Multiple opponents

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Andy,
    Duely noted.
    Now you see why we keep to our own. We can barely get a few posts out before the moderators themselves start making a mokery of our style.
    But now speaking on my own behalf in addition to recognizing the gem that Shou Shu is I also am a grappling and weapons enthusiast to which I contribute constructive convo on the other forums. So for someone to label as another simpleton with a superiority complex is ignoring the dynamics and versatility of my career as a martial artist.
    Being part of the Shou Shu family I not only feel obligated, but priviliged to defend our name when people try to give it a bad rap without even knowing what it's about.

2. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

OMG that is funny. very true. Multiple skeptics training tonight on HBO thursday night fights.

Andy did my description give you a better understanding??

Salute,

Blue

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I understand that, and I've been there many times myself.

The important thing to do, is not be upset by negative comments made, but search for any elements of truth they may contain. If your style remains untarnished in your eyes, then the opinions don't matter, or rather they'll never matter.

Could I also point out, that this is the Kung Fu section of the forum and not General Discussion.

Therefore posts must all be made in Charlie Chan or Bruce Lee accents.

4. Andy Murray

Yes, thank you Blue.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

First you say...

and then have the gall to say...

Who's isolating whom?

6. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Thank you as well.

Salute,

Blue

7. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Cretins- I was refering to the unconstructive people. If this doesn't apply to you then don't get butthurt about it.

Secondly, that post was directed at Shifu Tiger, not you, so no need to get bent out of shape about it.

Now don't get me wrong YODA, I really do respect the work you do as a moderator. But that comment wasn't directed at you. But I can see how you would get the wrong impression. No worries on this end.

8. Andy Murray

Yoda ain't a Mod, he's Admin, which means no more Shou Shu chat room for you guys if the cookie crumbles that way. Get me?

9. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Multiple opponents is what we should all train against, since that's the way it goes down on the street. I've been thru the ringer against 6-7 wannabe street thugs and came out unscathed. But then again, I recently fought one skilled opponent and had a rough time. But then I used the beer bottle style and it was all over.

Taking on multiple attackers is the true test of a martial art, if you don't at least train for it, then your art isn't very practical.

We never claimed to be invincible, just hard to beat.

10. Eero

Eero Valued Member

I'm not very good fighter yet, so I believe that I could beat maximum of two normal (not martial artists) guys. Lots of training ahead.

11. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

I like your attitude. You can beat 2 opponents just by being willing to do whatever you have to do.

12. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Thank you. I always try to train with an open mind to every possibilities in a fight. I also try to attain the kind of mentality that enables me to use every technique and opportunity to my advantage if I should run into a real fight.

13. Richie

Richie New Member

But this is simply not true else you would not be defending Shou Shu as vigirously as you are.

My own thoughts ?? - I am 50/50 here. That is 50% skeptical but, equally, 50% intrigued. Its because of this and my own "dont dismiss ANYTHING until you are able to see/experience it yourself" attitude that I aint jumping on the bandwagon and slating Shou Shu.

However, if Shou Shu turns out students with attitudes like Tiger up there then thats enough for me to dismiss it as worthless.

Be it multiple opponents or singular opponent, always remember a key fact - "There is always ALWAYS someone bigger, harder and better than yourself"

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I dont actually know of any other style where practitioners claim to be able to take on 10 or more people, most professional fighters don't even claim to be capable of such things (and take professional to mean street fighter or tournament fighter). Instead the people who make similar claims also claim such things as knowing the ancient techniques of ninjas or as being able to punch 28 times a second. Maybe this is why your receiving so much criticism... I mean 10 full grown men could probably take on a polar bear let alone a human being.

However this being said, most groups of attackers aren't the bravest people when alone so if they see a couple of friends get hurt maybe they wont be so keen to fight or maybe you get lucky and they are so disorganised that they basically come one at a time. Maybe defeating 10 people isn't beyond the realm of possibility but its important to realise that in such a situation probably 19 times out of 20 the lone person is going to get a serious hiding. Claiming that this simply isn't the case for Shou Shu-ists will inevitably raise eyebrows.

Anyway suspending my own disbelief for a while I have a question; are you suggesting that you could deal with 10 attackers who are attacking simultaneously or are you suggesting that you can control the fight so that they are coming at you basically one at a time. If you train with 10 people surrounding you can they all attack at once or do they have to take it in turns?

P.S. Any chance that anyone has any video's of Shou Shu defences against multiple opponents being practiced.

15. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

What if the people your fighting are willing to do whatever they have to do as well?

16. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

Very interesting. I must say that after reading this thread, i see validity in your claims. While I have never seen you in real combat, I can see the philosphy behind your art.

Personally, my method of dealing with multiple attackers is that of Musashi. If you're curious, look it up in the BOok of Five Rings.

17. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I reckon I could beat the c*** out of any individual nine-year old, provided they had no MA background and had one arm missing.

HTH.

GhostFrog feels trollish today.... :p

18. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

On a serious note, a well known liverpool ju jitsu 6th dan got jumped by four men a few years ago, and he was hurt, but hurt them more.

19. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

I'm really not sure how peopel can be skeptical about beating 4 people... in ancient times... it was quite common to be ambushed. Many survived these encounters... and I HIGHLY doubt ambushes were done by only one person.

20. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Yes, you're right, but I think that what can set doubt in people's minds is if they experience being on the wrong end of two or three people. Then they really question claims of coming out unscathed against larger numbers.

There have got to be too many variables involved to accurately predict the outcome of an encounter. It's going to depend on the intent of the attackers, their experience and strength and the environmental conditions in which the encounter occurs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.