Muscle Stiffness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Godzilladude123, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Godzilladude123

Godzilladude123 New Member

How do you get rid of these things???

In some mornings I would wake up, feeling a bit heavier than usual and my leg muscles being all stiff. I dont have any athritis, but it can be painful in the muscles trying to squat or bend you legs. This has seriusly affective my training since these muscle stiffness can last a day to even three whole days. It feels like your legs are sore after working out in the morningn, yet I havent really did much heavy workout.

A doctor nutritionist friend of mine suggested that i drink Naproxen to get rid of it. But Im asking now if you guys know any exercises or techniques of getting out of bed or stretching that can help me prevent it from happening :(

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Are you doing BJJ? 'Cause that's normal. :p

Seriously, you're doing athletics, man. Of course you're sore. Stretch more than you have been, and don't quit. If you have to take it slow in class sometimes, take it slow in class sometimes. You're working your body, so of course there will be sore days.

And drink more water than you have been drinking. More water = less soreness. I don't understand the "why" but it really does make a difference.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I forgot what it was like to not have soreness/stiffness :D then I have a week off any activity whilst on holiday and as if by magic it all goes away.

NSAID I would avoid for "regular" soreness. Look at alternative ways to alleviate;
    Light activity, stretching, massage, hot/cold bath,

I'm with @aikiMac loads of water certainly helps! I chug 2 pints as soon as I wake up, it makes a big difference.

General diet can help, if you eat a lot of junk food then your body is dealing with more rubbish instead of helping with general inflammation.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

More sleep and more food for recovery. If it's still there after eating lots of good food and plenty of sleep, then maybe be worried.

5. Godzilladude123

Thanks guys. Yeah maybe Im just getting scared since I fear a day without training would hinder me. Ill take it slow and drink more water. Better stretching exercise like what axelb might help too.

Also, Im not a BJJ guy but I am a practicing boxer and kickboxer.

Ill try to update soon about my progress.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Inflammation is one of the worst conditions for the human body and also the most common side effect of any kind of training (including just walking). AlexB is right about NSAIDS like ibuprofen and Naproxen, don't make it a daily habit for your organs' sake, then again if you really are hurting popping 2 now and then will make you feel better all over for about a day at best.

There are loads of external remedies. Icy hot is an old favorite for pinpoint inflammation especially the hands, elbows and knees. OR anything mentholated. Epsom salt baths are another lifesaver for many people. One of my favorite things to do feeling sore after training is a cool down soak in a salt bath. Once you're ready to start stretching again, things like a warm steam bath can be a real blessing before training again. Sometimes just the right way of warming back up is all your muscles really want.

I've used this stuff too, it's basically menthol roll-on. Hope this doesn't break a rule about links, I just like the product for injuries and general soreness. Protip, don't get it anywhere near your face.

Biofreeze | #1 Clinically Recommended Brand - Biofreeze

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

If that's anything like Tiger Balm/deep heat, also keep it away from you upper inside leg (another protip from someone who used it on a sore adductor):oops::eek:

8. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

Training every day won't allow enough time for recovery, you need rest days. Not necessarily doing nothing, but a lot lighter work on those muscles.

How long have you been training?

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I find "not training" solves my DOMS quite well..

Frodocious, axelb and Shmook like this.
  10. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Try foam rolling/triggerpoint. It can help a lot.

axelb, Monkey_Magic and Simon like this.
  11. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

12. Godzilladude123

Just tried foam rolling. Thanks man. It felt great :)

axelb and Morik like this.