My Christmas training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by brisrocket, Jan 4, 2013.

1. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Merry Christmas everyone!

While the clubs are all shut down for a few weeks, I had to find some ways to keep myself going.

Here it is (weather is nice in Australia right now, so outdoor training works well)...

Day #1
    ----------
    • Warm-up: 2.5 km jog, medium pace (15 mins)
    • Skipping for stamina: 2 mins fast straight
    • Skipping for explosive power: 1 min double jumps
    • Hill climbs for explosive power: 20 climbs on short & steep hill
    • Box jumps on park gear: 60 jumps
    • Knee raises hanging from bars at park: 60 with bent knees
    • Straight leg raises (still hanging from park bars): 20 straight legs (incl side obliques)
    • Chin ups: 10
    • Dips: 50
    • Cool down with a good stretch & walk or jog home

Now, I didn't want to fork out $200+ on plyo boxes, so I used the gear down at the local park.

I found this so helpful to me over the break, I decided to make a short video helping others to do the same.
    Here is the video: box plyometrics

Day 2: (At home)

• 80 push ups
    • 130 sit-ups
    • 200 knee lifts
    • 170 lunges

Back to normal training again soon, but parts of these routines will stick with me.
    Your constructive comments are appreciated. :)

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I don't want to burst your bubble but would take issue with the number of reps. That's not to say Box Jumps aren't a good exercise, just how they are done in Crossfit WOD is often wrong. Plyometrics by their very nature are an explosive all out movement, so doing them to fatigue is counterproductive, at the point at which the jump slows down most of the benefit is lost and risk of injury is greater. I know some CF qualified trainers who are embarrassed at the way CF has gone, this and several dynamic Oly Lift movements which really shouldn't be done in the rep/set numbers given in some workouts. On youtube there is a lot of contrary advice, take this one below, a million views and has some great stuff on it, but some pointless stuff too

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLzI1mcvIv8"]Plyometric & High Intensity Interval Training - YouTube[/ame]

3. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Thanks for your time to view and provide your feedback. I'll consider your advice on plyo repetitions. To be honest, I do high reps of the low jumps, which are pretty easy for me. The higher jumps I do a few sets of smaller reps - as you have advised to do.

Thanks again for your review :)