My Behemoth

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by MikeMartial, Sep 29, 2006.

1. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

So here's the details on my new PC:

Antec p180 Black ATX case, 5 fans. This thing is a soundproof beast
    Intel Core2Duo e6700 At 2.66Ghz
    Asus P5N32 SLI-SE Deluxe motherboard
    2GB OCZ XTC Gold PC2-6400 RAM
    EVGA nVidia 7950 GX2 graphics card. That's 2-512k cards mashed into one :D
    22" LCD 5ms 1680:1050 Acer monitor
    Soundblastwer X-FI Extreme Gamer soundcard
    Altec Lansing 5.1 Speaker system
    2-250GB Western Digital SATA2 7200rpm HDD
    LG DVD ROM
    LG DVD RW burner
    7in1 card reader

Saitek flat backlite gaming keyboard
    Logitech wireless mouse

I actually bought 4GB of RAM, but ran into massive problems; long story short, Windows XP doesn't like more than 2GB of RAM, even though my MB can take it. So, I have an extra 2GB waiting until I get a different OS....

But can feel my workouts suffering already. Let the gaming begin :cool:

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

great! kick ass system, but god damn! theres only so many games on the PC worth a cash out, although i do have to admit if i had the cash i'd do the same!

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There are loads of great PC games - for a start, it's the undisputed king of the FPS genre (once you've played Fear on nearly full spec or Half Life 2, every console FPS starts to look a bit crappy) and there's great games of pretty much every genre on it. PC games are cheaper too. It's a big change of pace from consoles for the most part though, and fighting games don't really translate too well
    That's a gorgeous setup, mate. How much did that set you back?

4. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Pretty, im more of an AMD guy, which is why I use my FX 62, but otherwise sweet.

I'd get myself a 7.1 surround card if u can find one, they're expensive, but to feel like

you're there..... it's totally worth it.

5. MikeMartial

$3700 CAD. Would have been $200 less, had I had the foresight about the RAM issue.... :bang: Ah well. We'll see what Windows Vista is like next year. I hesitant to run out and get Windows XP 64bit, just due to the compatability nightmare....

I was initially going to get a AMD 64 FX-62, being as my last machine was an AMD Athalon 2700...but I couldn't argue with the benchmarks. For example, F.E.A.R v1.03 in 1600x1200, the Intel Core2Duo E6700 was at 111fps, versus 96 for the AMDFX2. For Oblivion, a massive resource hog, the E6700 runs at 73.5fps, while the FX62 is at 62.5. Cheaper cost and higher framerate. I had two friends in the IT field basically slapping me with the benchmarks until I agreed, I was such an AMD fan.

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I think I just crapped myself reading that. Even so, I couldn't justify that kind of money for a PC unless I was using it for professional reasons.

7. MikeMartial

Double Income No Kids = The Win :D