My Basic 4 Article

Discussion in 'MMA' started by YODA, Dec 28, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Anyone read it?

Anyone tried to incorporate it into their training?

Was it worth me spending the time writing it?

Any questions regarding the article or the drill series?

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Might be a stupid question, but how do you get to the articles?

3. YODA

Click on "Magazine" at the top of the forum - the "Articles".

Or you could just follow the link to my two new articles on the MAP main page.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Oh right, ok thanks, there should be an articles link on the front page, its not that obvious to find.

Its a good article, I'll have a proper read through it soon, I want to get doing more groundwork next year! And I for one am appreciative of you spending you time doing it :)

5. YODA

LOL!

From the main MAP page you can....

1. Click on Magazine at the top
    2. Click on Magazine in the list of links at the left (Main menu)
    3. CLick on the link to my article in the "Latest Updates" section.

How many do you want? LOL! :p

However - I do think that "Magazine" is not the best choice for that section of the site. Makes me think it's either something I have to pay for or subscribe to. Magazine also gives the impression of something that is produced periodically rather than a websire area that is just updated as & when stuff is submitted.

Cool - next year is next week :D

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yep.

Already practice similar drills in my Judo class (where I am constrained by "rules", bah!)

Yes, a few wee pointers were picked up, cheers ;)

Yeah, are you going to do one on grounding and pounding, I already practice some pinning and striking drills but words from the Master are always appreciated ;)

Excellent article, good use of pictures I give you 9/10 (gotta give you something to strive for) :)

Col

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Argh! Next years too soon, I think I need to work on my fitness first :rolleyes:

8. YODA

LOL!

Don't worry dude - groundfighting is one the BEST fitness workouts known to man :D

Where / who with?

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I used to do Judo, now just training in Kung Fu. I miss the grappling though........ And I remember how exhausting it can be, so would you say its a better fitness workout than doing some cardio stuff at the gym?

Problem with the Kung Fu is how they try and ignore to a large extent the possibility of going to the ground. Reason I was reading your articles is because I want to train in a way that puts the two together. Definitely the way forward, because I don't think I can make my blocks look any prettier :D

10. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

I printed it off and use it my class now :)

Bu then again I train under you Dave anyway so you knew I'd do that.

Pgm316, Ground fighting is brilliant exercise, really uses all your muscle groups and pumps your cardio. It's much better than a gym work out because it relavent to your MA It's also wicked fun.

I've always done stand up and striking arts, never seeing the point of taking someone to the ground. BUT if you change your training so that when in the clinch you take someone down, your into a different ball game.

When you train with people who only fight stand up, you will always only fight stand up. Mix it up a little and see what happens, I'm sure you'll like it :)

11. YODA

----- Yeah, you do always end up there don't you LOL!

Ahem.....

So - any questions about the drill? What about the "extras" we did last time I was at your club?

12. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hiya Yoda,

I was only doing that drill a week sunday ago...the following day I suffer me latest injury...

Anyway, I had a great deal of difficulty in the transitions - however this was my first lesson. I spent some time attacking a punch bag too in these positions - guess they were afraid of me hurting some one :(

I was doing a drill earlier on this year where I was leant over someone who was kneeling on the floor and I had to spin on top of them - the point was they were trying to grab my arms and legs as I was going round and this is done to teach speed and technique - it was only a one day seminar so I didn't get much opportunity to do it.

The reason why I am looking at this area of fighting is because Shotokan - in my practical training so far does not include this and I am far to curious for my own good!

I have also printed this off and once I am fully recovered I will be attacking my pillows in a sleeping bag with a fresh vigour! (I haven't got a punch bag at home).

13. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

I've copied your flow diagram and added in and modified bits with the extra's you taught us. Seems to be doing okay so far, but we did only have one lesson after the seminar to practise.

I'm practising my agility and movement lots more now, so hopefully that'll improve some more soon.

You can bet your bottom dollar when I do hit a problem I'll be straight on the e-mail :)

14. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Okay then Dave. The drill above is for positional control and inserting submissions, break outs and then continuing with the positional flows.

What do I change to include pounding strikes? e.g. Pad type, position, strike types, targets. I could see how you could use a punch bag in place of the other person and batter the hell out of it (though the submission will be harder, never met a bag that's taps yet, even worse if it tapped you out).

Any advise always welcome. 2003 the year to bring in the first steps towards pounding on the ground :D :D :D

Cheers

15. YODA

Quick answer - focus mitts!

More later.............

16. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Master Yoda,

This paduan found the article to be very useful on a number of levels:

1) To help visualize the flow.

2) To pick up some good tips on the positions themselves - great photos and text very descriptive.

3) To help me see where other drills can be added or the drill re-ordered to work different aspects of the ground game.

4) To organize my ****ty notes - I never woudl have thought of it. Now I just need to get round to transferring my notes into flow diagrams.

So, please do continue to write the articles and to share your knowledge. Its definitely worth the effort (from our end anyway) and greatly appreciated.

Dred.

17. YODA

Thanks - I may well do a follow up that includes the 1st few variations that we use. :D

18. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Finger hovering over Ctrl+C.... :D

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

A follow up would be much appreciated by many I believe :)

20. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I thought it was an excellent article, definitely picked up a few pointers! :)