occasionally teach a small class of 4 - 5 people.

What do you all think? A weapon style with which you can pimp and kick ass at the same time!

2. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Not bad. I think it's cool what you're doing, and sounds effective also. I've always thought the cane was a very practical fighting tool because it's one of the very first things you'd have on you or find to defend yourself. Since most people don't carry a sword with them on the streets or something like that. do you think you've mastered your system yet, or is ti still in development?

3. pest

pest Occasional Poster

have you considered wing chun? its fast effective and has lots of hand technique. it might have somthing to add to your style

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

pretty cool. good luck with your training and everything.

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Unique situation -> unique solution.

Good luck & keep it up :)

Rds,
    David

6. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

thats pretty kool, i'm going to try to see if i can find someone who knows how to use it and can teach me. if i lived anywhere near you i would talk to you about it, but i don't....oh well. its pretty kool to do what your doing, i mean if i lived near you i would probobly be one of your students, although i'm faily sure i don't.

7. zun

zun New Member

Amazing the funny way life provides opportunities.

Perhaps you might want to consider a more positive name? Like sitting duck :D

Seriously though good luck in your teaching and training

8. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

Only you know haw hard it is to get involved into a health problems like yours, it is honorable and deserve to be proud of. congratulations my friends good luck and keep on the trainning ok?

9. SPAWNPAIN

SPAWNPAIN New Member

Only you know how hard it is to get involved into a health problems like yours, it is honorable and deserve to be proud of. congratulations my friends good luck and keep on the trainning ok?

10. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Indeed, that sounds great!
    Nice work, and good luck!

11. Jewbacca

Jewbacca New Member

:D

(Could a mod move this to the new forum 'disabled martial arts')

Thanks, guys. I'll be taking some stop-motion pics with a digital camera sometime over the next few months. I'm going to demonstrate some techniques online, that way a few of my friends will have an easy reference.

12. OneWingedAngel

OneWingedAngel New Member

Have you ever seen silat serak? It was developed by a crippled man, he was missing part of his arm and he had a clubbed foot. It's all about angle, leverage, and physics. And if a short, crippled, Indonesian man could develop it, it might be something that you could use to help you(it's great for me, cause I have a bad knee). Oh, and it also has awesome weapon work, they say if you aren't learning Serak with weapons, you aren't really learning Serak.

I wonder how much of your art coincides with Serak. It would be very interesting to see how many simillarities there are. And I would love to some of what you do.

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Done :D

How much of the art (if any) is lifted/built on from other styles of MA? Have you thought about looking into some aspects of FMA, like Eskrima or other kinds of stick based fighting?

14. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Many with physical disiblities find the "c" word very offensive. Like worse than a series of swear words.

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sounds good - and you should definately check out some FMA!

As for "The C Word" - I believe using it and talking about it can only do good. We WILL beat it - eventually - and whispering about it in the shadows is not the way to raise public awareness.

CANCER! - There- I said it.

16. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Actually I meant crippled.

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ah! Another good example on why we should call a spade a spade then? :D

18. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Fair enough. Many people with physical disabilites see the word crippled as denoting useless and worthless.

19. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I can see where you are coming from with this Sai i think its down to the individual but many share that view.

The semantics of words can be powerful to some but not to others. Sometimes people forget this

20. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

A style that lets you pimp and kick ass at the same time is a brilliant one! Good on ya!