Muscles hurt after stretching?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by blackbelt92, May 28, 2011.

1. blackbelt92

blackbelt92 Valued Member

Hey everyone, I've been a member of MAP for a while but have been mostly reading the forums.

I am working towards the splits and am wondering if a little muscle soreness the day after stretching is okay? The soreness is not that much. Just wondering if I am stretching too hard. I'm new to this, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Soni

Soni Valued Member

I wasn't naturally flexible and had to work hard for years to before flexible and get into the full side/box splits but accomplished my dream in the end and proud of it.

Advice, concentrate on hip isolation like the frog position and also work the hamstrings, these are great for the splits. Start in the frog, at first it will look like a bridge, with a massive gap underneath your groin, relax into the stretch and take your time and you'll soon have the lovely feeling of your nuts touch the floor.

Then whilst in the frog place one leg at a time out to the side, working the hamsrings, alternate legs.

As for the pain, some will say you shouldn't feel pain, if you want my answer, you'll feel discomfort but you'll learn to notice a nice stretch discomfort and a at pain, you should feel the stretch and sometimes it may evem burn when you stretch, but if you feel Sharp pain then back off as that's not good.

Good luck

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I think this maybe called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)

Some think it is a good idea to do a light-mild warm up stretch before and after your "main stretch routine".

But this may be proven otherwise

I think, mainly;

Of course anytime you introduce a new and strenuous routine to the body and target area it is going to be sore.

4. blackbelt92

blackbelt92 Valued Member

Glad you accomplished it! I'm also not naturally flexible, but I have noticed improvement in my flexibility since beginning martial arts!

I do the frog stretch, and I completely agree that it is worth it. However, regarding the nuts... what if I am not a guy :p

That is true. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it. Sometimes I have the tendency to get... overzealous when I begin a new routine. :)

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can do the splits someday!

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

You may be sore if you do isometric stretching, but you should NEVER be sore if you are doing passive static stretching. IF you are then you are pushing way too hard and will not be seeing results.

6. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

well, if you're working on a stretching routine like ones they usually do in clubs during classes (ie. warming up slowly, like reaching to the toes etc for individual muscle groups and working on splits) you'll probably be sore for the first few months. just remember to do light stretching the next day. if someone can post a vid that'd be nice, or you can youtube em yourself.

Remember light stretching, you don't want to force yourself, and take your time. you don't want to rush things when your muscles are sore.

give yourself rest on the weekend. rest is ALL IMPORTANT.

stretch every day. in the beginning i used to to a complete routine every two days and light stretching in between. now i do the routine alternate days.

=)

7. righty

righty Valued Member

What type of stretching causes the pain? Isometric? Static? It could be normal or it could be dangerous. Are you combining it with a strength program? More info required.