Muscular Dystrophy

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KickChick, Apr 15, 2004.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Came across this website of the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) regarding Self Defense.

The Gentle Art of Fighting Back

... follow the consecutive pages for sd techniques.

2. bigalexe

bigalexe Young 1 with big head

great post kickchick. i have an unknown form of MD. first it was myasthenia but now it is a unknown myatonic disorder.(nothings for sure). anyway im not wheelchair bound and i practice Choi-Kwang-Do.

3. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Very nice link. The use of the head was brilliant.

4. mekosho

mekosho New Member

Thank you much "chick", my son has duchennes muscular dystrophy, and was a student of shotokan before he was confined to a wheelchair. This site has really been informative...again, thank you

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You're very welcome .... glad that you found the link informative.

We must bear in mind..... the importance for someone who has a disability, to use whatever physical ability they DO have and to develop that ability in order to defend themselves.
    “Use no limitation as limitation; use no way as way.”

mekosho .... you may be interested in looking into Isshinryu Karate for your son.
    I was reading this 'account' of a wheelchair-bound 4th dan and how he started his training in this style.

He explained that beginners in Isshinryu learn eight basic kicks and since of course he could not kick, his Sensei taught him the Goju-ryu kata Tensho which is a short exercise made up of deflections and parries with no kicks.
    He eventually learned and adapted all eight empty-hand kata [formal exercises] in Isshinryu for a wheelchair fighter, and participated in all aspects of dojo practice, including sparring.

Problem is finding a school/ or an instructor who will modify their curriculum so that wheelchair-bound students can learn ma.