Muscle pop/strain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by [T][K][D], Feb 10, 2009.

1. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

Hi guys,

Ok basically I have a slight problem with my muscle just on the outer side of my armpit; about 1~2 cm from the centre of my armpit to the outer side. I've been doing boxing for about 6 months now (and loving it!) It was a problem before I started boxing, but I never cared for it much as I didn't do many push ups or weights. Basically what happens quite often is, I do push ups or something similar, and my muscle pops out. Its quite painful and I have to wait for it to go back in. It's not so painful that I need surgery (I think) but it is very annoying because I can never do more than 10 push ups without it popping out; and yes, it is impossible to keep on going when it does pop out. Any info/ideas on what the problem may be and what I should do? Thanks!~

2. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Congrats!! This is the scariest injury I have read about on MAP so far!!

Yes, you need to see a doc about that. That COULD be a rotator cuff problem. If it is and you continue to train with it injured (or at least to continue to train in the wrong manner) you could end up doing permanent damage.

It might NOT be that, but it is still something you need to check out. Especially since you are doing boxing since that is something where you have your hands up all the time.

3. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

muscle's can pop out O.O wth.......

4. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

Well its not so painful that I need to go to the doctors (im pretty sure about that.) Its not my rotator cuff, I looked it up, and its my Infraspinatus or Teres Major Muscle. Arghhh its annoying!

5. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

lack of pain does not equal no doctor trip.

If you ever want to be able to gain strength you need to get it fixed IMO

6. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

the infraspinatus forms part of your rotator cuff...

Sorry, been studying for functional anatomy exams...

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

to back up previous advice: get to a doctor!! I could be worng but a muscle popping out ain't ever a good thing

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Yeah doctor time, could be minor, could be more serious. Treating yourself and looking up your symptoms will only lead to guess work.