Muscle building/conditioning question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by progdan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. chof

chof Valued Member

12 sets read the thread

2. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I did...as well as many others
    You're the only person that claims that. Any way to back those claims?

3. URBAN_ONI

URBAN_ONI Valued Member

Progdan what have you done!!!!!!! :eek::) nah just kidden, but i wouldnt mind findin an answer to your question too as im basically after the same thing.

4. progdan

progdan Valued Member

I know, this thread is turning into a monster! :eek: It does 12x sets per day, and just keeps increasing in size! :lifting: :p

5. chof

chof Valued Member

listen i told you my qualifications, im not one to be posting lnks, because i really dont care, but pick up a body building mag and check out the training routine and you will see at least for or five exercises for each muscle totaling at least 12 sets or more, even better get off your but and give it a try, remember its called a workout, not a fast out of the gym, 5 sets per muscle group is for b,s

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I don't think you're grasping the whole concept of strength training vs. hypertrophy training.
    Saying that 5x5 system is b.s. is pretty much going against what guys like Ripetoe, Ross Enamait, etc are saying about strenght training.
    And, by the way, this is martialartsplanet.com not bodybuilding.com if you haven't noticed....

Cheers.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yes- of sissy exercises ;) I don't know why you keep going on about your 'qualifications' when your talk suggests they aren't worth the paper they're printed on. That or- more likely- they don't exist :D

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. chof

chof Valued Member

you dont have to be a match stick to be a martial artist, look at andy hugg, he had legs as big as a house

9. Knight_Errant

And this proves what? what the hell are you on about now?

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Chof I notice you have a long list, in your profile, of MA that you study; muat thai, tkd,long fistwing chun ,jeet kune do, shotokan, ninjitsu. That's an awful lot do you train in all these all the time?

11. chof

chof Valued Member

my first art was shotokan, i was a black belt at 16 and i kick boxed, i taught for a while also over the years i mastered many, now i incorporate all techniques together, but i prefer chinese martial arts for there spirtual aspect, i practice qi gong, so when i do train the qi points the way to the technique i will use

12. Dean Winchester

Some might say that's a pretty arrogant attitude to claim you've mastered many.
    Anyway what's your Ninjutsu background, just out of interest.

13. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Chof, dean alerted me to your BS a couple of hours ago so i have been doing a bit of research, first of all a fair amount of words you have come out with such as sarcoplasm are things i found after only being on my computer for 2 minutes, did you find it on wiki by any chance?

Secondly you are full of crap, working out just the times for your 100sets makes me realise you are a bit of a joke, 100 sets, say 30 seconds for the set plus a base 2mins for rest period (you do rest dont you? or are you superman as well? ) thats 250 minutes, thats a workout of 4hours 10 minutes, now let me know if i'm wrong but thats just foolish for anyone...

Looking into hypertrophy where i spend a lot of my time it is specified everywhere, and i mean everywhere i have scoured on the internet for the last two hours (i would like to see your evidence or a scan of your degree which i think is BS or you would be professional enough not to give out this rubbish) that the range of reps should be 6-15 reps or Light enough weights for good form, heavy enough to force growth the general sensus give 4 sets of 8-12 reps for best performance.

If i take 4 sets for each body part and do thre exercises, say
    3x back x 4 sets
    3x chest x 4 sets
    3x arms x 4 sets
    3x shoulders x 4 sets
    3x legs x 4 sets

Thats 60 sets, if i could do all of that in one session i would be proud but i would guess by reaching half way i would be ready to collapse..

so to be honest unless you can come up with any specific proof then i think the general concensus is BS.

14. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

I'm looking at muscle & fitness right now, one page gives me a power workout (all over body) with 9 exercises totaling 27 sets, another back workout gives me 15 set so you could be right about the highlighted part but i'm not reading 100sets anywhere....

15. Knight_Errant

And? I'd understand you putting that paragraph into a 'hi everybody' thread, but just randomly like that? why?

16. chof

chof Valued Member

because somone asked why i studied many arts? i thought i was full of it? so you have found 51 sets combined, have you heard of supersets, little or no rest? 51 may seem to work for this guy, maybe 100 for someone else? i said 12 to 20, i do twenty sets of dead lifts stiffies for my abs, i work out for a couple of hours yes i do, when you study or practice martial arts do you do it for 15 minutes or a half hour, i kick a bag for thirty minutes, also, answering someone elses thread, i have trained in traditional ninjutsu, acrobatics, mental training, meditation, strategy it incorporates throws, locks anatomy, techniques from many arts

17. Knight_Errant

I've heard of supersets, yes. Sitting down and doing 100 sets on the other hand is unheard of.

18. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

If i was doing supersets i would be doing the same amount of sets but supersetting between sets, i wouldnt be adding another 51 say, not sure where this 51 has come from, unless you cant count, but whether i did 4 sets of bench and 4 sets of low row separately or did 4 sets of supersets i would still only do the total of 8 sets, you do understand the concept of supersets dont you that it doesnt mean to do even more sets?

You are full of it dude...oh, and got that proof yet or your degree?

19. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

does it? which stream and where?

20. Dean Winchester

Traditional Ninjutsu?

Which style?