My Combat Dummy Design!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kenpoguy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

K, guys, I am in the process of building a live action recoil more personalized version of a modern wing chun dummy. This is the less-than- basic frame I am working on. I will keep posting pics as actual progress takes place. As you can see it will be in the shape of a person, about 6' tall, and have flexible limbs. I will put accordian style durable tubing on both the knees and the elbows. The hands will also have velcro w/gloves, so that optional weapons may be added. The resistance from the tubing will give it a more relaistic feel. Basically the arms and legs you saw, are not the actual arms and legs. They will be lathe turned traditonal arms and legs. The center body will have one large pad with marked target zones for the vital areas. The neck will also be made of the tubing. The socks represent where theyll be. There will be some sort of stand ( I have a couple ideas). The face will consist of memory foam, so that eye shots and nose breaks can be noticed, and a hair like material placed on top. The groin region will be utilizing a pad also. Sorry about the messy surrondings(am redoing my basements workroom)

Attached Files:

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Will be interesting to see the finished product :cool:

3. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

It would probably look good dressed as a ninja so you could only see the whites of its eyes through the slits.

4. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

lol, will keep the ninja idea in mind :) Am actually planning to get a patent on the finished one and sell them, and become rich :D well probably not, but hopefully will make me some money, as well as improve a persons training without them having to spend a fortune on a traditonal mook jong dummy. Anywho, its all a matter of if it works, if its effective, and if its easy to use :)

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hurry up and finish it then - before someone reads this and nicks your idea!

6. microhard

microhard Valued Member

Two questions,
    1. would the wooden planks stand the impact?
    2.What are the socks on the elbows for?:)

Overall, I commend your creativity.

7. WTKFCroat

WTKFCroat Banned Banned

Is she Filipino then? I thought she was American

8. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Have you considered replacing the big red pads with gravel-filled wall bags, tying rope around those areas, or something similar?

9. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

lol, chances are its highly unlikely someone will patent it before i do from reading the post :D but then again you never do know :confused: The socks represent where some of the flex tubing will go, and many of the wooden planks will be constructed a bit differently. Much of the basic frame was only made for the sake of a basic frame. And actually I was thinking along the lines of putting different sorts of bags on there(perhaps a makiwara board and a couple iron palm sand bags. Thing is it has to be cost effective also, the way Id have it with actual bags would drive up materials cost too much. THanks for the comments guys :)

10. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

thx for the kind comments and compliments guys :) I will try to get some updated pics posted in a couple of hours. Today I am off work, so I plan to spend most of it constructing lol.

11. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

I would think that those fancy red pads would cost *alot* more than a few canvas bags ($2/bag materials) and 25 lbs of gravel from Home Depot (another whopping $2)...

12. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

bags....

I was actually talking about the red bags I had on there :) canvas bags would be much cheaper and probably even a bit better for conditioing.

13. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

arms...

Here are a couple pics of the arms im planning on using. I may actually use pvc pipe instead of wood. Right now, the frame is too wide and needs to be cut down, but hopefully you guys get a general idea of it. I find it also looks a bit more like a vacum cleaner in pieces lol. The red **** i may leave on or take off. For my own amusement I am going to tamper around with my air compressor to see if i can make the resistance do anything.

Attached Files:

14. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

images...

one more pic..

Attached Files:

15. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

a miscrosoft paint version of what it will look like...

Attached Files:

16. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Got some more progress completed on the dummy. Again, still in the very rough mode, I am more playing with the dummy more now, than anything else. I think I like this as a basic frame though.

Attached Files:

17. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

It looks great, I bet the chinese equipment manufacturing companies have been watching this thread and had a completed dummy ready for sale last night!

18. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

sarcasim....

lol, im not sure if that was sarcastic or not :p but I assure you guys, I shall have an effetive, cheap, and useful dummy soon!

19. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Should get the canvas stapled onto it tommrow, will post pics when i do...(It looks very different now from the last picture, the arms especailly are much more like arms)