Music To Train To?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Swimming Dragon, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Swimming Dragon

Swimming Dragon Valued Member

:) I Was Wondering If Anyone Uses The Aid Of Music While Training? If So , What Sort Of Stuff Do You Like For What Reasons?
    Also, Do Any Of The F.m.a. Practitioners Use/ Can Recommend Any Good Cds With A Percussion/ Tribal Drum Sorta Beat?
    I Recently Got Some 'brent Lewis' Stuff On Cd And Is Great!

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I like to train to DnB anything by So solid crew or Oxide and Neutrino is good. Aswell as Aphrodite and Dj Hype.

I like a fast beat to keep me going.

3. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I do like to listen to relaxation and meditation cd's when practicing my form in tai chi. I usually have Shamanic Dream 1 & 2 , any reiki music and I've just had a new cd with a bit of buddhism chanting on, even though you can't here them lol but they must be there somewhere (maybe just hiding somewhere in the background lol). I do have loads of this type of music anyway and I'm getting quite a collection now lol.
    lisa xx

4. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Acid house & Garrage because of the continuos beat.

5. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Valued Member

Training music

Section 3: Advertising

3.1 General advertising guidelines
    MAP has a NO free advertising policy. This includes goods or services for sale, the promotion of discussion forums, message boards, chat sites, commercial businesses & services.
    3.1.1 You may publicise your club websites discreetly in your signature. You may however post a direct link to an outside site given that the information is RELEVANT to a question someone else has requested, or you believe it will be helpful to others. Sneaky advertising will not be tolerated.
    3.1.2 If you have a business or service that you think will benefit the members of MAP, please contact an Administrator via the PM system for our advertising rates.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I've got the Kulintan Institute CD. Wishe they'd do another one. I'm heavily into Brent Lewis for practicing FMA. I've got seven CDs of his. Swimming Dragon, you may want to try Gabrielle Roth & the Mirrors too. You can find their work on Amazon.

7. Swimming Dragon

THANKS GUYS! KULINTAN .... AHA! Hey ULAR Which brent lewis cds have u got? which r de best? ive got 'pulse' and 'drum sex'....?

8. Swimming Dragon

hey dave, how do u order from 'impact'? i line in n.ireland??

9. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Valued Member

music order

Section 3: Advertising

3.1 General advertising guidelines
    MAP has a NO free advertising policy. This includes goods or services for sale, the promotion of discussion forums, message boards, chat sites, commercial businesses & services.
    3.1.1 You may publicise your club websites discreetly in your signature. You may however post a direct link to an outside site given that the information is RELEVANT to a question someone else has requested, or you believe it will be helpful to others. Sneaky advertising will not be tolerated.
    3.1.2 If you have a business or service that you think will benefit the members of MAP, please contact an Administrator via the PM system for our advertising rates.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  10. Swimming Dragon

:D big grin appears on swimming dragons face....... Thank u kindly DAVE... ur a Diamond! just wat i need 4 extra enjoyment training outside in the summer sun! :)

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I have both the ones you do plus "Like a Drum", "The Primitive Truth", "JungleMoon", "Earth Tribe Rhythms", and "Thunder Down Under". They're all really good. I just close my eyes and pick one and then pick up the sticks.

12. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

Need a good solid bass line, I'm a big fan of the hard house, progressive, dnb, jungle, tribal kind of crap. Gets me hyped up... can't seem to sit still if their's a good track playing, not that I can normally sit still anyways.

Man I have way to much energy *lol*.

13. bart

bart New Member

Music

Hey There,

I did a lot of looking around for music to have on during class. I tried to have some kulintang music and balinese percussion, but a lot of times it distracted from the class or was too slow or fast. The rythm was different and projected a different kind of energy. I tried a little banghra music and that was lively but still took the focus off of the session itself. After a bit of experimental cd buying I found "Sabla Tolo, Vol. 2: Further Journeys into Pure Egyptian Percussion" by Hossam Ramzy. He actually has a background in western rock percussion but the first volume and this second volume are pure one man traditional Egyptian percussion. It adds a really nice rythm to the class but doesn't have any words to distract people from the workout. The beat is really natural and even and it's become my standby.

Just so I'm keeping in line with board policy, this isn't an advertisement and I'm not going to get any click thru money or anything. Amazon has some samples of the first volume here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-8927518-9392762?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Other than this set of cd's there are some for sale on the Dog Brothers site that are pretty cool too. It goes along the same line, the music doesn't distract from the class, but provides a lively background that helps promote natural rythm.

14. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Got Volume 1 of the CD described by Bart. It is very good. I also like anything by the Turkish Percussion Group but their work is hard to find, unless you're in Turkey.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I've been having VERY long talks with Sifu about this. We constantly listen to Enya and Chinese flute music with absolutely NO energy. It's fine for T'ai Chi, but not for PT or sparring. I am so going to buy him some new CDs, I think; it's not like we're old. I'm the 3rd oldest student, and I'm only 33 (the other two are 35 and 40-soemthing). Most of our students are in their mid-20's and probably agree with me, lol.

16. GuroSadiq

GuroSadiq New Member

We train to African Drums and Tribal House Music.
    We usually listen to the late Babatunde Olatunje.

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

I think so too... music while practicing might be distracting.

18. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

when we practice, we usually either listen to the radio (some hip-hop radio station) or we dont. depends on the mood.

-nico-

19. kalulua

kalulua Valued Member

Kulintang is definitely the music that getz me in the zone while i train. Generally any Philippine folk music dealing w/ drum beatz iz cool. Or any other ethnic drum music is acceptable. Drum n bass is fun to train to also.

20. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

We tend not to listen to music while training, the only time we do being if people are practising forms to music at the other end of the room. I do like the way everyone ends up doing the drills in time with the music and each other.

Peter