My area has too many martial arts clubs but I have nowhere to train

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ronki23, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, I can see trying to get through is a complete waste of time......................

Your record alone should tell you you have the wrong attitude to learn. SHOULD tell you, but you refuse to open your mind to see it and learn.

Hannibal and Dan Bian like this.
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Whether they stick to "their own club" is irrelevant.
    You have 10 clubs to choose from.
    The fact is, you DIDNT beat these people, and the reason for that is because YOU have not committed to training at all.
    Don't be sour just because other people are taking their training do seriously that they seek out knowledge and skill from any available source.

These people have a chance at becoming great fighters, because they are training.

And while they are off fighting and winning trophies, you'll be flipping burgers and playing call of duty.

That's on you.

Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You don't know anything, you imagine you could, but you don't know because you refuse to train with them... Probably because you know you Won't win and this fantasy of yours will come crashing down.

Hannibal likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well then by your own admission and wording you don't deserve to be graded any higher. Your record is not at a standard where you consistently beat guys in your own weight and belt class.

Also, what is the video about?

Dan Bian likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

To be fair, you can be a pro fighter, and still play ungodly amounts of FPS and work a crappy job #fighterlifestyle

6. Dan Bian

True, but my point was that the OP would be in a crappy job and playing Xbox, and not a lot else.

Shmook likes this.
  7. Dan Bian

White-shirt needs to stop dropping his hands when he kicks (as a first point), and black shirt needs to learn a new direction other than backwards.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

@ronki23 you are clueless.

Over the years I've had guys come to me and say, "I have to leave my club because I can now beat the instructor", and various other daft phrases that are all based around the same machismo.

A few years ago one even said he was coming to the MAP Meet and "I better be ready".

Without exception everyone of these guys has been beginner to low intermediate level at the very best.

You are in this category.

I'll say it again, you are clueless.

Use this to improve yourself.

You are shouting into the wind and the only person who can't see that he is clueless is you.

Hannibal likes this.
  9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Not sue what the video was about, but in the comments section you said this, "SSU KBC was awesome. Best club I ever trained at."

So are these clubs rubbish or awesome, as we now have conflicting stories?

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Surely that 'fighting' record reflects what....something like 6/7 competitions?
    Back when I competed in tkd (point stop and continuous) each competition would be something like 4-5 bouts in a day?
    So if that many bouts represents a year or so at white belt? That's some good experience, a good start.
    But such experience doesn't constitute a 'record' per se and it would certainly be far to early to be totting up wins/losses and working out personal vendettas.
    I used to compete 3/4 times a year on average (4/5 bouts per comp depending on progress through stages) and had no idea on win/loss overall. Just the events I did well in and events I didn't.
    You seem to be approaching competing with the wrong kind of mindset. Especially at such an early point in your career.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  11. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I wouldn't count anything that's not full contact with a record. Only exception perhaps being perhaps the guys at the world level in TKD, wrestling, Judo etc

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Point fighting back in the day was savage but still not full contact

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If By back in the day you mean the 70s and maybe early 80s yes

But other than that it's far removed from full contact and for the vast majority imparts too many bad habits when compared to harder contact sparring to really be useful

the few useful things from it that the top guys can carry over into MMA aren't that useful for the vast majority and are outweighed by said bad habits

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And also...I've only generally seen people keep track of a win/loss record for combat sports where you are matched up with a specific individual beforehand.
    Not combat sports where you turn up on the day and fight multiple times against whoever is there.
    That's not a hard and fast rule (for various reasons) but if you do points, light continuous, judo or something like that just keep a tab on roughly how many events you've entered and what you've won (gold, silver, etc).
    There are serious kids in my tkd club competing something like 10 times a year and if they kept tabs on win/loss it'd probably end up near a hundred by now.
    My instructor would try and compete most weekends in his full on competition years (when younger) and it wouldn't surprise me if he'd had a thousand matches. He wouldn't even be able to remember a number it's that many.
    Again...competing in points or semi-contact (and even grappling) is different to an amateur/professional boxing, Thai or mma win/loss record (with some caveats).

Mitch likes this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Absolutely. I'm not knocking point fighting or the combat format at all.
    Just questioning the idea of keeping a win/loss record and building personal vendettas and ideas of 'avenging losses' after only barely having dipped a toe in combat waters.

When I competed I built up a friendly rivalry with one particular guy. But that's because we both competed a lot and tended to trade who would win a competition on any given day (sometimes be both lost!). If either of us turned up the other knew they were in for a hard day. We certainly didn't become rivals after one match because one of us was keeping a win/loss record in the back of our school jottters.

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My school teaches the concept of "invest in loss."

When I lose, I think "what can I learn to improve from this experience?" I talk it over with instructors and focus on getting those aspects of my sparring better. And I focus on those aspects even if it means I lose matches because I focus on improving that specific thing - instead of winning at all costs.

I am trying to develop skills. I am grateful for those who win over me because they expose weaknesses and I can use that to improve. That is the attitude my school teaches about winning and losing.

I just lost a match helping out in stick fighting in a test. The Chief instructor overseeing the test said he liked the match because we both showed skill in evasion and he said I was getting faster. I now have ideas on what specifically I need to develop from this experience - that is investing in loss. I wasn't happy with how I did actually. And I did lose to someone with far less experience than I have. But hey- good for him! He is a cool guy and I am happy to have him as a sparring partner! The more he develops, the more he will push me to grow in my skills. ( And yeah, I am ashamed of it, but I admit it, a little bit of my ego was bruised a tad. I wanted to do better. I think it is a not great part of human nature, but I laughed my touch of ego off - recognizing it for what it was - a silly thing that gets in the way of growth. And I turned my disappointment towards myself and what I can do better. Certainly NOT in getting bitter and angry towards my opponent/ partner. I was happy he did well. :))

By the Gods, if I got my ego involved too much, I would have quit a long time ago. I am older than most who do combatives at my school. Most people are significantly younger and faster. I have some chronic issues- knees and thumbs. I am not particularly gifted and I am not a fast learner. I am not the best at sparring and I never will be. That is just the way it is. But I AM better than I used to be and I AM getting better most of the time. And I have fun and enjoy the experience.

Invest in loss=learn and grow from your losses. Be grateful for the learning experience it provides. Invest in developing a particular weakness by focusing on that in matches. Even it it means you could win by doing something else.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  17. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

If I could still train at SSU KBC and SSU Judo I would but 1. It's not cheap travelling and 2. I'm not a student at University anymore

18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I really like “investing in loss”.

Out of curiosity, what are the bad habits from point fighting?

19. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Except Dave Thomas was humiliated against Brad and Chris Higgins' full contact record is 2-8 BECAUSE they used pointfighting stance, lead with kicks and use the distracting backfist

20. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Side on stance exposes sciatica for leg kicks, if you flinch or turn away the side on stance makes you spin around, backfist has no power, side kick is a crap technique

Seriously just YouTube search Dave Thomas vs Brad Ball or Chris Higgins vs Wojtek Rudnik

Or Raymond Daniels' losses in GLORY to Joseph Valltellini and Nieky Holzken

If I didn't do pointfighting I could've won more often in continuos fighting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.