Music

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Darzeka, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I've been listening to Tool (Lateralus) pretty much non stop for about three weeks now and some of the lyrics just sound like a reading from a phylisophical book or the feel of poetry.

"This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality embrace this moment, rememer, we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion"
    - Parabola

"Embrace my desire to,
    Embrace my desire, to
    Feel the rythem to, Feel connected,
    Enough to stop a siren, weep like a widow to,
    Feel inspired to, fathom the power to,
    Witness the beauty to, bathe in the fountain to,
    swing on the spiral to,
    swing on the spiral to,...
    Swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human."
    - Lateralus

"Wear the grude like crown, Desparate to control,
    Unable to forgive, and sinking Deeper.
    Defining, confining, sinking deeper,
    Controlling, defining and we're sinking deeper."
    - Grudge

These are three of most thoughtful passages from the CD I feel and with the amount of driving I do at night have begun a form of contemplative meditation about them. If has calmed me down considerably and I have come to some strange conclusions but will not express them.

I think it is kinda sad that the vast majority of people who listen to Tool will never get the meaning of the words or even contemplate wht they could mean and the people who could gain something from the songs will not listen due to the style of music they play and the style of fil clips they make. I find that after you get over the intial shock of how strange they appear to be the music complements the words beautifully.
    I also think the drummer is something of an insane genius.

I would to hear what you think or if you have found any music/ poetry/whatever that you have found that gives you a reaction like this.

2. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

I think most people relate strongly to music/ lyrics at some point, the commonest (and most embarrassing) being when you're at the start of a new, exciting, magical relationship and suddenly even cheesy trash from the top 10 means something.
    Hopefully that's not just me now I've wrote that...

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think thats true for most people Fluffydoc. After about 6 months of putting up with them, Eminem starts to sounds more meaningful... :)

4. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

but then you have to wonder if the artist actually meant it or you are just making the words fit your ideas.

nothing wrong with that at all just each person can take a different meaning from the same thing (I feel a bible rant coming on...)

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Maynard's stuff is pretty good, even the Perfect Circle music he did was really good but can turn your head inside out if you're not careful.

There's only so long you can be angry, even RATM aren't together any more.

Mark of Cain are pretty good too.

6. energyboost

energyboost New Member

eminem is ill he has figured out his hip hop math. I do hip hop myself and been doing it since i was 17 so i more or less know how music sounds when you know what your doing. the same with martial arts, as they are both honest expressions.

ps if you ever thought of blowing evreyone's head off with ammuniton of some sort e-mail me i'll send you some of my original music(if your into hip hop that is)