Multiple opponents

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I have done and still do Wing Chun. As for ignoring the hip turn I think you may have made the mistake of assuming that Wing Chun only uses chain punching techniques, but this is not the case. Wing Chun uses a variety of punches- sure the most common one you will see used (especially by new Wing Chunners) is the chain punch but if you train with someone who knows there stuff you'll soon find out their are plenty of other punches, some of which use hip turning. In my club they even call a certain punch, 'a turning punch' and as the name suggests it usually involes a hip turn :) My earlier point was that while turning the hip is proven for generating power, if your throwing a punch while being well grounded you can also most definitely involve your hip in generating power for the strike without necessarily having to turn it.

2. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Right on, to be honest I've always admired Wing Chun and have wanted to take it for some time. I'm an MMA at heart.
    A lot of the Shou Shuists I know are real militant about shou shu and only shou shu. I really like Tattooed Bear's attitude of "shou shu and whatever works"
    In a fight you have to be resourceful and innovative. I feel well rounded as a grappler, striker, and weapons user. So I can transist into whatever the situation requires.

3. Richie

Richie New Member

Thank you. You have done nothing here but validate a point I made earlier when I said -

You have now taken a completely OBJECTIVE point and made it a personal attack on myself.
    You have now taken someones attitude towards an art you study from being indifferent to utter contempt and this is 100% down to you

p.s. Hip turn - WC does not leave out the hip turn. Also, I wasnt taking it out of context, I was stating some similiarities to (beleive it or not) help ppl understand a bit more.

More fool me for being tolerant to an obviously ignorant reader.

4. Guerilla Fists

I'm through debating with you, you have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread. You should leave and start your own thread about something germain to the forum. Or you could actually answer the question asked in the thread.
    More than welcome to contribute. But I will not continue to debate with a fool because then the fool might be doing the same.

5. Richie

Richie New Member

I dont beleive you ever started. A debate involves listening, understanding and (if necessary) replying with constructive and thought out replies to explain the other side of the argument. I have yet to see any of this

I'll get my coat... I wont be drawn into a battle of wits against an unarmed man.

6. Guerilla Fists

Hey, as long as your leaving...I got no complaints.

7. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Recap For Crying Out Loud

In addition to the above I will ask this, HOW DO YOU TRAIN FOR MULTIPLE OPPONENTS, if you dont why not? This has nothing to do with Shou' Shu' only it is a broad question for all practitioners of all arts. it is a hey lets compare ideas. not a thread to get "you cant do that its impossible attitude"

Salute,

Blue

8. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

LOL. nice one, I'll remember that .... although it'll sound second hand from my mouth...

9. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

That has nothing to do with training for multiple opponents.

10. Guerilla Fists

And it's not even original, he stole it from an episode from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air when Will takes a western Philosophy class...thereby negating whatever wit Richie claimed to do battle with in the first place! LOL.

11. kickcatcher

So go on, enlighten us. :)

12. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I have already laid the basis of training in the reply to Andy. so go back past all the B.S. and read that post. then from that post answer the freaking question.

How do you train for Mulitiple Opponents and if you dont why?

Salute,

Blue

13. kickcatcher

LOL. What's freaky about my question?
    What techniques is a Shou Shu fighter likely to use? Are they deadly techniques or strikes to vital targets? All this ripping people like a tiger - how do you train them without killing eachother?

I don't train multiple opponents but then I don't claim to be able to take on 4-5 or 10 or whatever.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't train against multiples. I train to do the best I can against whatever comes in my general direction. How many are throwing that "whatever" is largely just playing with numbers.

I am not syaing that i do not believe it is possible to beat multiple opponents(I have "defeated" three people), but to beat ten you will have to be fighting "tin cans". Ten opponents of any ability or real mindset will kill you - regardless of style. Hell, two with a positive mindset will rip you a new butt!

I must stress that this next comment is not a bait, hook or troll before we get further.

If you are able to beat then people then please do a demo video of some kind and post it. From the view of expanding my knowledge base it is an interesting proposition, and it is also a way to show the beauty of your art. Until you can provide such proof, then lets not descend into a "Yes I can"/"No you can't" argument. I will remain an interested, if unconvinced, MAP'er until then.

Bahala Na!

15. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

progressive striking with the hands and feet. soft hand punches, tiger punches, tiger claws. crane strikes, cobras strikes and punches. mantis(i.e. Chin Na), Mongoose, Bear, Dragon. eye strikes, chops, ridge hands. use of the opponent against himself and other attackers.

16. Guerilla Fists

That was badazz what SS Townsend did with the stick demo!

17. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

your being biased LOL

18. Guerilla Fists

maybe a little...

19. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Rather than looking through them all are there any particular clips you would point to that demonstrate Shou Shu vs. multiple opponents best?

20. Guerilla Fists

Check out Shun Shifu Townsend. I wasn't trying to be biased, but it was the first I saw with multiple attackers. Now granted it isn't likely you will get jumped by batton wielding thugs everyday, but it's cool to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.