Muscle building/conditioning question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by progdan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Oh sorry i thoughed you did say that hypertrophy always results in more strenght my bad. Well hypertrophy is nice but if your restriced by a weight class then you cant put on extra muslce training the nervous system is the way to go.

2. chof

chof Valued Member

yes that is true the nervous system must be trained also, but that is not a strength issue

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh yeah, definetly. I just think that in general strength vs. hypertrophy is a flawed method for choosing a rep range. It's much better to select based on a trainee's needs and not least the effects of the specific exercise.

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I'll put in my own perspective:

I started weight training when I was young, but I got real serious a few years ago and started with 5x5. I got good results with it, but nothing spectacular.

I started doing 10x3 and I got to my highest weight of my life. I went from 175 lbs to 215 lbs in a few months. Yes, that is based on diet, but my lifts also double or tripled in some cases. For instance, my bench was a measly 135lbs and after the 10x3 I went up to 220 or so. I tried cutting fat after this and messed it up really horribly and dropped to 180lbs and my strength went with it.

After all of this, I kinda stopped training, started drinking a lot, and became lazy. Haha oops. Now, for the past 3 months Ive been doing crossfit type stuff and more specifically as of recently, the routines in Infinite Intensity.

I might not be as strong as I was a couple years ago, but Ive never felt in better shape. I can punch for hours, run for miles, jump higher, run faster, and knock the bag around really well. I wont win any lifting competitions, but overall, I feel much healthier, agile, flexible, and my strength feels more overall powerful and cohesive. (This is probably due to the intense core work)

Anyways, take that as you will

5. chof

chof Valued Member

5 sets no good, wont work 90 percent of people dont know what they are doing, i gave you the tip thats it!

6. Knight_Errant

From the sounds of it mate, you're definetly one of the 90 per cent. That or a troll. Nobody does 100 sets per exercise because a)it's massive overkill. You'd die. b)if you did manage to do 100 sets per exercise, they'd lack intensity to such an extent that you'd be basically wasting your time.

7. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

5 sets no good? :\ Im beginning to think you are just trolling now.

5x5 is the bread and butter of weight training. Thats like saying you shouldn't use dumbbells.

I mean, an entire life of doing nothing but 5x5 is one thing, but throwing it in for a few weeks, either as a beginner or a more experienced lifter, cant possibly be considered inadequate or useless...

8. chof

chof Valued Member

its not 100 sets per exercise more like twenty per exercise read my lips hypertrophy starts at 12 to 20 sets, 5 sets per muscle group is good for a beginer yes, if you want size12 to 20 sets per muscle group, ill do 0ver twenty sets for my bi, s alone example 5 sets dumbell curl, 5 preacher curl, 5 hammer curl, 5concentration, 5 zottmans, 5 cheat, you get it

9. Knight_Errant

It's 100 sets per workout? You should have said so then. It's still overkill, though.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Are you saying sarcoplasmic is not hypertrophy? You're not too good with these terminologies are you? As for your hundred sets a day, I'd like to see you post up a vid of your workouts - by the sound of it you must have amaaaaaazing size and strength.

11. Stuart H

Hilariously wrong.

Because that's the only reason to train your legs eh? And it's not like training your upper body releases any HGH or IGF-1 is it...

That's why there's a linear relationship with muscle size and flexibility, with skinny Chinese acrobats being the least flexible and Ronnie Coleman being the most so... oh wait....

12. chof

chof Valued Member

so you have a degree in sports medicine and exercise? i do

13. Knight_Errant

You have a degree in bullshitting, that much is clear.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wasn't there a picture floating around of ronnie coleman doing the splits? i know i've seen it posted here on map some years back...

15. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Oh dear, it would appear I've started some kind of war here... haha, thanks for all the varied advice though. I'm not really interested in becoming 'massive' anyway, just increasing my weight and strength as I proportionately increase my flexibility and agility in order to be both quick and strong to compliment the technique which I'm learing. :)

16. Stuart H

And claiming this with no evidence refutes my observation that you have no understanding of muscle's adaptation to exercise on a hormonal level, a statement that can be corroborated by reading easily-accessible literature? :rolleyes:

17. Stuart H

I can't find it on Google, but would like to see it if you got it. Having said that, ability to perform full splits isn't the sole correlate of appropriate flexibility for optimum performance in sports.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@ww: true that, although it's still a very good indicator that someone is flexible, or at least, has the capability to develop flexibility.

couldn't find the image either (i've been searching for it for years) but i did find this: http://www.shengolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/n572600785_93170_2403-300x198.jpg

you also have to consider that while gymnasts aren't usually pro bodybuilder sized, they're still bigger than a good portion of the non-gymnast population of the world.

i'm not saying that getting flexible is easy no matter who you are, though, you DO have to work on it, however, it might be a factor that the psychological mindset required to effectively strength train will undoubtedly help a lot to train your flexibility properly, since one will be used to exerting oneself, not like the skinny dudes who say they'll never be flexible because they can't do a full split and then rage if you try to make them touch their ankles; imo, i'd say a bodybuilder is more likely to be flexible than one of those.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  19. chof

chof Valued Member

good point, fish, ok its quite simple if you understand mass, everyone agrees that muscle can be stretched rght? so if you have 1 stick of gum and 5 sticks of gum clumped together which will stretch further? of course the clump with more mass, i am a hockey player and a martial artist , i have legs the size of most peoples waist, i have no problem throwin very high kicks

20. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Isn't anything over 12 reps pretty much endurance training?

There's no way that hypertrophy starts at 12 reps...