My embarrassing speedbag video after 1 month

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Banpen Fugyo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Soooooo yeah, here it is, do your worst.

Background: Ive always boxed in my spare time (mitts, spar, double ended bag, heavy bag) but Ive never really used the speed bag. Ive obviously trained in other MA but those arent important to the video :p Video was recorded a few weeks ago

0:00- Basic pattern
    0:37- Double punches
    0:54- Me flailing, failing and being retarded

http://www.facebook.com/v/10100501941911436

Before you can say it:

-Yes, Ive noticed my punches were very hammerfist-y, Im working on it
    -Yes, Ive cut my hair.
    -Yes, the video is dark.
    -Yes, Im out of shape, thank you for noticing.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can't see it mate. :(

3. Banpen Fugyo

Try now

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nowt embarrassing about that IMHO. I'd be impressed if I saw you doing that.
    One thing I remember reading in old time boxing manuals was that there should be two sorts of punches on a speedbag.
    One straight and then one that's more of a backfist/warding off motion.
    Then repeat on the other side as a basic pattern.

5. Banpen Fugyo

See I was confused about that. From a purely boxing standpoint, that makes sense. But on speedbag forums, it seems like that isnt as important as a circular rhythm.

......then again they hit the bag backwards, sideways, with their elbows etc and Im not interested in that whatsoever.

Thanks for the input

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I can't remember which book it was. And I'm not even sure how valid it was/is as a justification for doing speedbag work.
    But there was definitely a theory that you were training a blocking type of ward-off defensive movement as well as a straight shot.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nothing to be ashamed about man... the speed bag is for timing and rhythm... and you're gettin that going... If you can pull back and get a whole body shot in while your working the bag... you should be pedaling and not flat footed... so the feet work with the hands on the speedbag. It's all about the rhythm. Looks good so far keep at.

For second there I thought someone found a vid of Kurt Cobain and he wasn't really dead but just holed up in a garage working the speed bag. :p

8. Banpen Fugyo

Haha thanks >_<

But yeah, Ive been trying to work on moving around the bag a bit while keeping rhythm. Ive def had to slow down a lot to manage it, though.