Multiple Opponents

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Humble Guy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

Hey peeps,
    I've seen alot of posts recently on the topic of being up against more than one aggressor. I was just wondering if anyone trains against multiple opponents, and what sort of tactics you employ against this sort of scenario?
    I'd be interested to hear how different styles deal with this all too common danger.
    PS: Richdog, great to hear about your new club.

-M.

2. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

well, i think most CMA practice to fight against multiple opponents ....... no ?

I know that with Baji the techniques where kept simple, fast and powerfull so you could put one guy out of action and continue with the rest. Not to much combinations just plain simple elbow smashing :D

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

we do sparring against 2,3,4 opponents!

It really pushes you too keep moving, tactics are different to 1 on 1.
    When they know what they're doing also, its really hard to fight against them.

Usually its best to make a sheild out of the weakest one if possible.

or in real situation - run ;)

4. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

ok, so we've had Elbow Smashing and the ol' Human Shield technique. :eek:
    SOE opperatives during WWII were taught to kick when up against multiple opponents, with a lot of emphasis on their stance to make sure they stayed on their feet. I suppose this kept the attackers at a distance.

Any other ways of dealing with multiple attacks?

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

yeh we sometimes sparr 3,4 on 1. i always find the best way to fight is to attack them first, one at a time if you can, before they all get close in on you. like mengcunman says, you have to just be brutal. in real life i feel against 4 big guys on the street, you wouldnt have a chance.

6. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

yeah I agree. My friend got mugged the other day. He's about 6"1' and 18stone. He was walking down the street and two guys came beside him and took his phone. One guy cycled off the other guy my mate lifted him off his feet and "asked" him where he could get his phone back and wait for the police. Before he knew it he was being attacked by five other people plus the original guy. This is a man mountain who is very proficcient in Wing Chun. Numbers were against him that day. If it was two or three I think maybe my friend may have been able to deal with it. He limped away needing stitches to his ear, lots of cuts and bruises and a Reebok symbol on his forehead, which means they were stamping on his face. What world are we living in these days? -A nice story to remind my students to "Walk away".

7. Hiroji

yeh thats a sad story. sorry to hear that. there is just nothing you can do in that place, i dont care what style you do. Your right mate, the best technique to use is the "Nike" technique.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That sucks dude, but an unfortunate reality. Most CMAs are designed for multiple attackers, but it still seems like take on one at a time.
    The only thing I was told about dealing with possible multiple attackers is either hostage taking or walking away.

9. Mut Sao

Mut Sao New Member

.... what did mr miyagi say? best defence no be there.

multiples is no easy feat best way to deal with it is run away (u do not have to fight to win) if you have to fight keep to the flanks try to change the fight into a series of 1 on 1's use your opponents to get in each others way... keep moving, find the gap run away. NEVER go through the middle.

10. Hiroji

Hasnt anyone seen fists of fury???? thats how you take on multiples!

11. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

:D
    if everybody want to wait for their turn .... then you can get a good fight .... indeed !

aaahhh .... movies... aren't they great ;)

12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

ah yes, the hostage situation is another one,

get them in a wrist/arm lock and use them as a hostage,
    and don't hesitate to break :)

In some situations people will not want to risk of having their limbs broken, or joints dislocated.

or run :)

13. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i do 2,3 and 4 on one person sparring, but non ful lcontact sparrign with multiple attackers is harder than a real fight against multiple attackers which is good i suppose depending on how you look at it.
    Any way heres my two cents
    1) use moves that can take a person out in one shot e.g punches to the throat, remeber all the ways to win a fight, e.g take away their, breath, eye sight mobility ect and use moves that accomplishs these effectivly
    2) split the group up move about a bit so they do not all attack you at ounce, take for this example,
    scenario:
    you are surrounded by opponents, no way out
    solution:
    smash through the weakest person and run, when they chase after you the fastest ones will reach you first, as they catch up with u strike them suddenly, note they will also be running into your strike. keep doing this until no one is attacking you.

14. Mut Sao

Mut Sao New Member

ummm... u would seriously attack the weakest LOOKING guy first? what if he is in the middle and flanked by the biggest guys? didn't you ever learn don't judge a book by its cover? moving into the middle of a pack is asking for a whipping! also relying on a single strike is quite a dangerous thing... what if you miss? what if it has little to no effect? what makes it harder to spar multiples than to fight multiples? have you ever fought multiples? :eek: :confused: :eek:

i agree look for taking out theones you need quick and also if you run and they start to catch you turn and attack them don't wait for them to be on you.

15. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Carry a knife, that goes a long way on evening the playing field. Just showing a butterfly knife would make them hesitant to attack, because no one would want to be the first to jump in.

16. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

I think it depends on the number of opponents. I've trained for being attacked by 3 people or so, but I'm not gonna run down the street into the karate dojo and just start wailing on the whole class. I say if its over 4 people, just run.

17. Mut Sao

Mut Sao New Member

Radok:

if you carry a knife i hope you are prepared to use it... i hope you are prepared for gaol if you kill or injure someone with a knife... even if they attack you you are carring a concealed weapon. i hope your moral principle allows for pre meditated murder... cause that is the result of using a knife you carry :confused:

Geeniusatwurk:

Are you that good? or just a fool.... you train multiple attackers with weapons? you train multiples that have INTENT to destroy you? :bang:

18. mididoctors

mididoctors Valued Member

get really good one on one and your ability vs more than improves as well.

fighting multiple opponents requires you act quickly against individuals in the group and must AT LEAST present a image of effectiveness against your opponents to 'win' the struggle.

simple trips footsweeps well performed are effective as putting one or more atackers on their **** in a short space of time looks more devasting than it actually is IE the gang gets the impression they are losing or things are not quite so clear cut as they thought.. gangs react badly to having you standing and their members on the ground.. note no real damage need be inflicted (thou it certainly helps) to create this effect

this hesitation creates the space to operate...

it is pointless to over think multiple opponents if you can not out manuver defeat one... it will come if you develop quick and effective techniques

one on one IS one vs many

Boris
    London

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  19. Hung-Fut

Hung-Fut Valued Member

Train harder

Train harder. personally I've trained for MULTIPLE attackers. By multiple, I mean a few hundred. My sifu found it necessary to teach me that when the monks defended themselves using my style... it was against invaders. And there was never one invader. So I was trained to take on a lot of attackers. I can't actually take on hundreds, but with enough motivation I can take one attacker after another for quite sometime, and just yesterday I took on four at one time. But, if you're not confident in your training or that many attackers wasn't part of your training don't risk it. There's not really going to be more than 5 which should be a simple number as long as you're OK with breaking them ASAP. Brutal? maybe, but it works. And if you're outnumbered like that with no escape, it may be necessary. look for the escape at all times though.

20. mididoctors

mididoctors Valued Member

how many did you take on the day before yesterday?

Boris
    London